• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 4:02pm (Jun 28th 2012)

Last night Karen was doing a hen count and shutting the coop up for the night. Karen came in and said I can only find 7 hens! "I've checked and triple checked and we only have 7, and it doesn't help that they move around when you want to count them and its one of the new girls. I said "if Cherry, the small light Sussex that was Harry Houdini in a previous life, cant get out then I'm sure she's out there somewhere.By this time its getting dark and Karen's getting upset so I put on my Deer stalker hat, lit a pipe (The things we do for Chickens, I don't even smoke!), and went to have head count. As I walked into the coop, Which is quite large, I espy, with my Sherlock Holmes head torch , the evasive Hen! she was sat on a supporting roof beam! Karen didn't think about looking up an she was happily roosted up top!
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 5:30pm (Jun 28th 2012)

All my chickens have always sat on the floor of the hutch, and I too panicked when I couldn't see Trinny the new one; she was up in the gods on her own! We put a roosting perch in for her and in the winter she roosted above the others - evidently conversant with the fact that heat rises...:)
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 11:35pm (Jun 28th 2012)

I wouldn't want to be the hens on the bottom ...!
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 4:47am (Jun 29th 2012)

Mine try to hit all over the place too..I just get the treat dish out and say "come and get it"..I'm nearly killed in the mad rush to the hen house...they all come for treats.
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 8:39am (Jun 29th 2012)

From day one the 3 new Hens started sitting up high on a bar, in the pen, that is provide for that purpose. The Older Hens have on occasion flapped up and had a 2 minute stand but never sat and roosted, but since observing the new Hens roosting on it the older Hens have been having a go, who says you cant teach a old Hen :running_dog: new tricks!
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 2:29pm (Jun 29th 2012)

Tilly can be clicker trained and she is 9 years old...Vince (dog) is 7 and I taught him all sorts of new tricks too...and as for humans, my Grandma learnt how to buy stuff off the internet and now my Grandad wishes she never had :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 8:11pm (Jun 29th 2012)

Posted By: Redas for humans, my Grandma learnt how to buy stuff off the internet and now my Grandad wishes she never had:bigsmile:" alt=":bigsmile:" src="http:///hencam_forum/extensions/Vanillacons/smilies/standard/bigsmile.gif" />

Waaaahahaha...way to go Grandma!!!!:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2012 8:30am (Jun 30th 2012)

Posted By: RedTilly can be clicker trained and she is 9 years old...Vince (dog) is 7 and I taught him all sorts of new tricks too

Red, where's the best place to start if I want to try clicker training? Our Hens are only 6 & 10 months old, so If like children, they're at that impressionable age.:computer:
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2012 11:06am (Jun 30th 2012) edited

Or am I underestimating hens again?
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2012 12:31pm (Jun 30th 2012)

Posted By: ollie in UKNow lad, I don't think you can clicker train your chick to send messages onto hencam as you illustrated!

Nothing is impossible, with the right attitude and a .................Big Stick:chicken_catch: :atpeace:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2012 5:04pm (Jul 1st 2012)

Clicker train a chicken exactly as you would a dog! Easy things to start with are: peck an object, peck only a certain coloured object, jump, and stand on an object.

This is a great introductory video to clicker training, Kikopup's a great dog trainer:

Seriously, Tilly picked it up SO quickly, I really don't think you need to worry about whatever age you start :smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2012 5:06pm (Jul 1st 2012)

And don't worry if they don't "respond" to the clicker after you've charged it...chickens are just different to dogs, they still know what it means :smile:

Work one on one with your girls, if you work in a group the clicker is meaningless...you want it to mean whenever a hen hears a click, she is getting a treat immediately! Also don't force them to work...let them come and go as they please. Tilly was happy to work for a few minutes, then wander off and come back to do some more.
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2012 11:33pm (Jul 2nd 2012)

I'm thinking that maybe I could train Meow Meow like this. He seems very intelligent (well, he survived on the streets long enough and managed to get himself a comfy home!) Where do I buy a clicker?
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2012 1:56pm (Jul 3rd 2012)

Lots of pet shops sell them, although they can be expensive...you can get them offline for a couple of quid, I got mine from Zooplus and it's lasted two years and going strong! :smile:

You might want to muffle it at first, but I never have when used with dogs or Lenny...