• CommentTimeNov 4th, 2011 11:02pm (Nov 4th 2011)

I had to take Foggy to the vet yesterday. She had some funny turns a few weeks ago which I put down to mini-strokes, but this was worse. She hadn't got full control of her back legs and her head kept wavering around as if she was drunk or drugged.

Vet said it's definitely neurological (gave her a very thorough examination). She's got to have blood tests on Monday which he's sending away for analysis to get a fuller picture. There's a possibility it could be something with her kidneys/liver/diabetes/etc. but I think he's just excluding what he can to see what he's left with. He questioned me about whether she'd had any fits. I think he is thinking its a brain lesion/tumour or stroke. She's slightly better today, but still unsteady on her back legs.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2011 7:42pm (Nov 5th 2011)

Bless her. Thinking of you both, Kate. :heart:
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2011 9:10pm (Nov 5th 2011)

Sorry to hear that Kate. I hope the tests find out what it is and that it can be easily managed.
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2011 10:01am (Nov 6th 2011)

Thinking of you and Foggy Kate an sends lots of positive vibes.
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2011 1:32pm (Nov 6th 2011)

My thoughts are with you Kate :heart:
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2011 6:05pm (Nov 6th 2011)

Kate, I hope Foggy gets better very soon..sending positive thoughts and hugs your way.:bighug:
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2011 11:42pm (Nov 6th 2011)

Thanks everyone. She is a lot better today, just a very slight wobble when she first stands up. I'm glad the vet got to see her how she really is, but it makes a diagnosis even harder. Will wait and see what the blood results say when they get back from the lab in the week.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2011 12:53pm (Nov 7th 2011)

Kate, I hope Foggy continues to improve in health.
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2011 11:45pm (Nov 7th 2011)

• CommentTimeNov 8th, 2011 7:28pm (Nov 8th 2011)

Posted By: KatebAlmost back to normal today, except a little bit stroppier. That's probably because I took her the vet for them to take a blood sample. She was not amused!

I'm glad she is better, Kate...so did she bite you to show her displeasure?:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2011 7:28pm (Nov 8th 2011)

Good news! Hope the results are all right. Sounds as though it was just a blip, doesn't it?
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2011 10:01pm (Nov 8th 2011)

No Lynn, but she has a vicious stare when she wants!!

Results came back today - one of the kidney levels was out of norm, but on its own isn't anything significant and probably just shows a bit of dehydration. One of the liver levels was also high, and the vet said even though it was just one it is a little bit more of a concern. She checked that I'd starved her before the test as she would expect that result to spike if she'd eaten, but as far as I know she had nothing. I did point out that her digestion is slow and she's frequently constipated. She said the only way to know for sure is to starve her again, take her in to the surgery, take blood, feed her, take blood 2 hours later and see what the results are like. I'm not keen on that after having spent £85 on these tests!

I asked what the treatment was if it was a high result again, and she said a change of diet. She's going to speak to the vet that requested the tests and see what he thinks. Doesn't really explain the funny turn still though.
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2011 10:18pm (Nov 8th 2011)

I remember when my pedigree cats became rather senile, the vet put them on a diet of this special dried food that I bought from him
    I have wondered since if I was conn'ed or not...

They have all the power!!
    Just like the quacks that "care" for us humans.

Now, as an ex NHS person, I wonder if I have had a litle too much of the potion tonight?

:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2011 10:36pm (Nov 8th 2011)

I wonder how long you have to be an NHS employee for before you become cynical? I reckon about 3 weeks!

I don't have insurance for my cats, but a friend pointed out that the excess is usually £90, and blood tests come in just under that. What a coincidence!!!
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2011 10:41pm (Nov 8th 2011)

Well, even though the vet hasn't discovered what's wrong with Foggy, at least she is improving and the vet has ruled out some serious conditions.

Same with us regarding the insurance Kate; we discovered you have to spend over £60 - £70 on a vet visit for them to consider covering it...we've only ever paid over £60 once!
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2011 11:35pm (Nov 9th 2011)

The vet that saw Foggy last week called me today after speaking to the other vet. He reassured me that neither of the readings means anything on its own, and neither were high enough to warrant any further investigation, which is good news for my purse!

He said it doesn't help with knowing what's causing the 'turns', but I said at least I know there's nothing else wrong with her physically. If I come home one day and she's gone then I will know I did everything I could and it was her time. If I hadn't had the blood tests I'd always be wondering if it was something I could've helped her with. So, we just carry on as normal, and if she has another episode he's happy to see her if I want him to. So sort of good news, depending on how long it is until she has another 'turn'.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2011 6:10pm (Nov 10th 2011)

:cheer::thumbup1::swingin::clap::crazy::yay_jump::woohoo:
    Excellent news! :heart:
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2011 11:14pm (Nov 10th 2011)

Thanks CC, I was pleased too. Good to see her back to normal!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 3:58pm (Nov 11th 2011)

Glad you had the tests done Kate to put your mind at rest, would do the same here with Thomas. They can be such a worry to us but oh what a joy too!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2011 11:53pm (Nov 11th 2011)

Actually TM, Thomas is my inspiration! I figure if he can keep on fighting after everything he's been through then I'm sure Foggy will too. I sometimes find myself wondering if I should get another kitty from the rehoming centre, but this has reminded me that she would be very unhappy about that and she is a big priority for me. I don't want to give her any undue stress.
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2011 7:52am (Nov 12th 2011)

I understand Kate, we would love more pussy cats but it wou;d be too stressful for Thomas as he is definitely a 'one cat family' cat. I must scan the newspapper article about him and put it on here.
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2011 7:48pm (Nov 12th 2011)

Posted By: Trevs Mum I must scan the newspapper article about him and put it on here.

Yes, Julie please do..I've been waiting to see it.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 12th, 2011 10:54pm (Nov 12th 2011)

We deffo need to see the article TM :bigsmile: