• CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2012 11:50pm (Apr 22nd 2012)

I had to have my sweet old Foggy put to sleep on Saturday morning. I knew she was constipated again, and was going to take her to the vet on Monday, but when I got up hubby said she'd pee'd all over the sofa and couldn't stop herself. She had also dripped some diarrhoea the night before, but I thought we could make it through the weekend.

This is where I cry while I type. The vet wanted to do another manual evacuation (enema) but her recovery was so slow after the last one, which was only about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I decided I couldn't put her through it again, but he said he couldn't euthanise there and then as he had other appointments so I'd have to take her back at 11.50. I was distraught when I got home, and decided I wanted to change my mind so phoned them. They said OK, but it couldn't be done until Monday, and said the vet had put on her records that the prognosis was very poor. I couldn't leave her like that all weekend and realised that it was my selfishness that wanted to put her through it again because I didn't want to let her go.

So I took her back for the appointment. The vet (who hadn't really helped with the decision at first) said that if it helped he thought I had made the right decision. I had got to spend the whole morning with her which was a bonus, and I held her while he administered the drug. She went very quickly and peacefully, but my heart was still screaming NO don't do it.

I am still in the long self-blame cycle (have already been through the blame-the-vet one). I miss her so much. I am finding it hard to go to bed at night as she would always get up in between us and stay there for about 20 mins having fuss from me. It was 'our' time and she never missed it. She would purr the whole time and that helped me to get to sleep. I hate going upstairs and looking at the empty bed. I am always the one that says quality of life is more important than quantity, but I miss her.

I love you Foggy. Sleep soundly my sweet girl.
      IMG_1381.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2012 6:21am (Apr 23rd 2012)

Oh, Kate..I'm so sorry to hear you lost your dear Foggy. I know how hard it must have been for you to let her go. :face-crying:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2012 3:26pm (Apr 23rd 2012)

Ah Kate I'm sorry to hear that it's always such a difficult decision to make :heart: But you did the best thing for her and she always received such love from you :bighug:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2012 5:26pm (Apr 23rd 2012)

I'm so sorry, Kate, I know how much you loved her. But she knew it too; you gave her a wonderful life. :heart:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2012 8:54pm (Apr 23rd 2012)

Thanks everyone. I meant to say that I chose that picture because it shows what she was really like - loads of fur spread as far and wide on our bed as possible, cute but with one eye on you all the time with that "I'm watching you ..." look in it. I know it was the right thing to do, but what I wouldn't give to have one more evening with her. :heart: :cat2:
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2012 9:23pm (Apr 24th 2012) edited

Hehe she looks very relaxed and happy, you can see it in her face - very huggable too! :)
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 8:51am (Apr 25th 2012)

oh Kate dear girl I feel so much for you and am having a good cry with you.:heart: I am so sorry about Foggy your much loved kitty she was a beautiful girl and had a wonderful caring mum, she was lucky indeed. As hard as it is you did the right thing. You are right quality of life is important for us all.
    It is 5 weeks since we said goodbye to our Thomas and I still get teary every day.
    It will be a sad time for you but you can get through it, just allow your self to experience the grief, it's ok to do that. Our pets bring such joy to our lives don't they?

much love and big hugs
    Julie:bighug:
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 10:46pm (Apr 25th 2012)

She definitely wasn't huggable Red - if you tried that you paid with skin and blood!!!! But she gives the impression and that was always enough for me.

Thanks Julie. Strangely enough having Meow Meow around is really helping. He is completely different to Foggy but fills the gap of a cat that needs care and attention. Mind you, I wasn't thinking that when I let him stay in last night (the weather is AWFUL here!) forgetting that his 'alarm' goes off at 5am and there's no shutting him up. Tried attention, letting him out for a wee, food, and in the end gave up and got up! Was in work real early today!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 12:21am (Apr 26th 2012)

Haha, those cats are the best! The cat Lyle's parents had before Nellie hated everyone in the family, and attacked them, all apart from Lyle! For no reason she loved Lyle; he didn't feed her or do anything special with her, she was just his! :smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 10:19pm (Apr 26th 2012)

It seems that Meow Meow has chosen my hubby as his favourite. They were bumping heads and everything today! That's OK though, I like having him around, but he isn't a replacement for Foggy - there never will be. I will choose another cat for it's own sake when I want one. Meow Meow liking hubby just means it's easier to persuade him to let the cat stay!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 10:00am (May 1st 2012)

He he good thinking Kate I like it. How are you feeling?:bighug:
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 6:33pm (May 1st 2012)

Kate, it sounds like meow Meow knows which side his bread is buttered on, by choosing your hubby..very clever of him.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 10:57pm (May 1st 2012)

I'm OK thanks TM. Even though I will miss her every day, I know it was the right thing to do for her. She was probably in pain or discomfort most of the time, and just seemed really miserable.

Foggy had a real talent for making hubby turn over when he was snoring and it came naturally - if only I knew how to teach it I could make every cat at rehoming desirable to the average woman! Meow Meow has helped, as has being really busy at work and tired from lack of sleep (thanks MM!) I wouldn't have chosen to have another cat now, but sometimes that's just how it goes.

How are you doing TM? Are you coming to terms with losing Thomas?
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2012 6:21pm (May 7th 2012)

I just wanted to close off this thread with a picture of my sweet girl, so that in years to come anyone looking back will see just who she was.
      IMG_0072.1.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2012 3:36am (May 15th 2012)

Beautiful photo Kate, love the way she plopped herself down on your sewing. Hope it was still ok to comment here.
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2012 10:59pm (May 15th 2012)

Yes, it's a typical cat thing isn't it - sitting right in the middle of something you're trying to do!

Yes it's still OK to comment, I just thought it'd be nice to put a picture on the thread too. I would just love to have her sat on my lap now. :face-crying: