• CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:10pm (Mar 26th 2011) edited

11oz self-raising flour
    3 heaped tablespoons marmalade
    2oz mixed peel
    5 tablespoons orange juice
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:11pm (Mar 26th 2011) edited

Set your oven 180C or gas mark 4

Grease and neatly line a nine inch round tin
      mc1.jpg
      mc2.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:13pm (Mar 26th 2011) edited

Cream margarine sugar and orange zest together until light and fluffy

Beat in egg yolks one at a time and the add one tablespoon of the flour
      mc3.jpg
      mc5.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:20pm (Mar 26th 2011) edited

Stir in the orange juice peel and marmalade

Carefully fold in the rest of the flour
      mc6.jpg
      mc8.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:23pm (Mar 26th 2011) edited

Whisk the egg whites until they are just stiff and gently mix into the rest of the mixture
    What ever you do don't mix them in using the mixer
      mc9.jpg
      mc10.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:25pm (Mar 26th 2011)

Turn into your tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours half way through baking cover top of cake with
    Non stick parchment so it doesn't over brown
      mc11.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:26pm (Mar 26th 2011) edited

Cake should be a nice golden brown and be firm to the touch
    Leave it in tin for aprox 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a rack
      mc12.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:28pm (Mar 26th 2011) edited

When cake is totally cold spread a thinish layer of marmalade over the top,
    Then cover it with fondant icing I used half of the one shown in picture
    Pinch a nice decorative edge round icing and decorate as desired. I used cherries and angelica as that was all I had
      mc13.jpg
      mc14.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:28pm (Mar 26th 2011)

:drool5:Yum!:drool5:
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 5:30pm (Mar 26th 2011)

TA DA one marmalade cake sorry I couldn't cut it and show you the inside but this one was for a gift
    Thanks CC I will have to post you one !!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 4:21pm (Mar 27th 2011) edited

VEGETABLE SAMOSA

Makes 16

Filling
    ! Tablespoon oil
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    I small onion finely diced
    3 chillies deseed and chopped into tiny pieces
    1/2teaspoon tumeric
    1 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
    1 teaspoon gram masala
    Aprox 8oz diced potato
    Aprox 8oz frozen vegetables or peas
    ! Tablespoon chopped coriander
    Juice of one medium lemon
      sam1.jpg
      sam2.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 4:23pm (Mar 27th 2011) edited

Cook potatoes and vegetables in salted water until soft then drain

Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds
    Have a lid ready to put on until the seeds have popped or they will go every where
    Once seeds have popped dispence with the lid and add the onion and fry until golden
    Add the chillies, ginger and spices fry for about 3 minutes
    Now add the cooked vegetables Lemon juice and coriander
    Stirring in well so every thing is nicely coated.
    It won't hurt if the potatoes break up a little as it will help hold every thing together
    Set aside to cool.
      sam3.jpg
      sam4.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 4:28pm (Mar 27th 2011) edited

Pastry
    8oz plain flour
    !/2 teaspoon salt
    2oz butter
    6 tablespoons cold water

Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl
    Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs
    Add water and knead thoroughly to a smooth dough
    Wrap in cling film and chill aprox 20 mins
      sam5.jpg
      sam6.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 4:33pm (Mar 27th 2011) edited

Divide dough into 8 pieces

Roll into a thin 6 inch round between two pieces of cling film
    (You can use flour but it will spoil your oil when you come to fry them)
    Cut each round in half fold each half into a cone
    Brush the seam with a damp brush to seal
      sam7.jpg
      sam8.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 4:37pm (Mar 27th 2011) edited

Fill cone with vegetable mixture (but don't over fill)
    Now moisten the top edge with a damp brush and seal firmly
      sam9.jpg
      sam10.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 4:41pm (Mar 27th 2011) edited

Continue with other half and you have made all 16
    Now deep fry four at a time until crisp and golden
      sam11.jpg
      sam12.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 4:46pm (Mar 27th 2011) edited

Can be served hot or warm. We even eat them cold !!
    Traditionally offered with a cup of tea or Shobhna's mint chutney.
      sam13.jpg
      sam14.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 5:25pm (Mar 27th 2011)

SHOBHNA'S HOT MINT CHUTNEY

4 to 5 big handfuls of fresh mint leaves, washed
    3 to 5 hot green chillies, washed and chopped. leave the seeds in.
    juice of 2 limes
    1 tablesppon of sugar
    salt to taste (about a 1/2 teaspoon)

pulvarise everything in a liquidiser. you will need to add water but don't add loads. just enough to make a nice consistency.
    just increase or decrease amounts as you like, adding more or less chillies. Liquidise till nice and smooth.

I freeze mine because I make loads and it thaws out well and is really nice with Indian food.

Another way to use the chutney:

chop 3 medium sized tomatoes into cubes, use the flesh and discard the seeds.
    chop half a cucumber into dice.
    chop 1 red onion into dice.

mix all together in a bowl with a tablespoon of the mint chutney and also add a tiny amount (1/2 teaspoon or so)of olive oil. maybe add a little bit more salt.
    stir well. refrigerate...

yummy with samosas, papadums or anything else, even with nachos.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 1:25pm (Mar 28th 2011)

NN, many thanks for starting this thread. I could not find the one you originally started.
    will post up a recipe for samosas and the one you have posted is just great. Mine is not much different except that I don't used mixed veg. Samosas are normally made with peas and potatoes only but you can put anything you like in the filling as long as it is diced small.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:00pm (Mar 28th 2011) edited

I hope you didn't mind me putting your Chutney recipe over here Shobhna, I thought it would be nice to have every thing together. It would be great if you could put your Samosas recipe as well. I always used to make them with potatoes and peas but one day I didnt have any peas and tried them with the mixed veg every one said how nice they were so I continued doing them that way !!! I also do meat ones using lamb mince, as you say you you can use a variety of fillings. Sometimes I make little two bite sized ones as well, to have with nibbles.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 10:31pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Maybe one day I'll try making them - they look yummy!! Lovely instructions NN, much better than the cook books they sell. Even I could follow them and that's saying something!
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2011 10:43pm (Mar 30th 2011)

With all the nice pictures and descriptions even I (worst cook in the Pacific Northwest) could cook those. Thanks,NN!!
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:03am (Mar 31st 2011) edited

Thank you go on have a go you never know you might enjoy it !!!! I got a order for cookies and lemon bars to do tomorrow so will be busy as need to make some cake for the lads snap tins as well. ( sorry lunch boxes !!)
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:04am (Mar 31st 2011)

I was so pleased to get these oranges and tangerines for 20 pence a bag Monday night from Asda. I picked up all three bags. I have kept the Jaffas for Caramelised oranges for desert tomorrow night as it is St Clements day. One bag of tangerines to eat as is and the other bag for some marmalade.
    The tangerine marmalade is to die for, I licked the spoon and scraped out the pan while it was still warm !!! It isn't hard to make but sounds daunting if you have not made preserves before. Anyhow judge for yourselves as I did a tutorial for you so I am hoping someone is brave enough to have a go at it....... Here we go....
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:05am (Mar 31st 2011)

TANGERINE MARMALADE

I 1/2 lbs tangerines ( that was the weight of the bag full)
    I large lemon
    2 1/4 lbs sugar
    2 1/4 pints water
      marm i.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:06am (Mar 31st 2011)

Finely slice up the tangerines removing the pips
    Carefully tie the lemon and tangerine pips in a small piece of cloth they will help the marmalade set
    Place the sliced tangerines in the water with the zest, lemon juice
    And pip bag and soak over night. Use a glass bowl preferably
      marm2.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:09am (Mar 31st 2011) edited

Next day put the contents of the bowl into a large stainless steel pan and simmer very slowly for 1 1/2 hours until the peel is soft and disintegrates when rubbed between thumb and finger. It is important that the peel is soft it will not soften once the sugar is added. Cook longer if you need to
      marm5.jpg
      marm6.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:12am (Mar 31st 2011) edited

While the fruit cooks wash rinse and drain your jars. Put them into the oven about 150 c to heat and sterilise
    Wash and rinse lids put into bowl and cover them with boiling water for aprox 5 mins then drain and dry carefully
    Put a plate into the fridge to cool ready for testing for set
    Prepare the area you will use to pot your marmalade up remember to protect your surfaces as pan will be ultra hot.
    I also fill washing up bowl with cold water in case I splash any on myself
      marm3.jpg
      marm4.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:14am (Mar 31st 2011) edited

Remove the pips bag I always squeeze it out as the pectin from the pips helps it set
    Stir in the warm sugar. ( I put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes) and stir it until dissolved
    Now bring up to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached aprox 20 minutes
      marm7.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:21am (Mar 31st 2011)

Setting point..... This is the bit that worries most people. I do two tests the first one is the wooden spoon test after about fifteen minutes or when you think it might look about right stir the wooden spoon in the marmalade so it becomes coated turn spoon round three times high over the pan if marmalade runs off it isn't ready but if it hangs in a firm drop or flake it is probably ready. Take marmalade off the heat and put a little on your cooled plate and leave it to become cold. If it wrinkles when pushed with your finger it is ready. If it doesn't return to heat and cook a bit longer then re-test.
      marm8.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:24am (Mar 31st 2011) edited

Allow marmalade to cool slightly so the peel distributes evenly give it a good stir then pot marmalade up in the hot jars leaving about half an inch gap at the top. Wipe top if need be and screw lid on tight. Don't worry if the lids make a sharp pop noise at some point it is just the safety indent thingie and means the jar is airtight.
      marm 9.JPG
      Img_1770.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:25am (Mar 31st 2011)

There you go yummy or what. One to taste now. One for the later. One to store. One for a gift.
      marm10.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:39am (Mar 31st 2011)

Just out of interest I got so many jars in my oven as I was also going to make some lemon curd as well. Then I got the order for lemon bars so that put the kybosh on that as I didnt have enough lemons to do both !!! I have also been reccomended to watermark my pictures so hence they have my initials on them now, sorry about that I hope they don't distract to much.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:21pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Marking your pictures is a very good idea NN - there are people that scour the net to steal other's photos and sell. We love to see them and it doesn't distract at all.

Your instructions are very good! (Could be a book in it for you!!) You make it sound really easy to make, but no one in my house likes marmalade (I like it when I'm on holiday but never eat it at home!)
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:28pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Blimey look at all this lovely food I had better find some time and get cooking,you have done so well NN with clear precise instructions to follow.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:33pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Hey Lee where have you been ? There I am working my fingers to the bone with all this cooking and photo taking for you. I got a couple more things ready to post, All your fault as you said Oh I am excited about starting up the cooking again !!!!!!xx :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:37pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Thank you Kate if there is a special recipe you need help with any time let me know and I will see if I can make it easier for you.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:40pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Posted By: nanny northHey Lee where have you been ?

Been busy with work and Sara has to lots of things to do with the children in the evenings,I have really started hitting the running quite hard again in the evenings to.

But hay NN i am just as excited as you to get cooking i will be making time this weekend to do some.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:51pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Only joshing you Lee I know how busy you are with family an all. We do miss you when you are not about. Oh by the way I think we will be comming to Brighton sometime this summer. We want to re-do some of our old haunts.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:55pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Thank you NN for your kind words.
    Just let me no when you are coming and we can get together if you want.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:00pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Yes that would be real nice I will bring you some cookies.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:01pm (Mar 31st 2011)

I might even cook you one of your recipes !!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 10:07pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Ha ha that would be like home from home. You will only have to look out for an old rotund lady in a camo jacket with a camera and thats me!!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 1:08pm (Apr 1st 2011) edited

Raita

Needs yogurt but don't get that stirred up sloppy stuff, you want the Natural set yogurt.I make my own so I always have to remember to specify the right type of yogurt.

1 large pot of natural set yogurt
    1 cucumber (grated)
    1 ripe banana -chopped into dice
    a handful of grapes - halved
    1/2 a pomegranate if poss. tasty, healthy and the colour is just beautiful too.
    a handful of coriander leaves, chopped.
    1 green chilli (very very finely chopped and only use it if you fancy a bit of a bite to this)
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    2 teaspoons of sugar
    3/4 to 1 teaspoon of ground mustard seeds (use the whole ones and do not grint to a fine powder, just blitz for a few secodns...grind some up and store the extras in a small jar and store in a dark place.)
    OR
    roast some cumin seeds and grind to a powder when cool and use 1 teaspoon of that. Store the extras in a similar way.

Please remember: use either ground mustard seed or ground cumin seeds.

Mix all this together and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Yummy with almost anything and I would rather eat this then eat those shop bought fruit yogurts any time.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 4:48pm (Apr 1st 2011)

Oh that sounds real interesting Shobhna and I would like to make it. Now would you use it as a dip or a breakfast yogurt or as side dish with a curry? I like greek yogurt would that be suitable to use?
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 4:51pm (Apr 1st 2011)

Now Shobhna has joined in with recipes i am so excited i don,t no where to start!!!!!!!!!
    Calm down Lee take a deep breathhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats better,the next few weekends are going to be busy cooking then.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 5:10pm (Apr 1st 2011)

So pleased that this thread is taking off at last. It is nice for me to be able to try different things as well. The more the merrier I say. Dont't get pressured Lee there is no rush.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 6:51pm (Apr 1st 2011)

I like raita on onion bhajis. No idea if that is correct or if it is like eating strawberry jelly with anchovies and Branston...but I like it!
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2011 8:37pm (Apr 1st 2011)

I have only had the cucumber one which I really like, but this one has so much more in it. I am really intrigued by it. I think I just got to try it!!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2011 1:12am (Apr 2nd 2011)

Shobna. I used to make my own yogurt but wonder how you do it.
    I had a thermometer for the temps, do you use one or just estimate?
    I used a bit of bought plain yogurt for the starter but found it wouldn't do a lot of times over. I know you can buy starters, though I have never looked at them.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2011 8:38am (Apr 2nd 2011)

yummo there are some good ideas here, I love the recipe thread even though our seasons are back to front. LOve marmalde and imagine I can use mandarines as they are readily available here although I know they are not the same as tangerines.

I just googled this info:

Tangerines are actually a subgroup of mandarins. Therefore, all tangerines are classified as a type of mandarin orange, but not all mandarin oranges are tangerines. The primary difference between the two species is their skin color.

Sounds really delicious NN.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2011 9:59pm (Apr 2nd 2011)

I dreamt I was making marmalade the night before last!
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 1:46am (Apr 5th 2011) edited

Mandarins should be fine Julie I got some clementines today 4lbs for less than the price of 1lb, once again beautiful fruit not a mark on it just the sell by day was ending tonight. I couldnt look a gift horse in the mouth so I will make some more marmalade with them tomorrow and that should see us about right till next year.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 1:14pm (Apr 5th 2011)

NN, The raita can be eaten as a dip for anything else as well as with Indian food...though this has fruit in it, it is not considered a fruit yogurt because it is not as if you have loaded it with loads of fruit. It is how we normally make raita, not like the sutff you see in the Indian restaurants. I think greek yogurt would be just fine. In fact, that would be the ideal way to make your own fruit yogurt.

Ollie, I make yogurt at home and I usually start it off with a bit of warm milk and lemon juice and leave that for 24 hours then on the next day I use that as a starter. Once you have your first yogurt, then you just take the starter from there and just continue it that way. I normally put my yogurt in a warm place and give it something like 10 hours. If I want to make a thicker yogurt, I drain the whey from the yogurt by letting it drain thru a cheese cloth. ( whey is ideal for making scones with.)
    I guess I have been used to Ma making yogurt so have just carried it on from there.

These days it is so easy to get natural set yogurt that if you don't want to, then you don't have to make your own.

will think of a few more recipes to put on here. I'll try to think of ones that would be suitable for Red.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 2:36pm (Apr 5th 2011)

Thanks so much for that yogurt tip Shobhna.
    I had always used a bit of bought yogurt as a starter. Onken do a very nice one. I use it for salad dressing or cream as I don't like the sweetness of the commercial products.
    Daughter makes her own mayo but it is very high yummy calorie and gets gobbled.

Will certainly have a go with the lemon juice.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 5:27pm (Apr 5th 2011)

I often have Greek yoghurt with a drizzle of honey as breakfast or for a pud. Yum!
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 8:32pm (Apr 5th 2011)

ohh thats how I like it as well CC yum lovely grub. Have you tried it frozen? I just swirl the honey through and stick it in the freezer it is so nice better than ice cream. Yum I must do some tomorrow thinking about it has made me fancy some !!!
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2011 6:22pm (Apr 6th 2011) edited

EASY SUPPER DISH

I tin cream of ch*chn in white wine condensed soup
    I small onion
    2 Ch*ckn breasts diced
    Good handfull mushrooms
    Milk
    Potatoes

Put potatoes on to cook, then mash with butter and pepper to your taste While they are cooking
    Sweat off onion in a bit of butter add ch*ckn and cook for 5 minutes. Stir every so often so doesn't burn
    Add sliced mushrooms cook for another three minutes. Tip in the soup and half the tin of milk cook mixture through until ch*ckn is cooked you don't want it to sloppy so don't worry if it reduces down a little bit.

Put ch*ckn mix into individual oven proof dishes or you could make one big one if you would rather serve out on to plates. it's what ever you fancy really. Put mash on top and dot with butter. Put into oven and cook till top goes golden serve by itself or with a side of vegetables or salad.

You can make it in advance but be sure to cook it through until piping hot before serving. So easy and yummy comfort food !!
      easy supper1.jpg