• CommentTimeMay 30th, 2013 10:11pm (May 30th 2013)

Gaz asked via email:
    Does that hen move out of the nesting box to eat and drink? Ive been watching 3 days now and its still in the same place.What has made her broody?

Which if you've been watching is Ivy - she's broody and sitting on I don't know how many eggs (which will never hatch).

I was worried she wasn't eating enough so decided that I would forcibly eject her from her nest if she was still on it when I got home from work.

She was, so I had to turf her off. She was NOT happy. She was sat on 13 eggs. I've had to lock her from the nest box as she was trying to get back to them (though they are safely in the house now).

Here's how she looked:

• CommentTimeMay 31st, 2013 1:59pm (May 31st 2013) edited

Wow, did she ever get angy with you or what, Neil, but sometimes that's the only way to make them stop being broody.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2013 2:43pm (May 31st 2013)

I posted my comments on About the Girls".

I get very confused over so very many threads, we seem to start new ones very often.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2013 9:59pm (May 31st 2013)

I still reckon you should have done it without the gloves ;)
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2013 6:43pm (Jun 1st 2013)

He's a BOY, Red; low threshold of pain! :D
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2013 6:25pm (Jun 2nd 2013)

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2013 7:09pm (Jun 2nd 2013)

Posted By: chief chickenHe's a BOY, Red; low threshold of pain! :D

:lol:
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2013 9:55am (Jun 9th 2013)

I can't see Ivy on her throne this morning. Has she been deposed again and sent into rehab?
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2013 1:43pm (Jun 9th 2013)

Has she been deposed again and sent into rehab?

:rofl:
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2013 8:43pm (Jun 9th 2013)

Maybe Neil took Ivy to a "Chicken Whisperer" to have them explain the facts of life to her..without a Rooster, you don't have babies, no matter how long you sit on the eggs.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2013 10:57am (Jun 10th 2013)

I can't see Ivy today, n'or did I see her yesterday. Is she in the nest where we can't see?

Why is Sophie making that awfully long drawn out wail?
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2013 6:15pm (Jun 10th 2013)

Ivy might be in The Priory in rehab...
    Sinead and Lemon do a duet of that wail as a prelude to the full-on Egg Song.
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2013 10:23am (Jun 11th 2013)

Ah. it did remind me of one of the noises some women give just as they are birthing.... I wouldn't like to think I was going through all that every day to part with my egg!
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2013 2:29pm (Jun 11th 2013)

Particularly if you think of the relative sizes of the egg and the hen!
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2013 10:22am (Jun 24th 2013)

Ivy seems to be spending more time with her sisters this last few days.

Elsie's bottom doesn't seem to get any better. Are the feathers growng again yet?

Stripey cat with white underneaths just came to say Goodmorning.
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2013 4:45pm (Jun 24th 2013)

She's getting over being evicted then, we hope!
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2013 10:32pm (Jun 24th 2013)

Just spoke to my dad tonight and he said he thinks Elsie's feathers are growing back, so *fingers crossed*!
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2013 2:50pm (Jul 18th 2013)

She has bum fluff! But I'm not sure if the others are pecking it off - I dread to think why...
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2013 4:12pm (Jul 20th 2013)

Wahooo! Bum fluff is a cause for celebration hahaha!

Is there any sign of blood?
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2013 6:26pm (Jul 20th 2013)

I hope she gets her bum covered by the time the cooler weather sets in, or we'll have buy that kid some clothes.:face-smile: