• CommentTimeJul 4th, 2013 10:51pm (Jul 4th 2013)

My capture card is dead, so that means no more webcam streams on hencam.

They are pretty expensive to replace and the last donation I had was several years ago so I'm afraid that's it for now unless you want to help us.
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2013 9:44am (Jul 5th 2013) edited

:face-crying:
    So we'll need to chat more while we raise the funds!!!
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2013 2:52pm (Jul 5th 2013)

I feel crap for leaving it down and believe me I've spent many hours over the last couple of days trying to fix it, but I really cannot afford this additional expense right now.

They range from £20 for a USB capture device which *might* work, to proper CCTV cards for anything from 1-3 hundred pounds! We originally used a cheap USB device but it kept stalling and crashing, which is why we moved to a proper capture card. Unfortunately after many years of continuous 24/7 use, that has decided to leave this mortal coil.

This is the most downtime we've had in years. :-(
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2013 7:59pm (Jul 7th 2013)

Neil, please check your email.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2013 9:36pm (Jul 7th 2013)

I know the link is on the Hencam home page somewhere, but could you put a link to the link on this thread so that any of us want to send a contribution can find it easily? (I know, I'm being lazy, but it might encourage some additional funds too!)
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2013 11:15am (Jul 8th 2013)

Ditto :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2013 12:38pm (Jul 9th 2013)

A huge thank you to Chief Chicken and LynnW - without their help we would still be offline.

I'll try and post you something suitably amazing (don't get too excited!)
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2013 3:26pm (Jul 9th 2013)

I don't WANT anything, Neil; you give us a lot of friendship, laughter and pleasure through Hencam, that's quite enough! You're our hero!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2013 6:26pm (Jul 9th 2013)

Ditto what CC said, Neil..you have given us endless hour of fun and entertainment..you ARE our hero!!:thumbup:
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2013 8:01pm (Jul 9th 2013)

Well done guys - will have to send a donation for the leccy instead now that the new part is purchased! I finally found the donation button on the friends page - last place I looked! - just in case anyone else wants to know.
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2013 11:15pm (Jul 10th 2013)

Well done girls and thanks to Neil for keeping us up to date and entertained, love and hugs to you all.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2013 9:38am (Jul 11th 2013)

Thank you Kate!

I have used it towards a replacement of one of the old (original) cams - it's another pro cctv camera (similar to the pan/tilt main coop camera but without the fancy moving bits which we won't need in this instance) so should improve the current washed-out 2nd view in the coop.

Big thanks to Lynn, CC and Kate :)
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2013 10:44am (Jul 11th 2013)

Forgot to say, speaking of electricity - when the hencam PC, webcams, CCTV switchers, mics and IR lamps were off, our energy monitor said we were spending £12 a month on electricity (this is with the heating and TV's etc off). It's slightly depressing seeing it go back to what it was now everything is back on again - I'd better not let Helen see it haha!

I would really like to convert to solar but I don't think the technology is quite there yet - I thought maybe some solar panel charging an array of batteries but it's probably not any better environmentally-speaking (unless the batteries last a *long* time to offset the bad stuff in them).