• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2012 10:05am (Jul 17th 2012) edited

We're debating whether the Hens like to sit next to the garden room because were in it or they like the Radio. The Radio is on all day, tuned to Gold (1458am), and Karen is convinced they like the Radio. What do you think, anyone else play the Radio to their Hens? :turkeydance:
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2012 5:03pm (Jul 17th 2012)

I was trying to find the article about our girls listening to the newspaper in the T&A from years back, but it's the one article we don't have by the looks of things! Ours loved Yellow Submarine, and I'll bet they'd still get excited by it now :smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2012 11:24pm (Jul 17th 2012)

My childhood dog used to love the radio and TV, so no reason why a chicken shouldn't. I suspect Gold play classic 80s tracks? Hens with taste!
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2012 10:16am (Jul 18th 2012)

Would music cover their insinctive listening for predators?
    Good thing / bad thing?
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2012 4:42pm (Jul 18th 2012)

My music room has french windows that look out onto the back garden. When I play three little faces line up at the door and stare in. Don't know if it's appreciation, criticism (missed an accidental there, Gill) or impatience (pack in the racket and throw us some sunflower seeds, stupid).
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2012 5:41pm (Jul 20th 2012)

It's probably a mixture of all three, CC. :-)
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2012 5:42pm (Jul 20th 2012) edited

Posted By: ollie in UKWould music cover their insinctive listening for predators?
    Good thing / bad thing?

I don't think so, I think their eyesight is extremely good so they'd be more liable to be looking for predators than listening for them. An eagle is probably pretty quiet. :wink:
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2012 7:30pm (Jul 20th 2012)

I play classical music to my chickens while they are in the incubator and after they are in the brooder. Once they are outside they have "talk radio" on 24-7..the sound of the radio keeps the mice, rats, racoons, coyotes, and other predators away from my chicken barns. They think a human is present. Since I turned the radio on in the barn I've not seen one sign of a mouse or anything else in there.
    I have very mellow chickens now. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2012 5:39pm (Jul 21st 2012)

...but I bet they argue about politics! :D
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2012 5:00am (Jul 22nd 2012)

I'm not sure if it's politics, but they do a lot of arguing about something.:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2012 8:43am (Jul 24th 2012)

Posted By: LynnWI play classical music to my chickens

Our Hens have a very eclectic taste in music:boogie: but the nearest to classical is "Roll over Beethoven" by ELO:rolling:, they seem to do Synchronized preening to that one:lol:

Ian
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2012 6:44pm (Jul 24th 2012)

Posted By: zz9zzzalphaSynchronized preening to that one

:rollonfloorlaughing: I'd love to see them doing that, Ian!!
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2012 4:03pm (Jul 25th 2012)

What about Another One Bites The Dustbath by Preen...?
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2012 5:55am (Jul 27th 2012)

ha ha great song titles folks.