• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 2:24pm (Apr 28th 2011)

I have a question. Do chickens actually need housing? My neighbour doesn't seem to think so as he has just broken up and burned his old coop and now lets his birds roost on the fence panel overnight.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 3:34pm (Apr 28th 2011)

Hi Volka.
    I wonder how long before Mr Fox spots them?
    :wha:
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 5:05pm (Apr 28th 2011)

Just what I was thinking, Ollie!:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 6:24pm (Apr 28th 2011) edited

Yeah, there's a few problems with that, most of them being the danger from predators...foxes, badgers, dogs, cats, hawks, owls, even humans!

Then there's the problem of the weather. If it rains overnight and they get wet whilst sleeping they'll find it difficult to keep their body temperature up; they will be cold and miserable. A soggy hen is not as happy as a dry hen...most chucks don't like rain! Then there's the problem of winter when the temp drops, bringing with it cold wind, rain and snow...

It's definitely not something I would advise at all.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 8:00pm (Apr 28th 2011)

Can't you encourage them to join your lot, Volka?:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 10:17pm (Apr 28th 2011)

Is there any chance of convincing him to change his mind and at least giving them some shelter from adverse weather? It sounds like he doesn't want them anymore and is hoping they'll leave! Maybe someone will call the RSPCA anonymously.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2011 11:07pm (Apr 28th 2011)

Ask him how he'd like sleeping outside with loads of things that could eat you!

And if he argues that 'wild' chickens live outside, they're a totally different breed (they're SO much lighter than the breeds we know and can fly to the very tops of trees to stay safe). They also live in an entirely different climate to ours and don't have to deal with the chilly weather!
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 4:27pm (May 5th 2011)

I have already reported him twice to the RSPCA about his dog, the parrots, the rabbits and the ducks! Do you know, the entire easter holiday, neither he, his wife or any of the four children ever went into the back garden apart from the son to feed the chickens and dog in the morning?

It's ironic - most people complain about noisy/misbehaving neighbours and I'm driven nuts by neighbours who do absolutely nothing at all - LOL
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 6:26pm (May 5th 2011)

Can you not adopt the chickens and claim they flew into your garden?:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 10:41pm (May 5th 2011)

And I don't supppose the RSPCA have done anything. Did they even bother to turn up? I think as an organisation they've lost their way. It's very upsetting knowing that someone isn't looking after their animals properly.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 10:58pm (May 5th 2011) edited

The RSPCA are utterly terrible...I'm pretty sure I've told the story hundreds of times about when they said to toss an injured (but very much alive) deer over the wall and down the banking, and how they said they wouldn't drive out to pick Eva up (before we'd adopted her) because she was "just a chicken"...

Is there an animal control sort of thing in the UK or not?
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 11:06pm (May 5th 2011)

I cancelled my monthly donation when I read that they tell their inspectors to use bolt guns to destroy dogs they don't want to rehome. There was a long story explaining how it had come to light, but I don't have time to relate that now. However, I think they're the only organisation with the power to go in and take the animals if they are mistreated.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2011 11:13pm (May 5th 2011)

That's really surprising that they're the only ones who have that power, especially as I really don't trust them at all. The news about the dogs sounds horrible, but sadly it doesn't surprise me...
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2011 7:05pm (May 10th 2011)

There are just some people in this world that just SHOULDN'T have animals at all. The RSCPA over here isn't much better than yours in the UK. :face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2011 9:22pm (May 29th 2011)

To be fair, they did remove the kittens and the rabbit, gave him vouchers to get the older cats neutered (and surprisingly, he did) but the inspector did admit that she didn't really know enough about hen/duck keeping. Although she told nextdoor to give the dog more room, and she came back two later unannouced to check, he still didn't do as she said. Was left feeling that it was a bit half-hearted. I know there are animals out there in desperate situations but those birds are not happy. Since last writing, the fox has had two chickens. And I still can't get over how one can keep ducks but not give them even a paddling pool to splash about in.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2011 10:32pm (May 29th 2011)

Kittens and rabbits are easy to rehome - not so a dog, cat, hen or duck. It seems unbelievable that despite giving him orders to give the dog more room, and twice seeing he hadn't, that they've walked away. The animals out there in desperate situations weren't always that bad - it developed over time because no one did anything.

I am so sorry the chickens have been taken, and of course the 'easy' food source will encourage them to come back again therefore maybe putting yours at risk. I thought ducks had to have a pond? They choose to live on water so not doing so is cruel. Give him a paddling pool - they're about a fiver in Asda. How terrible to have to live next door to that - it must be awful to see.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 12:28pm (May 30th 2011)

Ducks don't necessarily need a pond, but they definitely prefer having water to paddle in. All they technically need is a bowl to drink and splash in, but it's far kinder to give them a pond...

Yet another reason why I hate the RSPCA, they don't care about those animals that aren't cute or fluffy, or they don't know enough about them to help them...You're in a horrible position volka :(
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 4:56pm (May 30th 2011)

All you ever seem to hear about from the RSPCA are horse rescues.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 5:24pm (May 30th 2011)

Because it's run by the rich horsey set. If you want to donate to the RSPCA give to your local branch, then you know the money's got to where it's needed.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2011 10:55pm (May 30th 2011)

That's a good point and a good idea CC. I'm a member of cat protection but I keep meaning to ask at the rehoming centre how the central funds are distributed. I often feel that they're poor relatives at Birmingham, but not having seen any other centres I could be wrong.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2011 5:22pm (May 31st 2011)

I heard such stories of the RSPCA being one of the richest charities in the country, but the ££££ never seems to roll downhill.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2011 10:45am (Jun 6th 2011)

But then having said that, I came home on Friday afternoon to find a RSPCA van outside nextdoor again (third time now) and the inspector out the back watching neighbour extend the dog pen - so not all bad.
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2011 10:17pm (Jun 6th 2011)

Hooray! Good to hear they're doing something about it.
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2011 11:31pm (Jun 6th 2011)

Very good news Volka