• CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 11:49am (Apr 7th 2011) edited

The much-anticipated hencam Easter competition is coming very soon!

In fact, as a prelude, there is a pre-competition - we want to know from you what the competition should be!

(not that we haven't got anything planned or anything!)

Prizes are a very cute chocolate chicken in a nest with eggs, and hencam fridge magnets (yes! I finally got round to sorting some out and getting them ordered - just don't tell Helen how much I've spent!)
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 2:19pm (Apr 7th 2011)

Ahaha good to see it's as last minute as always :tooth:

Get thinking people!!
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 7:26pm (Apr 7th 2011)

got to keep the traditions going Red. I can not think of anything at the mo but will try to come up with something.
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 7:31pm (Apr 7th 2011)

What about a poem? (I can hear Julie sharpening her nib from here! :) )
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 7:35pm (Apr 7th 2011)

Ha ha you remember when we did all those rhymes CC that was so funny. I must look it all back up, I was chuckling all evening while we were writing them.
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 7:36pm (Apr 7th 2011)

oh forgot to say a poem is a jolly good idea.
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2011 9:08pm (Apr 7th 2011)

Yes, that's a great idea!
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2011 4:42am (Apr 8th 2011)

yes yes a poem or limerick!!!!:face-smile:

Here's a quick limerick to start us off, just a bit of nonesense.

There once was a rabbit so plump
    Deservedly labeled a grump

He hopped by hencam
    Left some eggs just for Bam

So poor Kasper is down in the dumps.

( I know, I know chocolate not good for doggies!!! or so the little American boy used to say on tv ad when his labrabor wanted an Oreo cookie).
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2011 1:01pm (Apr 8th 2011)

Poems sound good and I will have to put my thinking cap on and she if my poetry brain cells are still there to use.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2011 1:02pm (Apr 8th 2011) edited

:rofl:

It's true, if a dog eats a significant amount of chocolate you are supposed to make them sick and then take them to the vets...

I suggested maybe a 'paint an egg shell' type thing (it was a tradition at our primary school to paint boiled / hollowed out eggs and make them into things...I won with Humpty Dumpty one year :cool: ), or something crafty like that. Poems are a good idea too.

Like these, but more Easter-y:
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2011 6:14pm (Apr 8th 2011)

I don't know about loading pics up. Or is it down?
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2011 8:30pm (Apr 8th 2011)

Limerick is a good idea as its more compact than a poem and more of a 'leveller'. Plus it would take out the debate about whether a poem should rhyme etc.

There once was a man called Neil
    Who wanted a good wholesome meal
    So he went to see Tilly
    Who said "don't be silly,
    At easter choc eggs are the deal".

What paints do you use on the eggs Red? I'm wondering if I could do it with Caitlyn.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2011 10:38pm (Apr 8th 2011)

Posted By: chief chickenI don't know about loading pics up. Or is it down?

Ah, that's true CC.

Kate, you can use any paint, or felt tips too. I bet Caitlyn would love it, it's really easy to stick cardboard 'ears' or 'wings' on to make bunny's or chicks too!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 10:03am (Apr 14th 2011)

So it's decided then? A limerick / poem / short story / craft competition!

You get to choose which section you want to enter in, then it's up to you!

Competition ends, April 31st!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 11:13am (Apr 14th 2011) edited

Okay, here's my poem - but I'm so making something too ;)

Easter’s here and spring’s a bloom

In our flat there’s not much room

Tortoise, fish, hissers under a log

Mouse, hamster and now even a dog

Lyle complaining about lack of space

Ps3 in the cupboard, what a waste!

Sunny weather melts into rain

The good British weather, it’s never the same!

The Easter bunny comes in the night

Leaves some chocolate out of sight

Sun climbs up, as birds start to twitter

My egg’s vegan, dark chocolate and bitter

Each of our pets has their own easter surprise

A new day’s here, up all, arise!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 5:30pm (Apr 14th 2011)

:clap::thumbup1:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 7:47pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Very nice indeed Red, I think I might make something as well not sure what yet but I will come up with something Im sure.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 11:05pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Thanks :blush: :tooth: What are you making NN? I was thinking, because it's an 'enter anything you want' competition you could even enter an Easter cake or buns or anything!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2011 2:23pm (Apr 15th 2011)

The poetry section of my brain is empty
    Try as I might but I still feel a numpty

Maybe when I recharge my brain
    Defrag it and not let it drain

Then the poetry will flow
    Like a warm sunny glow....

Gosh, I can't think of any more now..:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2011 5:21pm (Apr 15th 2011)

Here is my limmeric offering

The other hens sought to tease her

Because she would only eat pizza

So we sat her down in the sun

Paid to have her portrait done

And changed her name to Mona Lisa
      monalisa%20Jacki%20Yorke%20painting.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2011 6:06pm (Apr 15th 2011)

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2011 9:07pm (Apr 15th 2011)

NN :laugh:
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2011 4:48pm (Apr 16th 2011)

One night poor Penny and Tilly
    Were scared by the ghost of Our Milly.
    It turned out to be
    Mel's young family;
    Those chickens din't half feel silly...
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2011 9:08pm (Apr 16th 2011) edited

:thumbup::laugh:
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 5:13am (Apr 17th 2011)

oh wow all brilliant folks, must get my brain working again.
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2011 9:54pm (Apr 24th 2011)

I got my Easter offering made and will post it off on Tuesday I just hope it gets there on time now. I forgot the mail would be messed up with the bank holidays.
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2011 9:39am (Apr 25th 2011)

It'll be fine NN, knowing us the comp won't end till July anyway :laugh:
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2011 11:32pm (Apr 25th 2011)

We are going to Hardcastle Crags and Riddlestone hall tomorrow so will stuff them through the letter box as we will pass through. I hope thats ok.
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2011 7:47pm (Apr 26th 2011)

Neil parcel in the nesting box !!!!!! On WaY home chat soon
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2011 3:39pm (Apr 27th 2011) edited

I was wondering what Penny had laid!!!

I saw a weird shape on the hencam and thought maybe the postwoman had put it in there to protect it from the rain, but I couldn't believe it when I opened it!

Will post pics soon, but was very cute and a nice surprise!

(If anyone wants to anonymously donate piles of used banknotes, the nest box is always open!!)
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2011 8:48pm (Apr 27th 2011)

They are so lovely super shiny and were very pleased to see me. They chattered away to me and said it was fine to leave it with them as they would care for it. I hadn't planned on taking the liberty of seeing them with out any one at home. But it was exciting saying hello to them for real. Sorry I didn't have a ton of bank notes with me at the time, if I had I would have shared them out !!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2011 9:08pm (Apr 27th 2011)

They are ultra shiny...they gleam bottle green in the sun!
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2011 10:01pm (Apr 27th 2011)

Its a shame none of us spotted you there NN - or maybe it's just as well we didn't as we might've thought it was someone trying to steal them! Did you introduce yourself?! Looking forward to seeing what you've made ...
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 12:31pm (Apr 28th 2011) edited

Posted By: nanny northHee hee sorry about that I didn't know what to do as I tried to get it through the letter box scrunching it all up and every thing but with no joy. My word your letter box is low I had to sit on the step !!! Then I had the brain wave of leaving it with the girls.

Don't be silly NN, no liberties taken! :)

You're more than welcome to visit anytime, even more so if you mow the lawn and tidy up a bit in the garden! :D

Someone somewhere probably saw it live on the cam, so god knows what they made of it!
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 12:41pm (Apr 28th 2011) edited

Very cute!!! Well done NN!
      WP_000095.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 5:18pm (Apr 28th 2011)

How brilliant! Well done, NN!
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 6:39pm (Apr 28th 2011) edited

Hahahahaha NN they are so awesome!!!

There was one egg left today, so I decided I was gonna steal the shell :D

I made a Milly-hen-egg...Tada!
      apple18.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 8:02pm (Apr 28th 2011)

:crazy::cheer::thumbup:
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 11:08pm (Apr 28th 2011) edited

Thank you CC :blush: Easter just wouldn't be Easter without Milly-hen, she always used to 'buy' me a pressie!
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 9:15am (May 15th 2011)

Okay, the ajudicators (Simon Crow-ell, Piers Morg-hen and Amando Old-hen) have decided, and the winners were Nanny North and Red!!

NN, send me your address and we'll get your prize to you (should have arranged the prize giving a bit ago but hopefully it's still in date!!)
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 11:12am (May 15th 2011) edited

Well done , those girls.
    Loud applause !!!!!!
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 4:16pm (May 15th 2011)

:cheer::clap::thumbup::swingin::thumbup1::woohoo::yay_jump:
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 8:00pm (May 15th 2011)

Oh Wow thank you, just what I need to cheer me up Thank you I will whisper my address. I love the judges names by the way !!!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2011 11:47pm (May 15th 2011)

Well done NN - they were great items and you deserve extra credit for getting them to the judging panel!!!!!

You too Red - is Neil going to send you a prize too?
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 12:18am (May 16th 2011)

well done gilrs, well deserved.:hurray::cheerleader::clap::cheer:
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 3:21pm (May 16th 2011)

Scarlet had her prizes delivered this weekend in person :)
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 7:15pm (May 16th 2011) edited

Hmmmm, posh chocolate nom nom nom!!
    Thank you judges. 'Grats NN! :)
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 10:15pm (May 16th 2011)

Sounds good to me and yes grats to you also Red. I don't usually win anything so feel well pleased.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2011 10:53pm (May 16th 2011) edited

Haha, I don't think I deserved to win - I just pestered my parents enough by asking who'd won that they eventually had to buy me off with vegan chocolate!!! :rofl:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2011 1:45pm (May 18th 2011)

well done NN and Red. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2011 3:06pm (May 18th 2011)

• CommentTimeMay 18th, 2011 3:10pm (May 18th 2011) edited

I got my prize today:face-smile: Thank you very much. I will certainly enjoy the treat.

Neil is MAGIC cos he can change picture one into picture two !!!!
      Img_3744.jpg
      Img_5751.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2011 9:31pm (May 18th 2011)

Awesome, brill pics NN :laugh:
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2011 11:57am (May 19th 2011) edited

Glad it got there in one piece :)

Oh, if anyone else wants one, there's a FREE FRIDGE MAGNET with every donation to hencam! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2011 12:50pm (May 20th 2011)

I donate hours spent cleaning the coop and run, where's mine? :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2011 5:08pm (May 22nd 2011)

Great pics NN well done.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2011 3:12pm (May 25th 2011)

Scarlet you can collect it this weekend!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2011 5:36pm (May 25th 2011)

Awesome :tooth: