• CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2011 1:12pm (Jul 3rd 2011)

Those of you following @hencam on Twitter (and if you aren't, why not?!), and reading at 1:00am in the morning will know that I knackered my foot digging in the garden...

I was digging some plants up when my foot slipped off the spade, the corner of the top of the spade sliced through the side of my best trainers, my socks, and finally my foot. :'(

At first I didn't realise I was bleeding, I was more annoyed at what I'd done to my left trainer! But when I touched the hole and it was wet with blood, I felt a bit worried.

I took my trainer off and my sock was already dripping with blood, so Helen made me wrap it in a towel and she took me to the A&E department.

We got there at about 9:30 (on a Saturday night - great!). I was finally seen at about 11:30, had the wound cleaned (PAINFUL!), then sent for x-rays as I might have chipped the bone when I spanged it with the spade.

More waiting, then a local anaesthetic (which was more painful than the initial injury!), then 3 stitches and 2 tetanus jabs (did I say I really don't like needles?!)

Finally got home at about 1am, finding it really hard to walk as when I put any pressure on my foot it hurts like hell (can you bruise your bone?) - feels like the inside is on fire when I put any weight on it.

So all in all, a really great Saturday night! Hope yours was better!
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2011 1:43pm (Jul 3rd 2011)

Poor you, Neil, how is it now? You could take arnica pills too - it speeds healing. Hope you're feeling better soon...:flowers:
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2011 7:03pm (Jul 3rd 2011)

Oh no, Neil. That's awful! I hope it will get better very soon..it sounds so painful. :flowers:
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2011 9:03pm (Jul 3rd 2011)

Idiot, why didn't you tell me?! :angry: You're worse than the dog!

Get better soon and stop whinging :heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2011 9:59pm (Jul 3rd 2011)

At least it didn't cost him to get his foot stitched up! (But Kasper's was seen sooner!)
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2011 10:20pm (Jul 3rd 2011)

Thanks for the kind words! It's still pretty painful when I put weight on it (have a lot of weight to put on it...!) I think it's where I jarred the bone - argh! Feeling very sorry for myself!

Sorry Scarlet, it was too late to tell you when it happened then I haven't really told anyone apart from hencam / twitter (forgot to tell my mum and dad - oops!)

Luckily, my car has an automatic mode so I can just rest the left foot, which even more luckily is the one I've bust, so I can still get to work!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2011 1:46pm (Jul 4th 2011)

Neil, I hope you feel better soon and are only allowed in the garden under supervision from now on. :face-smile:

Would have sent a box of chocolates to make you feel better but I thought I'd be ecological, save on the postage etc....so have opened the box and have eaten some on your behalf. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2011 5:05pm (Jul 4th 2011)

She's sooooooooooooooooooo thoughtful, bless her...:rolling: Howzit today, Neil?
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2011 9:59pm (Jul 4th 2011)

Definitely one in a million - thankfully!

Today I have a stupid limp 'cos I can't put weight on my foot or it feels like it's burning inside, but it's not that bad most of the time.
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2011 10:03pm (Jul 4th 2011)

My son kicked the bird feeder (no, I don't know how he managed it - claims he was trying to kick Caitlyn's ball) and took the skin off one toe and bruised it, and he's got a stupid limp. I think your limp is a perfectly justified one after what you did! Did they decide you had broken/chipped the bone? Have you got an appointment to go back and get it checked out again soon?
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2011 12:44pm (Jul 5th 2011)

:face-smile:God Neil you did do yourself an injury there,cant let you outside with anything bigger than a knife and fork form now on...be carefull buddy and heal up soon.:face-plain:
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2011 4:08pm (Jul 5th 2011)

How are you today Limp A Lot? :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2011 7:03pm (Jul 6th 2011)

• CommentTimeJul 7th, 2011 1:54am (Jul 7th 2011)

What a brilliant idea CC and I can come over and 'plant' some gorg plastic purple flowers.
    :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2011 1:20pm (Jul 7th 2011)

Posted By: chief chickenHe's going to concrete over the whole garden and paint it in two-tone green stripes so he doesn't have another hurtie!

The chickens would be allowed out then because there'd be nothing to destroy! Although they probably wouldn't enjoy it too much...
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2011 1:44pm (Jul 7th 2011)

Hope the hurtie foot is better to-day.

I'll have the rest of the chocolates on your behalf to-day. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2011 10:12pm (Jul 7th 2011)

Sorry to hear about your poorly foot Neil I hope you feel better soon.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2011 1:03am (Jul 8th 2011)

:face-smile:Shobhna that is so considerate I think I might have a hot chocolate and a choccy too for Neil as it's freezing here today, well freezing by Aussie standards, which is probably quite mild by yours.
    Neil hope the 'ouch' is getting better.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2011 6:55pm (Jul 8th 2011)

I think I might have a bucket of white wine for him...
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2011 11:07pm (Jul 9th 2011)

How is the foot today Neil?
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2011 5:25pm (Jul 10th 2011)

Stitches come off tomorrow - yay!

New competition - win my stitches! (sorry I was just a bit sick in my mouth then) - maybe not...
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2011 6:53pm (Jul 10th 2011)

Tell us the rules of the competition and I'll make sure I lose...Bleurgh! :ack2:
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2011 8:09pm (Jul 10th 2011)

We could use them as dental floss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :_puke:
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2011 9:40pm (Jul 10th 2011)

Oh Lee, gross!!!!!

Hahaha, that just reminded me of a story from when I was at Primary School. It was show and tell day and I took in my rat's stitches (he'd just had a tumour removed). I took them in in a matchbox and one horrible teacher saw me with it and dragged me to the headmaster's office without asking for an explanation, assuming they were matches.

When they heard what was inside the teacher was so humiliated, and obviously had to apologise. My headmaster was gob smacked and a little grossed out :laugh:
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2011 10:52pm (Jul 10th 2011)

Ha ha!! That'll teach the teacher to ask first and act second. A very strange show and tell to take in, but it's the sort of thing I'd have taken too!
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2011 7:17am (Jul 11th 2011)

Great story Red i can just picture it!!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2011 12:13pm (Jul 11th 2011)

Lyle had to take in a 'show and tell' as part of his job training for Alton Towers, and I made him take a Hisser shed in in a matchbox :tooth:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2011 12:48pm (Jul 11th 2011)

Ugh !!!!! Ugh !!!!!!
    OK.....I have to stop my stomach heaving now. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2011 4:32pm (Jul 11th 2011)

Nice one Red !!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2011 10:29pm (Jul 11th 2011)

Hahahaha :rofl:
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2011 10:42pm (Jul 15th 2011)

I had my stitches out, and tomorrow my foot will be nekkid - no dressing on it - hurrah! (probably not so good news if you get to see it)...
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2011 7:17am (Jul 16th 2011)

But nice for you to have it all taken off at last Neil.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2011 9:58pm (Jul 16th 2011)

Has the bruising faded, or will it be there for a while to remind you of your foolishness?! (I thought gardening was meant to be a safe hobby!)
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2011 10:50am (Jul 18th 2011)

It's not too bad now, just looks like frankensteins foot where the stitches were! Hurts when I press it, but otherwise it's fine now.

It will be a while before I ever do any gardening I tell you!! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2011 12:12pm (Jul 18th 2011)

Neil, you will have to get good at delegating gardening tasks.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2011 4:29pm (Jul 18th 2011)

Hmmm... it's usually the digging that's delegated to me though. :)
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2011 5:13pm (Jul 18th 2011)

Posted By: neil Hurts when I press it

Well DON'T then...:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2011 8:27pm (Jul 18th 2011)

Haha, CC! Dad, the chickens will happily do the digging for you...maybe not in the right places though!!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2011 6:24pm (Jul 22nd 2011)

How is the foot, Neil? Feel any better now the stitches are out? When you're not pressing it, that is!