• CommentTimeOct 14th, 2012 6:36pm (Oct 14th 2012)

I was so amazed to find this humungous egg in the nesting box three weeks back. Made my eyes water just thinking about the poor hen having to lay it. Grandad North had it with some bacon, sausage and beans. It was a double yolker the yolks were huge. It is pictured with a large egg
      big egg.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2012 6:38pm (Oct 14th 2012)

Now here is the special sarni for CC I hope you enjoy it
      piano sarnie.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2012 8:51pm (Oct 14th 2012)

That is some egg. Sure your hen hasn't got ostrich genes?

The piano is fabulous.

My Dad used to play the piano by rolling two oranges up and down the keys, while Mum actually composed music. They made me learn the piano, screaming and fighting. Maybe that's why I have no interest in music now. Well, 99.9% of it...
    • CommentTimeOct 14th, 2012 10:21pm (Oct 14th 2012)

That IS an eye-watering egg!!! I love the piano too - how inventive!

My friend was like you Ollie, her parents made her take piano lessons and she hated every minute and gave up as soon as she could. Saying that, the last time I saw her a piano had pride of place in her home and she played regularly!
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2012 1:03pm (Oct 15th 2012)

Brilliant sarnie, NN! You should do it professionally...
    Blimey, that egg IS enormous - poor hen! Do you know who laid it? Was there one hen with watery eyes and a bandy gait?
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2012 8:26pm (Oct 15th 2012)

Wow, NN..that one must have hurt on the way out. I have one hen that lays huge double yoke eggs at least once a week...but NOT that big! Love the sandwich you made!
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2012 9:16pm (Oct 15th 2012) edited

So sorry to disappoint you all but I didn't devise the piano sarnie. I came across it on the Daily Mail on line site and straight away thought of CC so saved it. Sorry if I gave you all the wrong impression. This Chap thought up all sorts of ideas to get his kids to eat healthy food by making it look exceptional. He writing a book with all his ideas. I will keep an eye out and let you all know when it comes on sale.
    • CommentTimeOct 15th, 2012 9:24pm (Oct 15th 2012)

I too had piano lessons as a child and hated it. I do wish I had made more of an effort now though. One it would be lovely to be able to play and two I feel so mean about being ungratefull as there were six of us kiddies so it must have been very difficult for my Dad to have afforded every thing. Bless him.

I have no idea which hen layed the huge egg. They were all going about their business same as normal with no splayed legs or watery eyes.
    • CommentTimeOct 16th, 2012 5:45pm (Oct 16th 2012)

Ah, well if you didn't do it, NN, I shall point out that the piano is backwards, with the bass in the treble and vice versa! :rolling:
    Never too late, NN - get a cheapo keyboard if you don't have room for a real piano. The Complete Piano player by Kenneth Baker is the book I always recommend - teaches you Elvis, Beatles, Abba...all sorts!
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2012 1:09am (Oct 18th 2012)

Phew thank goodness I didnt make it then CC you know how i like things to be perfect. Thats a good idea about the keyboard but I dont know when I would get the time. I got three guitars upstairs and dont even get time to plink away on one of those.
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2012 1:17am (Oct 18th 2012)

Made my pickles for Christmas today they should just about be ready in time, I usually make them at the beginning of October but you know how it is always something pressing to do. Hope they taste as good as they look.
      pickles.jpg
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2012 5:23pm (Oct 18th 2012)

They look scrummy. we bought some chilli pickled onions at a craft fair a week or so back, not to be used till Christmas. Eric keeps gazing at them longingly. he never looks at me like that...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2012 6:36pm (Oct 18th 2012)

Well I wouldn't recommend bathing in vinegar, CC!
    • CommentTimeOct 18th, 2012 10:17pm (Oct 18th 2012)

... unless it would have the same preservative effect!!!!

I haven't eaten a pickled onion since, well, I can't remember when! Must get some.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th, 2012 6:28pm (Oct 19th 2012)

I can be quite sour when want to be though...
    Yes, get some, Kate - they're scrummy!
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2012 7:51pm (Oct 22nd 2012)

Forgot all about them when we did the shopping - had a bad stomach all weekend though so probably best I didn't have any!
    • CommentTimeOct 27th, 2012 2:02am (Oct 27th 2012)

I found a jar of pickled garlic that I made last autumn this afternoon and Grandad North just had to try some as it is one of his favourites. Hence the reason I am up so late. He is rather windy to say the very least:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeOct 27th, 2012 6:08pm (Oct 27th 2012)

Ah, Hovering Duvet Syndrome. What you need is a few cats on the bed to weight the duvet down...
    • CommentTimeOct 28th, 2012 12:07am (Oct 28th 2012)

Not sure about that CC - my cats are the windy ones in our house, and oh my do they smell!!!!!

:cat2: :beurk:
    • CommentTimeOct 28th, 2012 2:27pm (Oct 28th 2012)

Pegs are cheap...
    • CommentTimeOct 28th, 2012 7:40pm (Oct 28th 2012)

Around here the dog wins the "Windy Award"!
    She loves to sit on my feet while I'm at the computer and then all of a sudden there is this green fog.:_puke:
    • CommentTimeOct 28th, 2012 11:02pm (Oct 28th 2012)

So the dog pulls off your slippers to let the green fog out.... Don't blame the dog, she's only doing what comes natural!
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2012 6:39pm (Oct 29th 2012)

We put our cats in the conservatory nights now CC as four on the bed is ridiculous especially with my restless legs twitching about. They soon got used to it but Daisy does get annoyed now and then and has a right go at us for moving her off the bed just as she gets comfy. Mind you she really enjoys the excuse to give Grandad North a nip as he is a bit scared of her !!!
    • CommentTimeOct 29th, 2012 11:30pm (Oct 29th 2012)

Ha ha!!! It seems all cats called Daisy are a bit feisty!!! If I had a conservatory I'd probably do the same, but it'd be wrecked next morning once Meow Meow had bullied the others. Kitten woke me at 5.15am, just after hubby left for work. I came all the way down (we have a town house remember!) to let her out and all she wanted was food, not freedom. Who says ferals don't like domesticity?!
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2012 4:02pm (Oct 30th 2012)

I think she was just masquerading as a feral, Kate; i reckon there's pampered pedigree royalty in there somewhere!
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2012 11:49pm (Oct 30th 2012)

Yes, you're probably right. She's aloof enough at times!!