CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 7:10pm (Oct 9th 2011)

Hi, all, still loving reading some the posts .

At the moment we've been experiencing unusually warm weather for the this time of year but it suddenly occurred to me "what if it becomes unusually cold again this year ?" can anyone recommend a good heater for a small hen house. I'd rather have one sitting in the tool shed doing nothing than realise one dark Sunday afternoon that I need one.

Also what do you experienced keepers do to avoid water freezing in the cold winter days ?

Sorry if the answers to these are obvious but I'm still very new and just want to be prepared.

Thanks, Mac
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 7:28pm (Oct 9th 2011) edited

I don't know about heaters Mack some one else might. Mine were ok last winter and that was pretty nasty here in the midlands. I just put some cardboard and then an old bit of carpet on top of the hen house to help keep the warmth in. I also gave them thicker litter, and used a bit of tarpaulin to pull down over the door to keep draughts out. Mine free range in the garden all the time so managed to cope with most of the snow. When it was up to my knee height I put lots of hay in our gazebo so they could stretch their legs in there.
    As to the water I bring the drinkers into the conservatory each night and then put them out in the morning with warm water in. Then check them through out the day refilling with warm water as they freeze up. It is a lot easier for me though Mack as I am home all the time.
    Do join in with any of the posts that way you will get to know us easily and vice versa. It is lovely to have you here with us.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 10:23pm (Oct 9th 2011)

Thanks NN, will use all of those ideas, I was thinking about buying one of those little gazebos for putting over children's paddling pools. I also considered putting a low wattage red light bulb in their house but don't want to extend their light hours in winter, I just think they should have a more natural life. I have read about heated drinkers, as none of us are here in the day very often, do you know of any ?

I will try to join in more discussions but sometimes it feels almost rude to jump in with a random comment as people seem to know each other on a more personal basis and it might feel a bit like joining someone's pub conversation
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 10:46pm (Oct 9th 2011)

I think we already consider you one of our drinking partners Mac! I suppose having so few regular posters it can seem a bit like that, but we love having new people jump in as it keeps the posts going and it's always great to get someone else's perspective on things! You jump right on in there!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 10:55pm (Oct 9th 2011)

Thanks Kate, will do my best, although always a little worried about jumping in with both feet only to find you've put one foot in your mouth mid air lol.

I've been trying to add my location to the google app but it doesn't seem to be working, i've tried on a number of pc's and my iPad, any ideas ?
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 11:02pm (Oct 9th 2011)

I know what you mean, but we're all pretty easy going and all seem to have a good sense of humour so don't worry!

I've just tried the map and all I get is a grey square when I try the Add a Location link. Maybe there's something wrong - we'll have to get Neil to have a look.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 11:19pm (Oct 9th 2011)

That's all I get too, I can look up other people's location but can't add one :-(
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 12:14am (Oct 10th 2011)

Mac, I just got done insulating my Silkie chicken's Winter barn, for the cold weather that we will surly be getting here soon.
    ( Washington state, USA.)I have red heat lamp bulbs (75 watts) that I put in each of the pens, that are really for reptiles, but work well for heat for the chickens, as red lights don't bother them like standard light bulbs do. It keeps the water from freezing up in the night. I don't use them 24/7, just when it's REALLY cold.
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 7:57am (Oct 10th 2011)

My Hens have been fine the last two winters Mac I do what NN does just put some covers over the coop at night just to keep in a bit of heat over night chickens do adapt very well to the cold weather in the 6 years i have kept them i have never had a problem,just keeping the water from freezing is harder the warm water idea seems to work well.

:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 11:55am (Oct 10th 2011)

Hey Mac, great to see you posting again :bigsmile:

We've had chickens for 8 years and live 'Oop North' (in Yorkshire) so it does get cold and very snowy where we are! But we've never had to use a heater or had any problems with our chickens and the cold.

Chickens can survive very cold weather because they are essentially wearing their own feather duvets! They will hunker down on their perches to cover their toes with their feathers, to protect from frost bite. If it gets really exceptionally cold where you live you might need to put Vaseline on any of your girls that have large combs, it also protects from frost bite.

Aside from that, closing any hatches to stop cold wind entering, and blocking any drafts that aren't supposed to be there will obviously help. Adding any extra insulation to the sleeping area will help too.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 6:29pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Thanks all for your replies, you've helped put my mind at rest. If needed i'll draught proof and cover the roof but at least now I can cancel the cavity wall insulation, double glazing and British gas :face-smile:

Hopefully on one of my posts soon i'll be able to report our first egg, Polly has started squatting like she's going to the loo.......
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 7:53pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Posted By: BellmactomPolly has started squatting like she's going to the loo.......

Mac she probably is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 7:54pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Mine's a pint, Mac...:face-smile:
    I put a plastic gel heat-pad in with my hens overnight last year, under a board. worked well - you get them on Amazon.
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 7:56pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Nice idea CC you have excelled yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 2:22pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Mac they may not lay until next winter now what with the shorter days...
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 7:13pm (Oct 11th 2011) edited

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It wasn't constipation :face-smile: :face-smile:

I think it was probably Polly as she looks more matured than the others, it's rather small but a start
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 8:54pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Aha that's awesome - I think she did that to prove me wrong!! ;) It's beautiful :smile:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 9:22pm (Oct 11th 2011)

I have to admit the first thing I did was check it very closely to see if it had a use by date printed anywhere, not that Tomas would the kind of person to wind his dad up..... It hadn't got one and sooo much smaller than our bought ones.

I won't expect many more this year, but I guess you will know all too well there is something really special about he first egg, also confirms i'm giving them what they need :-)
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 9:44pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Congrats on the egg, Mac...AWESOME!! The eggs will increase in size slowly over the next few weeks..way to go Polly!!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:17pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Thanks LW, Polly is my "posh" bird, I can just imagine her denying all knowledge of it because " one wouldn't do that kind of thing in public " lol

It wil be nice if they increase in size but more than anything i'm hoping she starts some competition and the others follow suit, Bustle definitely won't like being beaten to anything but Button will probably sit around for weeks waiting for someone to do it for her ...
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:18pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Fantastic news about the first egg Mac, it is aways special to get the first one. My hens do lay through out the year they just slow down a bit so you may still be getting some........:face-smile: so keep checking.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:21pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Ha ha they are funny little birds. I got a little speckldy hen and she is so embarrassed because she is moulting and has no tail at the moment. I keep telling here she will be so beautiful in a week or two but she still tries to hide her little body in the shrubs Bless her.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:29pm (Oct 11th 2011)

NN, our little rooster, who is with the big hens out back, is moulting now too..he is hiding in the back of the coop in a dark corner, because his pretty tail feathers have all fallen out. Poor little guy, the girls don't seem to be paying ANY attention to him now at all.
    It's sad to see a depressed little rooster.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:33pm (Oct 11th 2011)

It must be a trait, Polly is a Speckledy too :-) she even walks posh, compared to the others it's like the hen version of dressage :-)

NN will keep checking, what was really nice about the first one was there was nothing this morning when I let them out so it was actually Tomas ( my 15yr old son ) who found it when he came home from school, it was nice to see a teenager all excited about an egg.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:35pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Oh Bless him it must be worse for a rooster as they are just so proud of their smart tail feathers. When I checked them in last night I had a little look at her and she is just like a little porcupine under a few sparse feathers with all her new quills sprouting.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:42pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Oh that is so nice Mac, he does sound like a lovely lad and how nice that he goes out to see the hens as soon as he gets home. I remember Tim my youngest boy getting to collect the eggs he was so excited cos there was two the clapped his hands and broke them both. He was only three and my word did he cry. He will be 40 next year and is comming out of the army next Thursday after serving 23 years. Don't seem possible how the years have flown by.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 11:02pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Wow, 23yrs in a career like the army, I bet you can't wait to have him back in civvies, also bet he would be glad it's not his fellow squaddies about his egg picking days ....

We are lucky with Tom, he's generally a really good lad, he has the occasional day where he reminds us he really is a teenager but they aren't too often. He doesn't want to eat the egg, he thinks we should find a way to date and preserve the first one.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 11:13pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Yes Mac it will be good not to have to worry with him away at war any more. He has done more than his share and has had several near misses.
    They have a little girl Aurelia aged three who you will hear me talking about a lot !!! and in March are due another baby which is exciting.
    I have been up the hospital with his wife Becky this afternoon for one of her check ups.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 11:22pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Oh I forgot to say about the first egg, it always takes a big discussion as to how to do it justice and share it round the whole family. Sometimes they tend to lay double yolkers when they are getting into the swing of laying we all used to take turns having one !!!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 11:40pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Tim has definitely done more than his fair share, i've seen some sights, I was a paramedic for 13yrs but no matter what I dealt with I could be 99.9% sure I was going home, I couldn't have done his job for any reward, yet alone the relative pittance our soldiers get !

As for the first egg, Tom is in for a nice surprise, he usually has cereal for breakfast but tomorrow he's having "dippy egg" or soft boiled egg to the rest of us, never boiled a double yoker, could be interesting if it is....

And Congrats to you (and Tim & Becky) on the soon to be grand child. Aurelia is an amazing name, is it pronounced "oreelia " ?
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 11:55pm (Oct 11th 2011)

I love the way you've nailed their characters already Mac!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2011 8:13am (Oct 12th 2011)

I've been amazed at just how different they really are, it's great putting something new in the garden for them and watching how they each react.
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2011 7:03pm (Oct 12th 2011)

Happy egg, Mac! And many more of 'em!:face-smile:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 6:59pm (Oct 13th 2011)

:milly_hen:Thanks CC, We're up to 3 now
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 7:08pm (Oct 13th 2011)

Hooo, d'you feel an omelette coming on? :rolling:
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 9:19pm (Oct 13th 2011)

OOOOOH Yummy I do love a dippy in egg. Yes that's what we call them as well !!! You should start getting them on a regular basis now. Bless them. Mine are just slowing down as they are moulting, Bless them they still lay enough to keep us going though.

Thanks for the congratulations Mac. We have another baby due any time now. It will be the oldest sons first child they are having a little girl. I have just finished crocheting a large lacy shawl for them. I will post pictures of the things I have made the baby in the crafts thread when I get a moment.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 12:28am (Oct 14th 2011)

CC the three of them together would barely make an omelette sandwich yet but they're working on it, either that or my girls are still doing nothing and a sparrow has chosen to lay in their house.....

It would be nice to keep getting eggs NN i guess like everyone else they're really just a bonus to the fun of keeping them now, I'll look out for the pics, though you'd never catch me crocheting, not because it's not manly but because I wouldn't have the skill or the patience.