• CommentTimeNov 22nd, 2011 8:32pm (Nov 22nd 2011)

Aaaaah!

I really wanted there to be an easy answer to this but there doesn't seem to be :(

Kasper has big lugs / tangles behind or under his ears, in the fur there. I know exactly what they're from, the stupid annoying seed balls from Sticky Grass. Agh! We used to have to pick them out of Kasper's fur all over his body after every walk and sometimes he'd be covered in them...I guess we missed a few behind his ears and they've just developed into tangles.

Some are thick and fluffy, whereas others are thin and hard like dreadlocks.

Please, anybody with dogs or cats, do you have any ideas on how to get rid of them?!

I'm wary of trimming with scissors, even blunt ended baby scissors, because Kasper wouldn't sit still...but the only other option is the groomers and Kasper has been doing SO well with strangers lately (as I type we have a male friend with us that Kasper was terrified of a few weeks ago, and now the dog loves him!) that we don't want a groomer struggling to keep him still and to put scary scissors and trimmers near his head as it could really push our work back, like Mr Upstairs did.

And they're just growing more and bigger...
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd, 2011 11:22pm (Nov 22nd 2011)

There is no easy way! When my cat gets them I have to sit astride her so that she's pinned between my legs and put the comb behind the knot (so that they are against the teeth of a narrow metal toothed comb) then cut against the front of the comb to ensure that I don't get her skin. It sometimes leaves a little bit but that can usually be teased or combed out. It is a case of only doing one or two at a time, and I have to get up the nerve to attempt it!

Other than that you need to find a groomer that is experienced and sympathetic to nervous dogs. From what friends have said there aren't many of them around!
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd, 2011 2:46am (Nov 23rd 2011)

I always just cut them out, Red. I never found an easier way to do it. That is one of the reasons I went to short haired dogs after my long haired dogs passed away. :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd, 2011 11:49am (Nov 23rd 2011) edited

Oh...poo :face-plain:

*sigh*

Any advice on what we should try?!?

Obviously pinning Kasper down is not an option; it would break him. Do we start counter-conditioning him to accept us fiddling with his ears and holding scissors near them? That will take a couple of months though...

And I think we have to rule the groomer's out because I am NOT having him go back to how he was after Mr Upstairs again...so annoying that his old owner said he was fine with strangers, and clippers, and hairdryers, and all the rest...

It's not even that his fur's that long, the only place it's long is the ears which are very Spaniel-like. I did give him a haircut last year using ordinary scissors and he did alright with that, but that wasn't near his head / ears!! And whenever he did start getting antsy and reacting, I stopped immediately.

I'm so gutted right now >__<
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd, 2011 4:53pm (Nov 23rd 2011)

Try a little hair conditioner on your fingertips and work it into the knot, Red. Then try teasing it out with a comb.
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd, 2011 10:41pm (Nov 23rd 2011)

You know your dog really well, so I am sure you can judge how much he can take of you messing with his ears. I would suggest using very sharp scissors (but obviously be really careful!) as if they're a bit blunt it will be a much harder job to cut through them and can pull a little too.
    • CommentAuthorRonald
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2011 5:04am (Nov 24th 2011)

Here’s a suggestion that may help make dealing with those mats of hair and is safe to use on Kasper. In an effort to make it easier to comb out, pour some Powdered Corn Starch onto the mat (careful not to get it in his ear) and using your fingers, work it into the fur while trying to separate the mass of clumped hair. Once you have worked it in well and loosened up the hair, use a wide-toothed comb to de-tangle the rest of it.
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2011 5:15pm (Nov 24th 2011)

HOORaY! Ronald's back!! We thought we'd lost you!! What's corn starch?
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2011 7:16pm (Nov 24th 2011)

We call it cornflour CC
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2011 11:28pm (Nov 24th 2011)

Welcome back Ron! I've never heard that tip before - if you try it Red let us know how it goes.
    • CommentTimeNov 25th, 2011 1:33pm (Nov 25th 2011)

Thanks Ron and CC, we will try that at the new place.

We've also got in touch with a few groomer's around here, explained how we need them to behave and asked lots of questions...just waiting to hear back from them! We'll vet them thoroughly and if they sound trustworthy we will give that a try!
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2011 6:03pm (Dec 20th 2011) edited

Just to update, one night when Kasper was absolutely shattered after a busy day and two walks, and sat on my lap in front of the fire, I tried snipping some tangles off with some nail scissors. Kasp surprised us all by just sitting there really still, and (passing him treats every now and then) I removed all his tangles within about 10 minutes :smile:

So problem sorted!

One of the tangles was MASSIVE! Lyle held it above his lip and it was too big to be a moustache :rolling:
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2011 11:08pm (Dec 20th 2011)

• CommentTimeDec 21st, 2011 8:03pm (Dec 21st 2011)

Posted By: KatebAll that angst and he just sat there ... typical! Glad he's sorted now. Next thing will be snow in his belly fur!

Haha, I know he's full of surprises! :laugh:

Snow's okay, it just melts...I'll be glad when it gets here eventually, I'm sick of dressing up for winter only to end up boiling hot on a walk! I was walking around in my trackies and just a t-shirt today with two jumpers and a coat wrapped around my waist :rolling: