CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 1:25pm (Sep 21st 2011)

Hi all, this is Button, one of my new hens, when we got her her upper beak had been trimmed, having read various pages on the net I can't really make out if it is likely to grow back or not. It does stop her from picking up scratch food from certain surfaces, and we have to make sure her food is in a deep bowl bowl instead of a traditional feeder, any information would be appreciated.

"Buttons clipped beak"
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 11:15pm (Sep 21st 2011)

I found this post that Red (our resident 'expert' and daughter of site owner!) had made in another thread:

If a hen has been debeaked (such as ex-battery hens) sometimes their beaks grow back but it's quite rare. It depends how far back the beak was cut and how young the chick was at the time, I believe. They're usually debeaked at a day old Trimmed beaks will grow back just fine though.

It sounds like it'll be a 'wait and see' but is quite hopeful. Are beaks like rat's teeth and keep growing so they need to peck and scratch to keep them at a reasonable size?
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2011 4:52pm (Sep 22nd 2011) edited

I don't think her beak will grow back, not completely anyway. And whilst that's sad, you can help her out by feeding her from a deep food bowl (so she can sort of 'scoop' food into her mouth) or even better feed her mash...all you need to do is mix the layers pellets with some water and give it a little stir and it'll turn to mash; you can also heat it up in the winter, your girls will really appreciate that!
    She should manage fine with either of them and be able to lead a normal happy chicken life! :)
    • CommentTimeSep 25th, 2011 8:00am (Sep 25th 2011)

Oh, poor Button..I hate to see chickens debeaked like that.:face-sad:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 8:20am (Sep 27th 2011)

Thanks all, she is doing fine with a deep dish and suspended drinker and the nicest part is her favourite deep dish is my hand while sitting on my lap, and now when walk around the garden you'd think she was tied to my shoe lace as she totters along by my side, so maybe her little button nose was a blessing in disguise.
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 7:29pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Button sounds like such a dear little girl, Mac. All of my little Silkie chickens are spoiled like that, I'm so afraid I'm going to step on one of them while I'm walking around the backyard. We just built a new storage shed this weekend and they felt it was their duty to "help" with every stage of construction.
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 7:44pm (Sep 27th 2011)

It's a chicken's job to get in the way, every chicken owner knows that! ;)
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 7:58pm (Sep 27th 2011)

I'm learning that the hard way, or should I say hot way, having almost had a cup of coffee in my lap as Button jumped up for fuss and meal worms ....
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 8:08pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Hahaha! It reminds me of the time I had a friend over to stay and we were eating breakfast outside. Milly realised she hadn't properly introduced herself to my friend (okay, so she was really just interested in the cereal in the bowl...!) and flapped up onto my friend's lap...cereal went everywhere :rolling:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 8:30am (Sep 29th 2011)

• CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 8:53am (Sep 29th 2011)

Posted By: RedIt's a chicken's job to get in the way, every chicken owner knows that!

I am forever falling over my girls!!!!!!!!! they do seem to get right under your feet :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 7:47pm (Sep 29th 2011)

Posted By: BellmactomIt's times like those when you wish you have a camera permanently recording, what was ur friends reaction ?

She thought it was hilariously funny...she'd never been jumped by a chicken before :smile:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 8:00pm (Sep 29th 2011)

So many comments so little time lol
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 8:07pm (Sep 29th 2011)

Hehe I love it when hencam is nice and busy and there's lots to catch up on :tooth:
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 1:59am (Sep 30th 2011)

The last three hens I got had their beaks trimmed Mack. Two of them were not to bad and their beaks look normal now. But one of them 'Baby Blue' was very badly done and although it has grown back a bit I don't think it will get any better. It is a dreadful practice and I was so upset for them having to go through it.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 8:12am (Sep 30th 2011)

Buttons beak doesn't appear to be growing but then I don't know how slowly/quickly it would, it doesn't seem to bother her too much I just feel sorry for her when the others are scratching around but when she scratches she can rarely pick up what she finds. Baby Blue is a beautiful name....
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2011 5:16pm (Oct 6th 2011)

Thank you Mack, She is a real little bundle of mischief. I don't know how she thinks up so many antics !!! It has taken a good year or maybe more for her beak to improve, but hens are such cheerful resilient birds they soon find a way round things.