• CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:37pm (Dec 30th 2012)

We were treated to an over night stay in Chester before Christmas We had a lovely time and of course I got pictures !!!
    This big chair was in the hotel and as Grandad North wouldnt sit in it I passed my camera over for a picture.
      big chair 1.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:39pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

They had some lovely garden sculptures there as well here are a couple
      torty.jpg
      walking the doggies.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:42pm (Dec 30th 2012)

Wow I love these pictures...you look so cute in that chair.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:42pm (Dec 30th 2012)

It is a lovely place to visit and very proud of its Roman roots. The Children loved maching along behind the centurian calling out the march
      crossing the road.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:44pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

The streets were beautiful with all the quaint buildings
      other side.jpg
      street (2).jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:47pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

Some of the streets had a two tier system of shops with a veranda or gallery running along the whole row of buildings shops top and bottom. I didnt get a very good view of then Im afraid see if you can get what I mean by this photo. There is the top shop and the gallery now below that is another shop. This runs the length of the street with little arches to walk through to the next shop.
      galleries.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:48pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

Chester is a walled city here is a picture from the wall and then another picture of the clock tower that was up there just behind me.
      from city wall.jpg
      clock.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:51pm (Dec 30th 2012)

The christmas decorations were all up this was the big display in the mall
      christmas2.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:53pm (Dec 30th 2012)

The clock tower is beautiful, NN.
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:53pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

I loved some of the shop window displays. The one of the toy shop was a bit blurred so sorry about that but it was so Victorian looking and I loved it. The fairy house was made from Marshmallow just so cute.
      shop window2.jpg
      yum yum.jpg
      Window.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:57pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

The Christmas market was open and was the best I have seen over here I have so may pictures and can not put one up of every stall so here are a few
      chestnuts.jpg
      christmas goodies.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 7:58pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

Sausage Sir ?!!
      christmas market.jpg
      sausage cm.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:00pm (Dec 30th 2012)

Just across from the market was the Cathederal
      Cathederal.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:01pm (Dec 30th 2012)

And a hat for any occasion shop
      hats.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:02pm (Dec 30th 2012)

We walked and walked there was just so much to see look at the beautiful reflection on the canal
      reflection.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:03pm (Dec 30th 2012)

A helpful squirrel in the park !!!
      helpfull squirrel.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:09pm (Dec 30th 2012)

this beautiful heron was in the pond
      bird.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:10pm (Dec 30th 2012)

Captain Jack was about !!!
      cap jack.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:11pm (Dec 30th 2012)

And of course you just had to have a mime
      mime.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 8:16pm (Dec 30th 2012) edited

I took this picture of the ice crystals rainbow in the sky on the way there. A quick note I also forgot to take my good coat and ended up having to wear my wildlife photo taking jacket !!!!
      sky.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 9:08pm (Dec 30th 2012)

You had such a fantastic day there"
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2012 10:22pm (Dec 30th 2012)

Ah, that's why the squirrel was trying to get in -he was the token wildlife!! Lovely pics and what a great place. Lovely to see so many unique shops. It annoys me when these lovely towns just have the same as any other place - a Next with a Gap and a Wallis either side etc.
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2012 6:27pm (Dec 31st 2012)

Fabulous pics as usual, NN! I loved the big chair - if only I had a larger cottage I'd get you to post it to me! The squirrel was so tame - what were you tempting him with, or was he just hopeful?
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2012 9:52pm (Dec 31st 2012) edited

Yes Ollie it was lovely very cold but dry and sunny. So much to see we loved it.

I have had a cough and was looking for a lozenge. Luckily Grandad North was holding my camera so was able to get the shot. The Squirrel rushed over straight up my leg and was having a look in my camera bag. Must be the jacket !!! it is brilliant for blending in and not looking too threatening, so I can get quite close to birds and animals which is great.

Yes it was a fantastic chair CC, but you would need a huge room and a high ceiling for it. I had a job getting up on the foot stool as it was so high.
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2012 9:59pm (Dec 31st 2012)

I agree Kate it was so refreshing to have so many delightfully different shops. I hate it when you visit somewhere and all the shops are just the same as the ones at home. All have to use the same window display as well so there is no variation. It is the same as a lot of these shopping outlets so predictable and dull.
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2012 10:59pm (Dec 31st 2012)

That's one of the things I love about my local town, there aren't any of "those" stores. Well there is a Morrison's but we've hidden it up the hill behind the Town Hall - which its self is a very impressive building!

We do have a lot of charity shops, which I don't have any problem with. Most of my clothes come from there anyway...
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd, 2013 6:30am (Jan 2nd 2013)

Love the pics once agin NN really interesting. That chair is fabulous, I want one too CC!