• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJun 8th, 2011 1:15pm (Jun 8th 2011)

Just how long does a hen stay broody for? This is the seventh week now for Rosie. We are doing everything - chucking her out regularly (we can't separate her from others), closing the pop hole for the last few hours of the day when everyone else has laid.
    It has had an effect on egg production as Rosie starts fussing about whoever has gone in to lay - it must be really annoying for them when all they want is peace and quiet and they've got this huge orange fluffball clucking at them and trying to climb in with them!
    Anyone got any ideas?
    • CommentTimeJun 8th, 2011 10:32pm (Jun 8th 2011)

Bless - she's turned into a proper mother hen! How old is she Volka?
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2011 4:03am (Jun 9th 2011)

Volka, I'm fighting the same battle with my hens..I have one that just doesn't want to give up. I make them go outside too..but one follows me around begging to let her back in till I give up and open the door to the coop again. Mine do give up after a month or so when they realize they have no babies (I take the eggs away from them every few hours during the day.) I wish I had an idea of how to help you, but I'm in the same boat as you.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2011 10:09am (Jun 9th 2011)

If they are really set on their broodiness, you can make a 'broody breaker' box (which is quite horrible but it's in the hen's best interests I guess).

It's a small enclosure with a wire mesh floor, and you leave the hen in there with food and water for a few days.

Apparently the air circulating around the hen's bum when it tries to sit breaks the broodiness, as they need to produce a certain high temp to incubate the eggs, and when they can't, it must trigger the end of been broody.
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2011 6:21am (Jun 10th 2011)

I've tried that one already, Neil..it's not working. My little Silkies don't seem to care if they are sitting on the wire...or that they have no eggs under them..silly little critters.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2011 2:33pm (Jun 14th 2011)

We've taken to removing Rosie to the front of the house during the day - she can scratch around on the gravel drive to her heart's content and sit in the flower pots. But as soon as she's allowed back in allotment, she's through that pop hole like a rat up a drain pipe!
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2011 3:38pm (Jun 15th 2011)

Tilly was broody for almost 3 months once... :laugh:

Can't think of much advice volka. I've heard it recommended to put ice cubes under a broody, but I hate the thought of that. And at the end of the day they're just (somewhat stupidly) trying to hatch out little chicklets :smile:

We always just left Tilly to it and she snapped out of it eventually, but I'm not sure what else to suggest...closing the pophole whenever possible, disturbing her as often as you can, giving them new toys to attack (whole heads of lettuce, cabbage, apples etc)...