• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2013 9:35am (Jan 19th 2013)

This is the first real snowfall for our girls and when Karen opened the coop earlier, instead of running straight out to the garden, they just stood starring :surprised: After 5 minutes 'Cherry' the light Sussex with a Glaswegian accent :_oh_really: (no offense Glaswegians) ventured out a few feet had a good look round and went back in, this is a first they're normally chundering away at first light waiting to get into the garden.
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2013 4:11pm (Jan 19th 2013)

Cherry shows a high degree of intelligence if you ask me! My Lemon chicken did the same after treating me to a glare that melted the enamel on my teeth...
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2013 5:33pm (Jan 19th 2013)

Poor little things they look so worried dont they.
    Most of mine are getting on a bit now and dont mind a small dose of snow and will forage in it. It's the deep stuff they dislike and have a right old growling moan about it. I am sure they think it is all my fault. They get loads of extra rations and some hay to walk about on so it can not be all bad for them.
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2013 7:25pm (Jan 20th 2013)

I don't let my Silkies out in the snow, but we let the big chickens out, they seem to like it, if it isn't too deep.
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2013 9:41pm (Jan 21st 2013) edited

We had another big load of snow dumped on us last night. Grandad North managed to get some lettuces for 10 pence apiece tonight so the girls will be glad of a bit of fresh green. They were trying to forage for some grass earlier
      hennies.jpg
      hennies 2.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2013 3:28pm (Jan 22nd 2013)

You could get them a turf from the garden centre if there's no sign of a thaw, NN.. I like the sign!
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2013 7:22pm (Jan 22nd 2013)

Yes thats a good idea CC. I cleared a couple of paths for them this morning. Bless them they know what I am doing for them and all queue behind me and take a step forward each time I do. It must look real comical to any one watching us !!!1
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2013 10:29am (Jan 23rd 2013)

Your hens are so plump and gorgeous NN and they have lovely decor, beautiful curtains as well!!!:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2013 7:41pm (Jan 23rd 2013)

Oh NN, you should take video as well as photos! What with the hens following you and Sootz talking to GN (other thread) it'd be so funny to see!
    • CommentTimeJan 30th, 2013 4:30pm (Jan 30th 2013)

Thank you TM the curtains are sheets of corregated plastic to keep them dry and wind free. it only goes so far up so we can leave it up all year. I rescued the sign off the road it fell of the council truck and they didnt seem to care and it was just right to keep the draught away at the back there.