• CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 6:15pm (Mar 14th 2012) edited

Ratty pics...didn't get many good ones, but ah well! :)

I like the ones where you can see he's using his tail for balance!
      washer18.jpg
      washer21.jpg
      washer23.jpg
      washer22.jpg
      washer27.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 6:24pm (Mar 14th 2012) edited

I sooo wish that this first pic was in focus, it's Okto mid jump!! :face-devil-grin:

And I like the last pic cos Banjo's foot is raised to scratch his ear :smile:
      washer20.jpg
      washer24.jpg
      washer26.jpg
      washer25.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 9:39pm (Mar 14th 2012)

Awwww..they are adorable, Red!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2012 11:34pm (Mar 14th 2012)

I like the one where it looks like Okto is wearing a rug (wig)!

I saw an old episode of Midsommer Murders tonight and at the end Barnaby's wife wanted to buy a boat until she saw a rat on it. It was a lovely sleek black girl. Mrs Barnaby couldn't get out quick enough, so Barnaby thanked the rat. At last, the rat is the good guy!!!!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2012 6:00am (Mar 15th 2012)

I remember seeing that episode, Kate..I thought it was sooo funny.

Posted By: KatebI saw an old episode of Midsommer Murders tonight and at the end Barnaby's wife wanted to buy a boat until she saw a rat on it. It was a lovely sleek black girl. Mrs Barnaby couldn't get out quick enough, so Barnaby thanked the rat. At last, the rat is the good guy!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2012 1:03pm (Mar 15th 2012)

Isn't it funny how that patch has stayed dark?!

Haha, I can't think of anything that's shown rats in a positive light...

At what age are rats considered fully grown?
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2012 11:27pm (Mar 19th 2012)

They are able to reproduce at a very young age, but I can't remember what is properly 'adult'. Somewhere between 3 and 6 months I think.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2012 10:21pm (Mar 22nd 2012) edited

I thought as much - just because I'm pretty sure Okto is beginning to lazy-up and settle down! Banjo tried to incite a playfight the other night and pulled out loads of Oktie's fur!! Okt didn't half squeal, and I gave him such a cuddle after that :smile:

Photos from last night's play session - the first two you can see the size difference between them!
      wash6.jpg
      wash7.jpg
      wash5.jpg
      wash8.jpg
      wash9.jpg
      wash10.jpg
      wash11.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2012 11:34pm (Mar 22nd 2012)

They are beautiful! They look near enough fully grown to me Red. With boys you have to be careful that their hormones don't take over as they age. I know of people that have had sibling boys that have suddenly started fighting and despite trying all the simple solutions the only thing to prevent it was neutering.

Then they get fat and lazy!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2012 3:17am (Mar 23rd 2012)

beautiful boys:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2012 11:25pm (Mar 23rd 2012)

My first boys, when I was no older than 10, used to fight occasionally, but oh my did they love each other!! One time they had to be separated (it was when one had to have a tumour removed, which was a complete success! :smile: ) and we got one out for playtime as usual. He could tell his brother was back (can't remember if it was Charles or Sydney!) and ran over to the small ledge the cage was on, and jumped up repeatedly, banging his head on the stone!!

We kept trying to distract him, but nothing worked. In the end we put them in together, and they spent the entire time snuggled sleeping together. They missed each other so much!
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2012 11:18pm (Mar 24th 2012)

That's so sweet Red! I do love to see animals that love each other sooooo much!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2012 11:14am (Mar 25th 2012)

What an image the dear little rat jumping up desperate to get to his buddy:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2012 11:56am (Mar 25th 2012)

We were horrified haha! He was just bashing his head repeatedly against the stone trying to get to his brother, and we couldn't stop him! :rolling:

They loved each other so much those boys, for all they squabbled :smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2012 10:20pm (Apr 9th 2012) edited

I haven't posted pics of the boys in aaaaages!! So here are some pics from their Easter treat, some cereal and dog kibble in an easter egg box :tooth:
      choc7.jpg
      choc8.jpg
      choc13.jpg
      choc14.jpg
      choc15.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2012 10:33pm (Apr 9th 2012) edited

And of them playing out tonight :)
      choc4.jpg
      choc5.jpg
      choc6.jpg
      choc9.jpg
      choc10.jpg
      choc12.jpg
      choc16.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 11:49pm (Apr 10th 2012)

It's lovely to see them, and I'm glad you've let Lyle out of the cage too! :face-smile:

Takes me back every time I see them - they have grown loads! Nice 'sausage' body shape - perfect figure for a rat!
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 12:10pm (Apr 11th 2012)

Hi boys, ( all 3 of you) so adventurous and just sweet.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 12:31pm (Apr 11th 2012)

Thanks Kate - Lyle keeps saying Okto is fat and I keep telling him he's wrong! :tooth:

Lyle also says that he doesn't have a sausage body, hahahaha!! :rolling:

TM, certainly adventurous! So adventurous Okto fell down the toilet last night and had to be rescued!! It was hilarious! Lyle fished him out and we gave him a bath afterwards...but he very much did look like a drowned rat :tooth:

I have pics of him all soggy and dishevelled that I will put up later...we had to stand with him underneath the fan heater until he was dry! :smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 12:33pm (Apr 11th 2012)

oh my god keep the lid bolted down please!!! who left it up???....naughty phantom lid leaver upper:face-devil-grin: glad you were there to dry and fluff him up again.
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 4:52pm (Apr 11th 2012) edited

Hahahaha it was Lyle's fault, I was in the shower! :)

We usually have it down so Lyle can sit on it and play with them, but this time he was sat on the floor with them so the seat got left up! Apparently Okto did very well though and had his legs sprawled wide to keep mostly above the water!! :smile:

Here he is, our poor little sewer rat :rolling:
      choc18.jpg
      choc20.jpg
      choc19.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 11:13pm (Apr 11th 2012)

Poor Okto! Hope the loo was clean - bleugh!!! He doesn't look any the worse for his unplanned swim. None of my rats ever liked water - we tried all of them with having a swim but they didn't like it. They did, however, like paddling in water fishing for frozen peas and corn in the summer. Kept them nice and cool!
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 7:41pm (Apr 12th 2012)

Oh I felt sooo sorry for him! :laugh:

Lyle just plucked him out sopping wet haha but no he doesn't seem any worse for wear! It's their clean out night tonight...my parents are looking after them whilst we're away on holiday, who knows how that will go! :P
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2012 4:41pm (Apr 22nd 2012)

I have a cute video of the rats to put up at some point...they have changed so much after us not seeing them for a week! They're even bigger and Okto's darker patch on his head has faded, it's very pale now and his rear end is white!

I made a fun puzzle feeder today, suspended an old toy of Pearls' from the roof and put food and treats in it, so they had to either stand and get it from below or lean down from the platform above. It was funny watching them. Banjo didn't have a clue what was going on whereas Okto got the goodies from below and above...then Banjo stole the food of him and he had to get it again! :smile:

I'll put the video up soon, it's very cute.
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 3:09pm (May 1st 2012) edited

Behold, the cutest pic ever!!

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 10:59pm (May 1st 2012)

Yes Red, it certainly is!
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2012 4:21pm (May 2nd 2012)

Captures their personality too haha! Okto looks a bit of a fat blob...it's just the angle, he's muscular really! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2012 3:53am (May 15th 2012)

aw sweet! look at those widdle 'hands'.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2012 6:48pm (May 16th 2012)

Haha just looked again, Okto looks like a furry ball in that photo :rolling: The rats are well and truly Lyle's pets...they like to pee on me, although Okto is definitely *mine* and my snuggle baby :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2012 11:29pm (May 16th 2012)

If they pee on you it's because they love you. You are claimed as theirs!
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2012 5:36pm (May 17th 2012)

Well I wish they wouldn't!! And there's no need to pee on my laptop or book, that's mine not theirs':rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2012 9:08pm (May 17th 2012)

Nope, it's all theirs. Everything. You might own them (though they'll debate that and pee on each other!) but the rest of the world belongs to the rat. :rat:
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 3:27pm (May 18th 2012) edited

Haha I didn't realise that rat squiggled it's whiskers! :bigsmile:

Sniffing somewhere good to pee...!

Photobucket

Eating a cornflake (he just looks chunky when he's eating I swear!)

Peek-a-boo!

Banjo looking huuuge!

Showering me with kisses

Photobucket

Okto proving he isn't fat!!

And Banjo looking like a little lost boy :smile:

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 10:07pm (May 18th 2012)

Your boys don't look at all fat - from these photos they look a healthy body weight and very handsome!!!!

(I've said it before and I'll say it again - I miss having rats!)
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 7:18am (May 20th 2012)

Me too Kate even though I have never had any:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 9:47am (May 20th 2012)

I'm surprised at how much of a 'Lyle pet' these two have ended up being, but he is absolutely smitten with them! Thanks Kate, I think it's hard because Okto's bigger, in size and weight, than his brother so we have a tendency to joke that he's fat...when realistically he's just different!
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 3:59pm (May 20th 2012)

They are all such characters, particularly when stimulated like your two are. I'd like some, but i think Tuppence would do her worst; she brought Eric a rat in for his tea the other day and left it by his chair. Ungrateful s*d threw it out on the coal shovel...
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2012 12:08am (May 21st 2012)

Eww!!! I know a few people that have rats and cats (I did!) and provided they were kept an eye on everything was OK. My two cats were 'mature' so not that interested in prey anyway. When the rats are in a cage the cat comes off worst - they stick a nose or paw on the cage and the rat bites. Rat 1 - Cat 0!
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2012 12:00pm (May 22nd 2012) edited

We have a hunting dog (so very high prey drive) and loads of animals...Ron used to live in the living room on the floor, and in the early days Kasper would paw, scratch and jump on his cage, and he weighs 20kg!

If the rat cage is on the floor he still gets very excited, but the rats put up with him and usually we keep them up high.

I felt so guilty leaving them alone at the new house last night!!
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2012 11:41pm (May 22nd 2012)

They probably invited all the wildies in and had a party!!! As long as a rat has food, water, and rat company it's happy. They'll be pleased to see you when you get there - absence makes the heart grow fonder after all!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2012 2:07am (May 25th 2012)

Red, I hope all your critter adjust to their new home surrounding quickly. I'm sure your boys did just fine for the one night they were alone. Kate's right..they probably had a big party.:rat:
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 11:00am (Jun 12th 2012) edited

You were right - they didn't even sulk the next night, just stalked us around the cage desperate for company!! I have lots of ratty pics and a video to put up...when we first moved in and it was unbearably hot, we gave them a pea pool to fish in...you were right Kate they enjoyed it! :smile:

I say they, Okto worked out immediately how to get the peas, and Banjo just stole them off him!! :laugh:

First, pea fishing pics:
      move7.jpg
      move8.jpg
      move9.jpg
      move11.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 11:04am (Jun 12th 2012) edited

And this is them playing in Kasper's bedroom whilst the dog was outside, it's become their new playroom! They adore hiding under the shelves, climbing them and hiding amongst the clothes...not sure how keen I am on that, but since when did I have a say in where they go?! :tooth:
      rat2.jpg
      rat3.jpg
      rat4.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 12:09am (Jun 13th 2012)

I used to keep a small cat litter tray (unused of course!) for pea fishing in hot weather. With just a small amount of water in the bottom and lots of frozen peas and corn they could stand in it, keep cool, and eat peas! Happy rats! They are fantastic boys and I'm glad they're owning the whole house!
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 12:43am (Jun 13th 2012)

A pea pool how cool....no pun there!
    What happy boys they look indeed.
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 6:19am (Jun 13th 2012)

They look like they are having great fun with the pea Pool, Red..that is a good idea for hot weather.
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 5:33pm (Jun 13th 2012)

Must be like ducking for apples!
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 9:09pm (Jun 13th 2012)

They seemed to like it, although I was surprised that they fished the peas out with their 'hands' and not their mouths!

Kate, they very much own the house! Lyle is trying to devise a way to block the bed off in the bedroom so they can't get under it, so they can have a bigger playroom...their recall is iffy at best :laugh:
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 11:10pm (Jun 13th 2012)

It's like us bobbing for apples. Yes, we're supposed to use our mouth as part of the game, but it's so much easier to pick an apple up. Same goes for the peas!! My girls would pick the frozen corn out first, and they used to 'shell' the peas and leave the translucent outer of the pea. Do your boys do that?
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 12:27pm (Jun 14th 2012) edited

Haha, funny you should say that, as whenever Okto got a pea, Banjo would steal it and Okto would just be left with the shell, nibbling it and looking very sad! :laugh:
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 11:50pm (Jul 4th 2012)

Haven't posted photos of the boys for ages so thought I'd try take some pics tonight...not a chance! They were whizzing about everywhere although I did manage to get a few semi-decent ones - mainly when they were eating or washing! :tooth:

Okto washing and looking cute - shame I cut the end of his whiskers off!

Photobucket

Looking unimpressed that I am stalking him with a camera :rolling:

Photobucket

Banjo peeking over the back of the couch to see what all the fuss is about

Photobucket

He moved to quick for a good photo but it's a nice snap of his shiny shiny fur!

Cuddles :heart:

Photobucket

"Okay, I'll stay still in exchange for food..."

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 11:53pm (Jul 4th 2012)

And, for some giggles, do you recognise these two tiny tots?! :rolling:

Photobucket

He always did like peeking around the back of the couch!!

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 11:58pm (Jul 4th 2012)

Rats (to me at least) are one of those animals that stay cute their whole life! Banjo is still so shiny, and Okto has really 'roaned' out hasn't he! Lovely boys!!
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2012 8:50pm (Jul 13th 2012)

Lyle's brother really surprised both of us by loving the rats! Joe won't go anywhere near them, haha! But nah, he loved them, and didn't even mind at all when they pee'd all over him :rolling:

Photobucket

Okto was feeling very posey last night!

Photobucket

Banjo is always harder to take photos of

Whereas Okto is easy :P

Photobucket

It's funny though, because Lyle's brother is quite...not scared, but just doesn't like a lot of animals. He doesn't see the appeal in a lot of pets. But he really really liked the rats, more than a dog I think as he doesn't like the walking side of a dog :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2012 11:07pm (Jul 13th 2012)

Rats are usually likened to dogs except easier to care for. They're trainable, friendly, intelligent, have a tail and whiskers, will lick you, talk to you - a tiny dog in a cage that you don't have to walk. Perfect!
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2012 9:53pm (Jul 15th 2012)

Exact same with mice - only they need an even smaller cage :)

I used to call Bam my little dog, seeing as we had him pre-Kasper (a time I can't imagine now :gasp: ) ...I do think I like mice a lot more than rats though :smile: I think I always have, really...although my first pair of rats, they will always be very special to me, and I love my boys now. Have you ever thought of having a mouse / mice Kate?
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2012 12:05am (Jul 16th 2012)

I remember having mice when I was small - early infant school age - but not since. Hadn't really thought of it - didn't think they were as friendly as rats. I didn't really intend to have rats - I gained Patrick because Danny and Rach weren't allowed pets in their first flat. I still have my rat cage but not sure I'll ever have them again. They deserve a lot of attention which I'm not sure I could spare now the grandkids are bigger, and I get so emotionally attached that it's heartbreaking when they die ... which they do far too soon.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2012 10:42pm (Jul 16th 2012) edited

Mice tend to die even younger than rats, which really sucks. They're so adorable you can't help but fall in love with them...and then all of a sudden they've hit old age :(

Male mice tend to be more needier if of attention if you keep them on their own, which is recommended. Although all my females were always very friendly too!

The boys enjoyed checking out their two new bird toys tonight :smile:

Photobucket

That's one of the first things I've hung on the cage roof as the bars are much bendier and I was worried about them snapping...but if a rat cage can't handle the weight of two rats there's something very wrong there so I added a few stuff!

Photobucket
    Their cage looks kinda bare at the moment...they have loads of hanging things but none of them are very big! I might dangle toilet roll across to entertain them, or cook some spaghetti...

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2012 12:00am (Jul 17th 2012)

Tissues!!! My girls loved to take tissues and make a nest from them. They would add more and more each day, then clean out day I would take them all out and give them more! Then again, I think that's a girl thing.

Haven't they got a ladder from shelf to floor? I had one of those plaited rope bridges (greenish thing, top right of cage) and I don't think they ever stepped foot on it.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2012 5:04pm (Jul 17th 2012)

They have a rope bridge (left) and two wooden perch branches (right). The rope bridge is their hammock, they sleep in it together every night, they adore it! :rolling:

I string toilet roll all across the cage and wrap it around the bars and they love to tear that down.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2013 2:33pm (Jun 30th 2013)

Okto escaped from his cage last night! :gasp:

He's officially thin enough to fit through the bars of the cage near the door! He had a great night, bless him, before we caught him and returned him to his cage. We've tied string around the place he escaped to try prevent it from happening again. He's a little so-so isn't he :smile: :heart:
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2013 5:30pm (Jun 30th 2013)

• CommentTimeJun 30th, 2013 5:58pm (Jun 30th 2013)

I hope he doesn't come across a gap in the skirting or floorboards when he's out and about! I remember Molly escaping one night. After frantic searching the next day, convinced she'd come across a cat and been murdered, I finally found her in a shoe, curled up asleep in the toe and completely unaware of my panic!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2013 1:32pm (Jul 2nd 2013)

Posted By: chief chickenBut what if he gnaws through the string? Little devil - is he tired after his night out?

He was shattered! He gets tired after 15 minutes out his cage these days bless him!

And hopefully he won't chew through it, we've woven the string so he'd have to chew through about 100 different pieces in order to get out :smile:

Aw that's too cute Kate! I bet you couldn't stay angry with her!!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2013 6:33pm (Jul 2nd 2013)

Rats have beautiful sleepy faces don't you think?! Cute as any furry baby, so no, I didn't stay angry!!