• CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:12pm (Oct 9th 2011) edited

Last Sunday Grandad North and I went to the Lancaster memorial open day at Conningsby. It was a cracking day out and the weather was perfect for flying. I have a new camera so it was the ideal opportunity to test it out. First up pictures are of the Lancaster...Phantom of the Rhur
      phantom of the Rhur.jpg
      Lancaster.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:16pm (Oct 9th 2011) edited

Here she is flying.... a magnificent sight that brings a lump to your throat, and a tear to your eye thinking of all the brave young men who flew them during the war
      over the trees.jpg
      rear of lanc.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:20pm (Oct 9th 2011)

The BBC were there filming and interviewing the remaining few lanc: veterans, along with Ewan and Colin Mcgregor who were lucky enough to have a flight in the Lanc.
      Euan and Colin Mcgregor.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:21pm (Oct 9th 2011) edited

Of course there were elegant spitfires
      bbmf spitfire.jpg
      spitfire mk356.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:24pm (Oct 9th 2011) edited

Superb flying displays as always
      flying.jpg
      memorial flight.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:25pm (Oct 9th 2011) edited

Here is the Dakota and lastly the hurricane.
      Dakota.jpg
      hurrican.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2011 9:59pm (Oct 9th 2011)

Your pictures are fabulous as ever NN! I admit I always get a lump in my throat when I see planes like that - they are wonderful. Looks like you had a lovely day out!
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 9:56am (Oct 10th 2011)

I can remember flying in a Dakota from Yeadon (Leeds/Bradford) to The Isle of Man with our new first baby in 1956. We were going to the TT races. (Geoff Duke and Co.,)
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 2:57pm (Oct 10th 2011)

I have the radio receiver from a Lancaster.
    The transmitters are harder to come by.
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 5:16pm (Oct 10th 2011)

NN i have missed your photos this looks to have been a great show i would have loved it keep them coming NN
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 6:11pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Beautiful pictures, NN. I love looking at the old WWII planes, they have such wonderful designs.
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 7:56pm (Oct 10th 2011)

I've got the 'ejector seat' sign from a WW2 bomber. A Spit, I think, although I'm not sure.
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 7:58pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Really CC ???? :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 8:02pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Yep. it says 'ABANDON AIRCRAFT' on it. I was going to put it by the loo, but it's obviously designed to have a lamp behind it, so I've put it against a window.
    • CommentTimeOct 10th, 2011 8:09pm (Oct 10th 2011)

Nice one CC that is so nice to have I love the old stuff especially the 1960,s !!!!!!!! :bow_flowers:
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 4:13pm (Oct 11th 2011)

'Scuse me, I was born in 1961 and I am very very youthful... :rolling::crazy:
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:04pm (Oct 11th 2011)

I guess I have to lay claim to the title of "old stuff" then, CC.. since I can remember when ya'll had a King and Elizabeth was just a Princess.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 11th, 2011 10:30pm (Oct 11th 2011)

Glad you enjoyed the pictures it was hard to choose which ones to post as I got loads and loads of real good ones.
    It certainly got the memories going for Ollie so that really made my day.
    I got some pictures from when we went spotting the jets there two weeks ago, I can post as well. Lets see if any one has any "spares" from them :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2011 12:01am (Oct 12th 2011)

The first time I went to the Isle of Man we also flew Ollie, though not in a Dakota obviously! Funny thing was it was 50 years after you - July 2006 for the Southern 100 races!
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 8:45pm (Oct 13th 2011)

Here are some of the pictures as promised from when I went spotting with Grandad North at RAF Connisby. First up is a King Air. It was taking off when we arrived and then came back about a couple of hours later. I don't know where it went though.
      KING AIR.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 8:48pm (Oct 13th 2011)

Here is a tornado taxi-ing down to take off. The pilots are right friendly and all wave or raise their air brake in a salute.
      TORNADO.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 8:52pm (Oct 13th 2011) edited

The next two are of it taking off. I am sorry I have to reduce the pictures down as a lot of the detail is lost for you. I don't know if you can make out the exhaust flames
      Tornado away.jpg
      tornado take off.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 8:57pm (Oct 13th 2011)

Next we have the Typhoon. The pilots are all parctising and preparing themselves for Afhganistan. See the big Bomb underneath ? They usually fire them at targets at Donna Nook in the sea.
      Typhoon.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 9:01pm (Oct 13th 2011) edited

Typhoon taking off in the the second picture you can make out the wheels retracting.
      Typhoon away.jpg
      typhoon wheels folding.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 9:03pm (Oct 13th 2011) edited

Typhoon up in the blue bit !!!
      typhooh in the blue.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 13th, 2011 11:27pm (Oct 13th 2011)

They send a shiver down my spine NN! I love to see planes like that but it's so rare around here. Best we get is a hovering air ambulance near the office block at work!
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 6:55am (Oct 14th 2011)

Great pictures, NN! I need to get a new camera..mine just doesn't take good pictures..the shutter speed to WAY too slow.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 7:23am (Oct 14th 2011)

Thank you NN its lovely to see pictures like this :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 5:48pm (Oct 14th 2011)

You did get a good look round, didn't you? Lovely pics as per usual!
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2011 7:08pm (Oct 14th 2011)

Grandad North loves going plane spotting and meeting up with all the old cronies up there !!!! He won't go unless I am with him though as he says it isn't fair leaving me at home alone on his day off. It does get a bit tedious though and I don't always take pictures just now and then to please him. I don't mind but I tend to ache sitting in the car for ages and don't care to get out and put up with the old boys trying to be clever and testing out their chat up lines !!! That does my nut in for sure !!! I do take my knitting if I have something on the go though.
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2011 11:31pm (Oct 16th 2011)

My hubby always wants company when he's going somewhere too. I'd rather stay at home and enjoy the peace and quiet!!