• CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 9:51am (Jun 17th 2012)

I know I know, we said that was it, no more pussy cats.

On Friday when Brian went in to vet to make a payment on our huge bill from Thomas, Richard the vet asked to see us both again at 5.30pm. We return, me thinking it is in relation to some printing discussed weeks ago that Brian can do to offset balance on bill.
    The vet nurses hover around smiling. Instead in a little room we are presented with 2 chocolate Burmese kittens, 14 weeks old. We ooh and ah, delighted to cuddle some kitties. Richard then says ok here’s the deal. We are giving you a kitten (holy cow worth hundreds here) and if you take the male we will neuter, worm, flea, microchip, set you up with starter food etc at no charge what so ever. We have never done this before but would like to do this for you as you are such special people and gave Thomas such a wonderful life. No obligation but have a think about it.
    We are stunned, shocked, touched, overwhelmed. A rollercoaster of emotions swamp us. I become quite teary and hug the kitty tighter.

We say we will sleep on it as the financial consideration is important for us.
    Go home & I ring son Trevor just to discuss as he is a great sounding board. He then astounds us with an offer.
    He will pay off the rest of vet bill, bless him, so we can free up our resources and have a kitty. We are surrounded by kindness and love. We ,ill somewhat gobsmacked. Then my mobile rings.
    It’s Richard to apologise for perhaps being too pushy and I squeal that we are going to accept their generous offer gratefully. Apparently the vet’s wife drove to Port Fairy 3 hours drive from here in Geelong as they had thinking all week that some people just should have a cat in their life, namely us. She bought both as they may keep one themselves. We are still emotional about it all but so happy as I have been missing my Thomas so very, very much. I did not think we would ever have another cat but already the little chap has brought such joy into our life.

We collected our bundle of purr Saturday morning and I am in heaven.
    From 11am to 1.30pm he plays, jumps, crawls, flys, explores, the family room and bedroom and every nook and cranny he fit his beautiful rich brown body into. Flops for a while then up again. We have a busy crazy evening, we head to bed tired but happy by 9.30pm. He rustles around for about an hour then settles down on my arm for the night. He hardly moves until 6am. Brilliant clever cat. He has settled in so well, I guess the age helps. I am in love already and he is so affectionate No Name, yet so suggestions welcome. Looking for something perhaps theatrical or classic and I read they respond well to names ending in the ‘ee’ sound. I am so Happy.

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 9:54am (Jun 17th 2012)

Photobucket

He already has good taste

Photobucket

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 11:44am (Jun 17th 2012) edited

Ooooo... I'm so excited!!!
    I have a tear running down... and I'm choked up.
    Fantastic news. And a brown Burmese. All the brown ones we've had dealings with have been so very special. They seem to be so much softer, adaptable and loving.
    We have brothers a brown and a blue. You wouldn't think they were related, they are so different.
    Your first photo the kit appears to be a blue and the last one has the odd colouring that browns sometimes show as kittens. The other pics have the lovely dark chocolate look that is so beautiful.

Happy cuddling, what wonderful folks your vets are!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 11:55am (Jun 17th 2012)

Thanks Ollie we are over the moon. He is sitting on the desk watching my fingers as I type, we are in for some fun I think. He has such a sweet kitten meow. Very well trained already with everything, no accidents...yet! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 3:46pm (Jun 17th 2012)

O Julie what FANTASTIC news. He looks like a chocolate Smartie - but I don't know if you have smarties there. A name will just happen. It's brilliant; we keep being told that the world is a terrible place, but your story shows that some people are the diamonds in the dirt. Hooray!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2012 11:44pm (Jun 17th 2012)

Oh TM, this is fantastic news!!! Sometimes it takes a new kitty in our lives to help us cope with the loss of a much loved cat. I think I've already said how much Meow Meow has done for me. As for a name, I gave up trying to think of one and stuck with Meow Meow (though Danny insists I should change it to Donald as he constantly Trumps!!! Pew!)

Your vet is wonderful - and so is your son. My nan always said it is better to be born lucky than rich, and I think you've proved the point this weekend!
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2012 12:23am (Jun 18th 2012) edited

yes CC it is just wonderful isn't it? We had another great night with him curled up asleep on our bed. I think our grand daughter wore him out yesterday but it is important for him to have lots of exercise as heis an indoor boy. Yes we have smarties here, he does look like a choccy one. Truly our vet and wife are wonderful people whom I would recommend glowingly except it's a bit far for you to bring your pets.:face-smile:

Kate I did not think we would have another pussy cat but the loss of Thomas was so haert wrenching and yes, a kitty can certainly help to soothe a sad heart. We are blessed to have a son like Trevor (both our lads are just so caring and thoughful) and yes good things do happen in this, at times, tough world. I believe I have had some crappy things happen in my life but that I am also lucky in many many ways. Good friends and family are so important.:face-smile:

I love the support we offer each other here.
    I am about to write a newsletter type announcement with pics to send to all our friends here, you folk are the first to know our news, how funny is that.
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2012 7:53am (Jun 18th 2012)

Oh Julie, I'm sooooooo happy you have a new baby kitty( I'm with Ollie..I've got tears running down my face)..he's so cute..and Burmese babies are so sweet. I'm just so thrilled for you..I'm doing my happy dance!
    :cheer: :yay_jump:

Give Trev a big ole hug for me..he's such a dear to help you with Thomas's bill.
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2012 8:31am (Jun 18th 2012)

Thanks Lynn, we are just so happy with our new little bundle of joy.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2012 5:24pm (Jun 19th 2012)

Okay, he is gorgeous!!!! :laugh:

I think Nelly was 14 weeks old when we got her...full of fun and mischief :smile: What a lovely thing of your vet/s to do, and nice they will be able to watch as kitten grows and matures too!

Have you thought up any names yet?! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2012 2:48am (Jun 22nd 2012)

Grrr I wrote up a nice long reply to this Red and then computer crashed and I lost it all of course!!!:face-devil-grin: I will try to remember it later and re do as it was interesting in relation to his name.

His name is Koko and he is just delightful and sleeps at least 8 hours thru the night which is splendid, dont mind the day time crazies at all.

Crikey am so tired today, it has been a big week.
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2012 5:54pm (Jun 22nd 2012)

Where does he sleep? On top of you & Brian? :) Excellent name!
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2012 10:51pm (Jun 22nd 2012)

Oh, I wish he'd teach Meow Meow how to sleep through the night! It seems I'm cursed with that - the kids never did so why should the cat?!

Look forward to hearing how you came by his name, and am pleased to hear he's giving you so much pleasure!