• CommentAuthorgoosegog
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2011 8:15pm (Sep 1st 2011)

Hi All
    We came back from work tonight and Geraldine is very poorly. Her comb is very pale and she just stood there and let us pick her up which is unheard of. We gave her oil and massaged her crop as it felt hard which she didn't mind. She is very thin although she is a skinny chicken normally anyway but extra boney today. Not sure if she's been laying as they are 3.5 years old now so quite sporadic in egg production. I have noticed the dreaded red mite is back again grrr. I have sprayed now and hoping it's only that. The others are looking well. She ate some yoghurt and a couple of sips of water but no more food. Don't know what to do? I honestly don't think she'll make it through the night :(
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2011 11:15pm (Sep 1st 2011)

I'm so sorry Goosegog. I know nothing about chickens, but I suspect that the mites can make her anaemic very quickly, especially if she is unwell because of a sour crop. I had a cat that was made sick very quickly by a large number of ticks, but once he had been treated he recovered quickly. I hope Geraldine can do the same. Is she the one that was ill recently?
    • CommentAuthorgoosegog
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2011 7:20pm (Sep 2nd 2011)

We took her to the vets this morning and although they treated her she died today from peritonitis. She was a lovely chicken. Completely thick with no brain at all but that is what made so her adorable. We buried her in the woods tonight. RIP GG x:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2011 8:34pm (Sep 2nd 2011)

Bless her...thinking of you, Goosegog. It's so horrible when it's not clear what to do to help them, isn't it? :heart:
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2011 11:45pm (Sep 2nd 2011)

Sorry to hear about Geraldine Goosegog, you did your best for her.:heart:
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2011 6:06pm (Sep 3rd 2011)

Aw sorry to hear that Goosegog :( Peritonitis is horrible anyway, and is usually fatal, so although sad there probably wouldn't have been anything that could have helped her :heart:
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2011 12:22am (Sep 4th 2011)

I'm so sorry Goosegog. She sounded like an adorable hen, and what a lovely resting place for her. Sleep soundly Geraldine, enjoy scratching around at the Rainbow Bridge. xx
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2011 7:01am (Sep 4th 2011)

Goosegog..I'm so very sorry to hear about your sweet little Geraldine. I had Peritonitis years ago myself and it nearly killed me. RIP little Geraldine.:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeSep 9th, 2011 7:39am (Sep 9th 2011)

Very sorry to here about Geraldine Goosegog very sad loosing a hen.