• CommentTimeApr 24th, 2014 6:05pm (Apr 24th 2014) edited

Today we went to a nearby petting farm. It was a really cute little farm, although the £5 entry fee was quite expensive as it was fairly small. It took us just over 30 mins to walk there, and as the weather was nice it was a gorgeous walk :smile:

photo puppies6_zpsaff3f64f.jpg

A pair of emus wandered about the place...they were actually pretty scary, they were huge! And of course when they saw the bag of feed in your hand they stalked you like a pair of velociraptors! At one point they had me backed into a corner whilst Lyle laughed hysterically-but they were pretty sweet and very gentle when eating from your hands.

photo puppies9_zps12d0c7bb.jpg

photo puppies13_zpsff62f12b.jpg

Some of the animals' enclosures were pretty small and cramped. I think a lot of them got alternated, and taken out to the pasture, at different times in the day. We saw donkeys and goats being moved from small pens to the outdoor fields.

photo puppies7_zpscfb3173c.jpg

photo puppies8_zps970c83f9.jpg

But there were a pair of Frizzles who were kept in a very small run, which didn't even have a secluded nest box area.

They also had two peacocks and some turkeys. They were all in a small room, and at one point when the peacock opened his tail feathers nobody had any where to move as it took up all the room in their pen!

photo puppies10_zpsb0f4b4b2.jpg

I loved the male turkey!!

photo puppies12_zps6dbd5876.jpg

photo puppies14_zps9fba3865.jpg

Very impressed with how this next pic turned out...

photo puppies15_zps5d91172e.jpg

And one of the lambs

photo puppies22_zps22f6d05f.jpg

These two were really cute; the white one reminded me of Lottie :smile:

photo puppies23_zpsb9838ab3.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2014 6:09pm (Apr 24th 2014)

And now the best bit...THEY HAD BORDER COLLIE PUPPIES!!!! :bigsmile:

They were around 9 - 10 weeks old and were sooo adorable!

photo puppies16_zps9f687ced.jpg

They were in a pen so you could reach over and stroke them, they will be some well socialised puppies! They were surprisingly calm for their age and had great bite inhibition - not like Zoey!!

photo puppies18_zpsd1af68e4.jpg

And we even got a cuddle! :heartsabove:

photo puppies19_zps6b4396d8.jpg

D'awww!

photo puppies20_zpsf1ca9108.jpg

So, so sweet!

photo puppies21_zpsfae5f926.jpg

And a video of the puppers :smile:

• CommentTimeApr 24th, 2014 6:15pm (Apr 24th 2014)

Beautiful animals - and lovely pics as usual, Red; I love the peacock one! Post me a puppy next time you go...
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2014 9:06pm (Apr 24th 2014)

I don't mind paying to visit places like that because the money is usually going to the animal upkeep. I wonder if they allow the birds to free-roam when people aren't around? It seems odd to keep a peacock in a pen. The picture is fab, I remember seeing peacocks at Warwick Castle and they were amazing. Love the puppies too - remind me of my dog when we got her all those years ago.
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2014 6:54am (Apr 25th 2014)

Loved the pictures, Red..the puppies look a lot like my goofy Frodo..he's a lot longer than they are, but colored like them. The Peacock was BEAUTIFUL!!
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2014 9:46pm (Apr 25th 2014)

Thanks all...if I'd had a jacket, I think I'd have come away with a puppy stuffed down there!! :bigsmile:

Lynn how is Frodo doing these days? I bet he's grown some! :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2014 10:54pm (May 1st 2014)

Red, Frodo is so big that I can't pick him up anymore. I'll have to take some pictures of him. The 19th of this month he goes in for his "operation", he'll be 6 months old then.
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2014 7:24pm (May 2nd 2014)

O yes please, Lynn; I'd love to see how he's doing! Is the house training going all right?
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2014 8:25pm (May 3rd 2014)

Frodo's biggest problem with house training is when he comes inside, he pees when he gets excited(which for Frodo it is like ALL THE TIME.) I think he lives in a total state of excitement...it's been difficult, but we're getting there. I'll see if I can get him to hold still long enough for me to get a picture of him.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2014 8:34pm (May 3rd 2014)

I have a customer with a dog like that and she asks all visitors to ignore the dog until he settles down a bit. He doesn't seem to wee then.
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2014 12:58pm (May 9th 2014)

Haha I know quite a few dogs who have had that problem...most tend to grow out of it as they get older, but yes, ignoring them can also help until they have calmed down some.

I think there's also something called a 'belly band' which is supposed to help...
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2014 6:56pm (May 9th 2014)

Really? Sounds...odd. Wonder how it works?
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2014 9:33pm (May 9th 2014)

I know about the belly bands (they are kind of a diaper thing) I'm waiting to see what he will act like after he has his "operation" on the 19th. I'm sure it won't help much, but ANYTHING would be an improvement to how he acts now.
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2014 4:10am (May 14th 2014)

Once again great pics Red, love the assortment of animals and that dear little lambykin!
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2014 6:10pm (May 14th 2014)

Thanks TM, we hope to be going back sometime soon, possibly dragging my parents along :tooth: