CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 7:04pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Hi everyone, I've not been around for what feels ages but things have been manic, my wife has opened a shop and in a week we took it from a shell to a fully fitted, functioning business.

But anyway, my question is Polly has gone broody and has been for the last 2 weeks, we don't have any intention of having chicks so what is the best thing to do ? I've read all sorts of things on the net ranging from dunking her behind in cold water ( not happening) to lock her in shed, again not happening.

Should I just leave her snap out of it or put an egg under her or ??????

All advice appreciated :-)
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 7:26pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Hi there Mac, nice to see you again. My word I thought I had been busy but I think it is you and Bell who have been the busiest !! Good luck in your new venture.

I have tried to break hens from being broody in the past and it is heart breaking to do as they get so fretfull and so will you in the end just trying it. I just leave mine to get on with it now, but do take any pot eggs away and check under them as they tend to scoop any eggs the others lay underneath themselves to try and hatch. I make sure they come off the nest a couple of times a day, and it is essential they have fresh water and food nearby.
    If you want new chicks you can get fertilised eggs and set under her to hatch out. Move her to seperate quarters if you do this as it will be easier when the chicks hatch.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 9:49pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Thanks NN, if just letting her get on with it is going to the best and nicest thing for her then that's what I'll do. The others are still laying and you're right I regularly take a couple of eggs from under her. I've been taking her out at least twice a day to make sure she gets food, water and exercise so it sounds like I'm best letting her get it out of her system. The idea of raising some chicks is lovely but I'm working full time in my own job and as often as I can in my wife's business so it wouldn't be fair to attempt it yet. I recently (yesterday) found out that an old friend who had lost touch with is now breeding chickens so might eventually give it a go. Having had my 4 for a short while I'm already thinking 6 wouldn't much more work than 4, and 8 wouldn't be much more etc etc, I'm sure you know the feeling :-)
    • CommentAuthorCheshireChicken
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 10:52pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Hi there, I am no expert, but I've had chickens for almost 2 years now and one of our girls got broody again and again. Each time it got that little bit worse and eventually I had to evict her from the nest box several times a day, because she wasn't eating or drinking enough and it showed. We then had enough and built her broody box. We placed it so that she could still see her 'sisters' and within 4 days she was 'cured'. Before that it took weeks for her to get over it.
    The next time she got broody, we relented and got some fertilized eggs from a friend and she became a very happy mum. We didn't take her or the chicks out, just let her get on with it.
    The additional chickens make no difference to the work. However, there is of course always the option of - dare I mention it - eating some. This is the great advantage of having chickens for pets, you can enjoy every aspect of them.
    :face-devil-grin:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 11:32pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Thanks Cheshire, and welcome to the forum.

I'm a lot newer to all of this than you are, what exactly is a broody box, where did you put it etc ? Would it be a good idea at this time of year to have a girl away from the others for warmth at night ?

(Gotta be honest I'm a hippocrit, I'll buy free range chicken but couldn't eat one my own :face-crying:)
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 11:35pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Don't know a darn thing about broody hens, but just wanted to wish you and Belle good luck with the business.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 11:39pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Thanks Kate, if you're ever in Tamworth high street say hi, it's called Lavish Legs ( or if you're on Facebook you could "like" the page and help spread the word ) ( sorry that was cheeky to ask)

Have't spoken to you in ages, how are you doing, I bet the cat rescue is over flowing this time of year ?
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 11:51pm (Dec 15th 2011)

Am curious as to what she's selling! I don't do Facebook but am sure I can spread the word - got a couple of friends that live in Tamworth but never shopped there myself. Will have to make the effort one day!

I'm fine thanks - yes, it's pretty full but quite a few cats have gone over the past few weeks. They don't rehome between the 18th and the 2nd unless its exceptional circumstances, but people can still come in and reserve cats. We've snow forecast for overnight - hope its gone by Saturday so's I can get there!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2011 11:58pm (Dec 15th 2011)

She sells fancy stockings, designer tights, lingerie, corsets & ladies fancy dress but not the Ann summers style, more classy even if you don't have a Facebook account you can look at the stuff at www.facebook.com/lavishlegs or lavishlegs.com

It's good that they stop rehoming, I'm guessing that's to prevent the whole pets for presents thing ?

Don't think the snow will be an issue, hopefully just a sprinkle to Christmas things up then gone again.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2011 6:07pm (Dec 16th 2011)

I left Sage to go broody on her own and thought she'd snap out of it. And on December the 2nd she did indeed snap out of it and emerged from the henhouse. I lifted her up to check she was all right...and there was a chick underneath!!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2011 6:28pm (Dec 16th 2011)

That must have been a great surprise!
    Good for Sage. :hyper_chick:
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2011 11:53pm (Dec 16th 2011)

I didn't realise you were having an extra chicken for Christmas!! :o)

That's part of it Mac, also its a very busy time in most households with lots of family visiting and people going off to visit others so they take the view that it's better to get on and enjoy Christmas and think about settling a cat in afterwards. Also most vets are closed so if you get an emergency it can be very expensive! Its the national standard, however I think they will rehome in exceptional circumstances such as someone elderly that lives alone etc.

Will have a look at that website Mac, thanks!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th, 2011 2:18pm (Dec 17th 2011)

Congrats on the new chick CC, can't see that happening here as i've only got girls unless we get real genuine Christmas thing going on :-)

Thats a really good way to run things Kate, does make January completely manic ?
    • CommentTimeDec 17th, 2011 6:29pm (Dec 17th 2011)

No, this was a few years ago now. Sinead is too savvy to go in for that sort of thing in winter - and Trinny is too young yet!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th, 2011 8:28am (Dec 18th 2011)

Well it looks like if I'd waited another 3 days to ask this question, it wouldn't have needed asking. When I let the girls out this morning Polly actually came out with them, has eaten her share of the warm mash and has been happily scratching around since :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 18th, 2011 11:09pm (Dec 18th 2011)

I don't know Mac - I started going there in Feb of this year, so haven't done a January yet! The other reason they don't rehome (which came to me after I'd posted) is that people don't want to be doing the home visits over the festive period either - folk want it at home with their own families!
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2011 1:23am (Dec 20th 2011)

Oh I was so excited thinking you got a new chick CC !!!!

I had a look at the site Mac and love it. sorry I dont do face book so can not do a like thingie for you, but will pass the link to every one I know.

Glad Polly has sorted herself out. It must have been a trial run for the spring !!!!!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2011 8:45pm (Dec 20th 2011)

Thanks NN, I've never built a website before so was quite pleased with it, hopefully it will grow and improve over the coming months.

Polly is well and truly back to her posh little ways although not laying again yet, I guess I'll probably have to wait until after the new year now, but I don't mind as long as she's happy and healthy.
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2011 11:02pm (Dec 20th 2011)

I never realised there were so many different types of leg coverings!!! Some of the fancy dress costumes are lovely, but I'm afraid I'm a bit too old to be seen in such things nowadays. Wish I looked like your model!
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd, 2011 9:49pm (Dec 22nd 2011)

Mine are still recovering from their moult so I am only getting one egg a day at the moment Mac. But as you say as long as they are happy and healthy. They are starting to look smart again. Baby Blue is looking blue again instead of dusty grey. My old speckaldy has white bib feathers this year, they make her look right cute.
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 6:57pm (Dec 23rd 2011)

I'm not getting any eggs! :( Never mind, springtime soon...
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 9:02pm (Dec 23rd 2011)

Mine are laying so well at the moment i cant believe it :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 9:07pm (Dec 23rd 2011) edited

half of mine are getting on a bit now so have slowed right down...... a bit like me really Ha Ha
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 9:15pm (Dec 23rd 2011)

Posted By: nanny northso have slowed right down...... a bit like me really

Don,t we all NN :face-smile:
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeDec 27th, 2011 12:39am (Dec 27th 2011)

I'm getting about 7 or 8 a day, but I have the young hen that I raised this Spring laying now..none of my older hens have laid an egg in a couple of months now..that's ok they are all sweet kids so it doesn't matter if they lay or not.:face-smile:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 7:16pm (Dec 29th 2011)

Polly has started laying again over the last couple of days so getting 2-3 eggs a day at the moment, my little Button has even started having an occasional go :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 11:01pm (Dec 29th 2011)

So its not only the plants that are confused by this odd weather.