• CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2011 8:46pm (Jul 5th 2011)

Hi you'll never guess..... i have a problem!
    I think my hen is suffering from mites gapeworm and infectious bronchitis

1)Mites I think my poor tawny has mites because there are lots of places on her legs where she has been pulling her scales off to get the mites out!

2)Gapeworm all of my hens seem to have gapeworm they open there beaks wide and then push their beaks forward it is the weardest thing annd some of my hens sit there panting beak openwide!

3)Infectious bronchitis i think my hen has this illness because when she lays eggs they have a mushy shell or no shell atall! I am quite worried it has probably been about 2 months since she layed a successfull egg and it wasn't looking it's best then!

Has anybody got anything to advise me I am new to this site please HELP
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2011 8:48pm (Jul 5th 2011)

please help her life depends on it:face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2011 8:52pm (Jul 5th 2011)

I would especially like red to have a go at this since I have read what you have put further up and that has saved lives so please do the same with mine!
    :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2011 10:36pm (Jul 5th 2011)

Hi George and welcome to the forum. I'm here but can't help as I don't have hens! There is a thread on here about mites and hens pulling at the scales on their legs - while you're waiting for someone to come back with a good answer it might be worth doing a search using the box above. There aren't many of us that post regularly on the forum, and we do consider Red and Neil to be the experts! I am sure one of them will be along soon to advise you.

Do you have a good chicken vet? It sounds like she may need some antibiotics for bronchitis.

Please keep us updated on her progress - it really does help the next person along who may have a similar question.
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2011 10:53am (Jul 6th 2011)

I'm not an expert by any means :gasp: , but I am in the process of replying :)
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2011 11:04am (Jul 6th 2011) edited

Hey george, :welcome: to the site! The way the forum works, you won't always get an immediate reply (not like a chat function) but people will respond as soon as they can, usually within 24 hours :smile:

Sorry to hear your hen is sick. I'll tackle the problems in the way you've listed them:

1) Mites on the leg affecting the scales as you've described would indicate scaly leg mites. We have several threads on the forum that you will find useful and that describe how to deal with them (clean the legs gently with a toothbrush, try not to remove any damaged scales, and then smother the legs in Vaseline - you can treat all your girls with this, even those that aren't showing symptoms):

That's the best thread, so have a read of that.

Also, it could be that your girls are suffering from another form of mite infestation. That can result in lack of egg production and anaemia - are their combs pale or vivid red?

In order to deal with this you need to buy some Diatomaceous Earth (which you can buy from the link below). You sprinkle this where your hens dust bathe and sleep, dust their feathers with it, and can also add a little to their food. This will get rid of external and internal parasites.

2) Gapeworm - extending the neck and panting like you've described does indicate gape worm, unless they are doing it because they are overheated! Gapeworm is easy to pick up (from bugs they eat, eggs ingested from the soil) and can become a very serious condition when left, resulting in your girls suffocating. Worming them even if they don't have worms won't harm them, a good frequent worming regime is very important when keeping chickens.

Do you worm your girls? I recommend using Flubenvet (can be bought from the internet or food stores; ask your vet if they stock it too), and worming them every six months, I think it is (check the pack).

3) Infectious Bronchitis - nasty! It will be difficult to know if it is this your girls are suffering from, or if the lack of eggs and panting is a result of the gapeworm and mites as the symptoms are similar...panting, odd eggs being laid, egg production falling etc.

I'm not even sure what can be done for infectious bronchitis, I know a vaccine can be administered when the birds are young to prevent it, but I'm not sure what can be done to treat it, sorry. Your best bet here is to go to a (good) vet, one that has experience with chickens (an unexperienced vet trying to deal with chickens is useless). Sometimes farm vets are best.

Please remember, if your chicken's life is in danger, don't rely on me (I don't have all the answers, I'm not a vet, I might be away from the forum etc), an experienced vet is a much better point of call.
    I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us updated :)
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2011 6:45am (Jul 7th 2011) edited

hi which vet should i go to to get the anti-biotics from the hen i need to treat with them is 2 and 1/2 years old and she is an ex-bat will these meds do any good/ Oh well i'll just giv'em a go they wont hurt they may do some good! By the way all of my flock have gapeworm and all of my flock have mites but only two out of my four have infectious bronchitis. Thanks alot guys especially Red hope this helps you to get this right:face-plain:

Your help is allways appreciated!
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2011 2:07pm (Jul 9th 2011)

I can only parrot that I don't have a clue about anti-biotics...have you had some prescribed by a vet?

Where abouts are you based, maybe someone on the forum could recommend a good chicken vet nearby?

It's likely that if some of your chickens have infectious bronchitis, the others will already have caught it but will just not show symptoms yet. Have you had them diagnosed with IB?

I'd say treat them for mite and gapeworm (using DE and Flubenvet), get the vet to prescribe whatever meds they need for any other problems, and take it from there.
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2011 8:16pm (Jul 12th 2011)

My hen's just been given Baytril by the vet as an antibiotic; she has to have 0.4 of some foreign measurement every day in her food (I put it in yoghurt).
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2011 11:00pm (Jul 12th 2011) edited

I"m sure she'll love the yoghurt, and as long as it works it's worth the effort! Do you have to throw her eggs away while she's on meds?
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2011 11:46pm (Jul 12th 2011) edited

No, you can't eat chicken's eggs when they're taking Baytril...you should leave it 28 days...

Baytril is the anti-biotic every vet dishes out to chickens, but it's not actually licensed to be used with poultry or given to hens laying eggs to be eaten by humans. I've actually heard quite a few times that it's illegal to for a vet to prescribe Baytril to poultry, and yet it seems to be the most common drug prescribed...there's also some info out there saying you should never eat their eggs again!!

I'd happily use Baytril on any of the girls if it would help them get better though, and just chuck the eggs for 28 days...
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2011 3:49pm (Jul 13th 2011)

Livia isn't laying at the mo, so it's academic anyway. The vet said not to eat the eggs for a while and did say that the reason some say never to eat their eggs again is that it hasn't been tested formally.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2011 11:15pm (Jul 13th 2011)

Baytril was always the antibiotic of choice for the rats too. Thankfully didn't have to consider any eggs!! I suspect that 'domestic' vets will prescribe it because most chickens they see are pets so it is easy to dispose of the eggs. Not so in a farm environment.

Is Livia showing any signs of improvement?
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2011 7:34am (Jul 15th 2011)

I really appreciate all of your help I will do what red has suggested and take it from there thanks all of you keep in touchxx
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2011 10:57am (Aug 2nd 2011)

why is my thread being ignored:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2011 10:52pm (Aug 2nd 2011)

Hi George - it's not being ignored! Since your last post on 15th July you haven't added any more info so there was nothing to reply to. There are lots more threads on the forum - why not join in on a few? You don't have to stick to just one!

Do you have an update about your hens and how they are doing now?
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2011 9:05pm (Aug 4th 2011)

Sorry george! I keep missing your thread because you can't see it on the main page (it gets pushed underneath all the Stickies!) and I always forget to use the 'new posts' button.

Kate's suggestion is great - join in more of the threads! Everyone would love to chat to you, and you can leap in and post anywhere!
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2011 5:26pm (Aug 16th 2011)

not the hen I have been talking about earlier in this thread but another one has something seriously wrong with it!

She cannot walk correctly and has fattened up LOADS! she is like a buldoser:face-monkey:and is a lot heavier too. she has sat down in a nesting box all day long and I dont know what is wrong with her rede can u help or any other willing soul please help me I am desperate is my hen dying will she still be there when I get home?????:face-crying:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2011 5:28pm (Aug 16th 2011)

and sorry when i said my thread was being ignored i wasn't in a good mood
    :face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2011 6:20pm (Aug 16th 2011)

is she broody or constipated what can I do to help her
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2011 10:48pm (Aug 16th 2011)

Hi George, I don't have hens, but I suppose the most obvious thing is that she's broody. Has she pulled any feathers out of her chest? Was she laying OK before this? Is she still eating and drinking?

The most common thing to 'worry' about is being egg bound, where an egg gets stuck. Can you feel any lumps that could be a stuck egg? There is a thread that lists the most common things and what you should do - it's a sticky so have a look at the list and I'm sure you'll find it. I'll go have a look when I've finished typing this!

Red moved house at the weekend so probably won't be up and running on the computer yet, but someone else might jump in with advice. Do you have a vet you could take her to if you're worried?
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2011 10:54pm (Aug 16th 2011)

Found it!

Under the main heading - Emergencies!
    Common Chicken Ailments and their solutions - check here especially newbies!

Or something like that. Red wrote a long list of the most common things they can suffer from so until someone who knows what they're talking about comes along, try there!
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2011 7:55pm (Aug 17th 2011)

:face-plain:hi and she is not eating or drinking unless we take her out of the coop and before she became broody she was not laying frequently:face-monkey:
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2011 11:00pm (Aug 17th 2011)

How is she today George? Any change?
    How are the other hens? Have they all recovered from their illnesses you'd mentioned before?
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2011 7:24am (Aug 18th 2011)

George, after my hens,the ones who like to go broody, lay a certain number of eggs, they will go broody even if there are no eggs in the nest box and they have stopped laying. I too have to force them out of the coop and make them eat and drink. Some of my hens I have to fight with for a couple of weeks to get them to give up on the broody thing. In a couple of weeks after they give up, they start to lay again. Some breeds of chickens are famous for broodiness and some breeds won't brood eggs at all.
    I hope your girl is just having one of her "broody times" and will snap out of it soon.
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2011 9:32am (Aug 18th 2011)

Hi George,

Agree with Lynn, sounds like you have a broody hen... they plump up (they look huge!), refuse to get off the nest apart from once a day to poo, eat and drink, and make a weird chirrup noise to warn you off if you hassle them :)

They run a fever to keep the eggs at the right temperature for incubation.

You can 'break' them out of it which involves putting them in a small pen that has a wire mesh floor - it's the cool air around their bum that makes them realise that they aren't sat on eggs...

Or they usually snap out of it after a 2 or 3 weeks - not sure which is best for them really, it's not great to have them broody if they aren't actually going to hatch anything. I'd be tempted to giver a couple of weeks and just keep removing the eggs (she'll probably collect any laid under her!), and see if she gets the message - be nice and gentle, and try and tempt her away from the nest with treats.

Let us know how you get on!

ps. Red isn't ignoring you - she recently moved so hasn't got any Internet yet... she'll be back soon!
    • CommentTimeAug 19th, 2011 6:28pm (Aug 19th 2011)

Hi all!

Sorry to hear you have another hen acting oddly george! But as the others say, it sounds like she could be broody. Broody hens fluff themselves up and rarely leave the nest, they stop laying, and will make a funny noise if you go near or disturb them. Oh, and watch out for those huge 'broody poops' that they do, they are absolutely massive and really stink!!

If she doesn't take herself off the nest at least once a day to eat and drink (most broodies will but some are particularly stubborn) then you'll have to turf her off. She should eat and drink, dust bathe madly and then return to the nest!

The amount of time broodiness lasts changes with the individual hen and her breed, it usually lasts anywhere between a few days to a month or so.

Watch out for the signs of broodiness to be sure she's not ill with anything else - when kicked off the nest she quickly returns, she is able to walk and such but she wants to sit on the nest, any broody poops, funny noises etc.

• CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2012 8:37am (Mar 18th 2012)

hi guys sorry i've bot been on for a while just thought I'd give you all an update the hen above which we have been talking about has recently died I found her in the nesting box one evening when I went to check for eggs. Another one of my hens, florrie seems to have an ear problem it is filled up with something not sure what it is any ideas?????:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2012 8:39am (Mar 18th 2012)

And if you do know do I need to get rid of it is it anything serious?????
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2012 6:34pm (Mar 21st 2012)

George it sounds like she has ear canker, you need to clean it out and put her on antibiotics for the next 10 days or so..could you take a picture of her ear so we could tell for sure that is what it is?
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2012 10:38am (Mar 24th 2012)

kk I'll try but she can get a bit fighsty some of the time I'll do my best to get a clear photo
    :face-smile::face-smile::face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2012 10:39am (Mar 24th 2012)

hey could you get red on the thread too that would be a help thnx
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2012 10:44am (Mar 24th 2012)

sorry it looks like it has all cleared up thanks for offering to help though!!!!!
    :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2012 10:45am (Mar 24th 2012)

I'll keep you all updated though!
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2012 8:55am (Mar 25th 2012)

My rhode island red isn't laying but my older ex-bat is. Any ideas why and how i could get her back on the nest??????
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2012 10:18pm (Mar 31st 2012) edited

Hi George sorry I haven't replied sooner - I always miss messages that 'fall off' the main page!!

Sorry to hear about your hen that passed away, but I'm glad the hen with a poorly ear has recovered! :smile:

As for the Rhode Island Red, hmm it could be quite a few things...I've written a long post on lack of egg production, so if you follow this link and scroll to the last post, you should find some info with a bold heading reading 'My chicken is not laying eggs. Why?' :001_smile:

Hope this helps!
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 7:37am (Apr 11th 2012)

• CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 7:59am (Apr 11th 2012) edited

her comb is bright up pointy and bright red she has always laid an egg a day for us so i guess thats why we were a bit worried we started off with 4 ex - bats then one died, scarlett so we got our warren, florrie then another one passed away and we decided to leave it at that because were building a new coop and are going to get 6 new hens from chelmsford market any ideas on what to get longest most regular layer possibly when they stop laying though were a bit iffy on wot to do with them does anyone on here have an idea or want the 3 chooks 1 is still laying the other is 1 year old and is a warren so probably will lay again and the other one has not layed for a while and probably wont again but is really cute to watch.:face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 8:14am (Apr 11th 2012)

sozz tried to upload some picks but it wont let me darn computer lol
    :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 7:33pm (Apr 12th 2012) edited

Posted By: georgesorry its a warren not a rhode island red and she now seems to be trying to put twigs onto her back under her feathers is she going bonkars?????

That's completely normal, most female hens tend to do that...closest I can get is that it's something to do with nest building.

As for what to do with them when they stop laying...keep them! They've worked hard for years laying eggs for you to eat, so the least you can do is give them a happy retirement :bigsmile:

Besides which, some hens take a break in egg laying and then start up again! My chickens are going to be 9 years old and they still lay us eggs!!

Good breeds for a decent number of eggs include: Warrens / ISA Browns, Rhode Island Reds, any form of Sussex, Leghorns (they're harder to tame), and hybrids such as Sex Links, Speckledys etc.
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 7:38pm (Apr 12th 2012)

Another one of my hens seems to be a bit down she hobbles around depressingly and then stands there and closes her eyes and goes to sleep - our oldest hen - 2 1/2 years old
    :face-monkey:
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 7:40pm (Apr 12th 2012) edited

her comb has gone sulky and she is generally slow
    :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2012 8:44am (Apr 13th 2012)

the hen i was talking about above also has a red spot on the top fold of her vent it is not blood and when i put my hand anywhere near it she constantly reflexes it like she is trying to get something out.
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 10:48am (Apr 21st 2012)

:face-devil-grin:my hen florrie has not layed an egg with a shell for 3weeks now but when i go and check for the egg all I find is a yolk and an egg white how can i get the shell back the have oyster shell available all the time but it doesn't work for her!!!!!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2012 1:16pm (Apr 21st 2012) edited

2.5 years old is very young for a hen. It sounds to me like either she is egg bound (egg stuck inside her) or the egg cracked inside her. She could have shell inside which could well poison her...

I recommend reading this thread: http://www.hencam.co.uk/hencam_forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=686&page=1#Item_10

Try all the remedies for egg binding, check out crop impaction and mites too...if all else fails I would definitely take her to the vets if she doesn't perk up :smile:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 6:50pm (Apr 26th 2012)

she's died I came home one day and there she was dead under the roosting bars it looks like she was ingreat pain and she had fell under them she looked fine in the morning but obviously not when I got home!!!!!:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2012 4:22pm (May 8th 2012)

Sounds like Scarlet was right - she was egg bound and the partly-formed shells inside her gave her blood poisoning which ultimately killed her. :(

It's often best to get a hen in similar situation to the vets ASAP, egg binding is quite nasty it can all happen very quickly unfortunately.

Sorry for your loss.
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 7:47am (May 23rd 2012)

Sorry guys it wasn't florrie it was my other hen tawny she definitely was a weird and wonderful hen.:face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 8:00am (May 23rd 2012)

I think now that it was mareks that caused tawny's death poor her.:face-sad:

Florrie is a warren and she does not have any lumps near her vent but she does tend to have her tail pointing towards the ground should I try the bath for her??????
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 5:09pm (May 23rd 2012) edited

You *think* it might be Marek's?

If you even suspect it could be, you need to get your hens tested at a good vets. It is a serious disease and cannot simply be ignored. You need more than a bath for that!!!

This is another case of people not prepared to take their hens to the vets when they are obviously suffering. If you cannot or are not prepared to take care of your hens (and this may mean paying for treatments, taking them to the vets, whatever), then YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE CHICKENS.

This isn't a dig at the original poster (actually I suppose it is), but it's more a moan in general. How many poor hens are going to die in horrendous pain because keeping chickens is suddenly trendy and owners can't be arsed taking them to vets when something goes wrong?! :(

In short: Mareks causes tumours on the bird's internal organs. A bath won't help. Take it to a vet.
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 6:00pm (May 23rd 2012)

Tawny is dead! I can be bothered thankyou!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 6:03pm (May 23rd 2012)

I'm talking about Florrie she seems to have egg binding but she has NO lumps near her vent and she OCCASIONALLY has her tail pointed to the ground. Which as I read on Red's thread, is a sign of egg binding! Is it egg binding??????
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 6:08pm (May 23rd 2012) edited

sorry I think there has been some confusion
    • CommentTimeMay 28th, 2012 10:19am (May 28th 2012)

My point was that if you think a hen in your flock has died of Marek's, then you should have the other hens tested for the disease. It won't just affect one bird, it is highly contagious so although some may not die of it straight away, they will all carry it and pass it on.

Your description of a hen with droopy tail could possibly be egg-binding, but it could equally be a hundred other things - it's the sign of an ill, depressed hen.

You can take it to a vet to have a professional diagnosis and possible remedy (or at least experience less suffering if it's something serious), or you can leave it and 'see if it gets better' by itself (or perhaps divine intervention?)

If you had a dog that suddenly couldn't walk, or a child that stopped eating, you'd take them to get looked at by a professional. The same should apply to a chicken.

You have a duty of care towards those animals and whilst the hencam forum is here to assist where possible, it is NOT an alternative to getting an animal checked out in person by a trained vet. Too many people here lately have assumed it is.

The mere fact that you have had hens die already and others showing signs of illness should reinforce that need to get them looked at, preferably sooner rather than later.
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2012 11:46am (May 30th 2012) edited

"Posted by Neil"You have a duty of care towards those animals

:iagree: I'll Second that
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeJun 7th, 2012 8:06am (Jun 7th 2012)

The hen with the droopy tail-Florrie. (the one that we have been talking about above) has recovered fully she always has her tail pointing up in the air and she seems to stick around with our older hen-Ronnie. Since our last hen died the relationship between them both has strengthened a great deal! Is this a good sigh (they have a year difference in age).
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2012 8:23pm (Jun 9th 2012)

George, I'm so happy that your little hen made a full recovery..that's wonderful.:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeAug 18th, 2012 12:05pm (Aug 18th 2012)

Hi I really could do with some help my hen - an ex-bat - is 4 years old (she's a warren). After we came back from a 2 week holiday our friends, that had been looking after our chooks, said that she had started laying soft shellled eggs. 2weeks on she has still not improved. We have gone from soft crushed eggs to harder crushed eggs to off coloured crushed eggs to yolks to no eggs at all. What can we do she has never layed soft eggs before she has been our no.1 layer!!! Is there a cheap recipe that can boost her energy levels???:face-plain:
    • CommentTimeAug 19th, 2012 9:23am (Aug 19th 2012)

George, your message appears on the "New Posts" section and not in the main forum, so you may find it gets overlooked as not every one regularly looks in here.

A saerch through the posts may get you some answer n the mean time, this is a question that has come up before.

I don't have hens so can't give you proper help.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2012 7:23pm (Sep 23rd 2012)

Ollie's right, George; i'e only just found your post. Is she any better? You're giving her grit/shell, are you? I often break an agginto a dish, shell and all, and it all goes. If they're off colour I mix honey and an egg, or scrambled egg, or honey and yoghourt. If that doesn't work, we go to the vet!