• CommentAuthorchuckmadmalc
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2012 11:12pm (Aug 21st 2012)

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone else has tried buying eggs online for hatching? Because of our location I sometimes find it hard to get stock or fertile eggs of some of our more rare breeds that aren't directly related to each other. Found lots of eggs on Ebay including breeds like blue laced Barnvelders (I'd despaired of finding any more up here)so I bought some silkie eggs,they arrived in 24hrs in special boxes. let them sit for 30hrs as instructed and popped them under a broody banty (have a flock of mixed breed birds descended from my first hens of 35 years ago that are unstoppable biological incubation machines!) Anyway 15 days to go and not sure what to expect, will candle a couple tomorrow but not sure if I should be getting my hopes up !
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2012 11:44pm (Aug 21st 2012)

Hi malc! I don't have hens, but I think other people that've posted in the past have done this and had varying success. I suppose the trickiest bit is getting girls rather than boys!!!

Fancy being able to trace your hens ancestry back 35 years! Wow!
    • CommentAuthorchuckmadmalc
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2012 1:51am (Aug 22nd 2012)

Hi Kate, ta for the info.
    Yeah it is quite cool having a 35 year old flock,they even travelled 650 miles north with us 25 years ago ! The fun bit is that due to the random nature of chicken genetics funny little quirks of the original girls crop up every now and then like the 7 toes per foot that my first hen had( a silkie given to me by my Dad's boss ) and even to the point that I presently have near perfect facsimilies of hens number 3 and 4 running around, I remember them as age 7 I excitedly picked hens 2,3 and 4 from a colourful bantam flock on a farm near to us and bought them with my hard saved pocket money :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2012 6:54am (Aug 22nd 2012) edited

Posted By: chuckmadmalcunstoppable biological incubation machines!
    :rollonfloorlaughing: I can just see them in full combat gear on a recce looking for eggs to sit on :lol:
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2012 10:59pm (Aug 22nd 2012)

I think its very special to choose your own hens and then buy them with pocket money - good way to learn responsibility!

Didn't know hens could be polydactyl (how many toes do they usually have?!)
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2012 3:55am (Aug 24th 2012)

chuckmadmalc, I've had pretty good luck with hatching eggs that I bought online..I did know the breeders though and didn't get them from ebay. Mine had to travel from Florida to Washington state and I still had a good hatch rate. It depends on the weather at both ends and the way the eggs are packed (then you have to pray the Postal service doesn't play football with the boxes)I've gotten some beautiful Silkie chicks out of eggs I bought last April.

Kate, Standard breed chickens have 4 toes and Silkies have 5 toes.
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2012 11:16pm (Aug 24th 2012)

Wow, 7 is quite a few extra then!!!!
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2012 10:52am (Aug 29th 2012)

We've had good experience with the time we bought eggs from ebay, although we did travel down to pick up the eggs in person as I wasn't sure how they'd fare through the post...

I guess though the sellers must have good packing skills!

They won't be able to guarantee that they will all be viable but you can't count your chickens before they hatch. :)
    • CommentAuthorchuckmadmalc
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2012 12:34am (Sep 4th 2012)

Hi all, sorry for slow response, been having problems getting my comments to post :face-sad:
    zz9 - you've met my banties then :wink: apart from the camo gear you're about spot on as they will hijack nests if you steal all their eggs !
    Thanks for the encouraging info regarding eggs in the post LynnW (just hope our posties aren't frustrated footballers !) and thanks Neil for the hopeful news regarding EBay egg quality:face-smile:
    Kate, yes 7 is quite a lot for one little foot, she had one extra forward facing toe and one extra back toe and she also had spurs that would shame many cockerels, great wee hen though and a fantastic mother who remained productive for almost all of her 12 characterful years :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2012 10:07pm (Sep 6th 2012)

Another amazed WOW from me - isn't 12 really old for a hen?!!! What a fantastic bird she was!