• CommentTimeJan 7th, 2012 8:32pm (Jan 7th 2012) edited

We picked up our rats today from the breeder. They are almost 7 weeks old, both male, Banjo is the hooded one and Okto is the black-ish one. They both have satin fur too apparently which means they'll be super shiny!!

The first two pics are the ones we were sent by the breeder (Bohemian Stud), and the rest are from their first day. We handled them for about 15 minutes before putting them in their new home, and then Banjo wanted to come out when we got back (they'd been in the cage for about 4 hours at this point) so we played with him for about 10 minutes - Okto was too busy sleeping, but Banjo literally followed us around the room on his cage bars, and really didn't want to go back after!

They're both confident and friendly; Okto seems to be more people-confident, whereas Banjo likes to meet a person a few times first, but then is incredibly licky!! Banjo was more confident about exploring the new cage, whereas Okto hung back until his brother went in. We have both been bruxed on already too, and 'kissed' :smile:

Their cage is a Ferplast Furet Plus too.
      rat12.jpg
      rat22.jpg
      rats32.jpg
      rats42.jpg
      rats62.jpg
      rats52.jpg
      rats7.jpg
      rats8.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2012 9:22pm (Jan 8th 2012)

Yes, you can see how shiny Banjo is already!

As to your question on the other thread about why do roan rats lose their colour, I don't know! If I find out I'll let you know. I assume its something genetic so will have a really complicated answer!
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2012 1:13am (Jan 9th 2012)

Oh Red they are just so sweet the little darlings. I hope you all have many happy hours entertaining each other.:rat:
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2012 1:30pm (Jan 9th 2012)

They are beautiful!! Okto is our shy guy, which I really wasn't expecting, and Banjo is a LIVEWIRE!!! We had them out in the bathroom yesterday morning which they both thoroughly enjoyed, and on the couch last night...Okto spent the whole time in my jumper sleeve bruxing :laugh:

I was gonna get pics but my camera batteries died. Charged and ready for their first playtime today though...I'm having a verrrry slooooow day today...
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2012 3:41pm (Jan 9th 2012) edited

They had an hour-long play session...so I got an hour's worth of pics :P

They are gaining confidence already, although still a little skitty with noises, so at night we get them out on the couch with the TV on. Okto's doing very well and I secretly thing he is 'my boy' as he only comes out for me! They loved Lyle's coat so we let them play in there for about 20 minutes then took it off to make sure they got some proper handling too. Okto spent the last 10 minutes sleeping up my sleeve, he's definitely the lazy one of the two!!

Sorry there are so many pics, I didn't even post them all :bigsmile:
      rats10.jpg
      rats18.jpg
      rats13.jpg
      rats14.jpg
      rats15.jpg
      rats16.jpg
      rats20.jpg
      rats21.jpg
      rats22.jpg
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2012 7:31pm (Jan 9th 2012)

Red, how old are the boys? You might have said before, but I can't find the post if you did.

Lets see if I have the names right... "Okto" is mostly black with a white face and "Banjo" has the black head and strip down his back..is that right or have I got it the wrong way round? They are just both so very cute.
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2012 12:52am (Jan 10th 2012) edited

Cute boys Red, I am having difficulty working out just how big they are, can you take a pic with them near a ruler or something so we can get an idea? love the way you have 'proofed' the bathroom so they can have a run around.
    oh yes forgive my ignorance what is bruxing?
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2012 7:22pm (Jan 10th 2012)

They're almost 7 weeks Lynn. TM, they're about six inches in body length, something like that?! About the length of my palm, maybe a little shorter. We don't have a ruler :smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2012 11:15pm (Jan 10th 2012)

Bruxing is when they grind their teeth together to show pleasure, or in some cases pain/stress (a bit like a cat purring - usually happy, sometimes distressed).

Rats can also boggle, which is where their eyes appear to bulge in and out of their heads! Boggling is very strange to see and a bit freaky at first, but once you realise they have to be very relaxed and happy to do it then you feel very proud that they will brux and boggle for you.
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2012 8:15pm (Jan 11th 2012)

Lyle got boggled on whilst he was at the breeders :P

They were much more confident this morning, which was nice! Neither minded being picked up and Banjo used me to hide on when his brother was trying to steal his dog treat hahaha!

Oh Lynn, I meant to say you were right too, Banjo's the hooded and Okto has a white face and tummy :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2012 12:49pm (Jan 12th 2012) edited

Sock monster! :laugh:
      ratties.jpg
      ratties1.jpg
      ratties2.jpg
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 7:47am (Jan 14th 2012)

I LOVE your little sock monster, Red!!! He's just sooo darling!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 11:06am (Jan 14th 2012)

Thanks for the word explaination, now i get it.
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 10:55pm (Jan 14th 2012)

I love this thread!!!

Red - I know money is tight, but a great site to get hammocks etc from is www.fuzzbutt.co.uk. They last ages and wash and dry quickly. I tried making some like she sells and they were OK, but just didn't hold up to the rigors of my girls, so are worth a splurge if you have the money one day.

Another good site is www.equinecaninefeline.co.uk. My girls favourite item was their sputnik - before they got too fat to share they were always curled up together in it, then it got to be first there claimed it, and the other had the hammock!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 11:35pm (Jan 14th 2012) edited

He posed so well for the pics too Lynn :tooth:

Thanks Kate!! Ah, I was going to buy them a sputnik (this was before we even knew we were getting them so soon LOL!) but then they arrived before I had chance and I wanted one to hang from the top bars initially, but as the bars on the Furet Plus are weaker on top (much bendier) I wasn't sure I'd feel comfortable hanging it from there...the hammock they have at the moment isn't too smelly (yet!!) but we're gonna need at least another one to rotate whilst this one is being washed and dried!

Well, we cleaned them out for the first time today as we've had them a week...what a handful!! :rolling: Cleaning the whole thing wasn't too bad, it was putting them back afterwards! Banjo was excited to explore so he went in of his own free will, but Okto wanted to stay out so got plonked in. As I was closing the door he zoomed out and went back up my sleeve, and as I was trying to get him out Banjo decided he was missing out on something so came out too...this happened numerous times, as you can tell from the pics :tooth:

It took me about fifteen minutes to get them both back, but it was good fun! And meant I got loads of pics!!

So yeah, we've had them a week. They're much more settled (fairly happy being picked up now instead of waiting for them to come to you) but I can't tell if they've grown or not :P
      ratties3.jpg
      ratties5.jpg
      ratties6.jpg
      ratties8.jpg
      ratties9.jpg
      ratties11.jpg
      ratties12.jpg
      ratties13.jpg
      ratties14.jpg
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2012 6:14am (Jan 15th 2012)

My favorite picture is the 4th one from the top, Banjo in the red dish. DARLING!!
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2012 12:25pm (Jan 15th 2012) edited

Heh, I've had such weird reactions from family on these..."eugh, rats! Oh no, they're horrible, just horrible..." "They're just babies now, nobody can think that these two aren't cute! Hold on I gotta video..." "Oh no, oh look at them, oh disgusting..."

Get over it people -_-

And if you really don't like them, just say 'not my cup of tea' and move on...no need to call my boys disgusting, sheesh!! Really wanna get Lyle's little brother over 'cos his automatic reaction was 'ew' but I think he'd love them :smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2012 5:49pm (Jan 15th 2012)

I know; people feel free to say they don't like cats/rats/dogs/octopi to your face but mention that you aren't fond of children and they go off on one! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2012 6:33pm (Jan 15th 2012) edited

I wouldn't mind if they just said "I'm not a fan of rats"...it's when they seriously call them horrible or disgusting that I get peeved. And some children can be horrible, in looks and personality, whereas I doubt you get that with rats :P
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2012 10:16pm (Jan 15th 2012) edited

I took some absolutely ADORABLE photos of the boys tonight - my first thought was 'Kate's gonna love these!!'

You see how Okto's fur near his bottom has gotten all long and fine?! They are so much more confident now; tonight was one of my favourite play sessions :smile:

It's hard to get good pics because they move so fast, but I'm chuffed with these!
      ratties17.jpg
      ratties16.jpg
      ratties18.jpg
      ratties19.jpg
      ratties20.jpg
      ratties21.jpg
      ratties22.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2012 10:24pm (Jan 15th 2012) edited

Sorry, I didn't realise how many I took!! :blushing:

These are my absolute favourites though...Banjo stealing a cube of sponge, Banjo posing with his daddy ( :heart: ), Banjo wriggling into a digestive packet (now THAT was funny!!) and some awesome ones of Okto-baby...this is it I promise...
      ratties23.jpg
      ratties24.jpg
      ratties25.jpg
      ratties26.jpg
      ratties27.jpg
      ratties28.jpg
      ratties29.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2012 11:48pm (Jan 16th 2012)

Oh Red! There have been so many 'ooos' and 'aaahs' and 'eees' from me when I was looking at these! The one of Lyle and Banjo is so wonderful!! Okto is very similar to my Molly, he's just a bit darker. The awful thing is I haven't got a photo of her on the mac or my phone so can't post one (unless I have one on the pooter at work???) Keep the photos coming - then again no, stop it, I want rats!!!

You are right about people's reactions. I always asked if they've ever actually met a pet rat because after all, I love pet dogs but don't want to meet a wild one. Same with rats.

As for the sputnik, I always strung a hammock underneath it or put it over a shelf, simply because I'd read a couple of posts where the weight of multiple rats had broken the tab that holds it up, or they'd had a tussle in it and knocked it off the top. It only happened once to me and the hammock saved it. The cage will be OK with holding it I'm sure.
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2012 4:18pm (Jan 17th 2012)

I *thought* Molly looked similar to Oktie, I think I remember seeing pics of when you first got her...

Haha, glad you enjoyed the photos!! I was a bit worried about the bars bending and allowing the rats to escape - they are very bendy on top, it's my one complaint so far! - but I could always add a Sputnik when the boys were older and fatter :P - thanks for the hammock tip too that's a great idea!

Also, for anyone wondering, they are NOT poops in the photos, it is balled up spinach :P
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 6:47am (Jan 19th 2012)

Red dont ever stop the pics, they are just beautiful little darlings. You are right folks, whether people don't like kids. kitties, dogs, zebras or gazeebos they can just move on don't have to look or listen. We all have our likes and dislikes that's what makes us all so interesting as 'hoomins'.
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 12:31pm (Jan 19th 2012)

Thanks TM! Last night when we got them out was the first night I looked at them and thought "Wow, haven't you grown!" :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 5:26pm (Jan 19th 2012)

They are so lovely. And if I didn't think that Tuppence would somehow have them for lunch - and LSE go up the wall, I would get some...
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 8:56pm (Jan 19th 2012) edited

Hmm, I suppose you can't put it on a shelf out of the way like you can with dogs!

A photo shoot from tonight (I'm trying to add a link to an adorably cute video of Lyle having his hands full with the two of them!)...at one point Lyle, handling them from the floor, let Banjo escape under the couch...the nitwit! I really need to start working on a recall with them...

We sat and waited for half an hour, and Banjo had a brief explore then took the Scarlet-elevator back to the couch :smile:

yobs.jpg
      yobs1.jpg
      yobs2.jpg
      yobs3.jpg
      yobs4.jpg
      yobs7.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 9:02pm (Jan 19th 2012) edited

And an uber cute one of Okto, and some kissy-Lyle ones :)
      yobs5.jpg
      yobs6.jpg
      yobs8.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2012 11:26pm (Jan 20th 2012)

Oh Red they really are darlings! I was going to say that Banjo was my favourite with that glossy fur, but then I saw the one of Okto - skwee!!! So cute!!
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2012 5:01am (Jan 21st 2012)

Red, those pictures of your "boys" are DARLING!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE KISSY-LYLE ONES!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2012 11:55am (Jan 21st 2012) edited

Haha, thanks both! :)

My dad's favourite is Okto, admittedly from the one time he's seen them. I wanna try and clicker train them to kiss people on the lips Lynn, cos that'd be way cute! I'm not sure if I should wait until they're a little older to clicker train them; they're very confident now so worries on that score! Maybe I should just give it a shot...

We bought 20kg of cardboard bedding off the internet the other day for £14, it arrived today...that's A LOT of bedding!! :shocked:
      latejan1.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2012 11:25pm (Jan 22nd 2012)

Its amazing how quickly you'll go through it! Never heard of anyone clicker training a rat - they're usually easily trainable anyway (not that I ever managed to train any of mine to do anything!!!) Look forward to hearing how that goes - they seem very friendly so it should be very do-able, especially with your patience.
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2012 3:19pm (Jan 23rd 2012)

I've been surprised at how little it's taken so far, I'm used to dust extracted sawdust where you need huge handfuls of it to cover the smallest of areas...the cardboard chips spread really far, and they're better at holding in the smell than I thought they would be.

Ha, I thought it was quite common?! I guess I'll have to clicker train them separately, otherwise the noise will only mean something to one. I want to teach them a recall, but that's one of the hardest to instil, so I might start with some tricks such as spin...
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2012 9:29pm (Jan 23rd 2012) edited

We got such a bargain today!

Got a cargo net that P@H are selling for £11.99, we found at the market pet shop today. Asked how much it was as didn't have a price, and the girl guessed £6.99. The guy went to check and said it was supposed to be £9.99 but he'd let us have it for the price they guessed! :tooth:

The boys were being little terrors to photograph tonight, but we had a fab time playing with them and cleaning them out :smile:

2nd pic = FUZBUTT!!!
      yobs10.jpg
      yobs12.jpg
      yobs19.jpg
      yobs14.jpg
      yobs15.jpg
      yobs16.jpg
      yobs18.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2012 9:38pm (Jan 23rd 2012) edited

Okto got across to the sink and was slipping about everywhere! They seemed to approve of the new bedding, and Banjo loved the hammock!
      yobs20.jpg
      yobs21.jpg
      yobs22.jpg
      yobs23.jpg
      yobs24.jpg
      yobs25.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2012 10:21pm (Jan 23rd 2012)

You weren't using sawdust for the rats were you?! I wouldn't recommend as it can get into their lungs (and its rubbish at keeping them clean - rats pee more than kids on a road trip!) I never tried cardboard but know lots and lots of people that did and swore by it. Also, a product called Yesterday's News. Its mainly a cat litter product but because its made from recycled newspapers (hence the name). My rats had died before I found out about it so didn't get to try it personally.

Another good one is a small cat litter tray filled with sterilised soil (garden dirt has too many bacteria) and bury treats in it such as nuts or seeds or anything and they have a great time digging for them. In the summer you can use the litter tray as a pea pond - nice cold water with frozen peas or corn to keep them cool. Angel and Saffy LOVED that one!
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2012 10:53pm (Jan 23rd 2012) edited

Scarlet hasn't used sawdust with the rats, just her mice I think (especially the one that had problems controlling his bowels and bladder!)

I think we used to use it with our rats (the last pair were nine years ago) and luckily it was fine but I know there are better products out there now. I'd be tempted to look at reptile bedding too, but it might be either too hard or not absorbant enough I guess (and far too expensive).
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2012 11:19pm (Jan 23rd 2012) edited

Posted By: KatebYou weren't using sawdust for the rats were you?!

No, I always do my homework before getting a new pet, even if I've owned them before...

We use dust-extracted for Pearl (and previously Bam) anyway though, which some rat owners still use. We opted for cardboard though, thought about hemp but liked this idea better. The boys seem to like it.
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2012 10:17pm (Jan 24th 2012)

There are some rat owners that use sawdust but that is because bad pet shops sell it to them!!! I've always thought it strange that it's OK for mice but not rats. Maybe their lungs aren't as delicate / prone to myco etc. I didn't think you'd have used it, but just wanted to check in case someone stumbles along this thread and thinks it's a good idea.

Never heard of using hemp but it makes me think of a Futurama episode where Amy is discussing all the uses for hemp with a spaced out college hippy (who can only think of one use!) She never mentions rat bedding though!

I believe the cardboard is a recycled product so its environmentally friendly too. Only downside is storage but I bet that bag will last you a while.
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2012 11:57am (Jan 26th 2012) edited

Posted By: KatebThere are some rat owners that use sawdust but that is because bad pet shops sell it to them!!!

The studies I've read have all shown there is a very very minimal chance that dust-extracted sawdust will cause health issues in rats. The risk becomes realistic when it is non dust-extracted, is scented, cedar, or pine especially if not kiln-dried. But I'd still rather use something that was 100% safe.

My dad came to see the boys last night - first time he's seen them since picking them up, and his first response was "Wow they've grown!" :smile: Had a nice play time with them and my dad got lots of licks and cuddles! He was amazed at how wick they are, especially Banjo leaping from one shoulder to another :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2012 10:58pm (Jan 26th 2012)

Its great to read how sociable they are. It makes a big difference to both the enjoyment you get from them and they quality of their lives.

I'm still jealous as hell too!!!! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJan 27th, 2012 6:07pm (Jan 27th 2012)

And so you should be they are absolute lovebugs! :001_tt2:

You know you want to get some more hahaha ;)

My friend met them last though and was flinching all over the place and screaming and wriggling his bum when they sniffed at him etc...I just thought he was going to crush one!! We put them away ASAP and will not be getting them out around him again!

I need to take some more pics but my camera batteries are dying...
    • CommentTimeJan 27th, 2012 11:22pm (Jan 27th 2012)

You're right I do, but no space at the moment.

I think my cat (who is sitting on the desk next to me) just, er, what's the polite term? Broke wind. There's a terrible stink and everyone else is in bed!!!! :shocked:
    • CommentTimeJan 28th, 2012 10:05am (Jan 28th 2012)

That's what your cat thinks of the idea!

Kasp trumped when he was on the couch last night...I was ill and lying down, and his bum was right in front of my face :glare:
    • CommentTimeJan 28th, 2012 6:13pm (Jan 28th 2012)

Quick video trying to show the size difference between the adorable Pearl and the giant ratties! You can't really tell, but she's literally the size of their head bless her :heart:

• CommentTimeJan 28th, 2012 7:36pm (Jan 28th 2012)

Posted By: Kateb

That's right, blame the cat. We believe you...:rolling:
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2012 11:45pm (Jan 29th 2012)

Great video Red - poor Kasper, he looked really sad!!!

But it WAS the cat! :ack2: In human terms she's over 100 years old so can get away with it!!!
    • CommentTimeJan 30th, 2012 1:10pm (Jan 30th 2012)

He always looks really sad; he has perfected the 'pity me' look!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd, 2012 10:21am (Feb 2nd 2012)

Lovely video of the darlin's and some wonderful ratty pics.
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2012 3:12pm (Feb 4th 2012) edited

The boys have been quieter the last few times we got them out - they can't be settling down and maturing already can they?! :shocked:

Squashed ratties behind Lyle's back :smile:
      quiet1.jpg
      quiet2.jpg
      quiet3.jpg
      quiet4.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2012 3:21pm (Feb 4th 2012) edited

And out and about photos :)
      quiet.jpg
      quiet6.jpg
      quiet7.jpg
      quiet8.jpg
      quiet9.jpg
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2012 7:15pm (Feb 4th 2012)

Wow, Red the boys sure have grown since you first got them..they are sooooo cute!
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2012 9:43pm (Feb 4th 2012)

They have haven't they?! :shocked: Haha, it's unusual that even I can tell when a pet has grown!! I swear Okto's fur has gotten lighter already too, but that could just be me...will have to get a comparison photo!

They were back to their usual energetic selves tonight, so maybe they were just sleepy last night. Okto got hold of my lip ring for the second time and was trying to pull it away :shocked: :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2012 11:04pm (Feb 4th 2012)

Okto is just trying to save you from the ring that's attacking your lip!!! Watch out for your eyelashes too - rats like to pull at them too! I think they've grown and agree about Okto. I just thought it was maybe a better lit photo, but he looks so much like my Molly in those photos whereas before he was a much darker grey (blue).
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2012 11:01am (Feb 5th 2012)

Hahaha! Wow, I didn't expect his fur to change so quickly - he'll be white in no time! :shocked:

I'll have to try get a well lit, clear body pic to compare it with.
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2012 12:34pm (Feb 7th 2012) edited

Okay, these two are accurate body shots from last night...if you compare these with the bottom pics, he looks like a different rat!!!
      white.jpg
      white1.jpg
      rats16.jpg
      rats14.jpg
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2012 7:07pm (Feb 7th 2012)

Wow..he looks like a silver rat in the latest pictures. I didn't think he'd change color that fast..he's still a cutie no matter what his color. Will he be completely white soon..loose all the dark markings???
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2012 9:55pm (Feb 7th 2012)

He is just like my Molly was! She was very obviously grey/blue when I first got her, and then she started to 'roan' out. She didn't fade much more really after that, but she died at 13 months so I never got to see how much colour she would lose. That's why I'm looking forward to watching Okto change.

And yes Lynn, I was told they do go completely white eventually, but I've never seen that with my own eyes!
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2012 10:01pm (Feb 7th 2012)

This is a great link to all the varieties of rats - whoever knew there were so many! It's alphabetical and Roan is about half way down. There is a photo of a kitten and the same rat as an adult which shows the difference. Apparently some will go white in months, whereas others will keep some colour all their lives.

I always wanted a dumbo ... maybe one day I'll have it!
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2012 7:43pm (Feb 8th 2012)

I thought he'd fade slowly, over time! I thought I'd have an almost-white rat at 2.5 years, not 2.5 months!!! :laugh:

Looking at Bohemian's pics he used to be almost black :shocked: He looks so handsome now with his faded colour, I used to think Banjo was the cute one!! It's interesting being able to see it happening, as I wasn't expecting it to be fast enough to notice.
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2012 10:43pm (Feb 8th 2012)

He might not fade that quickly! It just means you'll have to keep taking lots of photos of him and posting them on here so that we can watch it too! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2012 7:45pm (Feb 9th 2012)

So could he fade fast now, and then it might slow a little or stop completely?

He suits being faded very well, I'm really excited about him going whiter though!! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2012 6:27pm (Feb 10th 2012)

I'm going whiter. Anyone excited about that...? :tooth:
    They are so lovely - I don't know why people have such a down on them. But then spider keepers might wonder why I climb the walls on seeing an arachnid...
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2012 9:26pm (Feb 10th 2012)

Hahaha, true CC!

I think thery're brill anyway. Showed them off to our friend tonight who can't wait to get them out :smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2012 11:07pm (Feb 10th 2012)

• CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2012 11:37pm (Feb 10th 2012)

Posted By: KatebPeople are down on them because they've never actually met them and believe all the bad press about them! Once met, never hated again!!

I really REALLY want to test this out with my Nana and Aunt. My Nana I think will love them, as long as they're in their house and not out and she doesn't have to hold them...my Aunt I'm pretty sure will never like them and always call them "disgusting". She's very blinkered and not an animal person at all really.
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2012 1:51am (Feb 12th 2012) edited

This is a short video of the boys playing on the sofa bed with our friend tonight...you can see how white Okto is and how friendly they both are :bigsmile:

Okto just loooves giving face kisses :rolling:

• CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2012 11:01pm (Feb 12th 2012)

He has lost a lot of colour hasn't he! Watching Banjo reminded me of when Patrick used to try to steal my socks - she would constantly be nipping at the front of them and would catch my toes sometimes. This led to the "trying to hide my feet game" which I always lost. Those darn rats can get everywhere!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2012 8:13pm (Feb 13th 2012)

Chip used to do that when he was a puppy...walking or going down stairs he would nibble at your feet. Aaagh needle-sharp puppy teeth!! :shocked:

Okto's our lovely fat boy hehe...it looks like he's an old man already because he's bigger (size and weight) than his brother and going white :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2012 10:39pm (Feb 13th 2012)

I feel like I'm on an episode of TV Burp when I try to decide because I like Okto - he's a nice colour, and a big squish, but then I like Banjo with his cute face and long tail. There's only one way to find out ... er, no. No fighting boys!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th, 2012 10:47am (Feb 14th 2012)

They do have lots of playfights - it's hilarious because by the end of it they're not even fighting just grooming each other!! :rolling:

I guess the fights will get a little more serious as they mature though :001_rolleyes:
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th, 2012 11:44pm (Feb 14th 2012)

What a lovely video of them Red so sweet and quick on their feet too.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2012 6:16pm (Feb 15th 2012)

Thanks TM! Yes they're very fast when they want to be!! When they were out two nights ago in the bathroom they were incredibly lively and hyper!! Running, skipping, jumping and attempting to jump onto anything no matter how high it was :smile:
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2012 7:36pm (Feb 17th 2012)

Great video, Red... I think they are both so very darling, it would be hard to pick which one would be a favorite.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2012 5:12pm (Feb 18th 2012)

They are complete polar opposites in looks and personality! Banjo's looking ever so small and scrawny at the moment compared to his brother. I might have to start getting Banjy out separately and trying to feed him up!
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2012 8:24pm (Feb 22nd 2012) edited

Bit of a picturefest tonight :blush:

Lyle took these ones...

Okto's head looks dead weird at the moment as he just has one patch of solid dark colour

Photobucket

Both boys were feeling very daring tonight, hence me keeping a hand close ready to catch him!!

Photobucket

Me holding Okty

Photobucket

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2012 8:35pm (Feb 22nd 2012)

And I managed to get a few shots of Okty washing - don't think he was impressed with me!!

Photobucket

How cute is this?! :heart: :rolling:

Photobucket

Looks like he's sticking his tongue out here...

Photobucket

RAT FIGHT!!!

Photobucket

Awww

Photobucket

Fully clean cage

Photobucket

Washing in his hammock :smile:

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2012 10:52pm (Feb 22nd 2012)

Brilliant photos Red! They are such cute boys and I can't believe how much they've grown!
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2012 4:55pm (Feb 23rd 2012)

Okto looks as though he's wearing a little wig! Certainly keep you busy...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2012 9:38pm (Feb 23rd 2012)

Posted By: chief chickenOkto looks as though he's wearing a little wig!

:rolling: It really does!! He even has a little centre parting!!

I know, they are huge now :smile: I find it hard to believe that Okto used to be almost as dark as Banjo! We had my nana round today and I made her come see them for the first time (she's scared of mice, rats and gerbils) and she thought they were cute - behind bars!!

She would have freaked if we'd got them out haha...she's dead good my nana though, she gives any animal a chance and doesn't write them off straight away.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2012 11:27pm (Feb 24th 2012)

Did anyone see Coronation Street tonight? They had a pet rat in it - it was in a cage and they put squeaking noises over it all the time. Tracey was pulling a "yuk its disgusting" face all the time, and the boy who owns it is fat and lazy and they are suggesting its a horrible pet. It is also on its own - not good for a rat.

I never heard my rats squeak unless they were fighting over something or stuck somewhere. Perhaps we should write and complain!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2012 10:11am (Feb 25th 2012) edited

Every time I've seen a 'pet' rat on TV it's been on it's own and in a cage so small I wouldn't keep a dwarf hamster in there. With the squeaking noises, of course ;) They get put on for mice too and, once, even a gerbil!

Haven't seen it yet, but we'll probably be watching it today or tomorrow.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2012 6:22pm (Feb 25th 2012) edited

Like they never have dogs just sitting quiet; they always put whining/whimpering on the soundtrack. Pathetic.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2012 6:24pm (Feb 25th 2012)

And, I'd rather have the rat than the child in Corrie...
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2012 9:05pm (Feb 25th 2012)

Speaking of rats...here's my two!

This was supposed to be training session, but...kinda failed and turned into cuddle / play :smile:

• CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2012 9:57pm (Feb 26th 2012) edited

Hahaha we got the boys out today and Okto was on the edge of the bathtub and slipped and slid all the way down into the bath! It was brilliant :tooth: They're so adventurous...Okto's gotten a lot braver and now will jump from the toilet seat to the floor, which is a big drop for a baby!

Didn't do any 'training' today, just had play. I love that Okto's so big and chunky because it makes him so cuddly and grab-able!! I've been feeding Banjo extras when he's out to try build him up too ;)
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2012 7:37pm (Feb 27th 2012)

Okto is just so cute in that video, Red..his color sure is changing fast..you wouldn't know it was the same rat at all. He's also a pretty smart kid too.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2012 1:05am (Mar 1st 2012)

Just beautiful Red, love the earlier close up pics having a wash and the training is going vey well indeed.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2012 5:05pm (Mar 1st 2012) edited

Thanks both! :heart:

I knooow he's gonna be white soon at this rate! He doesn't look too bad training-wise does he Lynn? I had to cut a lot out though - Okto's far lazier than Banjo, Banjo's willing to work for the treat!

Okto's is my little snuggle-bunny though, I do have a soft spot for him :smile:

I don't know if you can tell, but watch out in the video for the size difference between the two - Okto looks twice Banjy's size!! :laugh:
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2012 10:45pm (Mar 3rd 2012) edited

We were in the market the other day and they have some rats in that are roughly the same age as ours, give or take a week. They are kept in tiny RUBs with no stimulation or bedding, just sawdust, food and water. Wouldn't be so bad if the rats sold but they haven't sold any since they came in, when we got our rats! The size difference is amazing too, our boys are so much bigger :smile:

You can see even Banjy has grown in these photos!
      moor22.jpg
      moor14.jpg
      moor18.jpg
      moor21.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2012 10:52pm (Mar 3rd 2012) edited

And these are them looking cute, as ever :001_rolleyes:
      moor13.jpg
      moor16.jpg
      moor20.jpg
      moor23.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2012 11:33pm (Mar 3rd 2012)

Banjo is so glossy! Whenever I see photos of them together it reminds me so much of Patrick and Molly that were the same colouring (but different sex of course!!)
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2012 6:35pm (Mar 4th 2012) edited

I've been looking back at this thread and the change in them is amazing, in size and weight! Okto used to be so skinny and slim...now he is 'cuddly'!! :P Haha, he's not fat though.

I didn't realise Patrick was black, I always thought she was brown like my hooded girl.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2012 9:09pm (Mar 4th 2012)

I meant each of mine was the same colour as each of yours! Patrick was hooded and Molly was roan. Patrick wasn't as shiny as Banjo though, unless she was when she was young and I've just forgotten.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2012 9:38pm (Mar 4th 2012)

Haha, I know, I just thought she was brown - probably because my female hooded was brown! Half the time I think Banjo's brown though and then I look properly at him and am all chuffed because I have a b&w rat!! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2012 11:37pm (Mar 5th 2012)

I have always wanted a black rat, maybe with white feet that makes it look like its wearing gloves!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 7:11pm (Mar 6th 2012) edited

I want a mostly black rat too...the beige girl I had was very pretty, but don't really like rats with red eyes, even though my fave first boys had red eyes!!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 8:09pm (Mar 6th 2012)

Never had a red eyed rat. Not sure I'd choose one, but wouldn't reject it either.
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2012 10:07pm (Mar 6th 2012)

Red, Okto isn't fat..he's just "big boned"..yeah..that's it..he's just big boned. That's what I tell people about my pudgy Jack Russell ....she's just big boned.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2012 10:57am (Mar 7th 2012)

Haha, I call him my chunky monkey :smile:

Kate, five of my rats had red eyes, Bam and quite a few of my other mice have had red eyes, two rabbits and guinea pigs, and a few gerbils too - so I don't dislike it that much! But I do think in most cases black-eyed rats are cuter C: