• CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 2:21am (Apr 5th 2011) edited

The Derby Cathedral peregrine falcons have mated again this year so far there 2 two eggs The cams are on so if you would like to watch this year here is the link

• CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 2:22am (Apr 5th 2011) edited

Here she is just after laying the second egg. It is the darker one as it is still damp from being laid. She is snuggled over them tonight. Grandad North and I are hoping to go visit this year and hopefully get some photos.
      2nd egg.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 9:58am (Apr 5th 2011) edited

Oh my! I had forgotten all about the Derby peregrines.
    That's what you get when you let a dragon (forgot what they are called) get into your pooter and eat everything.
    I keep remembering stuff I had before, do searches to find it, then get distrracted and wander off to somewhere else.
    Great stuff this pootering. I love it. It's been a life saver to me in my dotage. Otherwise I would be sitting gazing out of the window or watching all those wierd folk on tv. Instead I have a cam viewing outside and all the iplayer etc stuff on here.
    Ramble, ramble, ramble...
    :blahblahblah: :blahblahblah: :blahblahblah:
    I'll get me' coat...
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 5:32pm (Apr 5th 2011)

:rolling: You crack me up, Ollie; so glad you have a pooter or we'd not have you! :flowers:
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 8:42pm (Apr 5th 2011)

Glad I jogged your memory of the falcons Ollie. I was thinking of you when I was doing this page as I know how much you enjoyed watching them as did I. I have sussed out how to do the screen capture now so that might come in handy for posting up about them. I would be lost with out my pooter as well so I know what you mean.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 8:49pm (Apr 5th 2011)

I'm glad they're back again NN, I had forgotten about them too! I hope you are able to go visit and get us some pictures.

In the meantime, anyone watching lambing live?
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 8:53pm (Apr 5th 2011)

Ooh no I haven't heard of that one can you do us a link so I can look in now and then? Thanks Kate.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2011 9:06pm (Apr 5th 2011)

Sorry NN, its on BBC2 at 8pm, not a live cam. I knew what I meant but only half explained it again!
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 8:11am (Apr 7th 2011) edited

oh goody the peregrines again, thye are fascinating to watch, we have a family near here at the Alcoa plant and they have a cam but not the season for ours at present.

I am with Ollie, the computer opened up the world to us, glad I have that outlet.
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 7:21pm (Apr 7th 2011)

She has laid her third egg now. I wonder if she will lay another she had four last year. You are more than welcome to share peregrines Julie !!
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 9:10pm (Apr 7th 2011)

Do they tend to lay the same number each year? Wasn't there a problem with one of them last year - got injured or something? Can't remember now, will have to go read the blogs to remind myself.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 7:52pm (Apr 14th 2011)

She has four eggs now so it is time to wait for them to hatch.
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2011 9:41pm (May 8th 2011)

The eggs should be hatching in the next couple of days.

Shameful that Nick Moyes was so suddenly made redundant after 25 years. He was able to go up this week to inspect and deal with problems with the cams.
    I do hope he can come to some arrangement after all his hard work setting up this scheme.
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2011 7:41pm (May 9th 2011)

There are two chicks in the nest.
    Seems they hatched in the early hours.
    Two more to hatch yet.
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2011 10:42pm (May 11th 2011)

Another victim of this damn recession and Government solution to it I suppose. I had forgotten all about the Derby chicks so thanks for the reminder - will go have a look now!
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 7:27pm (May 15th 2011) edited

All four eggs have hatched now, they are just the cutest little chicks. I was just in time to catch her feeding them tonight and managed to get some lovely screen captures to share with you in case you missed it all.
      Image1aa.jpg
      Image1ssssss.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 7:30pm (May 15th 2011) edited

She left the chicks for a few moments before settling them down for the evening. I love the way she is looking into the camera as if to say. I got the cutest babies ever.
      Imageqqq.jpg
      Imageqqqq.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 11:49pm (May 15th 2011)

They are very cute NN, and well done on the screen shots!
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 6:59pm (May 16th 2011)

Awww so cuuuuute! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 9:42pm (May 16th 2011)

I can not believe this pigeon. it was either very brave or very stupid !!!
      crazy pigeon.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 9:49pm (May 16th 2011)

Is that a discarded egg on the right of the picture or a shell? I know they are usually quite good at cleaning out the remnants from the hatching.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 10:05pm (May 16th 2011)

I think it must be half of a shell as there were four eggs and now four chicks.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 10:46pm (May 16th 2011)

I saw two crows attacking and chasing off a hawk away from their nest the other day, I was very impressed!
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2011 8:13pm (May 20th 2011)

My how quickly these babies are growing. I snagged this picture this evening, just look at them all sitting there on their best behavour.
      babes.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2011 11:43pm (May 21st 2011)

Hey Red, I saw 2 crows chasing off a hawk when we were at Mallory Park race track yesterday!

Obviously the pigeon that owned the feathers in the peregrine nest wasn't so lucky!
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2011 2:50pm (May 23rd 2011)

Nelly caught a seagull bigger than her!!! She's fully grown now (almost a year old!) but still the size of a kitten :)
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2011 8:20pm (May 23rd 2011)

Bless her, lucky it didn't fly off with her. Dan's cats bring in all sorts of things as well. One of them brings in live rabbits through the cat flap every so often and lets them go in his bedroom !!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2011 5:31pm (May 25th 2011)

Cats are such good hunters, it never ceases to amaze me! And then in contrast we have Kasper, who is the least stealthy animal I have ever seen...
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2011 8:42pm (May 25th 2011)

Just as well really as it is upsetting when they catch something and make it squeal.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2011 10:40pm (May 26th 2011)

I could only see three chicks yesterday and my heart sank. Then I switched to the other camera angle and it had gone over to the parent bird who was sitting on the opposite end of the ledge. Phew so pleased it was ok. They are growing so quickly and are moving about a lot more now.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 10:13pm (May 30th 2011)

They've all gone into the other side of the nest tonight. Mum can't cover them now, they are so big.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 10:46pm (May 30th 2011)

Wow, they look so big!
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2011 10:23am (May 31st 2011)

The chicks are scooting all over, some in one nest, some in the other. Poor Mum doesn't seem to know how to cope!
    Bet they'll get together when lunch arrives.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2011 11:14pm (May 31st 2011)

When the babies have fledged do they (as in, humans) clean the area out, or is it left dirty so that she knows its her nest? They are really big now aren't they - I bet mom is tired. Is dad around too?
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2011 10:03am (Jun 1st 2011)

I seem to remember the humans come and clean out the nests, in late winter. Otherwise they don't touch the nests at all, not even for disasters like last year's sick chick.
    Don't know what will happen this year as the chappie in charge of the project has left (pushed), though still has some input.
    Dad does most of the hunting and brings the food to Mum for distribution. He can often be seen on the upper picture, posing like the captain of a ship.

The chicks are beggining to get their adult plumage.
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2011 8:23pm (Jun 1st 2011)

The babies sure grow fast and such beautiful little chicks.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 6:59pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

The chicks have all been ringed now. Here is a picture of one just after it had been done. Look at the size of it already. I didn't take the picture by the way just snagged it for you all.
      just ringed.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 7:04pm (Jun 2nd 2011) edited

I was trying to find the site that Ron put us on to with the Eagles. I loved watching them. I didn't find it but I found this Barn owl cam from Dorset and have been transfixed by them. I though you would all love to have a peep at them as well. Especially you Ollie as I know you love stuff like this as well. It has sound as well which puzzled my cats !!!

I snagged some screen shots to get you going !!!
      owls.jpg
      owls2.jpg
      owl3.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2011 10:33pm (Jun 2nd 2011)

That chick is huge NN! Barn owls look so sweet don't they. I love birds!
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 9:40pm (Jun 3rd 2011)

Thanks for the link NN.

I am also watching the TV "Springwatch" web cam.

Really good, with a well kept commentary at the side.
    The baby owls on there are really ugly at the moment.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 9:48pm (Jun 3rd 2011)

OOh thanks Ollie I will stick that onto my favourites. Ha ha I had to smile about the ugly babies !!! I was watching the Devon owls last night when a parent popped into the box with a mouse it had caught. A baby shot forward and snatched it from the parents beak and scuttled off into the corner with it then they all had a bit of a squabble as to who should be in charge of it. Thankfully the mouse had already turned its toes up.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 10:11pm (Jun 3rd 2011)

Just had a look at your link Ollie and it is the same as the Dorset owls I posted !!!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2011 10:28pm (Jun 3rd 2011) edited

So great minds ARE alike !!!
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2011 5:52pm (Jun 4th 2011)

Woah that chick is huge!

I like barn owls - one pooped on my older cousin when she was holding it ahahaha :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2011 11:29pm (Jun 6th 2011)

My Dad and my brother were doing a bit of poaching in some woods many years back,so when Dad felt a tap on his shoulder he thought it was my brother silently getting his attention and turned to see what he wanted. He was rather shocked when he stuck his nose into some owl crap. He had us in stitches relating the story as apparently it stunk so bad he scared all the game away trying to get it off his nose and so they came home with nothing for the pot. My Dad had a large Roman style nose which made it all the funnier. We always used to ask him to relate the story about the day an owl crapped on his shoulder.
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2011 11:15pm (Jun 13th 2011)

The peregrine chicks are almost full grown. They are sporting nice new feathers that match their parents.
    There has been an amount of practice wing flapping trough the day.
    How long before they fledge?
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2011 4:49pm (Jun 14th 2011) edited

I've been reading the peregrine diary and find I was mistaken in a previous post I made on here.
    The chicks have just been ringed, as they have been on other years.. I thought they weren't allowed to go near them! Sorry folks for the misinformation.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2011 10:25pm (Jun 14th 2011)

Oh my, those chicks are huge!!! I thought it'd only been a week since I'd looked in on them, but it was obviously longer than that as they've gone from fluffy white balls to adult size birds. Are all 4 still there? I could only see 3.

I do recall them being ringed last year, but am fairly sure that is the only thing they do do with them.
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2011 7:09am (Jun 17th 2011)

Heavens those birdies are huge!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2011 3:10pm (Jun 18th 2011)

Now I am Very confused.
    The blog says one junior has fledged.
    When I view the nest, which has been almost constantly for the lasy two days, I see three perigrines but am unable to tell which of these are juniors or if adults are in there too.
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2011 3:19pm (Jun 18th 2011) edited

Looking back on the blog, I see that the Derbyshire Cathederal chicks have a coloured ring on the left leg.
    So I need to look for the ring!
    Prob solved. Though a huge HD TV would help with that.
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2011 7:10pm (Jun 23rd 2011)

Only one chick to leave the nest now.
    It's fascinating watching her. She seems hardly able to peek over the edge of the box.
    Could a perigrine have vertigo?
    One of her siblings came back today and brought food.
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2011 10:27pm (Jun 23rd 2011)

Oh that is really sweet - I didn't realise the siblings would care for each other. I hope it gets the nerve to leave soon!

I saw yet another crow attacking a BIG hawk today!
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2011 9:12pm (Jun 24th 2011)

The sibling stayed the night, both huddled together.
    Then this afternoon, after much fluttering from one part of the nest to the other the last youngster took off.
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2011 11:59pm (Jun 25th 2011)

It is strange to think that the picture posted on May 15th of 4 fluffy chicks are now juvenile birds that have flown the nest! It's always good to hear that they're initial departure went safely and that they appear to be managing well.

Thanks for keeping us updated Ollie!
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2011 9:57pm (Jul 7th 2011)

Those owlets have grown up quickly, they look much prettier now. The smallest one was having a good old wing flapping session it hopped right up mid flap in the end and landed on another one which caused a bit of a beak fight. They have settled down again now.
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2014 9:11am (May 4th 2014)

This thread took quite a lot of finding - then I remembered the "Search" facility....

Well, I have followed the Derby peregrines for a few years now and can't believe that we hadn't been discussing it on here since 2011.

I just wanted to report the first egg of 2014 hatched last night. Ie., one of the eggs has gone all fluffy.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2014 11:29am (May 4th 2014)

How many eggs are there, Ollie?
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2014 5:19pm (May 4th 2014)

Ollie could you post the link to the peregrines, all I can find is the barn owls.
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2014 11:22pm (May 4th 2014)

Hatching already?! Wow, we're behind this year. I thought about them last week for some reason - think I saw a hawk and it reminded me, but then I forgot to search them out.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2014 7:12pm (May 5th 2014)

Www.derby.gov.uk/apps/peregrine/webcam3asp

You have a choice of four cams, two have sound (which also gives you the cathedral bells at frequent intervals) but have time-outs and you have to go back in. The other two change pic every few seconds.

There are four eggs, two hatched. The other two very imminent.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2014 5:42pm (May 7th 2014)

Thank you for the link, Ollie..I found the Falcons. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2014 9:18pm (Jun 9th 2014)

The chicks appear to have lost most of their white feathers now, but the blog says it'll be some time before they actually fledge. They are keen to receive e-mails if anyone sees one of the young birds fly off the ledge as it seems the females quite often end up on the ground and have to be taken back up the tower for a second go at it!
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2014 4:38pm (Jun 10th 2014)

Blimey, my heart would be in my mouth if I saw any of them fly off the ledge!
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2014 10:13pm (Jun 10th 2014)

Me too, but they are so beautiful and graceful.
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2014 6:10pm (Jun 11th 2014)

I am watching BBC tv's Springwatch programme, mostly on the Red Button facility. there's a lot of fledging chicks there just now.
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2014 7:00pm (Jun 11th 2014)

I think it said in the blog that many chicks elsewhere have already fledged - I think the Derby ones like to take their time over it!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2014 2:42am (Jun 12th 2014)

Maybe the Derby chicks are afraid of heights? I've been watching them too.