• CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 3:04pm (Jan 19th 2012)

Sorry about the lack of updates, no reason other than we've had a hectic last few weeks / months!

The girls are still quite happy in the coop - they've been frozen, blown by gale force winds and rained on but they've weathered the err... weather and are still with us, thank god!

Happy to see that the forum is going from strength to strength and it's you our users which are to thank for this - it's becoming a great resource for everything chickeny from general keeping tips to care and emergency info, as well as having plenty of discussions with nothing to do with hens. :-)

The following might sound like sales spiele but it's true I promise!

In other news, my dad is a heavy smoker and is always getting hassled by us to stop, he promised before he retired that he would when he finished work (it was the stress at work, see?)

Anyway, I'm sure you can guess, but now he's retired he smokes even more of the things than ever, probably because he has more free time on his hands!

We're concerned not only for his health but my mum's and it upsets my mum too because of the redecorating due to nicotine stains, their grandkids don't like to go due to the smell and the smoke gives Helen asthma when we visit etc etc.

So I've just bought him an electronic cigarette which apparently is a lot cleaner and safer whilst still giving him the nicotine he craves whilst he's "cutting down" (yeah right).

A few of the people here at work have bought them and reviews have been positive (plus someone gave me a discount code that reduces the full kit's price from £39.99 to £9.99!)

If anyone wants to try one (and apparently the kit you get is the equivalent of 5 packs of cigs for £9.99, plus you can buy refills cheaply), just go to the e-cig website and when checking out enter the discount code "NYRS" for £30 off.

Let us know how it works out for you in the forum or by email!
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 3:57pm (Jan 19th 2012)

Bet you anything he doesn't use it the pleb... :tooth:

That's some serious discount though!
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 5:33pm (Jan 19th 2012)

The nicotine patches are good; you stick three of them over yer gob. I hope he keeps up his good intention; it drives me mad when I see people with healthy lungs b*ggering them up!
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2012 9:44pm (Jan 19th 2012)

My hubby died of lung cancer some years ago.
    When he was given the diagnosis he just said he was expecting that, but no regrets, he'd enjoyed every one!

Hope all you smokers give this a try. Not a lot to lose (except you won't enjoy any more of them).
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2012 6:13pm (Jan 20th 2012)

Leonard Cohen said he hopes he reaches 80 (he's 78) as he intends to take up smoking again then...!
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2012 11:21pm (Jan 20th 2012)

I think the sad thing is he's not just affecting his own health (which at the end of the day is his choice) but that of his wife and family. I remember one of our stop smoking advisors telling me a man had popped in to an 'open day' thing where they had one of the machines that measures the chemicals in your breath and gauges how many you smoke. He had his young son and daughter with him (both under 7). Of course, they wanted to try it too. He was horrified when he discovered his daughter, who had been sitting in the front of the car on the way there, had the same reading as someone who smokes 15 a day. Her smaller lungs were impacted far more by the cigarette he'd smoked on the way there. Telling your dad that wouldn't make a blind bit of difference though - smokers are selfish when it comes to their addiction (which is what it is) and until they decide they WANT to stop smoking, nothing will make them quit. After all this time I doubt he will, but it's not unheard of, and I really hope your purchase will help and encourage him to make that final step.

Perhaps your mom should insist on him going outside for every cigarette!
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2012 12:02pm (Jan 21st 2012)

My other Grandad 'tried' many times to stop...the only thing that made him stop in the end was being diagnosed with lung cancer. He died when I was 13.

Thanks to that I've never touched a cigarette, and I don't ever want to.
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2012 3:53pm (Jan 21st 2012)

Kate, that's a terrible story; I bet that dad never smoked in front of his kids again. Or at least, I hope he didn't...
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2012 11:21pm (Jan 22nd 2012)

I really don't know, but I hope it brought it home to him the damage he was doing to his kids. On one of the training days we all had a go with the equipment (I am actually a trained stop smoking advisor, though I've never practiced and wouldn't know where to start now!!) and one lady gave a low positive reading. The trainer asked her if she had ever smoked, did her hubby or any of the family, or a colleague. The answer was no to everything. Turned out she cycled to work each day and it was the car fumes that she'd breathed in from being in traffic!
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2012 6:02pm (Jan 23rd 2012)

Yes, you can understand cyclists in cities wearing masks when you hear something like that!