• CommentTimeNov 19th, 2013 12:51pm (Nov 19th 2013)

Hopefully you'll have noticed the amazing changes with the webcam (and if you haven't, shame on you!) - basically the system has been upgraded to offer near HD quality!

We're now streaming higher quality audio, and massively improved video quality - the size has been doubled and the bit-rate (which governs how 'clear' it all looks) has been quadrupled.

This has all been made possible with the new hardware I've been building up (thanks Lynn and Kate for the help with that!), and my broadband connection now supports higher throughput, and of course Camstreams for offering the streaming service (and Exa Networks who host it all).
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2013 4:21pm (Nov 19th 2013)

I can't get the cam on my tablet and my laptop is bust, so I can't see these amazing improvements...booo!
    • CommentTimeNov 19th, 2013 7:36pm (Nov 19th 2013)

Me neither-Apple products just won't play ball! Will have to bring my work laptop home for some vital out of hours work!!!
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 10:31am (Nov 20th 2013) edited

I'm just having to sort some new stuff too.
    My lovely little laptop is slowly giving up the will to live.
    I had been thnking about an iPad. Then daughter tells me she has just obtained one, specifically for a working trip she goes on today to Addis Ababa (to care for some lions!) She says I can have a play with it when she gets back
    - that is - a play with the iPad, not a lion.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 10:36am (Nov 20th 2013)

The Hencam setup is getting to such a high quality now. Remember what it was like in the "Olden Days".
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 6:48pm (Nov 20th 2013)

I remember it when it was a screenshot, very blurry and taken from the upstairs window (the girls used to free-range back then), and the picture only updated once every 30 seconds! I was about 13 at the time I think...
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 7:04pm (Nov 20th 2013)

I'd rather play with the lion Ollie! What a great job-she's very lucky!
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 7:54pm (Nov 20th 2013)

On my desktop PC, hencam looks Fabulous!! The picture is so large and clear on my end..only wish it was Spring so I could see what things look like again in the daylight.
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2013 4:08pm (Nov 21st 2013)

It's much nicer isn't it Lynn!

I impressed myself the other day - I got hencam working on my android phone - you had to use 'VLC Player Beta' and open the stream manually (click open stream then type http://www.camstreams.com/asx.asp?user=hencam for the direct link) and voila!

I tried to impress Scarlet with it and it refused to play in a Toby Carvery... Possibly something to do with them blocking ports, but anyway, if you have an android phone / tablet, install VLC Player and you should be able to watch the hencam!

iPad I'm not sure you could open a Windows Media Stream - Apple aren't very fond of open standards and even less fond of anything Microsoft! I'd get a chrome book over an iPad any day...
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2013 11:06pm (Nov 21st 2013)

Too late to tell me that now Neil! LOL!!