• CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 12:32pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Hello

I'm a new member, thank you to Neil.

My name is Karen, my user name is Kit.

I have read the information available to newcomers to this forum but I still have a question about lesser egg production.

I bought 4 chickens 2 weeks ago and they seemed to lay an egg each every other day. A few days later I introduced another 2 chickens to the coop and immediately they started to fight. I was advised to separate them for a couple of days but put them all to bed together as they don't fight in their sleeping quarters. They have now settled down.

I thought that I would get 3 eggs a day but for the last couple of days I'm only getting one and I have found one that had been broken.

The chickens are lively, look very healthy and they are eating and drinking.

I have sprinkled the mite powder in their bedding.

I notice they prune themselves late afternoon but I've not seen any mites.

Any idea on the lesser egg production? could it be the upset at adding 2 more chickens?

I ordered a chicken book which arrived last week but it only had about 6 pages regarding chickens, the other pages were about other types of bird so I sent it back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Karen (kit)
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 1:19pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Hi Karen,

Welcome to hencam and all that :)

You've got 2 things that will have caused what you are seeing...

Firstly (and the main reason), is the move to a new place, new housing - it's a big event to a little chicken and the upheaval will disrupt the hen's egg laying.

Secondly, the introduction of chickens causes a re-establishing of the pecking order (which you've found out can mean just that!) as all the hens need to sort out who's the boss etc. This could I guess affect egg output until it all settles down, but the most likely cause is the move.

How long it will last? A few days to a few weeks I would guess, they'll soon be laying again I wouldn't worry too much.

As to the broken egg, make sure there is a deep layer of straw or sawdust in the nest box, and collect eggs before any heavy-footed chicken can stamp on it accidentally! If the eggs are getting eaten, then try make the nest box darker (helps if the hens can't see the eggs in the first place, and they like a nice dark place to lay!), and again, try and find out who is the culprit and collect the eggs before they get chance!

Hope some of this helps!
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 1:31pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Thanks ever so much Neil, you have put my mind at ease. I sometimes leave a little vent open, if it is very warm, to let in some fresh air and this is just above the laying quarters so that could explain the broken egg and the fact that it wouldn't be dark and the advice on the move seems perfect!

I'll go and close the vent.

Thanks again,

Karen
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 1:38pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Any change in living circumstances will throw them off-track egg wise for a few days; bigger changes such as new flock members or new housing may take a while longer to recover, just until they get their bearings! :tooth:
    Also, this is a handy thread to have a read through too :)

Enjoy your girls - and we love to see photos on here! :tooth:
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 4:11pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Thanks for the info Red, I did read this link before I posted but thanks again.

I do enjoy my girls, this is so new to me and I love every minute.

I have 3 cats as well, however, I did check that they would get on with each other before I purchased the chicks. The cats don't seem to be bothered with the chickens.

Neil, I closed the vent and went to look 10 minutes ago and I have 2 eggs!!!!

Karen
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 5:23pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

We thought ours (free rangers)weren't laying, but found 8 eggs in the open rabbit hutch!
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 11:13pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Being a cat owner, I suspect the chickens will be in charge in the household now! I often wonder if the chicken looks at the cat and thinks "hmm, that fur would be so soft in my nest, and I could do with a draught excluder for the door..." before pecking at the cat's tail!
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 12:19pm (Apr 4th 2012)

Milly was once on my lap sunbathing, and Megan the cat from the garden next to us came for a fuss...Milly was soooo not impressed! What made it even worse was that Megan was flicking her tail and it was hitting Milly in the face!!! It was hilarious, and everytime it happened Milly would let out a little disgruntled noise :rolling:
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 4:37pm (Apr 4th 2012)

The chickens are so new to us that we haven't got as far as having one sit on my knee.

I've just cleaned the coop in the freezing weather and snow. Got another 2 eggs though.

I've just made them some mash potato with broccoli, carrots and cabbage.

They get better fed than zz9zzzalpha:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 7:52pm (Apr 4th 2012) edited

Posted By: KitI have a cat called Pebbles and he would hate me to pet any other animal except himself.

Same with my dog - and he gets fed better than Lyle too!! :laugh:
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 11:18pm (Apr 4th 2012)

My rats always got fed better than the rest of the family - lots of healthy veggies, fruit, oats, etc etc. Family get chips and micro-meals! LOL!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2012 6:45pm (Apr 5th 2012)

I laugh at the TV ad re catfood that 'tastes like you made it yourself'. If it did, there's no way my cat would touch it.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2012 6:01pm (Apr 8th 2012)

If I'd made it, it wouldn't have fish in. Bleugh!!