• CommentTimeOct 7th, 2011 1:28pm (Oct 7th 2011) edited

I took some update photos of the Fluffies after their bath today. So Bell look away now cos fluffy they aint..... they are of course my shell babies. It doesn't seem possible that they both fitted on a single slice of cucumber when I first had them back in April last year. and now they need a whole large cabbage leaf each. I think one is winking at you in the second picture
      after bath cabbage.jpg
      winking.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2011 1:34pm (Oct 7th 2011) edited

I am annoyed with myself that I didn't weigh them. I will next time. They are quite friendly and do not mind being handled, as long as you have wet hands.
      hello.jpg
      looking about.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2011 1:39pm (Oct 7th 2011) edited

looking about2.jpg
      smile for the camera.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2011 1:46pm (Oct 7th 2011)

They have a very varied diet. They love the flowers from the courgette plants and will eat all the flesh from the marrow end just leaving a cleaned out shell in next to no time. When they are fully extended from their shell they measure aprox; seven and a half inches long, but they didn't feel like doing that today.
    Oh I meant to say sorry the pictures are not that sharp but it was difficult taking them one handed.
      food.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2011 5:56pm (Oct 7th 2011)

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: nanny north</cite>I don't know who is Bill or Ben any more they are both the same size now. I know I will call Ben and see who turns and looks at me then the mystery will be solved.</blockquote>

Don't be silly, NN; you just call out a name and see which one rushes towards you...be ready to step to one side in case they knock you over though.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2011 6:21am (Oct 8th 2011)

They are sooo big now, NN. Didn't you ask them their names as you were holding them.:face-smile: They are kind of cute.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2011 11:12am (Oct 8th 2011)

Wow they are growing fast NN! They're almost as big as Sid now :) It's funny their shell shape is a lot different to his, but then again they'll be a lot bigger than he was by the time they're fully grown!
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2011 7:31pm (Oct 8th 2011)

They are so big now NN they are really lovely !!!! but i suppose they do have a very good keeper !!!!!!!!!!!

:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 7:38pm (Oct 9th 2011)

Oh thanks Lee, I do my best for them and find them fascinating and they are so easy to care for, and never answer back !!!!
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 10:52pm (Oct 9th 2011)

Seeing them on your hand gives a real perspective of size - they're huge!!! It is amazing how big they've grown. Do they continue to grow or is that their adult size now?
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:52pm (Oct 11th 2011)

They should keep growing for a while yet, all being well Kate. They slow down a lot during the winter even though they do have a heat pad. I think it is due to the shorter hours of natural light.
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2011 7:06pm (Oct 12th 2011)

They have got huge; you must be feeding them lots of scrummy stuff!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2011 11:24pm (Oct 12th 2011)

If only they could move faster I'm sure they'd take over the world! Look forward to seeing more photos in the spring.
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 9:28pm (Oct 13th 2011)

It is suprising just how quick they can move when they get a mind to Kate. They have eaten that huge chunk of marrow, three quarters of a cucumber four zuccini flowers, two tomatoes, half a large pear, quarter of a large cos lettuce and a bit of banana, and two large cabbage leaves in a week.
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 11:24pm (Oct 13th 2011)

Wow! They have a huge appetite! Are they stocking up for winter? I think my stray cats - short-leg-Tom and long-leg-Jim are eating for England at the moment. Tom in particular is having 3 huge meals from us every day!
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 7:18pm (Oct 14th 2011)

Cats know when they are on to a good thing and love a soft touch !!! I love their names.
    I don't know if you remember me talking about Ginny the ginger cat that used to come visiting. We haven't seen him for months now so I don't know if he had people and they all moved or has found a new home. No one I asked ever knew where he lived exactly, but they all said he visited them and they gave him a bit of food as well.
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2011 11:26pm (Oct 16th 2011)

Apparently there is a book or poem called something like Five Dinners Tom that is all about a cat visiting several homes and getting a meal at each one. I know Short-Leg-Tom does that, but am wondering if Long-Leg-Jim has found himself a home as his white bits are very white lately!

Tom is eating a bit less with us this weekend, but Jim is scoffing everything in sight. I actually got to stroke Jim several times yesterday - very proud!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 17th, 2011 8:31am (Oct 17th 2011)

Those guys are huge NN, how much bigger are they likely to get ? Would be interesting to know what they weigh
    • CommentTimeOct 17th, 2011 9:44am (Oct 17th 2011)

I think they're Tiger Snails, and they can reach lengths of 30cm. I used to have a Giant African Land Snail and he reached a shell length of about 6 inches. They're easy to take care of and make surprisingly good pets!
    • CommentTimeOct 17th, 2011 5:40pm (Oct 17th 2011)

There's a lovely cartoon book called FRED by Posy Simmonds (I think) about two children who are upset when their cat Fred dies, but are amazed to find his splendid funeral going on one night, with all the cats for miles around coming to pay their respects to the hero cat. One of his talents was getting food from several houses by posing as a homeless cat!
    • CommentTimeOct 17th, 2011 10:36pm (Oct 17th 2011)

That sounds like a nice story. Will have to have a look for it.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2011 7:56pm (Oct 19th 2011)

Oh I almost forgot to say that I did weight the fluffies when they had their bath this week One 138grams and the other is 132 grams.