• CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2013 1:28pm (Sep 16th 2013)

Hi y'all

Karen was doing some baking and cracked 2 fresh (no more than 3 day old) eggs into a bowl and they were both bad, black and smelly:thumbdown:

any ideas?, I'm thinking its something she ate (the hen not Karen:rollonfloorlaughing:)
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2013 4:48pm (Sep 16th 2013) edited

Posted By: zz9zzzalphaI'm thinking its something she ate (the hen not Karen)

Silly arse! :D No, I haven't encountered that one before...perhaps you'd better save them up for election time... I bet Red will have some ideas.
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2013 6:19pm (Sep 16th 2013)

I've never had that happen here. I'm not sure what would cause that, do any of your hens seem sick?
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2013 6:37pm (Sep 16th 2013)

Hmm, I'd suggest a vet check up as soon as possible, if you can work out who's laying them!

I'd guess either the egg became contaminated with bacteria, the pores in the shell maybe? Or the hen has an infection...or could one possibly be eggbound?

Do you offer them calcium? Are the shells on the rotten eggs crumbly or weak?
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2013 8:25pm (Sep 16th 2013)

Are you sure they couldn't have been laid a while ago and hidden under some straw or something, then uncovered for you to find when she's been scratching around in there? (Again, the hen not Karen!!) Bit random maybe, but my only contribution!
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2013 11:45am (Sep 18th 2013)

Posted By: LynnWdo any of your hens seem sick?

No they all seem healthy, tails up and eating

Posted By: RedI'd guess either the egg became contaminated with bacteria, the pores in the shell maybe?

That's also a possibility as Karen has been finding some eggs under the bamboo, so if they've been sat in dirty water perhaps that could have done it

Posted By: KatebAre you sure they couldn't have been laid a while ago and hidden under some straw or something, then uncovered for you to find when she's been scratching

It now seems only 1 egg was rotten so that could be a reason.

the other thing Karen now tells me is that some of the yokes were very pale, almost white
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2013 7:00pm (Sep 18th 2013)

I don't know what gives a yolk it's colour - I thought pale yolks meant they were free range and the darker colour came from additives that big producers fed the hens? Educate me please someone!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2013 7:26pm (Sep 18th 2013)

Kate, my eggs all have darker yolks than the pale yellow ones you buy in a store (some of the eggs are 6 to 8 weeks old by the time they put them out for people to buy) Fresh eggs always have yolks that stand up higher than older store bought ones. I never keep an egg that I don't find in the nest box, because I have no idea how long it may have been sitting there.
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2013 9:16pm (Sep 18th 2013)

Usually free-range / happy hens lay eggs with darker yolks, and shop-bought or battery hens have much lighter yolks.

Are the white yolks a normal consistency? Just wondering if they were in fact an egg within an egg, as that can happen occasionally.
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeSep 19th, 2013 1:27pm (Sep 19th 2013)

Posted By: KatebEducate me please someone!!!

Click here to go to info about Yolk colour.
    • CommentTimeSep 19th, 2013 8:00pm (Sep 19th 2013)

Thanks everyone - I got it the wrong way round, but it seems the poultry trade do use additives to make up for poor diet sometimes. I'm wise for the future!