• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2012 9:25am (Apr 6th 2012)

Now I think this is a daft question but Karen (kit) was wondering if when the hens got to know and trust you more, through touching and interaction, would they sit on your knee and not poop! Karen would love to leave the back door open and let the girls wander in and out but I don't think hens appreciate Axminster carpet. My answer to her was they wouldn't care where they poop they're mobile fertilisers! If anyone can prove me wrong I'll happily stand corrected:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2012 9:56am (Apr 6th 2012) edited

Oooh, that's an interesting one!

For chickens pooping really is an automatic thing, they don't think about doing it...when you're pooing potentially as often as once every 5 minutes I guess you wouldn't! :tooth:

However I've never had a problem with chickens pooping on me whilst on my knee (once as a very tiny chick Milly was perched on my shoulder and pooed all down my back, but that was all!) and once she pooed on my friends leg, but that was over a course of six years, so not too bad really! One time when I was holding her she started wriggling and acting up, and when I put her down she pooed immediately :smile:

We also used to bring Milly and occasionally Tilly and Penny into the house too, and accidents were very rare. We solved this problem by either having cleaning spray and a floor cloth at the ready! Or by putting old towels down.

If you bring a chicken inside and she's sitting happily on your lap, it's quite rare she will poo right then and there. Much more likely she will get down and poo on the floor!!

As far as I know, no research has been done into litter training chickens. They are highly intelligent though and can be taught 'tricks'; I recently taught my almost 9 year old girl to peck a CD repeatedly using clicker training! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2012 8:06pm (Apr 6th 2012)

They also make diapers (nappies I think you all call them) for chickens. A lot of people I know have "house chickens". I've held a lot of chickens and I don't recall one of them pooing on me. Your wife could also try wearing an old apron while she's holding them.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2012 8:44pm (Apr 6th 2012)

Posted By: LynnWThey also make diapers (nappies I think you all call them) for chickens.

You're kicking my bucket!!!!!:scared::scared::scared:
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2012 7:28am (Apr 7th 2012)

Posted By: chief chickenYou're kicking my bucket

No... they make them.
      ChickenDiapers.jpg
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2012 8:31am (Apr 7th 2012) edited

They also make diapers (nappies I think you all call them) for chickens.

OMG:wha: and no disrespect by this:whorship: but Only in America would they come up with an idea like that:lol:
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2012 3:32pm (Apr 7th 2012)

I almost bought Milly some chicken nappies once so she could come chill in my room with me for significant lengths of time...we measured her and I chose the pattern I wanted and everything, I don't know why we didn't in the end :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2012 6:29pm (Apr 7th 2012)

Dear God, I hope Eric never reads this...:D
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2012 6:54am (Apr 8th 2012)

ha ha ha ha brilliant! Just what I need a good chuckle!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2012 6:55am (Apr 8th 2012)

The first time I saw a chicken diaper, it was on a British website..it's not an American invention. Red always wore an Apron when she was cuddling Milly hen..Milly was such a darling girl..still miss her so much.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2012 6:56am (Apr 8th 2012)

me too Lynn
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2012 6:24pm (Apr 8th 2012)

I used to wrap it all the way around so it covered my bum so it didn't get muddy, as well as my knees.
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2012 10:39pm (Apr 8th 2012)

So really it was Red who wore poo protection, not the chicken...:rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2012 10:16am (Apr 9th 2012)

Yeah...well, it was protection from their feet too. Chickens tramp through anything, I can't count the number of times Milly jumped up with a foot coated in runny poo...nice :glare:
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 6:16am (Apr 10th 2012)

Posted By: RedMilly jumped up with a foot coated in runnypoo...nice

Oh where is Diane when this subject comes up:rofl:
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 11:20am (Apr 10th 2012) edited

Karen thought the Hens were looking a bit cold and wet:snow: so she covered the Kitchen floor with newspaper and an old sheet on top, in case they pooped, put on the Halogen heater:fire: and let them in. They really love the heater and their tails are all fanned out, you can see a few of our cats watching and wondering why those things are on their territory but they are too scared to do anything about it:_oh_really:. You can see the girls in this short video clip on Photobucket

• CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 4:45pm (Apr 10th 2012)

Your cats looked seriously unimpressed, Zizz. But the girls were enjoying themselves! (I'm going to call you Zizz because I can't cope with your actual name, and because the z on my keyboard is seriously underused.)
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 5:02pm (Apr 10th 2012)

Ahahaha one of them was sunbathing!! Plopped on the floor tilted, tail fanned, wing out...quality :laugh:
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 10:34pm (Apr 10th 2012) edited

Posted By: chief chickenI'm going to call you Zizz because I can't cope with your actual name

Ian will do fine :swingin:
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 10:38pm (Apr 10th 2012)

what's wrong with the HTML on this site?:rant_red2:
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 11:02pm (Apr 10th 2012) edited

How so? Check you have the 'button' next to Html checked and not Text. Certain html codes won't work because we had some rather, erm, enthusiastic members a year or so ago who went a little crazy using annoying html codes...so I think my dad disabled some :smile:

But bold, italics, underlined and scrolling all work :P
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2012 11:40pm (Apr 10th 2012)

The sunbather is soooo cute! They look very happy in there - perhaps they're considering a permanent move ...!

'Some' of your cats - how many do you have? They didn't look happy - the black and white one looked ready to challenge if only someone wasn't holding him back :wink: What's his name? I'm trying to think of a new name for Meow Meow (now that I've informed hubby he's staying!) but need inspiration.
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 12:10pm (Apr 11th 2012) edited

Posted By: RedHow so? Check you have the 'button' next to Html checked and not Text.

When I reply to a quote, and I'm sure I have the HTML button checked, the HTML tags still appear but when I went on today its working i.e its embedded
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 12:12pm (Apr 11th 2012)

Its working now though:crazy::woohoo:
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 12:29pm (Apr 11th 2012)

Awesome ^__^
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 3:25pm (Apr 11th 2012) edited

Posted By: Kateb'Some' of your cats - how many do you have? They didn't look happy - the black and white one looked ready to challenge if only someone wasn't holding him back. What's his name? I'm trying to think of a new name for Meow Meow (now that I've informed hubby he's staying!) but need inspiration.

We have 3:cat: Bevan 18ish, Pebbles 5ish and Peaches 5ish. The Black and white one is called Max and he lives next door but wants to live with us as they have 2 girls 8 & 6 and he gets more peace when he visits:cat2:. As for any of the Cats challenging the Hens:chicken_catch: - Ah! the cats would lose I've watched the cats go past the hens and they run past in fear of their lives:scared:. As for names we had a cat from kitten till he passed away aged 18:rip: called Nermal, If you dont know, Nermal is Garfields Nephew but I called him Nermal because he was Nearly Normal:rofl:
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2012 11:02pm (Apr 11th 2012)

Yes, cats seem to like the quiet life. Our 'moved-in' stray isn't around as much when the grandkids are here, but he's slowly getting used to them.

My cats (that I've had as an adult) have all been named after motorbike racers - Emmett is 17, Foggy 16, and we had Joey and Frankie too. But nothing seems to suit our stray. If I remember I'll upload a photo of him tomorrow. He loves TV, is very vocal (which is why he's out tonight!) and I would've said he wasn't the brightest cat I've ever met, but he managed to get himself a home and a ready supply of food so he's not that dumb! He does seem to like the lady cats so maybe I should call him Pepe (le Pew!)

Nermal is a great name! I didn't know that was the name of Garfield's nephew, it can be my 'fact of the day' tomorrow to share with everyone.
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 11:30am (Apr 12th 2012)

One of the Burmese kits I bred had a very sparse coat and appeared to be bald. We called him Piglet and surprised that the Registration folks accepted it amongst all the high faluting (sp?)names that are more usual - especially as our kennel name was of Pan Top (a very old name for the group of cottages we lived in)
    Another kit was called Beanbag as he was very floppy and didn't land on his feet. We kept that one and he was a beautiful mild mannered cat. My daughter now has his double and he has the same characteristics, the children in the street carry him draped over their arm like a rag. His name is Brown and they also have his brother Blue.
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2012 11:33pm (Apr 12th 2012)

I love their names - simple, descriptive, and to the point!

Caitlyn wants to call him Scooby Dooby Doo (the middle Dooby is very important too she said!) It's about the only name anyone's come up with that might suit him! (Yes, I know it was a dog, but he has some dog-like qualities!!)
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2012 1:48pm (Apr 16th 2012)

Loved reading about all your kitty names, made me a bit teary but still loved to read them.:face-crying::face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2012 11:05pm (Apr 16th 2012)

Perhaps in time you'll be found by another cat that needs a good home TM, but Thomas will always be irreplaceable. At rehoming we find people either go for something completely different or look for a cat just like the one they've lost.

We decided at the end of last week that we would go for the name Rutter (after Michael Rutter, who's been racing motorbikes for a very long time and is a Midlander - my brother knew his dad!) But it just doesn't suit him. Besides which, being brummies/black country it ends up being ru-er (ru- as in run, not ruth), the 't's don't get pronounced.

Am back to Meow Meow I'm afraid. Or The Squatter. Or Spare Cat. Or, as my eldest calls him, the sex pest. He thinks the old girls are his harem - they think he's a cheeky young whippersnapper and tell him so very vocally! Talking of which, he is still doing lots of talking - especially at 5am. Not fun. I'm going to feed him as late as I can tonight, and if that doesn't work will have to start putting him out. I'm exhausted!
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2012 10:32am (Apr 18th 2012) edited

back to Meow Meow

What about Cfer as in "C" fer cat!:rofl:
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2012 6:18pm (Apr 18th 2012)

Or Stevens, as in Cat Stevens, if he sings a lot?
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2012 11:13pm (Apr 18th 2012)

Cfer is very good - I really like that!!

I wanted to call him Steve (he looks like a steve!) but no one else likes it. Maybe I need to work on it the same way I got Danny's name.

I decided I liked Daniel for a name, so asked my 2 and a half year old "what shall we call the new baby?" He said "dunno" so I said "what about Daniel?" and then spent the next hour getting him to call the unborn one Daniel so that when we got home he told his dad he wanted to call the new baby Daniel or Danielle (we didn't know the sex in those days! LOL!!) To this day they still think Michael came up with Danny's name, when in reality it was me - a quarter of a century ago! (but the theory is sound, the grandkids are available - it's a challenge!!!) [evil laugh, sweep cape across lower face and disappear into the shadows]!