Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2015 3:45pm (Feb 7th 2015)

What about denim? I'm just thinking about the beds I had for the rats and the ones that lasted were the twill cotton outer, with several layers of fleece, and stitched through quilting style. But if she's a determined chewer I doubt anything will stand up to those needle sharp teeth!
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2015 6:16pm (Feb 7th 2015)

You could cut some carpet to the exact size of her crate, that was recommended to us for Zoey. Don't know if it'd work or not as we never tried it, we're just mean and make her sleep with nothing...better safe than sorry :smile:

Our friend is coming around tomorrow, meaning Kasper and Zoey get to get very over-excited saying hello to him - oh goody! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2015 7:23pm (Feb 8th 2015)

That's a good idea!
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2015 11:15pm (Feb 8th 2015)

farm.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2015 12:21am (Feb 12th 2015)

Kasper behaving in his crate, waiting for the dog jerky in my pocket whilst I clean up the mess Zoey's made!
      mess5.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2015 6:43am (Feb 13th 2015)

He looks so grand in his new harness...such a pretty boy.
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2015 6:26pm (Feb 15th 2015) edited

Thanks Lynn :smile: he is very photogenic. And very pretty. He gets mistaken for a girl all the time haha!

Some photos of Zoey being so well behaved whilst I do some crafty things. I was making some cards today and there were bags of bits and bobs all over the place, scissors, glue and card. Zoey just lay on the couch watching, I am AMAZED she didn't try and grab anything and tear it to shreds :smile:
      restraint5.jpg
      restraint4.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th, 2015 9:14pm (Feb 15th 2015)

I hope she got a nice treat for being so good! She's a pretty girl. xx
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 3:42pm (Feb 16th 2015)

Posted By: Red Zoey just lay on the couch watching, I am AMAZED she didn't try and grab anything and tear it to shreds

:surprised:How could you even THINK such a thing - shame on you!!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th, 2015 4:04pm (Feb 16th 2015) edited

I know, how cruel of me to expect that of her! I mean, she definitely didn't destroy an entire roll of wrapping paper the other night...or try and tear apart my slipper whilst I was in the kitchen... :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2015 5:30pm (Feb 23rd 2015) edited

Some pup pics...Zoey showing off that, yes, she does have an impressively large head (!) and both dogs doing a down stay together :smile:
      two1.jpg
      two2.jpg
      two3.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2015 7:33pm (Feb 23rd 2015)

The last pic of them doing the "down stay" is my favorite, they both looks so intelligent..love the pics.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2015 4:01pm (Feb 25th 2015) edited

I love getting them to pose for photos together! :)

Lyle was eating a veggie sausage roll the other day and a huge bit of pastry fell off it. Both dogs went to eat it at the same time before we could ask them to leave it. I was sure Kasper was gonna start resource guarding from Zoey, but amazingly they both hoovered up the crumbs nearest to them and there was no tension at all...amazed doesn't even come close! :smile:

Zoey has been wired these past few days. Normally she's so lazy, she only gets two walks a day, a 40 - 60 minute and a 30 - 40 minute, then she's pooped. Not these past few nights, she's been leaping all over us, getting over-excited over nothing, barking at Twoli, bothering Kasper when he's sleeping (normally it's the other way round). We did an hour of training and find it games last night, and even that wasn't enough!!

And the real bummer was we couldn't even walk her when she was lively as it was raining, and who's scared of the rain?! :001_rolleyes:

She did eventually conk out, but sheesh!

It did mean I got lots of training photos though, so here they are: both sitting and waiting together, Zoey following an "up" command onto the couch (she's mid-air in the pic!), both doing "tall" (standing on their back legs) and then working on impulse control. Zoey is great at the impulse game we play and Kasper is just a star at leave its in general. I can throw kibble so it bounces off his body and he won't even look at it! :smile:
      cleo3.jpg
      cleo4.jpg
      cleo5.jpg
      cleo6.jpg
      cleo7.jpg
      cleo8.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2015 6:19pm (Feb 27th 2015)

If she's desperate to go out and it's raining, might it be an ideal time to get her out in it?
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2015 7:58pm (Feb 27th 2015)

Chloe doesn't like the rain either..I have to go out with her using a big umbrella over her..she says she prefers to stay inside and pee on the carpet on rainy days. :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2015 8:10pm (Feb 27th 2015) edited

We're actually able to get her out in fine rain now...she shakes a lot and looks to us for more treats, but she's OUT in it! Unfortunately if it's any heavier than a fine mist, she just goes into cower mode...she curls into a ball and refuses to walk unless we're going in the direction of home!! :rolling: She won't even eat treats, not even hot dog - that's how serious her displeasure is!

Had some workmen in the house today, so the dogs stayed up in the bedroom with me. They both did very well; usually Kasper gets very freaked out and Zoey gets stressed as she wants to be able to say hello! But today I kept them busy doing find it games and tricks, and they were pretty calm - Kasper barked one solitary time when they knocked on the door, and Zoey tried to get up to mischief if I didn't keep her focused, but I was so impressed! :smile:

Some photos of Zoey...she was begging me to take them, I had my camera out hoping to get a snap of the elusive Cleo, and Zoey was just following me around the room waiting for her close up :rolling:
      pig3.jpg
      pig4.jpg
      pig5.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2015 3:55pm (Feb 28th 2015) edited

She is SUCH a poser. If you'd been born before digital doobreys, Red, you would have absolutely no money owing to developing costs! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2015 5:20pm (Mar 1st 2015)

One thing you can say about Zoey..she's NOT camera shy...adorable pictures, Red.:heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2015 1:17pm (Mar 4th 2015)

Hahahaha! I print out digital pics to go in their baby books CC and that's expensive enough for me!!

Problem is whenever I try to get a photo of anything else, she's always just there Lynn! Often when she's sleeping on the couch she will wake up if I pick the camera up :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2015 8:28pm (Mar 4th 2015) edited

The signs of a true camera hog..the "Queen of Photo Bombing":rollonfloorlaughing:
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2015 6:31pm (Mar 6th 2015) edited

:bigsmile:

The pups have some really posh kibble today. Usually we pay £23 for a 15kg bag of good quality kibble...today, because our next batch isn't due to arrive until Monday and we're running low, we payed £10 for a 2kg bag of different kibble!!

It's a new brand apparently and the ingredients are really good. The kibble is cute looking and both dogs wolfed it down - even picky Zoey! Still, at that price I don't think we'll be buying it for all their food :smile:

I've been looking up home cooking most their food, so they'd get 75% home cooked and 25% kibble. It's something I'm thinking about anyway.
      kibble.jpg
      kibble1.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2015 4:46pm (Mar 7th 2015)

Cute looking??? They're BISCUITS, how can a biscuit be cute??? :rolling: I hope they don't develop expensive tastes, Red! I speak as one whose cat can read barcodes...
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2015 12:15am (Mar 8th 2015)

I was watching Crufts earlier and they had a 'deli' counter for dogs! All the food was cooked fresh and looked really appetising. It's worth looking into, especially when you are so interested in that sort of thing. They used to love the treats didn't they.
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2015 8:13pm (Mar 8th 2015) edited

:rolling: Well, most kibble is square-ish shaped so I appreciate anything different...triangles and discs get me excited! :rolling:

Someone online has been giving me tips about home cooking for the dogs, I think they'd LOVE it! Kasper eats anything of course but Zoey is very picky, and I know she'd appreciate human-type food. I might go 50-50 with kibble though, just to make absolutely sure they're getting everything they need. Yes, they love their treats...especially the liver ones and cheesy feet we make! :smile:

My dad brought us a gift today, a large model of a character from a video game. I had both dogs sit by it for some photos to send him, they did very well, I didn't even have to ask them to leave it. Zoey was all over it but as soon as I picked the camera up she was sitting to attention!
      duke.jpg
      duke1.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2015 10:26pm (Mar 8th 2015)

What character is it? Can't work it out! I think a 50:50 mix would be good - gives them something crunchy too. As a child (many years ago!) the 'norm' was to feed Chappie dog food with a handful of Winalot biscuits in. That was as exciting as dog food got!
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2015 3:04pm (Mar 9th 2015) edited

I mix food for Tuppence; cheaper organic stuff with a bit of hugely expensive fussyb*gger cat biscuits (not that they call it that, but that's what it amounts to!).
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2015 6:40pm (Mar 9th 2015)

I use to boil a chicken and add rice to make my dogs food when she got sick..it was easier on her tummy.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2015 6:47pm (Mar 13th 2015)

It's Duke Nukem Kate :bigsmile:

Yes Lynn we feed our pups pasta and chicken when they're sick. We bought some cheap pork for them today so they'll be getting that with tea...

I always keep an eye out in the reduced section to see if there's anything for the dogs, it's where we got the squid from! Zoey's also got some yoghurt because her baldy bit on top of her head is looking baldy-er than usual...no idea what it is, she's had it since she was a puppy and none of the vets were worried about it!

Here's soggy Kasper chilling under a towel. We couldn't walk Zoey until almost midnight yesterday because of the rain!
      cute.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2015 6:08pm (Mar 14th 2015) edited

Well both of my pups have come down with Kennel Cough now...the dog from across the street "Dexter", that is Frodo's best friend, came down with it after being at doggy daycare. He was really sick for several days. Frodo has had shots for it, but I guess not from this strain of it. He is getting better, but now baby Chloe has it. She is so little I'm afraid she will have to go to the vet this weekend..if it's not one thing, it's another around here.:svengo:
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2015 6:56pm (Mar 14th 2015)

O Lord, I hope they're better soon, Lynn, especially Chloe as she's so weeny. :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2015 5:49am (Mar 15th 2015)

Frodo seems to be much better, but little Chloe is just about the same..no worse, but no better either.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2015 6:57pm (Mar 15th 2015)

Oh your poor pups Lynn! I hope they both recover as soon as possible, and that little Chloe especially is okay :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2015 12:16am (Mar 17th 2015)

I hope the pups are feeling better soon - what can the vet give them? Antibiotics or is it some sort of viral thing?
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2015 4:52am (Mar 17th 2015)

I've got an appointment with the Vet at 11:00 in the morning, little Chloe is no better, in fact maybe a bit worse. I'm not taking any chances with my little one. Frodo seems much better tonight. This afternoon some girl was walking out on the road with 2 dogs, some kind of hound and a Newfoundland..(120 pounds, don't know what that is in stones) and he broke free from her and rammed right through our electric driveway gate, to get at Frodo and his buddy Dexter the lab from across the street. Dexter ran to the shop, so Don went to see what was going on. The Newfoundland started running down the driveway at Don..that was all Frodo needed..he got in his "herd dog mode" and took the Newfoundland's legs right out from under him so fast, the dog didn't know what hit him. The owner of the dogs was then able to get the leash and get her dog out of here. Don was so proud of Frodo for taking on a dog 3 times bigger and kicking his butt, just to save his daddy from being attacked.
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2015 5:04pm (Mar 17th 2015)

What a hero! :heart: Well done, Frodo. What a little trooper he is...
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2015 7:30pm (Mar 17th 2015)

Wow that's fantastic! He's so brave - and fancy instinctively knowing what to do like that. Was Dexter OK as well?

Hope Chloe is OK, let us know how she gets on. :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2015 7:57pm (Mar 17th 2015)

Boarder collies have pretty strong instincts to herd things. I just got back from the Vet, Chloe has antibiotics and cough syrup that I have to give her for the next few days..I just hope she is well by Monday, so we can keep the appointment to have her spayed. I have another Vet coming here this afternoon to give the horses their shots..that's always so much fun (NOT)!
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2015 8:24pm (Mar 25th 2015) edited

I hope Chloe is feeling a little better Lynn :heart:

I love Newfoundlands, but they're so big! Where we used to live there was a dog aggressive Newfie, and the owner could barely hold it!! Whenever we bumped into it we ended up practically running away before it could break free!!

Some snaps of the pups I've been meaning to share. I LOVE the one of Zoey snuggled under the blanket...I mean, how adorable is that?! :smile:

And Kasper's bunch of toys and treats for his gotcha (yes, there is a packet of cat treats...both our pups love cat treats! :001_rolleyes: )

Zoey 'singing' :rolling: She was asleep on the couch, and me and Lyle were playfighting with Kasper on the floor. Zoey wanted to join in, but was too lazy, so just howled from the couch instead! :rofl:

And finally Kasper with the newest addition...can you see him peeking over the rim of the cage, bottom left? :smile:
      4gotcha.jpg
      4gotcha7.jpg
      4gotcha6.jpg
      4gotcha5.jpg
      4gotcha14.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2015 10:02pm (Mar 25th 2015)

Love the pictures..my favorite is Zoey howling..she's so funny.:rollonfloorlaughing:
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2015 4:56pm (Mar 26th 2015)

Happy Gotcha, Kasp!
    I tuned a piano on Tuesday where there are 2 huuuuuuuuuuuge black newfies. When I left I looked as though I'd been slimed as in Ghostbusters! Lovely dogs but blimey they're slobbery!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2015 8:22pm (Mar 26th 2015) edited

Thanks Lynn! Ah yes, Zoey is hilarious - she constantly makes us laugh :)

Thanks CC! :smile: Hahaha! The person who used to live opposite us when I was about 8, she had three dogs. Of course I was over there constantly, I totally fell in love with them. She had a tiny Terrier cross, a Collie x that was a rescue (don't remember if the others were or not) and a Great Dane...practically the size of me, and he was very slobbery too! :bigsmile:

So we gave Kasper his 'gotcha day' walk around dinner time, and straight after we got home we had to take Zoey out! We were only planning to give her a 45 minute walk, but as we drew closer to the beach we saw it was free and decided to give her a longer walk. We were out about 90 minutes, and at one point Zoey waded through this flooded bit of field and was up to her shoulders in water...quite a change from the puppy we had to carry over puddles :smile: She had a fantastic time, but jeez me and Lyle are sore now!!
    And here's the puppy herself, relaxing in the sunshine :)

photo long_zpsorfmmyqs.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2015 8:25pm (Mar 26th 2015)

Oh, and here's the blog I did about Kasper's 'gotcha day'...it has a little about the first day we met him, so I'll share in case anyone's interested, although I've probably bored you with it before :tooth:
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2015 10:35pm (Mar 27th 2015)

I love the one of Zoey howling too - very cute! And Kasper being photobombed by a hamster - hysterical!!! xx
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2015 11:05pm (Apr 3rd 2015)

Kasper is SO good with the hamster!

Zoey didn't notice Prim (hamster) for a while, but she sure has now! Prim has learnt to sit at the front of the cage to beg for treats...Zoey takes this as an invitation to play :001_rolleyes: She jumps up and down into a play bow and play snaps and tries to lick him...thankfully Prim doesn't seem bothered by this!! :rolling:

And a photo of Kasper from lunch today...I think he wanted some? :rofl:
      l4d5.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2015 4:33pm (Apr 4th 2015)

Hedge and gherkin on toast?:blink:
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2015 11:04pm (Apr 4th 2015)

Puff pastry, soft cheese, sundried tomatoes, fried courgette and salted rocket! ;)

Oh, I forgot to talk about Zoey's best night ever a few days ago. Our friend came round, and he's Zoey's favourite person in the world. We took her on a big walk to tire her out, and kept her harness and lead on in the house so we could keep her away from him. We even stuffed her Kong with wet dog food and dental sticks to try distract her...she was not to be distracted.

She had the Kong in her gob and raced over to say hi to him. Her tail was wagging so fast it was a blur, and she kept bumping our friend's face with her Kong when she tried to lick him with it in her mouth!! After the Kong was emptied she grabbed one of Kasper's gotcha toys (he doesn't like it) and proceeded to beat our friend about the head with the hard plastic ends of that :rolling:

If we had given Kasper a stuffed Kong and anyone had gone near him, he would very clearly have told them to sod off! Zoey is SUCH a sap; nobody realises this because "Oh she's a Staffy and they're vicious!!" She's never once growled at us. The one and only time she's growled at a dog was when it was hanging off her face by its' teeth (I think I'd growl then too...). I can roll over her in my sleep and she's happy because I'm touching her. Kasper can walk over her whilst she's dozing and she adores him. She's the softest dog I've ever met and I love her for it.

She was with our friend 2.5 hours, and she didn't calm down at all! She spent the entire time demanding fuss from him. Her eyes were red with tiredness by the end but she wouldn't give up, so we had to put her in her crate with her chew toys for a snooze :smile:

She had another brilliantly happy moment today when Kasper snuggled up on the couch and slept with his head on her body. Zoey has been trying since puppyhood to get Kasper to snuggle with her, and I can count the numbers she's actually managed it one one hand...so yeah, happy Zoey!
      l4d11.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2015 11:16pm (Apr 4th 2015) edited

I tried to get a photo of her conked out on the living room carpet after a walk last night...somewhere between when my finger pressed the button and the camera took the photo, this happened:
      l4d10.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2015 3:51pm (Apr 5th 2015)

She's LAUGHING at you! I love the pic of them snuggled together...:heart:
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2015 6:32pm (Apr 6th 2015)

She's such a lovely dog and a real credit to you. Good job your friend likes dogs!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2015 8:53pm (Apr 6th 2015)

Zoey is so cute..I love that pic of Kasper with his head on her.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2015 6:33pm (Apr 9th 2015)

Thank you!! It's so sweet when they do snuggle, especially when Kasper initiates it. And yes, Zoey's a real happy dog! :tooth:

My parents are coming up tonight, and my dad's said he'll fuss the dogs. Both of them. At the same time. It's gonna be pandemonium!! :tooth:

I took my camera on Zoey's walk today; I missed the sun yesterday with a really bad headache so I wanted to get out in it today...we were out all of 20 minutes, I forgot how much hot weather poops Zoey out!! :smile:

Ready and raring to go...

photo sun7_zpsnscxwzsb.jpg

A brief pause for a cuddle with daddy :smile:

photo sun9_zps6mlcgke7.jpg

Hi Zoey!!

photo sun10_zpssix36qk3.jpg

Sprinting about in a loon-like fashion...

photo sun11_zps0tyzwyw5.jpg

Rolling on a dead thing

photo sun12_zpss8456oon.jpg

Lookit that smiiiiile! :smile:

photo sun14_zpsnq5dmwbc.jpg

What a pretty girl :smile:

photo sun15_zps7rz1pgfa.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2015 7:20pm (Apr 9th 2015)

Awww, happy dog!!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2015 5:22am (Apr 10th 2015)

I love that picture of her rolling on a "dead thing"..LOL :rollonfloorlaughing: It looks like what goes on around here.
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2015 7:20pm (Apr 10th 2015) edited

Such a great smiler :smile:

Lynn, only Zoey rolls on dead stinky things. Kasper only rolls on the ground when he's been swimming. And when Zoey rolls, she has this look of pure joy on her face...so we just let her get on with it, no matter how filthy she gets!!

Had a great time with my parents yesterday. As promised my dad came to see the dogs afterwards - omg I've never realised how helpful giving Zoey a walk before meeting new people is!! She was all over my dad like a big, slobbery, love-filled rash! She was climbing over him, leaping on and off him...he was covered in marks and slobber afterwards!

My mum wanted to know if Kasper (who barely gave my parents a glance) was more disciplined than Zoey. So I explained that for Kasper, his top reinforcers go something like this:

1. Meat
    2. Walkies
    3. Stinky treats
    4. Treats
    5. Kibble

People don't even make the list! Whereas Zoey's is:

1. Dive-bombing people
    2. Chewing on / kissing people
    3. Wagging at people
    4. Watching people / other dogs
    5. Meat

Kasper's calm is because he doesn't really care about people that much, whereas for Zoey they are the most important thing in the world. I had hotdog, so Kasper was willing to do any trick I asked of him. Zoey ignored the hotdog and only just managed to do a 'sit' with my dad present. Different floats for different boats!

My parents also got to go to the doggy boutique in Stoke that I used to *love*...so jealous :P They bought the pups cupcakes and donuts...om nom nom!
      easter2.jpg
      easter3.jpg
      easter6.jpg
      easter5.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2015 7:22pm (Apr 10th 2015)

Oh, and here's a goofball video of Zoey...she's pretty damn adorable! ^__^

Towards the end of her video I ask her questions about her 'uncle' Neil too!!

• CommentTimeApr 10th, 2015 9:23pm (Apr 10th 2015)

Isn't it grandad Neil?!
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2015 4:16pm (Apr 11th 2015)

"Uncy Neil" sounds so much cuter though :tooth:
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2015 5:39pm (Apr 11th 2015) edited

Had a mammoth training session with the pups today as it's too sunny to take Zoey out.They loved it. I worked with Zoey on a new trick; turning in a circle on the outside of my legs as I turn. And Kasper, too; bumping a target with his nose. I hope to blu-tak the target to a door and teach Kasper to close doors!!

Kasper can also play dead and do leave its whilst the treats bounce off his body...again. Hopefully this time I'll keep up with it so he doesn't forget them a second time! :smile:

We were training for about half an hour total, then played like maniacs...

Here's the before and in-trraining photos...

Zoey chilling in the sun

photo alpha4_zpsurh6q5gy.jpg

Both giving attention

photo alpha5_zpshqcekhbg.jpg

Taking turns; me training Zoey on the floor and Kasper waiting his turn on the couch

photo alpha6_zpsaodcbe10.jpg

Down stays

photo alpha7_zpsmx2bysza.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2015 5:40pm (Apr 11th 2015)

After training pics...did I mention they are knackered?! :tooth:

photo alpha9_zps88ypyesu.jpg

photo alpha10_zpsjjwlk7ni.jpg

Yes, Kasper was actually panting!!

photo alpha12_zpsl9vagiql.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2015 5:40pm (Apr 11th 2015) edited

And, because she is so damn adorable...:heartsabove:

photo alpha11_zpsuslh8yit.jpg

I also "alpha rolled" Kasper last night...that is shoved him onto his side & back. Look how bothered he was :rolling:

photo alpha_zpsdjjynkmh.jpg

That people think that is a useful training aid baffles me...

Then we played

photo alpha2_zpszu2j0lz4.jpg

And I grabbed his muzzle

photo alpha1_zpsfrkytyxw.jpg

• CommentTimeApr 11th, 2015 6:12pm (Apr 11th 2015)

Zoey learning circle...my favourite thing about this video isn't how well she does, it's how happy she looks! Tail wagging, bright, alert and eager to learn...awesome :tooth:

• CommentTimeApr 16th, 2015 11:51pm (Apr 16th 2015) edited

Sleepy Zoey, hungry Zoey...two of the many faces of Zoey :rofl:
      early`.jpg
      snort2.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2015 6:20am (Apr 18th 2015)

There is only one face of Zoey, Red..and it's adorable all the time. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2015 7:51pm (Apr 18th 2015) edited

Posted By: LynnWThere is only one face of Zoey, Red..and it's adorable all the time

:rolling: I love this!!

And here's a photo of both dogs in pretty much the same position, LOL

photo kasper_zpsonxiohhi.jpg

Also we ordered one of Kasper's main presents today, for his birthday next month (same day as Lyle's) It's a doggy pool!

• CommentTimeApr 20th, 2015 7:09pm (Apr 20th 2015)

LOL!! Will we get a picture of Kasper and Lyle sharing it?!
    • CommentTimeApr 20th, 2015 11:31pm (Apr 20th 2015)

Well, if you REALLY want one..!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2015 5:25pm (Apr 21st 2015)

Might need a "warning-disturbing content" title on it! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2015 7:41pm (Apr 21st 2015)

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2015 6:54am (Apr 22nd 2015)

Beautiful morning walk with Zoey. Saw the sunrise and had the cutest encounter with sheep! They'd escaped from their field onto the dog walk (happens often) and we were walking towards them. Mummy sheep flees from us with her two adorable lambies.

Then as we're about 6 feet away SIX lamb faces pop around a rock face and peep at us - squeee!!!

Zoey was *so* excited and wanted to play haha! They sprinted across in front of us to safety and we moved forwards...only to realise two lambs were now stranded, with mum on one side and us blocking their route to her.

They dared get pretty close, then we shuffled a little so they could be reunited. Sooo sweet, they were Lottie size and breed too!

As we crossed the field we saw a fox sprinting away from us, very majestic. Someone in the village stopped us the other week to show us a photo he took on his camera (he saw me with my camera on a walk once), and it was a photo of a mother fox sunbathing. Said he'd seen her and the babies too, around where we walked this morning, so I wonder if it was the same one...
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2015 12:13am (Apr 26th 2015)

Look at her jowly bit whilst she sleeps!! :rolling:

photo turd1_zps4hw07ehq.jpg
    Pretty girl :)

photo turd4_zpsgr8sh7bt.jpg

Hi!!!

photo turd3_zpsic6slley.jpg

And Kasper wasn't left out either...

photo turd8_zpsr5rg4pvb.jpg

Nose :smile:

photo turd7_zpsf9nosmyx.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2015 5:10pm (Apr 26th 2015)

Bought something from eBay and collected it yesterday and they had the most beautiful brindle staffy. Vicious beast; I thought her whole rear end was going to drop off she was wagging so hard!
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2015 11:06pm (Apr 27th 2015)

Oh sounds like Zoey!!! If she's excited to see someone (she rarely gets this giddy with us unless we're playing) her tail goes fast enough to *really* hurt!! My parents' old next door neighbour had a gorgeous Brindle Staffy called Sadie...she was beautiful, fell in love way before I knew what a Staffy was :smile:

Incidentally, that's the dog Milly had to fly past to get to our neighbours who let her in and fed her!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2015 9:32pm (Apr 28th 2015) edited

Kasper chose a cue!! :smile:

This shows how damn clever he is. I've been working with the trick "beg" (different from what he knows to be sit pretty). He's got it down, and I do a hand signal (which I'll fade) and he'll balance on his back legs - SO CUTE!!

Anyway, I said "can you do that again?" as I was about to do the hand signal, and he immediately got into the beg position! I was like 'huh?!'

So I said "can you do it again?", and right away he balanced on his back legs with no hand signal needed! I must have said "can you do it again?" a few times as encouragement, right before doing the hand signal, and Kasper learnt that was the verbal cue for beg!! Bit weird from a human perspective; saying "beg" would have made sense, not sure about "can you do it again" :rolling:

Goes to show how much easier Kasper understands verbal signals...Zoey is all about the hand signals :smile: Just recently (bearing in mind she is 2.5 years old) she finally lay down with me just saying "lie down", no hand signal needed
    • CommentTimeApr 29th, 2015 3:26pm (Apr 29th 2015)

Awww, I thought you were teaching Kasp snooker...!He's so quick and clever; that'll be the collie in him, I expect.
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2015 5:35pm (Apr 30th 2015)

He's obscenely clever...for example, when Lyle goes upstairs and Kasper is left alone in the living room, he's good as gold - UNTIL he hears Lyle go to the toilet! Then Kasper races and barges open the kitchen door and snuffles around for food, because he knows Lyle can't run down and tell him to get out!!

I wish our kitchen door shut properly... XD

However Zoey picks things up much faster than Kasper, which is odd. She learns new tricks almost instantly. Staffies are 'supposedly' not very intelligent, but I haven't found that with any I've worked with, and certainly not Zoey :smile:

Also, Kasper's birthday gift arrived, his paddling pool.

I introduced Zoey to it in the house with no water, as I was expecting her to be fearful of this new huge 'thing'. She wasn't, she jumped right in!

photo paddle1_zpsbnx7ng8e.jpg

Then we took it outside and put an inch of water in it. I'd just like to repeat, Kasper LOVES water, any water...puddles, ponds, rivers, the sea - he's not picky!

Well, Kasper hated the paddling pool!! :tearhair:

So yeah, haha! Me and Lyle climbed in and splashed about, giggling like idiots, and Kasper watched from the edge, grinning and wagging. I riled him up, "Kasper, you coming in?! Woohoo! Come on Kaper, get in!" etc etc and he raced around the pool edge play bowing and wagging like crazy :rolling:

photo paddle2_zpsxktlp0ml.jpg

At one point he dipped *one toe* into the water, then whipped it out like it was acid *palm head*

Then, because I'd got Kasper so excited, he started playfighting with Zoey..

photo paddle4_zps7svtsmtb.jpg

...which she loved :tooth:

photo paddle5_zps9wvjlwr3.jpg

So...I may need to counter condition him to it from scratch :rofl:
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2015 12:04am (May 2nd 2015)

The one thing guaranteed is that animals never do what's expected. When people come to rehoming to collect cats the agressive ones will walk straight in to the carrier and the gentle souls will fight as if we're trying to drop them into acid.
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2015 7:51pm (May 3rd 2015)

:icon_ninja: Stealth Zoey!!! :icon_ninja:

Here I am eating a delicious meal cooked by Lyle...

photo again1 - Copy_zps8nltzhaa.jpg

Zoey moves closer

photo again2 - Copy_zpsrczj707p.jpg

Next time I look up she's closer still!

photo again3 - Copy_zpsxrz2jo0d.jpg

And she's practically on my lap :rolling:

photo again4 - Copy_zpsemacrnkc.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2015 2:01pm (May 4th 2015)

A bit like that video where the cat's getting closer and closer every time he cuts away from it...scary! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2015 10:40pm (May 4th 2015) edited

Oh yes, she's so stealthy XD

Here is the happiest dog in the world (yes, he had just been for a walk ;) )

photo blurry6_zpsrjguqipm.jpg

Zoey's "I am sleepy and cute" face

photo blurry3_zpszqmxqp0u.jpg]

Tired Zoey and vaguely interested Kasper

photo blurry4_zps0wrpm5ya.jpg

Here's my medium and high energy dogs at about 4pm with neither of them having a walk. We had done lots of training and wrestling though, so they were able to relax...love Zoey's face in the background XD

photo blurry5_zpsrqaop3om.jpg

I AM GOING TO EAT YOUUUU!!

photo blurry7_zpsf0tzgyhh.jpg

And taken literally a second later, Zoey is calm and focused...and ever so pretty :tooth:

photo blurry9_zpsgtqmngbm.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2015 3:53pm (May 5th 2015)

I saw my fave dog today - Susy the Staffy/Sharpei cross who looks like a very very worried staffy. :heart: She reminds me of Zoey with her alert face.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2015 9:23pm (May 5th 2015)

I love the pictures, Red...I swear Zoey just keeps getting cuter all the time. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2015 12:08am (May 6th 2015) edited

I love Shar Peis. I remember meeting my first one as a kid thinking it looked incredible!

Awww, thanks Lynn! I would tell Zoey what you said, but her head is already big enough... :bigsmile:

Lyle brought home a chicken today (sorry, it's not alive ;) )

I asked Kasper and Zoey to help look after her, which they willingly did...Zoey struggled a little (the chicken was, after all, VERY interesting!) but I am *amazed* at how well she did. She even offered eye contact!!

photo chuck6_zpsbv3lwkzj.jpg

Kasper didn't care, obviously ;)

photo chuck16_zpsqv5d14pb.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2015 12:21am (May 6th 2015) edited

And a package arrived for Lyle's birthday later this month; it was covered in annoying tape, so I let Zoey help me open it :tooth:

She wanted it so bad, but she knew she had to sit to get it...

photo chuck7_zpsezun2cks.jpg

Jowly pleb, attack!!

photo chuck9_zpsaqamij2y.jpg

Getting a better grip...

photo chuck10_zpsgdrcxsjj.jpg

Then I had a cardboard plantpot left over from Prim, so I used it as a prop with the dogs! I balanced treats on top and had the dogs wait to be released...you can see how good Kasper is at taking his turn and waiting on the couch whilst I train with Zoey in the pic below. I could release Zoey to eat the treats and he wouldn't move a muscle!

photo chuck13_zpsldqtaroc.jpg

"Must. Not. Move."

photo chuck14_zps7e53jles.jpg

And Kasper makes it look too easy, offering eye contact!

photo chuck15_zpsxospxrrf.jpg
    I love 'em!! :)
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2015 5:55pm (May 7th 2015)

Love the picture of Zoey trying to hold still..LOL
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2015 8:47pm (May 7th 2015)

She tries so hard, bless her. The chicken was the hardest, she was practically trembling with the effort of not moving!!

Impressive photo alert!

I adore this photo of Zoey, it's one of my favourites. Not only does she look beautiful, but the treat is for grabs right next to her, yet she is giving me eye contact. I didn't even ask for it, and it's not something she usually does...SO glad I had my camera handy! :bigsmile:

photo gifts7_zpsgzndpq1r.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2015 5:51pm (May 8th 2015)

She's torn between the chicken and smiling for the camera...:heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2015 6:20pm (May 9th 2015)

Both the pups have a tummy bug, uuuugh!

Kasper started being sick early yesterday, he was sick twice so got no grub. Then he was fine. We had a friend come round, and Kasper spent some time with him and all was well. Then he was sick three times through the night. He seems right as rain now though and is plebbing about because he hasn't been fed or had a walk!

Zoey was fine all yesterday, she got to go on a huge walk with our friend and had a great time. But then was sick once this morning, and is miserable now! She is using squinty eyes and lowered head to tell us she feels very unwell...she's hardly been sick since we got her at 10 weeks old, so I don't think she's used to it. Kasper has been sick that many times he breezes through it!

Lyle has had to clean up every bit of sick as I have been in bed for them all...taking this med finally pays off! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2015 6:20pm (May 9th 2015) edited

Oh! We got a delivery too! :bigsmile:

Three samples of grain free kibble!! And of course it arrived when both dogs are poorly and can't eat :rolling:

I'm still saving up to buy a big bag (at £96 for an 18kg bag it's a lot of saving!!) but these samples will help me see what flavour Zoey likes best :smile:
      sick3.jpg
      sick4.jpg
      sick8.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2015 9:03pm (May 10th 2015)

Poor puppies! Hope they feel better soon. xx
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2015 12:44am (May 11th 2015)

I hope your pups will be feeling better soon, Red..poor babies.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2015 2:04am (May 11th 2015)

They are much improved today, thank you :)

They started trying to play (noisily!) at 4am *sigh* Today they have been obnoxious; Kasper obsessed with food and stealing items, Zoey literally running laps around the room. They've both had some pasta which they've kept down, and have each had a small walk. Of course that's not enough for them *double sigh* :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2015 5:37pm (May 11th 2015)

I hope you've had your nurse's uniform on, Red. And earplugs in...:face-smile: So glad they've perked up, even if they're giving you a hard time!
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2015 9:53pm (May 11th 2015) edited

Thanks CC! :tooth:

We spent the night before last camped out in the living room so we could sleep with both dogs without worrying about puke on the bed! We got virtually no sleep (dogs got the sofa of course, we got the floor...). When they hadn't been sick all yesterday we slept with both of them upstairs, and then Kasper got a long walk this morning. Zoey has only had a short walk, with a big walk planned later tongight... :smile:

They've both had substantial meals today. Kasper is still a little wired, even after a good sized walk...he seems to retain the "aaaagh you haven't walked me!" feeling for a few days after normal walks are resumed *rolls eyes* And Zoey is going (gone?) loopy...we've done a ton of training all day and stuffed pasta in her puzzle toys, and finally she is resting.

I've been working a lot on handling / vet-type handling recently. So holding her lip open for longer periods of time (we've only worked up to about 5 seconds, but it's not bad!), asking her to give paw then pressing the nib of a pen into it to simulate an injection.

I've also been holding her scruff tight-ish and wiggling it, checking she is totally comfortable and can look me in the eyes happily whilst doing so. I've worked hard over the years getting her used to me grabbing her scruff, as her old 'owner' (the idiot who had her 2 weeks and left her out in the winter cold) said he'd been grabbing her scruff and twisting it until she yelped. To punish her. She was 8 weeks old!! So I like to keep showing her how great having her scruff grabbed is :smile:

Training pics, in order =
    1) and 2) Leg touches
    3) Down / stay / leave it
    4) 'How high' (stand on back legs)
    5) Wave her right paw
    6) Kasper taking turns - look at his dainty crossed paws! :rolling:
    7) Let me check your teeth! :smile:
      barking4.jpg
      barking5.jpg
      barking6.jpg
      barking7.jpg
      barking8.jpg
      barking9.jpg
      barking11.png
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2015 7:00pm (May 12th 2015)

Ooo, lookit dem fangs!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2015 12:47am (May 14th 2015)

My favorite is 4th from the bottom of Zoey standing up..soooooo cute!
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2015 8:54pm (May 14th 2015)

Likewise Lynn!!
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2015 9:23pm (May 14th 2015) edited

Hahaha she loves jumping!! Here she is leaping madly and being scruffed too...you can see she is happily keeping eye contact :smile:
      can9.jpg
      can10.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2015 9:04pm (May 17th 2015) edited

The fantastic people over at Barking Heads ( http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/ ) sent me some free samples out aaaages ago, but they arrived the day that both pups started being sick!

They are fully recovered now, and able to eat anything edible, so we thought we'd try them out with it. They sent us a sample of 'fish-n-delish', 'turky delight' and 'quackers'.

(I might have shared these first few before, bear with me :smile: )

photo sick4_zpsodrcpzke.jpg

The packaging was very cute too!

photo sick3_zpsgio9cxew.jpg

photo sick5_zps2tom1ogo.jpg

I fed Zoey them one at a time, as she is the picky eater. That way I could see if she liked one better than the other, and (when I have saved up enough) buy a large bag of that variety!

photo can12_zpscfikyjrq.jpg

She loved them all!! This is very unusual for her, normally she refuses to eat decent kibble and only wolfs down the rubbish stuff with colours :sarcastic:

photo can13_zpsrrxuiuug.jpg

I couldn't even pick a favourite! Then we tried Kasper, and seeing as he will eat anything that even remotely resembles food, I mixed his all in together

photo can14_zpsgku85twu.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get a decent photo of him eating it. I managed to get this...

photo can15_zps1zc6rjgn.jpg

...and by the time the camera was ready to take another (literally 1 / 2 seconds), THIS had happened!! :rolling:

photo can16_zpsoqgc6nik.jpg

"Any more guys??"

So yes, I would highly recommend :bigsmile: These kibbles are minimum 50% meat (for example 50% deboned duck, then others added onto that!) and area also grain free.
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2015 9:08pm (May 17th 2015)

Oh! We also bought two packs of treats from their site for Kasper's birthday. These treats were £2.99 a bag, with about £4 postage. Whilst this is expensive, these treats are excellent quality and the bags are very large, you get a lot!
      barking.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2015 7:06pm (May 19th 2015)

It's good to find something the dogs will enjoy, and what a great company sending samples! I hope they enjoy it as much when you have a big bag - that's if you can make it last with Kasper virtually inhaling it!! (Suppose this is where the phrase wolfing it down comes from!)