• CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 12:21pm (Apr 25th 2012)

There were so many lambs, everywhere you looked there were little scrunched up faces peeking back at you :smile: The little black lambs were gorgeous but I didn't manage to a get a photo of them, and there were some who had black heads and legs that were adorable too :001_smile:

Kasper has been enjoying his new treats lately: pig's willies om nom nom! :ack2:
    The pet shop tried to get away with calling them pig's tails, I said to the man at the counter "they ain't pigs tails..." :rolling:

Right, can't put it off any longer, we're gonna have to take him out in torrential rain...if I'm not back later I've drowned in a deep puddle
    :help:
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 2:21am (Apr 26th 2012)

HA HA HA are you back yet??!!
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 4:14pm (Apr 26th 2012)

Ugh, just about...done another two wet walks, we're really sick of it now heh. None of our waterproofs are drying in time for the next wet walk, and since Lyle's wellie got a hole in it towards the end of our holiday we're going through plastic bags like I don't know what whilst he tries (and fails!) to keep his foot in the holey wellie dry...

Several manholes have burst in the village as the water level is so high...thank god we still have a hosepipe ban on though! :glare:
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 5:43pm (Apr 26th 2012) edited

Here is our poor dog, he's only just dried and we're taking him out in the rain again! :smile:

Thankfully he loves the rain, but our house definitely has a nice odour of wet dog at the moment! I'm so glad we don't have a long haired dog that needs lots of drying and brushing whenever it gets wet...I'm also immensely relieved that we did a nice amount of counter conditioning so Kasper copes well with being dried now! :P
      tads6.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 29th, 2012 9:07pm (Apr 29th 2012)

Video of Kasper taking my hat off for me... :)

• CommentTimeApr 30th, 2012 4:36pm (Apr 30th 2012) edited

Our dog played wonderfully with a grumpy JRT cross today, I think it was crossed Collie. It was squat and chubby and quite grizzly, but secretly enjoyed playing, and Kasp loved it and played very nicely too! I tried to get a video of them together but by the time I got the phone out the little dog had moved away and Kasp was walking with us.

It's the first dog he's got chance to play with off-lead in ages, so he really enjoyed it.
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2012 10:03pm (Apr 30th 2012) edited

Kasper has gotten chubby!! :gasp: :rolling:

It's the new food he's on, Autarky! It's the one and only food to put weight on him, and now his harness barely fits him hahaha! I'm so impressed with it, no food has managed that before, so well done to them...time to feed him a little bit less though me thinks! :bigsmile:

It's only taken about a week!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 10:26am (May 1st 2012)

Kasper is so quick and alert Red, and I love the way he 'hoovers' up the treats. Good boy!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 11:25am (May 1st 2012)

He really is a super fast learner, see in *some* ways his intelligence is a plus! Yeah, I tend to either use lots of kibble, or really smelly high value treats when he's first learning a trick. Once he understands the tricks I lower the reward he gets. When the tricks is considered old I chain a few together before he gets a reward :smile:

I gave Kasper *another* hair cut last night, I swear I'm giving him them like twice a week and every time I cut off like 3 - 4 handfulls of hair! It's growing like crazy and I'm trying to keep it short in case the sunny weather returns...haha.
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 12:09am (May 3rd 2012)

Kasp has been a gem today...about time he's been a nightmare the past week!!

He got to say hello to my dad tonight which he loved, especially as he brought Kasp a new toy :smile: My dad stuck around 5 minutes and it was long enough to watch it get destroyed hahaha.

Kasp was way hyper-wired tonight, but in a fun way. We played some hide and seek games, did some training, tuggy and the 'which toy do you like best' game...it was fun! I was a bit miffed about something earlier too, and he came pootling over and plonked his bum on me for a hug...it was perfectly timed :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 4:13pm (May 3rd 2012) edited

Bought Kasper some goodies today...some dog milk, two packs of different treats and a knobbly rubber ball. Solid rubber and he destroyed it within a minute! He's still enjoying giving it a good chomp though :smile:

He looooved the dog milk too! Downed the whole carton!

The pic where he looks psycho is from last night...look at those eyes! :shocked:
      bike3.jpg
      bike4.jpg
      bike5.jpg
      bike2.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 7:19pm (May 3rd 2012) edited

Oh wow, the situation our poor dog was put in tonight...

There we are walking the field, Kasper's happily exploring, and a ****** huge Rottie races across from the other side to him. Kasp jumped out of his skin and fled a bit, then parked his bum to say hello. Other dog lopes off, Kasper is euphoric he managed to say hello to this big black dog (he's very nervy with big black dogs as he's been attacked by a lot of them) and tries to play, running up and bowing then running away.

Rottie is aggressive a few times, just growling and chasing him off. Kasper copes fine and sees this as play, good. No sign of the Rottie's owner and we recognise the dog as straying before, I was the one who ran after the owner and brought her to the field where the Rottie was. He can jump the back fence, so we guessed he'd done it again :001_rolleyes:

Unfortunately we had no way of knowing where the Rottie lived, and he was sticking to us like glue. His aggression stepped up, he ran growling at our dog and bowled him over making Kasp yelp. Oh s**t!
    :gasp:

Eventually we put Kasp on-lead and tried to walk away, leaving the Rottie behind. Nope, still following us. Thankfully acting much better now Kasp wasn't going near him. Followed us down the country lane and almost got hit by a car, no way to call him to us as he didn't respond to come, and the driver hurled abuse at us. Great.

Followed us down to busier roads and we realised we needed to do something. As Kasper's lead is two clipped together, Lyle took Kasper and began walking home on a chain lead with no handle - risky but we had nothing else to do. I was able to encourage the Rottie to come to me and sit whilst I clipped the lead on (he knew sit and paw) and read the number on his collar...but we didn't have a phone with us.

On walking back to our house to use the phone, we bumped into some other people and I asked if they had a mobile. They phoned the owner and I walked to the place where she was, about 10 mins away. I told her the Rottie was being aggressive to other dogs and it was quite an intimidating situation to be put in, and she said she couldn't understand why, he loves playing with other dogs etc etc...she was quite nice really, she'd adopted the Rottie not that long ago and he came in as a cruelty case...

But wow it was NOT a nice situation to be in!! But man was I proud of Kasper. He tried to play so nicely, he walked well on-lead, he didn't get stressed or over-excited...he made the whole situation a lot easier! :)
    :yay_jump:
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 11:50pm (May 3rd 2012)

Well done to all of you!! Maybe the rottie isn't as aggressive when the owner is around - it could be that he sees her as his comfort blanket and is better behaved. At least his aggression didn't escalate to dangerous proportions, though it sounds like it came close. Had the rottie escaped from her garden or had she lost him while walking?
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2012 3:55pm (May 4th 2012) edited

Her garden fence is low, so the Rottie can jump over *sigh* :glare:

It was horrible...didn't wanna have Kasp on-lead because if the Rottie attacked him he couldn't get away, didn't want to have him off-lead because he just wanted to play and we weren't close enough to stop the Rottie attacking him...didn't want to try put the Rottie on-lead because it might eat my arm!! :tooth:

And then it almost got hit by a car, some bicycles...it wouldn't leave us alone...ugh :glare:

Just a horrible and intimidating situation to be put in (not to mention dangerous!) because an owner can't be bothered to put some fencing up...
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2012 5:57pm (May 4th 2012)

Not the same dog as Lyle knocked on the door of (bad grammar, sorry!) the other day?
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2012 11:33pm (May 5th 2012)

If Lyle knocks on next door (or to be honest if we walk past their window) the two Westies inside start barking. It's quite cute, we can faintly hear them from our house, one barks and the other howls haha! :tooth:

They do it whenever someone walks past their house now, they've gotten much yappier since we lived here!

Yaay! Kasper did some AWESOME impulse control tonight, I was SO happy! Leave it we've been working on since we got him, so over a year, but in this vid the kibble actually bounces off his chest and he still leaves it, so that's pretty impressive!

And I've only worked on the other impulse control once, on holiday, so we've done it twice for about five minutes each. Essentially, all you used to have to do was stretch or hop and Kasper would launch himself at your chest, so we play a game where when his paws stay on the floor, he gets treats! Within minutes I was able to jump, hop, run, it's so fun! And isn't he clever?! :smile:

It must take so much self-restraint! He does still occasionally jump up for the running, but he was on his best behaviour in this video!

• CommentTimeMay 10th, 2012 1:24pm (May 10th 2012) edited

This is what happens when I point the camera at the dog and say "You're smelly, you smell, oi smelly" over and over again :tooth:

He's not smelly, I was just trying to get a reaction :P

It took a good few minutes until he raised his head from sleeping and stared at me as if to say "Will you bloody shut up!!" haha...I love annoying him, serves him right for all the times he winds us up! :face-devil-grin:
      dog.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2012 3:09pm (May 12th 2012) edited

When we got back from the fair we took Kasper out for an extra walk to try spot our taddies in the stream they were released in. Our friend came too and we had to have a few rests because of his foot and Kasper was very well behaved.

This is a ridiculously happy dog at seeing an old friend :smile:
      fair5.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2012 7:11pm (May 16th 2012)

Some old pics just because I cleared out Lyle's phone...completely forgotten when this photo was taken, but I LOVE IT! It catches them both playing and is just too cute :tooth:

Photobucket

And this is one of the big on-leads we do with Kasper...he saw geese

Photobucket

He wanted to chase the geese, and almost took Lyle with him!! :rolling:

Photobucket

The dog has been FANTASTIC today...he's been having shortened walks because I nipped a quick when trimming his dew claws (I know I know I'm a horrible useless owner!) and he has been really well behaved in the house despite the short walks. I really love him, he's a star.
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 3:30pm (May 18th 2012)

It's been a long day...

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 5:38pm (May 18th 2012)

You work that poor dog too hard...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2012 7:01am (May 19th 2012)

Poor little Kasper looks so tuckered out, Red. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 10:11am (May 20th 2012)

He's a lazy lummox when he wants to be...the other day he was sleeping on his chair, really conked out, and I said "Kasp, shall we go walkies?" which normally results in him leaping up, dancing a bit, and running to have his harness put on...this time he didn't move! I said it like three times but he was fast asleep, and we had to wake him up by kissing his snozzle and saying his name :rolling:

That reminds me, I need to put a training vid up for my parents' to watch...we won a little dog training competition on a dog website, oh yeah!
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 11:59am (May 20th 2012)

Just got back from a lovely dog walk and the video is done, voila!

We met the most hyperactive Dalmation in the field ever, she put our dog to shame!! Kasp was a bit overwhelmed by her and just lay on his back whilst she jumped over him repeatedly and battered him hahaha bless him :rolling: He found three pheasants in the field and enjoyed chasing them off too.

After we let him run free in a field that previously had sheep in it, which we've never done before. He loooved some of the smells in there and had a really good time, then I used my most exciting recall-voice ever and he returned straight away :smile:

On our way back the field to the right of the path, which currently has the sheep in, had a deer running about in it. It was only a young one but not tiny, and we got to watch it running around like a loony from the other side of the wall, then it jumped straight across. No run up was needed and the wall was taller than I am, so at least 5 foot 8 inches!
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 6:58pm (May 20th 2012)

Red, you certainly have Kasper trained well, I'm really proud of you!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 7:50pm (May 20th 2012) edited

Thanks Lynn!! :tooth:

We saw Bella the dalmation again on our second walk!! Kasper initiated play this time and oh it was SO lovely! They were playing proper rough and tumble chase type games, really barrelling each other over and jumping at each other, Kasper never gets to play like that! They were playing around the water hole too which turned into a mudhole. Kasper was okay because he was brown but Bella as she was mostly white just turned the same shade as Kasper :rolling:

Her owner was brilliant and said it was really good that Bella was getting to play like this, and that it didn't matter she got dirty as long as she was having fun - hurray! I was stupidly sitting on the ground and got coated with mud by both of them, and Kasper spattered the owners' pants haha! She asked about him and I told him he was adopted and how he used to be really anxious and she said we'd done a really good job as he looked like the happiest dog she knew :bigsmile:

This is before the walk:

Photobucket

Just after they'd separated - imagine how a white dog would look!!

Photobucket

And half an hour later when we got back home, before we dried him ^__^

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 12:36pm (Jun 14th 2012)

Kasper has been SO comical this morning! We got two packages through the letterbox, so he went racing over and brought me one, and I sent him back for the other. Then he got his treats.

Then he spotted a letter on the seat of the exercise bike that had been there since yesterday, and he jumped up and brought it over! :rolling: We didn't ask him to, he just did it, with a "Guys I'm not sure if you want this now..." look on his face! So we gave him a reward and were laughing lots, when he spotted another and brought that too, it was hilarious!

Ick I have so many pics of the dog to put up, will do it later XD
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 6:01pm (Jun 14th 2012)

We had such a lovely walk! We went to the further away woods where you have to walk alongside the canal. It was Kasper's first off-lead walk in about 10 days as he's had a mystery limp which, although disappeared in about 4 days, reappeared after an off-lead walk.

In the woods he sprinted like a loony and exhausted himself in about 5 minutes going after the squirrels...however then he bumps into a group of *twelve* dogs!! Ranging from a tiny little Shi Tzu to a huuuuge hairy beast! They were all lovely and Kasper did so so well! No limping on the walk but he's a little limpy after a few hours' rest, boo, so back to on-leads! I guess we should have had a short off-lead to ease him back into it, but it just wasn't possible in the forest!

I was collecting the washing from the bag upstairs to do a load, and dropped some underwear on the floor. I told Kasper to pick it up, which he did, and have him come downstairs with me, and then he fetched it right into the kitchen!! It was awesome! I love that I've taught him to pick things up, bring them to me and hand it over, it's SO helpful :rolling:

Playing with a rope toy...it got destroyed but for 79p I don't mind!

Happy smile because he has a garden / patio :smile:

Photobucket

"I am handsome, and I have toys"

Photobucket

Flashing around his new collar :D

Photobucket

This is the gap he managed to squeeze through :rolling:

Photobucket

Another cheap toy, a huge bone!

A real meaty bone :bigsmile:

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 12:49am (Jun 17th 2012)

Gorg pics, as always Red and look Kasper has spotty Dalmation legs!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 3:49pm (Jun 17th 2012)

What a happy puppy...:)
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2012 5:47pm (Jun 19th 2012) edited

He does indeed, although they're a little stumpier than a dalmation's haha!!

I've been doing a lot of counter conditioning with Kasper recently, nothing structured just when playing and stuff...when we first (jokingly) called him a naughty boy he slunk away and cowered, so now whenever playing he gets called a naughty boy. Gradually I changed the happy voice to an angry voice, and now when you bark "naughty boy!" at him he runs over to play :smile:

As well as that I also 'shout' "no" at him in play (because EVERYONE uses this with him for ANYTHING he might do *insert rolling eyes here*). We've worked on chasing him (which he loves!), grabbing him, tugging his tail, grabbing his legs, pretending to hit him, (gently) slapping his side, grabbing his mouth. All these are very 'fun' things for him now :cheerleader: so he's quite prepared for people to do these, at least people he knows...and hopefully no stranger would EVER do them!!

It paid off when Lyle's family came for his birthday, his little brother was saying bye and for some reason he pretended to slap Kasper's face (moved his hand really fast to Kasper's face then stopped a few cm away?!?) and then stroked his head. I was really irritated at first :mad: but then thought well at least the work paid off so nobody got bitten! :smile:

I've been looking at the nearby vets too, as I don't want to wait until there's an emergency and get lumped with one that I don't trust or that is unsympathetic to abused / fearful dogs...had an email & phone call from one today and they seem good. They said I don't have to have Kasper examined on the table (he's not comfortable with that), it will be just one vet treating us, everybody at the surgery wants that vet because he's so lovely, he's great with fearful dogs, and makes allowances and does all he can to help...for example one dog is treated in the carpark as it's so fearful, and they're fine with that! :smile:

They've also said that we can go in for a 'greeting' where we walk in, have a chat, the vet gives Kasper treats, and that is all! Not sure if we will take them up on that or not though, I'm going to see how Kasper reacts to a friend that's coming to stay that he's not met before...he's doing the best ever with strangers, but still growls at strange and especially old men that he sees in next door's back garden...which is an 'aaagh please I'm scared!' thing, as he only does it when there are a lot of men out there that he doesn't know, or if it's an old man, poor pup...I hate to think what his past was like :face-crying:

And, of course, the piccies!

Firstly, Kasper loooved the coconut!! :face-devil-grin:

Photobucket

His first off-lead and BIG walk; we've started walking him to the further away woods because it's a lot bigger and there's more chance of seeing other dogs there

Photobucket

He swam in a bog - his belly and front legs are white, really...!

Photobucket

Then he covered himself in leaves and sticks (he is upside down in this photo!)

Photobucket

And, just as we were about to put him on-lead and were saying how well he'd dried, he went and did this! :rolling:

Photobucket

But once again his amazing self-cleaning fur saved the day...

Photobucket

And he was very tired! :smile:

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2012 11:29pm (Jun 19th 2012)

I love how dirty a dog can get, and he's a bit of an expert isn't he. Could teach the army a thing or two about camouflage!

Last pic is just so ... squeeee!
    • CommentTimeJun 20th, 2012 4:21pm (Jun 20th 2012) edited

Oh yeah, it's a real talent of his - I swear if he didn't have a self-cleaning fur he'd live outside haha! He'd need two baths a day and he doesn't like baths at the best of times...I think he's had two since he's been with us, although he does get to go swimming of course :smile: Haha, yeah, I was taking photos of him and he was trying so hard to sit up and stay awake but he was just sooo tired!!

We're looking around for a cheap plastic paddling pool that Kasper could paddle in on hot days, but they're tricky to find...a blow-up one would be disastrous for obvious reasons haha! There's a small crab-shaped one for £15 but it's very small (Kasper wouldn't be able to lay in it) and awkward for storage...or there's one for £25 that's larger and better...hmm.

Kasper said hello to the old woman who lives next door again today (I say said hello, she called him a good boy whilst he surveyed her from my lap and decided he was too grand to go say hello!!) Later I was trying to teach Kasper a new trick I thought up, and she said I sounded very good at that and would I like to clicker train her cat - who's 16, half-blind and deaf!!! :rolling:

I'm trying a 'stick em up!' type thing, where he sits on his back two legs and raises the front two...it'd be awesome if he could manage it! He's doing well but needs at least one support to get his paws up there, but with plenty of sessions I'm sure he can do it - we've only had one so far!
    • CommentTimeJun 20th, 2012 10:26pm (Jun 20th 2012)

What about a garden pond rather than a paddling pool? I don't know if you could pick up a cheap 2nd hand one off ebay?

Your neighbour sounds nice - at least she's interested in your dog and the efforts you put in to training him. Think it's a bit late to start on her cat though!!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2012 8:42pm (Jun 21st 2012)

Not a bad idea, I'll have to have a look - although of course the sun has disappeared for a few weeks now I'll bet!! :smile:

She's lovely, and so good with our dog! We were so worried about telling her we had a dog what with her having an elderly cat, but she asked lots of questions about him, and when we'd been here about a week asked if we thought Kasper was settled enough for her to say hello to him over the fence, or would it scare him? We said he'd be fine, and she was so good, calling him a good boy constantly and not leaning over him...the 16 y.o cat she has was a rescue, she belonged to the people who lived in our house before us, but they didn't look after her right and gradually, with the owners' permission, the woman next door 'adopted' the cat.

Lyle's friend is coming tomorrow, which will be interesting as he's the exact person Kasper is most scared of, on a par with old men - dark long-ish hair, facial hair etc. The last time Kasper saw someone with such similar features was when my stupid friend brought his brother into our house without asking or telling us!
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2012 2:36am (Jun 22nd 2012)

oh Red I did have a chuckle at your dear neighbour and training her dear old pussy cat, how funny. Sounds like a really positive relationship there, keep up the good wrok.
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2012 4:56am (Jun 22nd 2012)

Your neighbor lady sound nice, Red..it's always good to have nice neighbors.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2012 12:30pm (Jun 23rd 2012) edited

She's lovely - it's much nicer than having your landlord next door! :bigsmile:

Our friend arrived yesterday so we introduced him to Kasper out on a walk as ever. Kasper has amazed me with this, he's very timid around our friend but because he's not over-threshold he ignores him completely in the house or, if he's feeling really brave, he'll go give the friend for a sniff and a wag and accept a little love. It's incredible! He feels confident enough to live with something he doesn't like (and would probably befriend over time) and knows the 'good' way to react to this is to ignore him! I'm pretty confident we could introduce Kasper to anyone now, as long as they behaved correctly.

On the other hand Kasper has been a real education for the friend who's parents have a dog. I explained about clicker training (because his dog never listens to him and has recently become fearful of him) and how to train a few certain commands (wait and leave it) and he says he'll look up calming signals too to try increase his dogs' confidence :smile:

Our friend has been really good with the dog too...my other friend (the one who brought his brother around) annoyed me when we went out last night as he asked how Kasper was with the friend staying with us, and mentioned how bad Kasper did with his brother...I was like woah! You know exactly how fearful our dog is and how we introduce him to strangers, because we had to do it with you, and when you brought your brother around I got very cross because you shouldn't have done it and you were in the wrong!! He's the kind of person that no matter how many times you tell / explain things to him, he'll never understand or remember it...it's really annoying, and means he could easily make the mistake of bringing someone round again :confused:

Finally, Kasper's belated and final birthday gift arrived today: a new dog bed for him! It's even bigger than we thought it would be, and Kasper loooves it! It's HUGE :laugh:
      m#2.jpg
      m#1.jpg
      m#.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2012 7:04pm (Jun 23rd 2012)

Looks as though you're going to be sleeping in it, Red!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2012 10:42pm (Jun 23rd 2012)

I thought maybe the friend that's staying with you would be sleeping in it!!
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2012 10:47pm (Jun 25th 2012) edited

I really could comfortably sleep in it, I sleep curled up anyway :tooth: - Kate, we told our friend he'd be drunk enough to sleep in it but somehow he managed to land on the sofabed we'd pulled out!!

Our friend has gone now and Kasper has happily settled back in to life with his 'parents' and friends that he knows (as you can see below! :smile: ) Kasper had a lovely long off-lead walk today, then enjoyed sunning on the patio for the rest of the day...he wasn't impressed with his evening walk though, and I've no idea why because it's the same we do everytime! He kept looking up as if to say "What? This is it, really?!" and was very annoyed when we headed for home - he fell asleep as soon as we got back though! :rolling:

He's almost finished his antler too, which was supposed to last years :shocked:

I saw a really cool wooden case in a charity shop today that reminded me of one I had as a kid to hold all my art things in...paint, pastels, crayons...so I decided to buy it and fill it up with arty things. Couldn't find anywhere that sold them though so had to settle for a plain old pencil! I haven't drawn for years and years, not properly since I was about 10...really enjoyed it and hope to get (a lot!) better with practice haha
      sun.jpg
      sun1.jpg
      m#9.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2012 10:51pm (Jun 25th 2012) edited

And my disastrous drawings...I don't think they're too bad but they don't look right :smile: I really want to get more into drawing as I enjoyed it today.

The first is an overweight beagle haha (my Aunt had a beagle that was obese, so skinny ones look weird to me!!)...it started off as a Basset so it might have Bassett ears haha! Silhouette of a Giant Schnauzer, a rushed one of Kasper whilst he was asleep and still, and a mutt BCx...
      m#5.jpg
      m#6.jpg
      m#7.jpg
      m#8.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 8:15pm (Jun 28th 2012) edited

Kasper had such a lovely walk yesterday and he just radiated happiness when we got back - I took a photo because he was incredibly soggy and muddy haha! He looked very happy and tired, and then I fed his meal in a bottle outside as it was warm so he'd dry off :laugh:
      m#12.jpg
      m#13.jpg
      m#14.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 2:50pm (Jun 29th 2012)

He had another great walk today and got to meet lots of dogs!!

I really wish I'd taken my camera. It was a group of about 10 dogs, about 7 of which were Giant breeds! Kasper was swamped in the middle of them, but as ever he coped really well and enjoyed saying hello...then I was surrounded by them as lots of them were very people friendly!! There was a blonde Lab, a black Lab x Collie, a small Sharpei cross that was a little shy, a huuuge Newfoundland and a Husky! The Labs were trying to jump up at me so I was trying to kneel so they didn't feel the need, but then the Newfoundland bounded over and coated me in slobber...it was heaven! :rolling:

I was really proud of how good Kasper looked as well, because the other people were struggling to get the dogs back and as soon as we said to carry on Kasper sprinted off - having one dog between two is undoubtedly a lot easier than having 10 dogs between four though!! ;)
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 5:48pm (Jun 29th 2012)

I love newfies; my customer has 2 and I come away like the blokes in the Ghostbusters film who get slimed!
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2012 2:05am (Jun 30th 2012)

They are awesome dogs, I only met my first one about a year ago but it was instant love :bigsmile:

We had a heartbreaking moment today...Kasper got REALLY waggly-bummed and excited about someone. We looked up all "huh?" and the person looked a lot like Kasper's old owner...it was sooo sad. He was wagging and pulling to her...just about broke my heart :(

It's been over a year and he still remembers and cares for her after all that happened...I so love my dog and I hope he's happy with us.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2012 6:59pm (Jun 30th 2012)

Of COURSE he is, you div; it's just that dogs are (too) trusting and forget all the bad stuff that people did to them. He couldn't have a better home than with you two!
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2012 5:29pm (Jul 1st 2012) edited

Thanks CC :) Poor little bugga dog...he is so stupidly loving and loyal. I know he loves us and has a good life with us here though...it's just sad that he still remembers and cares for his old owner. We haven't even heard from her since before Christmas.

Chilling on his new bed :bigsmile:

Photobucket

And sitting on the steps in the evening soaking up the sun!

Photobucket

I think I might change the 'stick em up' trick we're working on to a 'dance!' command...because he kinda waves his front legs around, so if I could get him to do it for a longer period of time he would look like a funky dancing dog! :laugh:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2012 11:36pm (Jul 1st 2012) edited

I did some baking for the dog tonight which Kasper appreciated :)

I wanted to try make some donuts and they turned out really good! I didn't expect them to look as...donuty (!) as they did. Our oven in this house cooks them waaay faster than our last as well, so every batch takes half the time which is nice :smile:

Kasper had cheese pasties, cheese and apple donuts, and apple and peanut butter hearts...he tried one of each and scoffed them down sharpish, but really enjoyed the pasty! Pics to follow...as ever I made him leave one for a pic! :rolling:
      treats.jpg
      treats2.jpg
      treats1.jpg
      treats3.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2012 6:53pm (Jul 2nd 2012)

Doggy doughnuts - they look scrummy!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2012 2:05pm (Jul 3rd 2012)

I tried one and there not bad at all! :rolling:

We had a brill morning walk today. There was a guy who had a young American Bulldog on a lead with two tiiiiny puppies running off-lead. Oh wow they were SO ADORABLE!! Kasper had a ball playing with them, they were real livewires! Lunging, pouncing, biting, leaping and he was so gentle :bigsmile:

The guy couldn't get them back because they were so caught in the moment haha, so he let the mum off-lead and she joined in! :rolling:

The pups were 16 week old apparently but one was half the size of the other, all three were REALLY REALLY cute! Eventually the guy caught the pups so we sent Kasper off ahead and the guy managed to cajole mum into following him too :smile:

Then a minute further on there was a big group of dogs again, some of which we recognise now, and Kasper was surrounded and sniffed...finally finished the walk and had him on lead when another two dogs appeared, a fat Lab and ginger Staffy, and he said hi to them too! On the way back he was hissed at by lots of geese and wagged cheerily at them - one followed him about six foot before giving up chase!
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 6:50pm (Jul 4th 2012) edited

We had another cute walk today; it's so awesome that Kasper sees so many dogs these days. It means he gets to socialise enough even if he misses half of them because he's off chasing squirrels :laugh:

This evening I was doing some tidying about, putting dried clothes away and filling the machine again...well, Kasper helped! :rolling: I gave him a few items of clothings to bring upstairs for me each trip, and he carried some dirty clothes down to the wash, and I had him carry a book and a game down for Lyle too...it was brilliant!! He was like an assistance dog haha! Kasper really enjoyed himself too, he was getting way proud and was exhausted after :smile:

And him chilling with a chewy bone
      sh.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 10:09pm (Jul 4th 2012)

My new rabbits chase squirrels Do you think they think they're dogs...?
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2012 12:02am (Jul 5th 2012) edited

Haha, that's brilliant! Our chickens went through a phase of chasing sparrows...and Domino used to chase the chickens! :laugh:

We met a useless dog owner tonight; the first we've met since living here, so I'm pretty impressed! :smile: She was walking her little dog in the woods. We had Kasper on his lead and she called her little yappy dog and put it on lead...then proceeded to walk right up to us!

So I assumed her little dog was fine and she put it on-lead as a precaution. Kasper wagged hello, as soon as the little dog was in reach it began running around Kasper in circles and snapping at him!! Somehow the other dogs' lead unclipped Kasper's and he was out of there - we were lucky we were somewhere safe!

The woman didn't even apologise, just kept saying, "Oh his lead has unclipped. His lead unclipped just like that" over and over whilst I glowered at her. Lyle was on the phone to his parents and promptly started talking very loudly about how he hated horrible little dogs with useless owners...people always let the little dogs get away with all sorts of behaviour that big dogs would be PTS for.

We usually walk Kasper on-lead at that bit of the forest because there are gaps in the fences to farmland, but thankfully we were a bit further on and he showed no interest in going back. Lucky all around as he wasn't injured by the dog either :smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2012 3:17pm (Jul 5th 2012)

We had a bit of a photo session when we got back from his walk today...Kasper was all tired and muddy and wet, happy to slob in the sun, and enjoyed the attention he got having his pic taken...I really think he's the most handsome dog ever :smile:

You can really see his collie eyes in this one, he has that hard stare going on!

Photobucket

Cutest pic ever, I'd like to try drawing this

Big nose :laugh:

Photobucket

This is a face that he does when he thinks we are talking about something to do with him and he's trying to figure out what...could be feeding him, walking him, putting him away etc

Tired puppy!

Photobucket

I got a great snap on Lyle's phone on his morning walk of him just sat in a huge bog...he came sprinting out the trees and just went and sat in it. We were both laughing hysterically, then he lay down in it, then walked about a bit, sat, lay down and sat again...my parents would have been mortified :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2012 2:18pm (Jul 6th 2012) edited

We saw another terrible owner today, that's the second in a few days! :(

This one was really bad. It was a collie with an owner who smiled and welcomed us. We let both dogs say hello, and Kasper was tired so he just stood and wagged and let the other dog come to him. The other dog attacked Kasper and bit his face, both the other owner and Lyle pulled the dogs away, and we moved forward just showering Kasper with praise.

Once we were a safe distance away we fed him lots of treats and continued to praise him, he was just wagging, then we carried on. We were too focused on making sure Kasper saw it as a positive experience to say anything to the other owner, just heard her shouting, "Bad dog! Bad girl!" at her dog over and over and over again - oh yeah because that'll help, that's definitely not why she does it in the first place!! :mad:

The other dog bit Kasper's tongue (I said he was tired! :smile: ) so it was bleeding a bit but I'm just so glad he's not more injured because that dog meant to hurt...it's just both owners pulled them apart! I feel sorry for Kasper, he's been gone for so many times now I really hope it never undoes his confidence towards other dogs...

Hopefully we will recognise the dog and owner next time, and if she hasn't muzzled the dog we will say something and report her to the police.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2012 10:58pm (Jul 7th 2012)

Bearing in mind it has been many years since I owned a dog so I don't remember this, but do some dogs get on with some dogs and not with others? It's true with cats - Meow Meow is subservient towards Tom and Jim, but will chase new tabby and new chinese-looking-black-&-white-cat. Could it be that the other dog just took a dislike to Kasper because he was new? I'm not condoning it, just wondered if it could've taken the owner by complete surprise.
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2012 1:34pm (Jul 11th 2012) edited

I'm pretty sure it had happened before - the woman *instantly* pulled her dog away as soon as it attacked, there was no hesitancy there...where Lyle had a kind of delayed reaction because he was so shocked. It's not even like Kasper greeted her enthusiastically; he's way calmer with dogs now and was shattered at the time!

Lyle's little brother is staying with us this week. Yesterday Kasper was poorly with a very delicate tummy - no idea why he hadn't eaten anything - which meant he was very sensitive and not at all happy to have Lyle's brother there. Very fearful. To make it worse Lyle's brother didn't know how to behave around dogs (Kasper was looking fearfully at him and the brother was staring back - most threatening thing you can do to a dog! :smile: ) but we explained to him and he did very well after that.

Kasper seems pretty much himself today and has been bounding about trying to get everyone to play - he's best friends with Lyle's brother now so I suspect a lot of it was how ill he felt.
    And today it's sunny :gasp: Which is just weird, it hasn't been properly sunny for three weeks now...so we'll all be melting when we go out, but at least the dog shouldn't get as muddy (ha, who am I kidding?! :tooth: )
      frog4.jpg
      frog5.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2012 2:35pm (Jul 11th 2012)

We got back from a dog walk and Lyle's brother was almost dead haha! He says he has no energy now :smile: He found it really weird how our dog behaved on a walk too, running about and having fun. We stumbled across a massive group of dogs and he was like, "Woah, he's staying with the other dogs...what's he doing, is he okay?" :rolling:

When I first walked Vince I thought it was really weird to see a dog so obsessed with a ball, so I guess it works both ways.

Kasper did make sure to lay down in every muddy puddle we passed but, thanks to the burning sun, he was dry when we got back :cheer: I'm hoping his stomach is better because I want to get back doing some more training with him. He's having rice for breakfast so we'll see how he does.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2012 8:36pm (Jul 13th 2012) edited

Kasper absolutely adored Lyle's brother as soon as his tummy was recovered. By today Kasper loved Lyle's brother more than any other friends that have ever stayed with us - when we got back today and Lyle's brother had gone home, Kasper was running all around the house looking for him :001_rolleyes:

We had a few friends around too one night as well, and Kasper was going crazy running from one person to the other to get fuss from everybody. We all thought it was very funny as he started missing out one person as she doesn't really play or fuss him, so he ignored her and went to the ones who loved him most! :laugh:

He's back on normal meals now after his poorly tum. Lyle's brother learnt a lot since being with us, and today bought a clicker to try do some work with Vince which I thought was kinda cool.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2012 10:15pm (Jul 13th 2012) edited

Awww, Kasper just got let out from his crate, which he was in while we ate our tea. Whenever we have leftovers we leave them on his bed...he came running down tonight and ran straight over to his bed to search for food, but there wasn't any. Then he stood and turned to us with such a look of sadness that we both leapt up off the couch and ran to get him treats hahaha! :rolling:

He so knows how to get what he wants, the spoilt brat... :tooth:

He noticed Keshi straight away as well; he jumped up once to try say hi, got down when told, and has ignored him since. I am seriously impressed. This is the dog that tried to fit through a picket fence the other night to get to a hedgehog!! :rolling: