• CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 11:22am (Jun 12th 2012) edited

Couldn't remember where I usually put new pet threads, and you must all be getting sick of them now anyway haha! But I won't keep this one updated, I'll just put all the photos here now because there are a lot...I'll add Lenny's video later too but don't have much time now :smile:

Lenny was a very unexpected adoption...we were actually planning to get guinea pigs from the rescue not far away, but we went into a pet shop and there he was in a corner! He was 4.5 months old and the pet shop had taken him off his last owner who was terminally ill as a favour, and was asking for a small adoption fee for him...and we couldn't resist this face :smile:

Photobucket

He was in a small glass hutch and the door was left open so he could pootle about the shop, and the woman fetched him over to say hello to us. He's lovely - stubborn and rude as only rabbits can be, but gorgeous!

He spent the first day in his hutch

Photobucket

And then we invited him out onto the patio with the dog safely shut inside of course!!

Photobucket

He explored everywhere and tried to force his head through the picket fence into next door's garden, but he didn't fit, so instead he fell down the gap between two fences and was stuck there until I figured a way to fish him out...he promptly went and did it again so we have blocked that bit off now :rolling:

• CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 11:29am (Jun 12th 2012) edited

And even though he seemed happy in his hutch and pootling around when we let him out, we wanted to give him enough room to have a run about, so we set up a run for him in the garden, and he now spends his time in there (it's changed a lot since this pic but oh well!)

Photobucket

It's getting a bit crowded because of all his toys

Photobucket

But he loves hopping about, chewing and digging in there!

And of course, his trips to the house :001_rolleyes:

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 3:44pm (Jun 12th 2012)

Here's Lenny's video...the first few clips are from the day we got him :smile:

• CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 11:58pm (Jun 12th 2012)

oh Red he is beautiful, what lovely colours, welocme to hencam Lenny.:bunny_cute:
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 12:05am (Jun 13th 2012)

I agree, he is gorgeous! You know you can train a bunny to use a litter tray don't you. (There's a challenge!!) What does Kasper think of him?
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 6:11am (Jun 13th 2012)

Lenny is BEAUTIFUL, Red. Kate is right they are easy to train to use a litter box..I had a darling house rabbit years ago who used the cat's litter box. I just love all your new pets,Red!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 5:35pm (Jun 13th 2012)

He is soooooooo lovely; i'm getting fidgety for having mine now! Is he a cuddly bun, Red?
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 9:12pm (Jun 13th 2012) edited

He is beautiful. He's fairly tame, but will give you a run around if you're trying to pick him up! He's awesome to watch and has such personality...I forgot how much I enjoyed having a rabbit :smile:

He came litter trained and kept his hutch spotless, and doesn't have accidents when we bring him inside...he doesn't understand he's still supposed to pee and poop in the litter tray in his run though, but it doesn't matter as we turn the dirt everyday no matter what because he tramples it and digs holes!

Kasper is waaaay too excited with him, of course! :laugh: Crazy dog...he does adore chasing rabbits in the forests though! I held them to each other through the patio doors and Kasper sat and wagged :smile: Thankfully Lenny's in the lower garden where Kasper can't go yet because there are gaps in the fence! I still need to put pics of the house and our garden up at some point too...
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2012 11:07pm (Jun 13th 2012)

Yes [taps foot] we are still waiting for pics of the house! :laugh:

I was once told that if a dog is introduced to another household pet they won't chase or harm it as they understand it's part of the family. I'd never want to test the theory, but it's an interesting one!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 12:29pm (Jun 14th 2012)

Kasper can get used to pets, it just takes a long time...for example, we can now hold the rats whilst he is in the same room, and he will sit and wag but not jump up. If the rats are hanging out the doorway, Kasp will jump up and sniff their noses. But if we sat down with them, or if they're in their cage on the floor, Kasper goes berserk!! :laugh:

It was the same with Ron though, it took Kasper months to get used to him and to stop pouncing at the cage when Ron was nearby...not sure how long it will take to get him used to Lenny, but I'm sure we'll manage the two of them somehow :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 12:37pm (Jun 14th 2012)

This could be another "clicker" moment for Kasper.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 12:43pm (Jun 14th 2012)

Yeah, it really should be...I think I'll just get frustrated with how long it will take and how excitable Kasper is! I took him down on-lead to the lower garden to explore the other day, because of the holes in the fencing, and he almost pulled me down the already deadly steps and was going crazy by the run as soon as he noticed Lenny :laugh:

It'll just take a lot of time and patience, and maybe Lyle to hold the lead :P
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 12:53pm (Jun 14th 2012)

As well as the new photos of your home, are you putting a new pin onto GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY? Then we can have a look at your back garden, as well as the front on "Sreet View".
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2012 10:38pm (Jun 25th 2012)

I don't think I've ever had a pin! I think my dad put one in for E Block :smile:

I started clicker training Lenny yesterday. I thought I'd give it a go and he knows what I want, but my gosh he's a stubborn bunny!! I'm working with 'touch' right now, and today twice he hopped down from his basket on top of his sleeping quarters to come touch my palm...but yeah it's sooo different from a dog! He's not that interested in treats / rewards, or pleasing me... :laugh:
    • CommentTimeJun 26th, 2012 5:26pm (Jun 26th 2012)

You ought to explain 'E Block' for newbies who may now be thinking you were in Strangeways or Parkhurst or something...:D
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 8:10pm (Jun 28th 2012)

Hahaha! I'll leave it to their imaginations! :rolling:

Lenny did reallly well today! He 'touched' every time I asked him to, and the longest pause was a few seconds' long whilst he sniffed my boot haha!! It seems that rabbits are smart as well as stubborn! :smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 11:43pm (Jun 28th 2012)

I have a friend who has 2 house rabbits and she said they are both very clever. I don't think she's actually trained them, but they are smart and more than capable.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 2:36pm (Jun 29th 2012)

I think rabbits are just generally very lazy and stubborn...all my rabbits have been such grumps!!
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 5:45pm (Jun 29th 2012)

Fred and Ginger arrive tomorrow; I shall let you know whether they are grumpy/lazy/stubborn!
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2012 4:34am (Jun 30th 2012)

oh good news CC new bunnies!
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2012 6:55pm (Jun 30th 2012)

Fred is white with red eyes...spooky!...and ginger is actually chocolate with darker ears (of which she has one and three quarters after having a fight with her sister). Neither of them like or trust me at the moment! Tuppence has been sitting on top of their run all afternoon and the chickens have been peering like visitors at the zoo...
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2012 5:17pm (Jul 1st 2012) edited

Two of my four rabbits have been white with red eyes...Cynth was a dawrf, Snowball was about six times her size!! :bigsmile:

Ginger sounds lovely...do their ears stand up or flop, or are they like Domino's, one up one down?! :rolling:

Lenny DID NOT want to train today...absolutely no interest so we just cuddled and 'played' instead. I swear he's moulting, fur flying everywhere! Pic of his run, he loooves to sunbathe on the slab because it soaks up heat...he will sprawl out all flat :smile:

Photobucket

And this is his favourite place to sit when not sunbathing...I bought two replacement baskets the other day but I want to wait until this one is completely demolished as he does love it!

"What are you doooing?"

Hehe

Photobucket

I stuffed his ball with grass and then wedged the rest of a cabbage in there...he was not amused :rolling:

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2012 6:51pm (Jul 2nd 2012)

Their ears stand up, and they're both quite large. Lenny is lovely!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2012 11:42pm (Jul 2nd 2012)

Ginger sounds like the only rabbit I ever had (mom called him Thumper, i thought that was stupid so called him Bun Bun. I was only 14 - give me a break!!!) He was beautiful and I'm sure Ginger (and Fred) are too!
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2012 2:12pm (Jul 3rd 2012)

Posted By: Katebi thought that was stupid so called him Bun Bun

:rolling:

Lenny is still really small, I think he's gonna stay that way? He's about 6 months now so should probably be fully grown...what age are Fred and Ginger?
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2012 3:27pm (Jul 3rd 2012)

About the same - 6 or 7 months.
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 6:29pm (Jul 4th 2012)

Hmm, Lenny must be a little un then. I really like him small though, he's kinda in between Cynthia (dwarf) and Domino. I have no idea what breeds he's crossed with either...
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2012 3:12pm (Jul 5th 2012) edited

So, I deleted the last post because I have better photos and couldn't be bothered editing it all :smile:

Last night I installed another storage box in Lenny's run to create a kind of 'warren' sleeping area for him and also a second level. This morning I put a mat on the largest box as his feet scrabbled on the plastic and he kept pushing his foodbowl off, although I think he just did that on purpose!

The carpeted bit is brilliant, he gets to eat up there and it's big enough for him to shuffle about and stretch out full...at one point today he had his whole body stretched flat with his head in his food bowl eating!!

This is the sight that greeted me when I went to check on him :smile:

His little carpeted area

Eating a dandelion

His whole run

Photobucket

And going from one box to the other!

• CommentTimeJul 13th, 2012 9:00pm (Jul 13th 2012) edited

Another welcome to our home, but not to Lenny - I just didn't want yet another thread! :laugh:

Today in Leeds I stumbled across a mouse and just fell in love...my heart flipped, a stupid smile broke over my face, it was love at first sight! A tiny little mouse, exploring the tank he was in, oh he took my breath away he was so gorgeous!

I went and asked the shop owner if the mouse was a boy or girl, just out of curiosity as Lyle was shooting me daggers haha! But if he was a girl there wasn't a chance I could get him as he'd have to live with another girl. The woman said the mice had all come in three days ago. There were about ten of them in a tiny plastic tank with no substrate, food or water. Some were newborn pinkies and the oldest were barely fully grown.

The guy had said if she didn't take them he would set them free, so she took them. Although they are young, they were old enough to mate and so half the females are pregnant. She had the pregnant females at her house, and two of the three boys had gone on to find happy homes.

So I spent a good few minutes dancing around Lyle begging for the mouse, and promising no more pets after this (I really mean it!) but I just had to have this little mouse...and here he is :heart:

Photobucket

He cost me £1.50 because he wasn't the shops' animal to sell really. We were planning to keep him in a RUB at home, but walking past a carboot I saw a pet stall and ran over and picked up this bargain, £10 new and boxed! It's a Syrian cage, but the bar spacing is really tight, and it works out big enough for 4 mice :bigsmile:

Photobucket

He looks a bit lost in at the moment, but wow he's having fun exploring!! The tunnel was supposed to be connected from the bedroom and leading to the smaller platform with the foodbowl on it, but it felt a little flimsy so we've just put it on the bottom as a hidey place

Photobucket

He's a mega friendly little guy - I knew I loved him for a reason!!! I just put my hand in the cage and he was all over it, light as a feather.

Photobucket

I am so so so stupidly in love with this guy...how is it I always manage to find the sob stories?! :smile: He's only just gone to bed; tomorrow I start taming him! I really enjoy having pet mice. It took us hours and hours to choose a name, we thought about so many, but have finally settled on Keshi. Welcome home Keshi!
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2012 11:01pm (Jul 13th 2012)

Give him a feather to hold - I'm sure he could fly with those ears!!! He is super cute - good choice! (and hugs to Lyle for letting you have him. Or should that be not complaining about yet another pet as there's no stopping you when you want something!!)
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2012 7:24pm (Jul 14th 2012)

He's beautiful, Red, just perfect!
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2012 9:45pm (Jul 15th 2012) edited

Thanks, CC, I couldn't agree more! Yup Kate, I am VERY lucky to have Lyle :tooth:

I've had him two days and I am willing to call him tame! I never want to be without a mouse again, they are so tiny, and friendly, and inquisitive and the sweetest little things ever...I went to some charity shops yesterday and spent a whole £1 and now his cage is kitted out!

Which meant Keshi had to explore all over again :tooth:

Photobucket

He loves the belt bridge

Photobucket

This was our first taming session; we have his cage in the living room so that he gets used to household noises

Photobucket

I can't describe how light he is, his footsteps tickle your palm but there's no weight there!

Photobucket

Haha, these were from tonight

Photobucket

He climbed all the way up my arm and onto my shoulder, and he's happy to walk from one hand to the other now

Photobucket

He's really hard to take photos of, because his white face makes the camera hard to focus. But isn't he a gorgeous colour too? Martha was a very similar colour, but a little lighter...not so vibrant.
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2012 9:59pm (Jul 15th 2012) edited

And, seeing as this is a Lenny thread really, oh he was hilarious tonight!! I was cleaning the straw from his bed boxes, so he was chasing me around and climbing into the bin bag, generally making a nuisance of himself and refusing to go where I wanted him to :smile:

He nibbled loads of holes in the bag of straw as I was re-filling his sleeping compartments. Then I lifted the tin of rabbit food in to fill his bowl and he jumped into the tin and sat in there scoffing away! We really have a great relationship now, when I think to how he was when we first got him...he comes running now, adores his brushing, cuddling and petting...he's the best rabbit I've had :smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2012 11:58pm (Jul 15th 2012)

• CommentTimeJul 16th, 2012 2:51pm (Jul 16th 2012)

We've got the fattest little mouse barrelling around the house; he was in the bedroom last night. Don't tell LSE, but I saved the mouse from Tuppence and it trundled back behind the bookcase...
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2012 10:38pm (Jul 16th 2012)

Posted By: KatebYou are very blessed with your pets Red. They always seem to be pretty as a picture but with a 'troubled' past that you help them through so that they come out the other end as perfect companions! Well done!

Thanks Kate :) I have been very lucky with pets, and I always love to watch as their personality comes out and their confidence grows.

CC, two houses back we had a mouse in the house and it used to run under Kasper's bed - whilst he was lying on it!! Thankfully he never saw it :smile:

There was a sale on bird toys at P@H today, about the only time things are reasonably priced! All the things here cost between 50p and £1

Photobucket

Keshi got this really cool toy that spins (which he isn't that interested in but it looks cool!) and a little apple mirror which he should fit inside. He hasn't noticed it yet I don't think but it's cute :smile:

Photobucket

And Lenny had a go at the Bamboozle dog puzzle feeder, which he did three times. I was impressed he worked it out so quick

Photobucket

But in the usual rabbit way he was very stubborn and refused to work at it anymore, so I tipped the food out for him :smile:

Photobucket

And what we originally went to P@H for, a wheel! I was willing to pay a fair bit of money for a Silent Spinner but they don't flipping have one!! Keshi's current wheel is the loudest I've ever come across, so we bought him a saucer one for now (£7, aagh!) and I guess we'll order an SS of the interwebs, as there aren't any other pet shops round here that will sell them...

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2012 12:49am (Jul 23rd 2012)

oh he is so sweet Red and bless you for taking him home (and Lyle).