• CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2012 11:41am (Apr 24th 2012)

Hi all.

I've had my hens now for about 6 weeks and I am now, on average, getting 5 eggs per day from 6 hens.

However, my Sandy seems to be sneezing these past few days. I guess the obvious is that she has a acold but I'm not sure. She is eating and drinking but seems a little slower than the rest of the hens.

Can you give me any advice on what to do?

Karen
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2012 7:08pm (Apr 24th 2012)

How often are we talking about? Chickens can be quite sneezy animals, probably caused by dusty soil and bedding. My girls sneeze a fair bit...if there are no other symptoms and there's no discharge I wouldn't be too worried. If she's doing it repeatedly then there's some cause for concern.

Maybe buy some Poultry Spice, it's a general pick-me-up health booster in powder form, that you can mix in with a little water to their Layers Pellets. Adding some Apple Cider Vinegar could well help, and feeding a little plain yoghurt might be good too.
    Hopefully she will perk up soon! :)
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 7:44am (Apr 25th 2012)

About a week ago Sandy had what I would call a "Snot bubble":ack2:, I did mention it to Karen but she said I was being Gross:wha:, on one nostril but not seen any since.

Ian
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 12:05pm (Apr 25th 2012)

Thanks Red,

We bought a tonic to mix into their drinking water, 10ml to 4 1/2 litres of water.

Yesterday it was lovely and sunny and all the hens were having dust baths. Sandy seemed fine and was eating and not sneezing as much so hopefully she is on the mend.

Today, it is freezing and pelting with rain and I have 6 hens screaming at the back door to come in.... if only they were litter trained.

We'll probably have a heatwave tomorrow and then the day after 4 inches of snow, that is what we expect in this part of the world.
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 12:17pm (Apr 25th 2012)

I look forward to this predicted heat wave! ;)

Ah the dog is typing things with his face!!
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 4:33pm (Apr 25th 2012)

Go on, Kit, let 'em in for a warm! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2012 11:13pm (Apr 25th 2012)

Those cute liddul faces, and dripping wet feathers.

It's so tough for garden hens now that we're in the wettest drought on record!
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 1:43pm (Apr 26th 2012)

I know, their ickle faces are soooooooo sad, but I don't fancy the name of chief poopa scoopa on my carpet.

At least it is fine at the moment so they are wandering around the garden, sorry I mean mess pit, that is the only way I can describe it now.
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 5:47pm (Apr 26th 2012)

Haha, our three girls destroyed the garden within weeks...we meant to keep them confined, but then started letting them free-range...they killed all the grass and the entire garden turned into a bog. It was horrible. I had to go feed them etc before school, I took one step and slid all the way to the other side of the garden...I had to get to the coop using the conifer branches to keep my footing! :tooth:
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 6:58pm (Apr 26th 2012)

Oh bless, I know what you mean. I said it was fine earlier but now it is persisting it down!!!!!!!

Another question for all of you and I hope you can help me here.

My Hen book tells of things that can upset or be poisounous to my girls. I don't have anything growing that could upset them except for my Rhubarb, however, they tend to walk past it and leave it alone, I think Hens are quite clever birds really.

The question is that I give them spaghetti. I cook it and then add some tomato soup, they seem to scoff it down. I chop it into different sized pieces and I think they think they are worms.

I never believed that you would feed a hen spaghetti but the lady I bought them from said they love it. Is it good for them????????

I'm always spoiling them because I love them so much but I don't want to be harming them.

I give them lots of spinach leaves too - is this good? Ian and I have just bought some spinach seeds which we are growing in pots in the front garden, to give the seedlings a chance from the hens, and then we can pick the leaves and give them to them, is this okay?

Sorry for so many questions but I really do care for them, they are so lovely and so funny and soooooooo friendly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Karen
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 7:22pm (Apr 26th 2012)

Mine love spaghetti too, and it doesn't seem to hurt them. Not sure re spinach; isn't there a thread about spinach on here somewhere?
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 10:30pm (Apr 26th 2012)

I'm sure it's been mentioned recently CC but don't recall where.

Somewhere I think it was Red described her girls eating spaghetti - throwing it up in the air, fighting over it - sounds well worth the show!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2012 11:07pm (Apr 26th 2012)

Yeah, chickens loooove cooked spaghetti, as do rats! No harm in it either, just feed it as a treat and not a staple part of the diet. Same with spinach, a much appreciated treat and healthy too! :smile:
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2012 1:41pm (Apr 27th 2012)

Thanks everybody for all your help. I've put a pan of spaghetti on the boil.

The sun is shining at the moment, I must remember to take a picture of it so I don't forget what it looks like as the year progresses.
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2012 10:16pm (Apr 27th 2012)

Let us know what your girls thought of it!

Good idea on the photo - the sun is a scarce resource at the moment!
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2012 11:25am (Apr 30th 2012)

Well, they really do enjoy a bowl of spaghetti. As long as it isn't bad for them I do enjoy treating them.

It was 50 mile an hour winds and pelting with rain yesterday, the poor girls were wet through.

Can you believe it is 64 degrees today with blue sky and sunshine. I wonder whether I should get my snow boots out for tomorrow, you never know, it could well snow.
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2012 4:20pm (Apr 30th 2012)

It's absolutely crazy weather isn't it?! Apparently it's supposed to rain today at some point, boo!

We're terrible for treating our girls...we feed them too many naughty treats, like cream cakes haha! They've only had salad, spinach leaves and grapes recently so not too bad :smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2012 11:21pm (Apr 30th 2012)

I hate it when the wind and rain is really bad - I worry about Kitten and whether she's OK. I expect that she has places she knows she can hide - I think she's the only female stray around here so sort of has a monopoly on the area. The toms all fight but she seems to be OK. I wish she'd come inside. If I had a cat-flap I think she would, but we can't have one.

I feel for your poor hens Kit! Waterproof feathers can only do so much I suppose!
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 11:16am (May 1st 2012)

Red, I've always looked at the grapes in the supermarket and thought of the hens but I never bought them any because I didn't know whether they would be good for them.

My mum, before she passed away due to illness, had a little yorkshire terrier and mum used to feed her grapes because she loved them but we later found out that they were poisonous to dogs.

I'll buy some grapes now and see how they go on with them.

Kate, have you tried enticing kitten in with a plate of milk or food?

I have 3 cats and one visitor who lives next door but he thinks he lives with me.

Well, I was wrong about the snow, however, we are back to being wet and windy and that's on the inside!:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 11:25am (May 1st 2012)

I used to HATE when it was windy and rainy when I had long hair, because it made such a mess of it...and here I am growing it again, yay!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 11:10pm (May 1st 2012)

Yes, I try all the temptation routes with Kitten! I just think I'm going to have to be very VERY patient (not me at all!) and maybe as time goes on she'll realise that a house is warm and comfy and a much better option than sleeping under cars and bushes.
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2012 6:43pm (May 2nd 2012)

Red, I understand very well about your hair. For years I've wanted to grow mine really long and then when it got to shoulder length I got fed up with it and always had it cut. However, this time, I have perseveared. It is now 3 inches past shoulder length, even though it is getting on my nerves I just tie it up when I'm having a bad hair day which is quite often these days.:face-sad:

Kate, I am sooooo impatient myself, I have to have things done the day before, if that makes sense.:face-plain:
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2012 11:18pm (May 2nd 2012)

It makes perfect sense Kit! I am the same, but in rushing I always make mistakes so make the job in hand even longer. I thought as I got older I'd get some patience but no, it hasn't happened.
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 12:10am (May 3rd 2012)

My hair's at the horrible in-between stage between being really short and just long enough to straighten...seriously annoying. Especially as this stage lasts for months! That's one thing I love about short hair though, no brushing it, no waking up with bed hair, no worrying about hoods hats or wind... :smile: