• CommentTimeMay 8th, 2012 5:00pm (May 8th 2012)

Got by a fox last night.
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2012 11:07pm (May 9th 2012)

Oh CC I am so sorry. Poor Treacle. :face-crying:
    Sympathies to you too. Are you OK?
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2012 6:20am (May 10th 2012)

Oh no, CC...poor little Treacle! Deepest sympathy to you, CC. It's heartbreaking news.:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2012 1:24pm (May 10th 2012)

Sorry to hear that CC :heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2012 5:50pm (May 10th 2012)

I'm all right, ta. I know it's nature, but I would have felt better had the fox taken her as food rather than just killing and leaving her. But perhaps something disturbed it.
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2012 3:00pm (May 12th 2012)

Ugh, that's horrible. When a fox took Milly's three chicks the bodies were gone but the garden was covered in feathers :sad:
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2012 3:30am (May 15th 2012)

oh CC I know it's nature but crikey it's hard, sorry about dear Treacle.:heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2012 3:30pm (May 15th 2012)

Ta, Julie. I'm now waiting for the poxy RSPCA (who are "desperate" to home rabbits) to get back to me about rehoming a bonded pair. I rang last Wednesday, thinking I'd like to offer a home to rabbits who needed one. So I have waited nearly a week, and the person I spoke to initially said that even though I was vetted as suitable for a rabbit ages ago and nothing has changed, I still need a jobsworth with a clipboard to come round and tell me whether I'm suitable or not. And I KNOW they'll say the hutch is too small even though they'll only be in there overnight (it's 5 feet by 18/20 inches. They want 5' x 2'). Sigh So I could go to a petshop, get a British Giant and keep it in a matchbox and nobody would know. Grrr. And they haven't bothered to ring me back, which I hate. Sorry; this ought to be under Rant, didn't it? :)
    • CommentTimeMay 15th, 2012 10:47pm (May 15th 2012)

At Cat Protection, if someone's had a home visit and their circumstances haven't changed (i.e. they still live in the same house and a motorway hasn't been built outside the back door) they don't get re-vetted. They don't have enough staff to do that! I'm glad I cancelled my DD to the RSPCA.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2012 6:47pm (May 16th 2012) edited

Agh, that's so annoying CC :mad: You can see why people go to pet shops to get animals when rescues are often annoying, slow and unresponsive...hopefully they'll get back in touch at some point. Let us know if you have new bunnies heading your way :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2012 4:51pm (May 17th 2012)

I'm being vetted this weekend. I bet I'm unsuitable...I try to be! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2012 5:35pm (May 17th 2012)

Is there anywhere you could get them from otherwise?! We have a guinea pig rescue around here, I wonder if there's anything similar...

Good luck, hope it goes well :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 5:37am (May 18th 2012)

Posted By: chief chickenI'm being vetted this weekend. I bet I'm unsuitable...I try to be!

CC, you're too much girl...Waaahahaha:rollonfloorlaughing:
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 5:34pm (May 18th 2012)

Not really, there's not anywhere else. Unless I try a place out near Hurst; but I once said I'd have a rabbit from there then cancelled as on reflection I'd found the male a bit of a bully; they might hold it against me! I might end up with an English Giant in a matchbox yet!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 10:02am (May 20th 2012)

We really want a giant house rabbit one day...when me and my older cousin were about 7 my nana got us a giant white lop-eared rabbit. We called him Snowball, he was a miserable bugger but I expect I would be too being dragged around by two kids :bigsmile:

He moved into my parents' house when we moved to the house they're at now. We got a couple guinea pigs to live with him, and when he passed along came Cynthia and then Domino!
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 3:52pm (May 20th 2012)

Well, sure enough apparently the hutch is only big enough for 2 guinea pigs by RSPCA standards (4'6" x 18"). Now, where did I put that match box...?
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 6:48pm (May 20th 2012)

CC, so that means that they won't let you have one of their rabbits? You'd do better finding one on your own anyway.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2012 11:59pm (May 20th 2012)

I"m sure the pet shop will let you buy one for less than the re-homing fee. Some of these charities just don't look further than their tick-boxes. There must be another charity in your area doing bunnies - or what about gumtree or whatever it's called?
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2012 7:24pm (May 21st 2012)

Development; they will give me a bigger hutch if I reroof it, then I can have 2 buns.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2012 11:43am (May 22nd 2012)

oh that sounds more like it CC, good luck and glad to hear of your imminen arivals.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2012 12:05pm (May 22nd 2012)

Wow, I can't believe they tried to help you out - that's not like them!! :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2012 6:05pm (May 22nd 2012)

They're desperate to rehome rabbits, see. We're going to have to have the hutch in a different place if it's longer, though, as we have a huuuuuuge honeysuckle trunk in the way there.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2012 10:23pm (May 22nd 2012)

Wow..the RSPCA is going to do something nice??? Goodness..I may faint! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2012 11:38pm (May 22nd 2012)

I think you've shocked us all there CC! It's good to hear they are finally doing something right. Can you not put the hutch up, get the rabbits, then put the hutch in the back of the shed and bring yours back out?! Then, next time you want a rabbit, you just get it out again! Look forward to hearing all about your new additions when they arrive!
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 3:23pm (May 23rd 2012) edited

Kate, you are a wicked and unscrupulous woman with no conscience whatsoever. And that's a damn fine idea...:rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2012 11:23pm (May 23rd 2012)

Well, if they're going to be so jobsworth about it and not look further than their tick-box, you have to be creative!!! When Cats Protection do visits they have criteria but also know about giving some leaway. If someone is adopting an elderly, arthritic cat, then I'm sure the home is looked at differently to a home for a 6 month old kitten. Those rabbits will be so lucky ...
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2012 1:58am (May 25th 2012)

I just hope you get your new rabbit soon, CC. I know you are a great rabbit owner and you take good care of all your animals. I just wish you knew how to post pictures of them.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 10:47am (Jun 12th 2012) edited

Any update on your rabbit CC?

Just because we might have acquired a floppy-eared rescue of our own... :whistle: :face-angel:
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 5:13pm (Jun 12th 2012)

I'm waiting for LSE to get back from Greece in case they're a bit zippy and I need help catching them. I also have to wait until after I've paid for my holiday (Friday) because I'm not sure how much £££££££ I'll have left; work's a bit thin on the ground at the mo.
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 7:04pm (Jun 12th 2012)

I can see that, chasing Lenny around the patio or house is always a nightmare...Lyle is very ineffective as he 'doesn't want to scare' Lenny by blocking his path, which means Lenny just hides behind the bike, armchair, cabinet etc etc :laugh: