• CommentAuthorthingameejig
    • CommentTimeJun 26th, 2011 10:06pm (Jun 26th 2011)

Hi guys I have just found your site and become a member whilst trying to gain help for one of our chickens. Our bantam has been laying successfully, today we have observed her squatting under the hut, she seems disorientated and clumsy on her feet. She is hunched her feathers are fluffed up and she seems to occasionally try and lay... As best I can tell I think she is egg-bound. I have let her soak in warm water for approx 1/2 hour, fed her some olive oil and applied olive oil to her vent. Is there anything I am doing wrong, or can I do anymore ???
    • CommentTimeJun 26th, 2011 10:55pm (Jun 26th 2011)

Hi thingameejig, I don't have hens so can't offer specific advice (I am sure someone will be along soon who can!) but if you look at the top of the page you will see a 'search' option. Click it and type eggbound or egg bound into the box and some of the other posts on the subject will show up and may give you some other tips of things to try. Good luck, and I hope your girl will be OK.
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2011 2:28am (Jun 27th 2011)

It sounds like you have done everything right so far, thingameejig. I hope she will be alright. If she isn't better, you might see if you can find a vet to help, it could be something worse that eggbound.
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2011 12:42pm (Jun 27th 2011) edited

:welcome: to the forum thing!

Sorry to hear your little banty is eggbound, but yep it sounds like you have done everything right so far!

Try having a read of this thread, and you might want to search for some others like Kate said, there's quite a few floating round the forum!

Also I second what Lynn said about taking your chuck to a vet. We had a hen die as a result of being egg bound and it was horrible. Try phoning all the vets in your area and ask what experience they have with chickens, sometimes farm vets can be a better option. You want a vet that knows their stuff, a lot don't in regards to chickens and are worse than useless.

Some people believe keeping her in a quiet, dark room on her own can help too, as it helps her relax. Putting her in a darkened room will also slow / and stop the laying process so she doesn't try lay another egg on top of the stuck one!

Good luck, let us know how she gets on :)
    • CommentAuthorDesiree
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 11:02am (Apr 21st 2012)

I need to know if my chicken is egg bound, she walks with a wide gait very slowly asif in pain, & has a swollen belly which is kind of squidgy, any ideas as to what is wrong?
    :face-crying:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 1:22pm (Apr 21st 2012) edited

Could be she's egg bound, but it could be all sorts of other things too...usually with egg binding you can feel a hard lump (the egg) and not a squidginess. Is she eating and drinking, active? Has she always walked like this or has it just started?

I'd probably get her to a chicken-friendly and experienced vet if I were you...

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    • CommentAuthorDesiree
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 5:23pm (Apr 21st 2012)

she does eat & drink but not always. walking like this has just started, The front of her belly is squidgy, the rear (near the vent which I can't find ) but below where she poos from is harder & the skin is dark & shadowy
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2012 4:43pm (Apr 22nd 2012)

Front of her belly as in her crop area? Hold on I'll try find an illustration...

If her crop feels full and squidgy is could easily be a crop impaction that's making her feel a little ill...although it doesn't explain her walking weird.

I'd treat her for both...read this thread (you'll have to scroll up):

And try the things for crop impaction and egg binding. If she's no better you want to take her to a chicken-friendly vet ASAP...I had one of my girls die on the way to the vets from being egg bound and it was horrible :(