• CommentTimeMar 19th, 2014 10:51pm (Mar 19th 2014) edited

Not got any new pics to share, but thought I would note when he fed, what he ate, when he shed etc here...also be interesting to chart how much he has grown by, although I need to measure him first! :smile:

17.3.14 - ate two pinkies

photo rodent12_zpsbce8f65d.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2014 11:08pm (Mar 19th 2014)

Okay, so I had to go get some new pics of him :001_rolleyes:

This is him in his new RUB too...I think he likes it :smile:

photo travis_zpse1def764.jpg

You can see his awesome stripe here

photo travis1_zps5eec7c7f.jpg

Shy boy :P

photo travis2_zpsf5c376ce.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2014 5:36pm (Mar 20th 2014)

He's a handsome lad, Red; nice RUB too!
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2014 8:47pm (Mar 20th 2014)

• CommentTimeMar 20th, 2014 10:07pm (Mar 20th 2014)

Thank you CC! He has so many places to hide in the RUB, I really want to buy a plastic aquarium plant to stick on the side for higher cover but we've not been able to find one at a decent price yet.

Posted By: KatebHow do you judge if he likes it?! Mind you, I'm sure I can see a smile on his face ...!

Haha he's got such a goofy little face! :tooth: He's very active in there so I assume he likes it, he's not just hiding away all the time.

I think we're moving him up to fuzzies for his next feed, he's totally big enough. The rule of thumb with snakes is that you feed them something no thicker than 1.5 times the widest part of their body, if that makes sense. They dislocate their jaws to feed, so can eat food items far bigger than their head! :smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2014 10:41am (Mar 24th 2014)

Aaarrrgghhhh a snakey snake oh my god quick run..............just kiddin'. Glad to meet you Travis, nice colour.
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2014 12:06pm (Mar 24th 2014)

Thanks TM :) It's feeding night tonight, he's on his last two pinkies.
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2014 5:09pm (Apr 23rd 2014)

Ooops, really need to start updating this thread!!

Travis is now being fed 1 x per week and is on a Fuzzie / Fluff sized mouse. He is doing great and is a very happy feeder :smile:

We were supposed to feed him a few nights ago, but waited a couple days extra as when he was due to be fed we started to vacuum the bedroom and it really freaked him out! So we gave him a few days with no handling to settle.

He gets handled one - two times a week and is a very friendly little fellow :tooth:

I have pics but they are on Lyle's phone, will try get them off at some point!!
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2014 10:02pm (Apr 26th 2014) edited

These are really bad quality, but oh well...

The first is our stripey boy posing for the camera! And the second is how he likes to climb around his RUB...he rests himself on the lip right underneath the lid, it must be a real balancing act! :smile:
      weather7.jpg
      weather8.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2014 9:56pm (May 16th 2014) edited

Forgot to post; on the 9th May our little lad shed for the very first time since we have had him! Well done Travis! It was a perfect shed too, all in one piece and eye caps included...what a star!

He's brighter than ever now and has that rubbery newly-shed feel!
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2014 5:19pm (May 17th 2014)

Do you save the sheds?
    Pressed in a book like a favourite flower.....
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2014 6:08pm (May 18th 2014)

We do actually Ollie :) We have all of James', from when he was a tiny shoe lace to over six feet long!
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2014 4:08pm (May 19th 2014)

Does he get out for a slide (?) round the bath or anything, Red?
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2014 4:01pm (May 20th 2014)

The sheds remind me of a dried baby's caul. (The membrane bag baby lives in until it's birth).
    We found one when going through Granny's effects. I remembered her saying her first baby was born still inside the bag, so this was it.
    I would have loved to posses it but it was posted off to it's previous owner.
    My own first baby was born in her caul but the midwife wouldn't let me have.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2014 4:44pm (May 20th 2014)

Posted By: chief chickenDoes he get out for a slide (?) round the bath or anything, Red?

Yes, he comes out a few times a week for a handle and some exercise!

We're thinking of moving Travis up into his bigger RUB soon. He hasn't grown much but I think if we pack it out with things he'll be okay. See corn snakes prefer to be in smaller enclosures even when they're quite large, but I can't help but feel he must get bored when he can cover all the ground in his RUB in a matter of seconds! So after his next feed we might upgrade him and monitor his behaviour to make sure he still feels safe.

Ollie, I'd never heard of a caul before...or rather I'd heard the word but didn't know what it was :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2014 8:06pm (May 20th 2014)

Isn't there something about babies that are born still in the membrane (I'd never heard it called a caul before) being mermaids, or angels or something like that?
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2014 11:58am (May 21st 2014)

The babies born in the caul are supposed to be protected from drowning. Hence sailors would pay a hefty price for one.
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2014 4:37pm (May 21st 2014)

And hugely lucky too, isn't it? Has she been a fortunate child, Ollie?
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2014 10:03pm (May 21st 2014)

And does she like swimming?!
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2014 11:02pm (May 21st 2014)

Unfortunately, even though she loved swimming, (memories of her coming back to our cottage rental in Whitby, fully clothed and drenched, she had been sea swimming...) She proved she would not drown by dieing in a road accident instead at 16yrs.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2014 3:59pm (May 22nd 2014) edited

How horrid; I'm so sorry, Ollie.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2014 8:13pm (May 22nd 2014)

Ollie I'm so sorry, I had no idea. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of her.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2014 6:48pm (May 24th 2014)

Oh Ollie I'm sorry to hear that.
    • CommentTimeJun 26th, 2014 1:41pm (Jun 26th 2014)

Travis update: about a week ago we fed Travis a slightly larger mouse than usual, and after that we didn't see him for about 6 days. We were getting very worried (it usually takes a snake 48 hours to digest a meal, but with Travis he usually reappears after 24 hours) but eventually he popped up again, perfectly fine, and shed! So he was probably hiding away for that :smile:
    So most recent shed was 25th June :)