Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 5:44am (Jan 12th 2008)

Ok, Wazza..now you REALLY have me confused. I think my eyes are crossing.
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 7:25am (Jan 12th 2008) edited

It sounds like, if one can learn that system, it would give you lots precise location info. Only it seems like it would take an entire class to learn it...

Thanks for spelling it out Wazza. One question tho (of a more grammatical nature) - how do you deal with a sentence where you need to say something in the plural like: *There are several A roads with chuck holes"
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 3:10pm (Jan 12th 2008)

What's a chuck hole? And it's official; I'm too dim to have joined the police!
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 3:29pm (Jan 12th 2008)

When we go anywhere I have to ask hubby which motorway it is. For example, from B'ham to Bradford (here towards chickens!) I'd have to ask if its the M6 (which I know goes past Ikea (swedish furniture store - do you have them in the states?)) or M1 which goes past Nottingham. I think. If I ask where a place is the only answer I need is up, down, left or right in relation to B'ham on a map. I could never work with Wazza - I'd be sacked in the first hour!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 4:46pm (Jan 12th 2008)

Yes, we have an Ikea down in Auburn (south of Seattle) - the lamp I'm using while I type is from there. :)

Finally, I get to explain a word! :D A chuck (or pot hole) is the place in the road where the pavement has come out and your teeth nearly fall out every time you drive over it.

We is there a bird chirping & chirping?? Arrgg. What's up in the hen house?
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 6:09pm (Jan 12th 2008)

We walk on pavements, we don't drive on 'em! Two nations, divided by the same language, as Churchill said.
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 8:13pm (Jan 12th 2008)

Don't Aussies call chickens "chucks"? We need one to join and confirm for us!

Did you find out what the chirping bird was all about Diane? Probably a 'local' in the garden!
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 9:44pm (Jan 12th 2008)

I think it's 'chooks'. 'Chuck' is Mancunian for 'dear', Diane. Year 6...
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 11:28pm (Jan 12th 2008) edited

OMG!!! Just how many dialects ARE there???

What is the surface of a street/motorway called then? The hob?

The thing we walk on in the US is generally called: a side walk. (Funny - just looked up *pavement* and while the first definition is *a paved surface* the second and final one is a side walk. And yet, if I were standing in a creek, next to a *side walk* and a *roadway* and you said: Quick, jump unto the pavement - I'd leap unto the roadway. To be summarily flattened by Wazza driving his police car on the *wrong* side of the road. Lynn? Gloria? Is that true for you? I wonder how many words we use here still retain the exact definition from the Motherland - but aren't how we use them on the street, as it were.)

Its funny - once I had to define *chuck hole* I began to feel as though I'd actually made the term up. Felt better once I looked it up in the Oxford American Dictionary that I now need to keep by my side. *Chuck hole (n) - a hole in the road.* One of the shortest definitions ever. :) So... what do you call them? (Chuck also means: to throw, to give up, to touch playfully under the chin, a part of an unfortunate cow, a part of a drill, and is slang (although I doubt any of us from the US contingent know this either) for food; as in chuck wagon (which we would know-being experts on cowboys & Indians)
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 5:31am (Jan 13th 2008)

no longer a member

Would you believe it.. wazza explaining motorways to every one.. ok some more dribble..

Motorways are Special roads and have more regulations than other roads

They generally have:

2, 3 4 or more LANES

lanes together are known as carraigeways

you always enter a motorway and leave by a SLIP road

along the nearside (Left) you will have a Hard shoulder

and in the Middle a central reservation

we ALWAYS have barrier along the middle and where needed alomng the nearside too

The outside (Right) lane is restricted to vehicles that are permitted to do 70mph.. cars vans small trucks and buses and motorcycles..

Large trucks and busses and vehicles hauling trailers are reduced in speed by law, and are NOT permitted in that outside lane

the surface of the motorway is known as (The Hob ) no its not tee its believe it or not.... The road Surface.

The grass area, embamkment, and places that are not able to be called carriageway, hard shoulder or central reservation will be and are known as VERGE.. except in emergency you are NOT permitted to drive on the Verge

Here endeth the second lesson
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 6:34am (Jan 13th 2008)

Diane, you hit all the definitions for *chuck*..oh, wait you forgot *chuck up*..as in I'm going to *BaRf* :) If you yelled out "hit the pavement", I go stand in the road too Diane. I don't think I ever heard anyone call a sideway *pavement* as far as I can remember.

Wazza, you have me so confused, I don't think I could ever drive in the UK. :)
    We get on and off our *Freeways* with *On Ramps* and *OFF Ramps*..or *Entrance* and *Exit* ramps. We call the *Verge* the *shoulder*..and you can't drive on them over here either.
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 6:41am (Jan 13th 2008)

I call the road surface Tarmac! Such a simple thing so easily confused by language!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:27am (Jan 13th 2008)

Tarmac - that's the surface of an airport or a play ground. LOL
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:34am (Jan 13th 2008)

Wazza - loved your description. While our outside & inside lanes are reversed, they, technically, operate the same way. Our left lane is the *slow* lane and sometimes trucks have supposed to stay in that lane. The right lane is the *passing* lane (or HOV lane where they exist - special lanes for commuters with two or more people in the vehicle, or motorcycles.) Our speed limits vary from 60-70 mph - depending on whether the highway is within or or outside of a city. That means people go 75 to 80 (or 2 mph) depending upon the extent of the traffic jam.
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:34am (Jan 13th 2008)

Diane, Tarmac is an airport runway to me too...Churchill was right :D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:36am (Jan 13th 2008)

He was indeed. Its interesting to look up some of the words the Brits bring up to me - in a US dictionary and find that we just use them incorrectly. LOL
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:37am (Jan 13th 2008)

Lynn - where were you raised? Washington? (I grew up in California & then Canada.)
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:37am (Jan 13th 2008)

Diane..you have your left and right mixed up.
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:42am (Jan 13th 2008)

I was born here and I've never left..except for brief periods...I'm like my horses herd bound and barn sour. :) I love this side of Washington..we have NO poisonous snakes..I hate snakes.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:44am (Jan 13th 2008)

You are absolutely right LOL - mixed up the lanes. :P (I'll leave it though so that your post continues to make sense.)

Agreed - re: the snakes. We had rattle snakes in Calif. And black widow spiders. I asked because our *dialects* are the same. :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:45am (Jan 13th 2008)

OMG - after that adren. rush - all of the sudden I am completely exhausted. I would love to stay and see the eminent opening of the coop and Ride the Cam on Caitlyn's birthday. Not sure I can hang in tho...
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:49am (Jan 13th 2008) edited

Half of the people who live in Washington came from California, Diane even when I was a kid. There are now Black Widow spiders there on Whidbey, Diane..I read that in the paper a while back..I hate spiders too, they're Ewwwwy.
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:50am (Jan 13th 2008)

I think I'm going to have to go to bed now too, Diane..it's almost midnight.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:55am (Jan 13th 2008)

Yes, we think my sister brought them in the 70's when she returned from Death Valley with a cow leg bone full of them. We didn't notice until they were all over the garage.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:55am (Jan 13th 2008)

As they say: We Californicated Washington. LOL.
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 9:12am (Jan 13th 2008)

Goodnight ladies, sleep well. Thanks for sharing my good news!
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 1:51pm (Jan 13th 2008)

The surface of a road is a road surface...!
    What good news? What've I missed, Kate? I'm going to have to whip through the other threads now....
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 2:44pm (Jan 13th 2008)

I made the thread title really obvious!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 6:04pm (Jan 13th 2008)

Yah, but CC's eyes would naturally be drawn to price over baby. ;)
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 6:15pm (Jan 13th 2008)

Well, I start from the bottom and work my way up, you see. Don't know why; perhaps I'm contrary! If she'd been sensible and called the thread 'RING', I'd've looked there first...
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 6:24pm (Jan 13th 2008)

LOL. Tho that's what I do as well usually. It just dawned on me recently to look at how many minutes (hours) since the last post. When people are on-line with me - I might get into an actual chat with them that way, instead of following them around the forum like a stalker.
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2008 7:09pm (Jan 14th 2008)

I start at the top with 'about the girls' and work my way down. But I frequently find that it takes me a post or two to realise what everyone's on about. Is that because everyone goes bottom to top? So illogical (Mr Spock!)
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2008 7:53pm (Jan 14th 2008)

Logic doesn't get you anywhere on this forum, cherub!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2008 8:19pm (Jan 14th 2008)

I've noticed!!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2008 8:28pm (Jan 14th 2008)

Even less so, now...I can't find which bits I've been reading....!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2008 8:34pm (Jan 14th 2008)

You can't please some people!

You might notice there's a "text only" switch now, so if you are on dial-up (or wazza's gone overboard with the pics again ;) ) you can switch it into text-only superfast mode.

You can also hide discussions you're not interested in, and even hide (or block) whole categories too. You should hopefully be able to get it only showing the stuff you want to see. Hopefully.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2008 8:47pm (Jan 14th 2008)

Change = stress Neil. Even good change. We will grow to love it, I'm sure. I do hope there is a way to send "The Girls" to the top - that's my only 'fix wish' :wink:
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2008 8:02am (Jan 15th 2008)

no longer a member

sob..... sorry I have posted so many pics... i will be good from now on and ONLY post one at a time
    • CommentAuthorjimr1603
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2008 1:50pm (Mar 25th 2008)

Something else about motorways. They're the only roads that you may not ride a push bike, or walk along.