• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2013 11:21am (Jul 17th 2013) edited

The girls free range through the day and are normally locked in the coop at night. On a few occasions we've left them out over night and all seems fine but last night at 5.30am I was woken by all the hens creating so I went out and 4 of the girls were on one side of the garden creating about something and when I looked towards the coop I saw the face of a Fox appear at the door. As I went towards the coop the Fox ran down the ramp and tried to hide under the roosting area that's when I saw one of the girls, obviously dead as she didn't have a head:face-crying:. I tried everything to get the fox out, I didn't want to hurt it, even though it had just killed one of my girls. I threw things at it I gave it a good soaking with the hose pipe, that was more of a 'I'll teach you:_oh_really:' than anything else. I eventually got the Fox to run out and Karen put the other girls to bed. I feel so bad:sad: as I left them vulnerable, through the day we always have a radio blaring and I believe that's a good deterrent. The girls will be put to roost every night:night_moon: from now on. Anyone any tips on deterring Foxes?
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2013 4:49pm (Jul 17th 2013)

Sounds weird, Ian, but if you piddle round the perimeter of the garden, particularly where the fox gets in, it does deter foxes somewhat.Make sure the neighbours aren't watching!
    I'm so sorry about your chook, but at least you got there before any more were hurt...the foxes really are wicked b*ggers. I know they're just doing what they were designed to do, but it's the killing for killing's sake that gets me. I always make sure mine are locked up at dusk, but we have had a fox in the garden early morning once - fortunately I saw it and chased him out.
    How's the shoulder now? You went really quiet, and i hoped you were all right!
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2013 7:59pm (Jul 17th 2013)

I'm so sorry about the loss of your hen but as CC said, it could've been more. Doesn't make it any easier though. I have no tips (other than if you want to try CCs suggestion you could pee in a bottle in the privacy of your loo and use that!) but be careful the fox doesn't come back tonight and break in. Have a good check for vulnerable spots around the coop and leave nothing to chance.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2013 10:13pm (Jul 17th 2013)

Sorry to hear you lost one of your girls :(

Yup, I've heard that a guy piddling around the coop can help to deter foxes too.

Does your coop have 'L' shaped mesh at the bottom of the sides to prevent the foxes from digging under and into the coop? If not that might be worth doing. You can also get motion sensors that can be used to scare off foxes, I think they usually make the sound of a dog barking, but I'm not sure how useful they really are.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2013 9:25am (Jul 18th 2013)

I'm delighted that you weren't vicious to the fox, despite the agony it gave you.
    As CC says, it's how they live.

I spend a lot of time watching my local foxes,they come very close at night, even when they look and see I'm sitting there six feet away.

• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2013 9:55am (Jul 18th 2013) edited

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your sympathetic ears, I never seem to have the time to visit here lately, I’ll have to make the effort. The coop is on a hard standing so the fox would need a jack hammer to get under and as far as I’m aware the wire is fox proof, that’s what it said on the ad for the coop. I'd read about peeing round the garden, the principle behind it sounds fine but then why isn’t it deterred by my cats as they are constantly marking their territory. A motion sensor would be going off all the time due to the cats, I wonder if you can get the pheromones of something like a Lion! i bet that would scare it off

Posted By: ollie in UKI'm delighted that you weren't vicious to the fox

We don’t even like Flea spray as it kills fleas, perhaps i was a Buddhist in a previous life!
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2013 2:46pm (Jul 18th 2013)

I really don't like foxes. Sorry for your loss. :(

Locking your chickens up on a night is the only sure way to protect them, but even then we've seen foxes hunting in broad daylight when chickens would normally be free-ranging.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2013 5:23pm (Jul 18th 2013) edited

Posted By: zz9zzzalpha I wonder if you can get the pheromones of something like a Lion! i bet that would scare it off

You CAN get lion dung. Fact. But as a nascent Buddhist, you might not fancy giving a fox a heart attack!
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2013 6:18pm (Jul 18th 2013)

Foxes and cats ignore each other, so I don't think cat's marking places would bother the fox anyway.
    But lion dung, that's another league!
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2013 5:59pm (Jul 19th 2013)

You can buy Silent Roar lion dung fox repellent on Amazon from this page - and earn Hencam a few pee in the process!
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2013 6:38am (Jul 20th 2013)

I'm so sorry to hear about you loosing one of your girls, Ian. We don't have Foxes around here, just Coyotes, Racoons and Possums. I leave the radio on 24/7 and it seems to keep them away. It keeps the mice away too.