• CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2014 5:04pm (Apr 23rd 2014) edited

So up until this point I have never needed to cut Kasper's nails, he has always kept them worn down himself.

Now, however, they are getting long.

The one time I tried to trim a nail (one of the ones on the side of the paw) I cut the quick...terrifying experience meaning I never ever want to cut his nails again!! :scared:

Thankfully we've done a lot of work with him on having his paws handled, so he's fine with that. I'll then have to counter condition him to the clippers / filer being close to him, touching him, being held there for several seconds, putting pressure on his nail etc etc and then finally moving on to trimming his nails...but I am SO scared!! At least half his nails are black too, making seeing the quick impossible... :fierce:

Does anybody have any advice?! Any preference over clippers or a pet nail filer?

Anybody have experience clipping a dogs' nails? Do cats' nails need cutting or do they do that themselves through scratching?
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2014 5:50pm (Apr 23rd 2014)

My friend has just had to book her German pointer in for a light anaesthetic for having his nails clipped; he was so anxious that they worried he might have a seizure...
    I used to do the tips of Trouble's claws with a pair of human nail clippers when she got so old she didn't really want to go out and do them herself. I was always a bit cautious though in case of cutting down to the quick.
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2014 8:57pm (Apr 23rd 2014)

I use regular dog nail clippers for my dogs..they open up wider, so it makes it easier to cut the nails. Don always holds the dogs while I do the trimming..makes it much better and faster that way.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2014 10:45pm (Apr 23rd 2014) edited

Emmett has to have her claws trimmed now because she doesn't go out or claw anything. She hates it, hence her biting through my fingertip last time and me needing antibiotics! All I'd say is be conservative if you can't see the quick - less is more and all that!
    Edit: has them clipped by the vet- not me!
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2014 12:33pm (Apr 24th 2014) edited

Thanks everyone :)

I'd feel much more comfortable with a vet cutting Kasper's nails, but it'd be far too traumatic for him, and there's no point putting him through that (and possibly making his association with the vets even worse) when it's something I could easily do at home...

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do it...
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2014 6:17pm (Apr 24th 2014)

Unless you saved up for a home visit?
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2014 9:11pm (Apr 24th 2014)

What about a groomer rather than a vet?
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2014 7:02am (Apr 25th 2014)

If you are not sure you want to do it Red, see if you can find a groomer to do it, they do that kind of thing everyday and can show you the best way to do it. I've cut too much off my dogs once in a while and made them bleed..I hate having to clip their nails.
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2014 9:52pm (Apr 25th 2014) edited

Unfortunately because of Kasper's fear of strangers it wouldn't be possible to have someone else clip them...even if we persuaded the groomer to come on a walk with us (which is how we get Kasper to befriend strangers) he probably still wouldn't be comfortable having his feet handled by a relative stranger afterwards...I'm loathe to do anything that might set him backwards in his dealing with strangers after his made such great strides...

As a thought on groomers though, I wonder if I could ask to go into a groomers and watch how they cut other dogs' nails, or even just email one and ask for any tips? That might be worth thinking about, although I doubt they'd be happy as they wouldn't be getting any money :smile:

Posted By: LynnWI hate having to clip their nails.

I hate it and I've only done it once!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2014 7:26am (Apr 27th 2014)

Is there anything on U-tube that could help?
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2014 12:11pm (Apr 27th 2014)

Yes, I like this video:

The start is what we have always done with Kasper, after about a minute it gets into other ways of keeping nails short...only problem is the chasing treats on the concrete one, there isn't anywhere we could easily do that. Kasper would have to be on a longline, which would probably be do-able, but even then we'd have to keep an eye out for cars.

And with the sandpaper scratching, I have no idea how to teach Kasper that with his back paws haha!
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2014 8:29pm (Apr 27th 2014)

Spoke to my friend tonight; the vet gave her some happy pills to give Winston the night before then she took him in for heavier sedation then they did the deed then another injection to bring him round. And today he's right as ninepence with lovely short claws.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2014 3:43pm (Apr 28th 2014) edited

I wish they'd give me a happy pill to help me calm down when cutting his nails!!! :rolling:

I'm officially researching which are the best clippers; we need some new ones as the only ones we have are the ones he came with and I've read they need replacing every year (?) so I'm going to be attempting to cut his nails soon! (well, after some counter-conditioning once they've arrived...) Watch this space!!