• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2012 10:39am (Jul 29th 2012) edited

OK, first the background. On Friday Karen took Ginger to the vets as she was lethargic, the vet examined her and the first thing he pointed out is she was infested with Mites. That was absolute shock horror:gasp: on Karen as she had no idea, she hadn't show any of the usual signs "infestations can cause a reduction in laying, pale combs and wattles, anemia and even death! Infestations can also cause feather loss, usually on the back, because a bird may over-preen and pluck her own feathers in attempt to get relief"(sic). On further examination he said she had a Respiratory tract infection. He gave Karen some syringes and antibiotic's, for the respiratory tract infection, and showed her how to administer them. He then sprayed under her wings with some spot-on flea spray, he said its the same one for dogs and cats but he has found it to work well on chickens without any adverse reaction BTW the vet keeps hens himself. Karen has to go back to the vets on Monday to pick up some spray and worming stuff so we can treat all 7 ladies.

Now, since bringing her home she hasn't eaten much and yesterday she hardly moved and didn't drink, so Karen was wondering if she could administer some Baby Formula, via the syringe, to get fluid and water into her.
    We can take her back to the vets tomorrow if she hasn't improved but 24 hours can make a big difference in a hens life
    Any thoughts?

Ian & Karen
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2012 7:25pm (Jul 29th 2012)

I use a beaten egg with a bit of honey in for mine - gets them interested. Or you could try scrambled egg or yoghourt with honey. Sorry, I'm as in the dark as you but I just know what got mine tempted to eat.Hope she feels better soon. :heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2012 11:59pm (Jul 29th 2012)

I would do a search on the forum for 'mites' to see what advice might have been posted previously. I know that red mite has been mentioned many times along with the usual treatment (dicotamous earth or something like that!)

I would think anything you can get down her will help, so if she's accepting of the syringe I would be tempted to try to get some fluids down her. Good luck.
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2012 7:21am (Jul 30th 2012)

After posting yesterday, Karen and I decided to go for it. So with syringes at the ready and Ginger wrapped securely in a towel Karen managed to get 9ml water & ACV down her and 6ml of a watery solution of layer pellets that had been ground in the pestle & mortar, Karen administered the same doses four hours later. Ginger just sat around tail down looking lethargic for most of the afternoon. Then in the early evening she started pecking at corn:yay_jump:. I've just let the girls out this morning, Ginger is perched in the coop eyes wide open, Karen will have a look at her later and I'll update.

Ian
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2012 6:16pm (Jul 30th 2012)

Such good news! Try the scrambled egg though!
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2012 12:04am (Jul 31st 2012)

Fingers crossed she's over the worst of it. Keep us updated!
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2012 7:41am (Jul 31st 2012)

Hoping she is over the worst now, Ian. I use dog flea spray on my chickens all the time, it keeps flies away from them too.
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2012 9:05am (Aug 5th 2012)

After syringe feeding Ginger for 5 days we realised she wasn't getting any better and felt it kinder to take her to the vets and end her suffering. Even the vet said trying to nurse a hen is very hit and miss and as I've read on this site by the time you realise something is wrong with a Chicken its normally too late. RIP Ginger:sleep1:
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2012 10:24am (Aug 5th 2012)

oh I am so sorry to hear about Ginger, you did your best Ian. RIP dear little hen.:heartsabove:
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2012 6:11pm (Aug 6th 2012)

Oh, Ian I'm so sorry to hear you lost Ginger. I was so hoping that she was getting better. Chickens are so adept at hiding being sick, so the rest of the flock won't pick on them, that it truly is usually way too late to do anything for them. I still do try to save them and I have had a couple of successes over the years. RIP Ginger.
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2012 7:25pm (Aug 6th 2012)

I'm sorry too...but it's good that you have a sympathetic vet. Is it what happened to the other chickens you lost? Did the vet suggest a post mortem to ascertain cause of death? RIP Ginger, poor girl. :heart:
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2012 11:52pm (Aug 6th 2012)

I'm sorry too Ian, at least you gave it a go and gave Ginger the best chance she could have. Sleep soundly little hen. :heart: