• CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2011 11:50am (Dec 2nd 2011)

One of my chickens (app. 2 yrs old) can barely walk. She was perfectly fine, until 2 days ago when all of a sudden she was limping very badly. She can't really put any weight on the leg. She can move the leg. It doesn't seem to be swollen anywhere and I can't find anything really wrong. I prescribed absolute bed rest for 2 days, which she seemed to enjoy, but it hasn't really improved matters very much. She is still eating, drinking and digesting and appears to be quite happy in herself in any other respect. I am hoping that it is only sprained or dislocated. Is there anybody in South Cheshire, who has more experience than me and could take a look?
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2011 5:09pm (Dec 2nd 2011)

Have you looked up 'bumblefoot' in the search facility on this forum? I'm afraid I know very little about chicken maintenance - I just feed 'em, and take 'em to the vet when they're ill. Our local vet turned out to have a vet whose special interest was chickens - worth asking! Hope she's better soon.
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2011 10:06pm (Dec 2nd 2011)

One of my girls had a limp which was completely out the odernary and within a week she was fine i guess she must have twisted it in some way just like we do :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd, 2011 11:16pm (Dec 3rd 2011)

Thanks for your comments. I am still thinking she might have dislocated something. I just wished that someone could twiddle with it and put it right again.
    Meanwhile, she is still having strict bed rest and has now become our new Nativity Set 'Little Baby Stew in the Manger' and yes, she's called Chicken Stew! Her sisters have the equally suited names: Chicken Tikka and Chicken Nuggets.
    I was trying to attach a picture of our Nativity Set, featuring Stew, but apparently the file is 9kb to big. I'll have to figure out how to shrink it tomorrow. Way too late now.
    :face-angel::face-angel:
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2011 12:05am (Dec 4th 2011)

:welcome:Welcome to the forum CheshireChicken,
    Where are you?

I'm just a little way down the road from Hencam HQ, though I haven't managed to get there yet!
    I don't have chickens, I just enjoy the company on here!

There's GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY at the top of each page. You can see where some of us live. You may like to put your pin on there too.
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2011 2:04am (Dec 4th 2011)

Welcome to the forum CheshireChicken!:welcome:

I'd look very close at the bottom of her foot to see if it could be bumblefoot, that is usually the problem when mine start limping around.
    They do get hurt sometimes jumping off the perch, if that's it she may be alright in a few days. I do hope she will get better soon.
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2011 9:11pm (Dec 4th 2011)

Welcome to the forum Cheshire Chicken! Love your hens names - it's good to hear something different from the norm!! :face-smile:

I'm sure your computer will have some sort of photo software on it, and there's usually an option to reduce the file size. Otherwise, maybe try the internet. We love seeing pictures!

I hope Stew gets better soon. Anything different from the 'norm' seems to be a real problem to a vet, but if she doesn't improve after a few days maybe it'd be worth getting their opinion? Good luck!
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeDec 6th, 2011 7:24am (Dec 6th 2011)

Oh by the way, CheshireChicken..I named one of my baby silkie roosters "Stewy"..I told him if he didn't behave himself he was going to be stew..it didn't faze him in the least however, he's still a brat.:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2011 8:44am (Dec 13th 2011)

Hi, been a bit busy the last few days with childrens' dance rehearsals/panto, etc.
    Stew is still indoors. I gave her another close examinations and found that her leg is broken. Unfortunately, it is not a clean break, but the 'knee' joint. The wound has nicely scabbed over and healed but the leg is still useless. Over the last 2 days she has been a little more restless and insisted on standing more. So, yesterday she spent the afternoon in the garden with the girls, as the weather was nice. She needs to get used again to outdoor conditions, since she will eventually move back out and her 'sisters' need the occasional reminders that she's still around. They were not interested at all! Only her adoptive son Lucky Luke took notice and started to have a go at her, at which point he and I had some serious words. He is basically a loudmouthed coward, so laid off after the stern talking to.
    Stew will never walk properly again, or be able to perch, but if she's without pain and can use the leg for balance, she should be fine. The biggest problem will be to convince her to move back outdoors. Why would she want to? It's warm, plenty of entertainment and company and best of all, she gets fed treats all day long. Chicken Heaven!
    She appears to be very happy in the lounge - always chirping quietly and even 'purring'.
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2011 1:54pm (Dec 13th 2011)

I have finally sat down and worked out, how to upload a picture. So, here is the center piece of our Nativity Scene: Stew in the manger.:face-smile:
      stew.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2011 9:38pm (Dec 13th 2011)

Aw..., That's so sweet!
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2011 11:10pm (Dec 13th 2011)

Oh, poor Stew! I don't know anything about chickens - will the leg heal enough to be useable, even if only as a crutch? I'm so glad you're giving her a chance and if she doesn't seem to be in pain then it all looks good doesn't it! Fingers crossed and lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery - though if I were her I'd be playing on it as long as I could so's I could stay indoors!!! People have indoor rabbits so why not an indoor hen?!
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2011 8:38am (Dec 14th 2011)

I am hopeful that once the break has healed Stew will be able to hop around, using the bad leg as a crutch (certainly no more than that). I have no experience with broken limbs, neither the chicken, nor the human kind, although my eldest daughter is currently nursing a broken toe, but that is not quite in the same league.
    Stew has definitely taken to the indoor lifestyle and won't be easily persuaded to move outdoors again. The cats are extremely jealous of Stew:cat::cat:, as they have to life in the rear porch (my husband's allergy)and can see her through the window. Should I take my husband to the vet to have him put out of his misery and then we can all stay in the lounge in winter? Mmmmhhhh.........
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2011 7:32pm (Dec 14th 2011)

Is your daughter in a basket under the tree too...? :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2011 11:29pm (Dec 14th 2011)

In my experience, the pets are much better for your stress levels than any hubby could ever be, so go see what the vet can do for you! :face-devil-grin: (Hope my hubby doesn't see that or I'll be the one in the cat kennel!)
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 7:24am (Dec 15th 2011)

If we could substitute the basket with big cardboard boxes, I'm sure I'd find my daughters under the tree (as long as none of their friends are looking}. They would normally consider themselves to be too old and sophisticated (ha!!) to be doing something so silly. Fortunately, regression into early childhood comes easy to the females of this family.
    Stew was looking very smug this morning, as I was scurrying outside in the pitch black and rain to let her sisters out and give them breakfast. I am sure there was a sarcastic undertone to her purring, when I came back inside.
    Off to drive eldest daughter to early morning rehearsal for panto matinee today. Just for once she doesn't mind getting up so bloody early, since this means a day off school. Unfortunately, I have to stay and chaperon 20 exited girls, uuuuuaaaaahhhhh!:juggle:
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 5:29pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Whip, chair and cattleprod is all you need, Cheshire Chicken!:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 8:11pm (Dec 15th 2011)

I survived!!!! But only just - came close to major nervous breakdown. Lots of very quick costume changes, resulting in great show, but utter chaos backstage. Was ready to collapse, but had to soldier on: fed monsters, collected eggs, changed Stew's bedding, tried to find a floor in younger daughter's room (still not entirely sure it exists),retrieved martial arts gi from tumble dryer (after being told that it is definitely not in there), used the cattleprod again to get them both out of the house to martial arts practice, fetched younger one home, raced through house to empty bins (bin day tomorrow), played with cats, stroked Stew, locked up the other girls (chickens, just in case you were worrying), going out again in a few minutes to fetch the older one home, will collapse on sofa at nine and climb into a wine bottle.
    What did hubby do? Played with computer (calling it work), went to get diesel. He is tired now!!!
    :running_dog::turkeydance:
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 11:47pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Wow, that was a very busy day! Me and my colleague did a presentation to a load of GP practice managers this morning (you think the doctor's receptionist is scary - you should meet the managers!) but they enjoyed it so a gold star there. This afternoon was spent sweet talking the IT guy so that he'd upgrade our team laptop, secretly nosing at our office on the ground floor as we're being moved down there between Christmas and New Year, getting a day's work done in half a day, then home to the grandkids and chaos!! (Chippy tea too!)

My son baths the kids and I dry them off. Shaun is always first out, and loves to do "this little piggy ..." several times. He discovered if he poked the end of his toe it went white, then back to pink. It amused him for several minutes! Then I sat around watching TV before eating a grab bag of wotsits and heading upstairs to the computer. A good day all round for me!
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2011 4:45am (Dec 16th 2011)

Ya'll are making me tired, just reading about your day.:face-smile:

I had to go grocery shopping (I'd rather get poked in the eye with a sharp stick, than go shopping:face-sad: )
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2011 11:55pm (Dec 16th 2011)

Me too Lynn, hence we do ours on-line and have it delivered!
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 11:25am (Dec 29th 2011)

Hi,

Been very busy over the last week.
    Don't know what to do with Stew. She's still indoors. I've been taken her out of the basket a lot in order to force her to exercise, but she's not playing along. All she does is stand around and look uncomfortable. At most she does a couple of very wobbly hops and falls over and then she just stands around a little more and falls asleep.
    I don't she will ever be fit to go outside again. She is not capable of looking after herself. She won't even be able to get into the coop on her own. She can't live in the lounge forever. I think that we have no choice, but to end it soon. It is such a shame, as she is otherwise absolutely fine. Any suggestions?:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 11:35am (Dec 29th 2011)

No no no, you can't wring her neck!!!
    She'll have to have a little convalescent home tucked away in some warm corner.
    I'm sure you'll find something! :fingerscrossed:
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 2:55pm (Dec 29th 2011)

Everybody needs a house chicken!! Anyway, chicken in a basket is very common.. pleeeeeease take her to a vet to see what they say first.
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 6:37pm (Dec 29th 2011)

Well, I would like to hear a vet's comments, but I cannot justify £30 for a basic consultation on a chicken. I could buy a whole flock for that. If it was only down to me, I would be happy to live with a house chicken, until the end of her days, but (yet again) it is my hubby, who is starting to complain majorly now. In all fairness, he does have a feather allergy, so after a while in the lounge his nose gets all bunged up and sneezy. So eventually I will have to make a choice: Chicken or Husband? - difficult one!
    :face-angel:
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 9:28pm (Dec 29th 2011) edited

I think you need a professional opinion on the injury - it may well be easily treatable with a splint or cast.

I'm sorry, but if you can't spare 30 quid for the welfare of your chicken then I don't think you should be keeping them in the first place.

Some people seem to think "it's just a chicken"... words fail me. :-(
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 10:25pm (Dec 29th 2011) edited

A chicken is an animal just like any other...and as an owner there's a responsibility to try help it as best as possible. Chickens aren't stupid; they feel pain, fear, and joy. They have the comparable intelligence of a 3 year old child, in how they understand hidden objects and puzzles.

A vet really is the next point of call. S/he would be able to tell you whether euthanasia was the kindest option, or whether a full recovery can be expected.
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2011 12:24am (Dec 30th 2011)

Keep the chicken, ditch the husband. Chickens complain a lot less!

My friend had a hen that did the same sort of thing (turned out she was broody though, didn't have a broken leg). She sat around for about 4 weeks I think it was, fell over if she stood up, refused to even try to walk, then all of a sudden she got up and had a bit of a toddle around, and within a week was back to normal. I know that's not the same for Stew but surely £30 isn't that much to spare to get a definitive diagnosis and advice? Who's to say the info you get from the vet won't be of use in the future for another hen? Make sure the vet has some experience of chickens though - it is a lot to spend for the vet to say "sorry, I've never treated a chicken before", but money well spent to give your lovely girl (who looks to you for love and protection) a chance.
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2011 6:59pm (Dec 30th 2011)

Posted By: KatebKeep the chicken, ditch the husband. Chickens complain a lot less!

:rolling: