Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 6:04pm (Jan 8th 2008)

Just been to the website to add my name to the campaign; it's a very well-informed site (if a bit slow) and anyone who isn't a chicken-hating knuckle-dragger ought to go and have a look!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 6:07pm (Jan 8th 2008)

Thanks for this post CC. What's the link to the site? Is it international or Brits only?
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 8:04pm (Jan 8th 2008)

www.chickenout.tv

There has been absolutely *loads* of media coverage not only on the tv programmes (hugh's and jamie olivers), but also pieces on the co-op banning the sale of battery eggs in their stores, new laws governing that future battery cages should be slightly larger and have dust bathing and perches etc...

It really feels like there is a positive momentum to it, but it's still not happening fast enough for all the chickens suffering right now.
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 8:14pm (Jan 8th 2008)

I've just seen a trailer for Friday's TV programme and I won't be able to watch it.

I was pleasantly surprised by my friend today. She's a single mom, struggles to make ends meet, and said she doesn't eat many eggs but will always make sure she buys free range now as it really distressed her seeing the conditions the chickens were kept in. I was surprised because she hates birds (especially pigeons - skyrats she calls them!) and has to shop 'cheaply' so I thought she wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested. If she can change her thinking there's hope for the hens yet.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 8:19pm (Jan 8th 2008)

Do you know *pigeons* are actually technically doves. Maybe if she re-named 'em.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out and forward it on to my animal loving friends.
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 8:34pm (Jan 8th 2008)

Really!! I didn't know that! There are some poor specimens in our town - mangled feet, skinny necks, etc. No one ever sees a baby pigeon - except me!! I got a photo of one that had fallen out of the nest a little bit too early. It survived and I'm sure used to come back and visit (I kept the cats in for a few days til it managed to fly).
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 8:38pm (Jan 8th 2008)

My friend Wendy rescues injured pigeons. I chased one round the monument at the top of Marlow High Street 3 times and finally caught it by throwing my expensive Indigo Moon wrap over it...didn't half move quick for someone with a broken wing! Now it lives with Wendy in Hambleden and has a wife and chick!
    • CommentTimeJan 8th, 2008 8:57pm (Jan 8th 2008)

That's sweet! So Wendy will have lots of photos of baby pigeons then, and I thought mine was unique!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 3:27am (Jan 9th 2008)

Ok CC, given the image I have of you with that wild hair (on your head) - the image I now have of your journey around the monument is rather... spectacular.

Hey, I up graded my browser (Firefox) and it now underlines (with subtle red dots) any misspellings - kind of like having a tutor sitting right beside me.

Yours are ALWAYS unique Ms. Kate.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 6:26am (Jan 9th 2008)

Diane, I 'm waiting for the next upgrade to Foxfire..maybe they will give us a Spell checker with the *proper* spelling.:) I really could use one, since I'm dyslexic and have a heck of a time getting things backwards and not seeing my mistakes.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 5:00pm (Jan 9th 2008)

I just upgraded to Firefox 2.0.0.11 Is that the one you already have? What I would do sometimes, during a post is copy a word to a Word Doc and then check the spelling there. I'm amazed you are dyslexic though. Your writing is always really well done.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 5:46pm (Jan 9th 2008)

I hate poxy spellcheck things; they always underline names they don't understand (Bosendorfer, Rachmaninov,Bluthner, etc., etc.). And the spelling they suggest is wrong anyway - c-o-l-o-r??? Whassat abaht then? :)
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 5:52pm (Jan 9th 2008)

Yep, that's the one I upgraded to a few weeks ago. Some of their upgrades caused me no end of problems, but this one fixed several bugs. Learning to read and write was VERY difficult. There wasn't much known about Dyslexia in the early 1950's. If not for one very special teacher, I had when I was 11, I don't know where I'd be today. I was years behind everyone else, till I was 13yrs. old.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 6:03pm (Jan 9th 2008)

I tune for a dyslexic dyslexia teacher; she gets terrific results because she really understands the problems. I noticed that she was in Mensa, and she said she joined to prove to her parents that she wasn't stupid!
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 6:20pm (Jan 9th 2008)

Albert Einstein was dyslexic. It doesn't mean you're the village Idiot, you just don't see words like other people do, my folks thought I was stupid too. You have a heck of a time learning to trust that you've written a word right, cause it always looks wrong. I admire your friend for her ability to teach how to overcome Dyslexia, CC.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 6:27pm (Jan 9th 2008)

A teacher that understands her pupils problems - what a rarety (if there's such a word and if its spelt like that!) I was always fortunate to be a very good reader and a pretty good speller - my problem is knowing WHAT to write! I sometimes sit and ponder what to put in a post for ages, then delete what I've typed and make it a one-liner instead.

My youngest is dyslexic but his teachers didn't believe him ("he's just lazy"). He had to do a basic english, maths, IT course (to fit windscreens!) and his tutor spotted it. When he was school age there were constant outbursts of "its not my fault, I'm dyslexic" but once it was confirmed by a tutor he really calmed down as if having someone else agree with him made him feel better. I have guilt for not spotting it and believing his teachers, but I put that down to the ease I had with such things making it difficult to understand. I'm a wiser person now!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 9:44pm (Jan 9th 2008)

I love this discussion - thanks for bringing it up Lynn. Just like the surprise of hearing Lynn has dyslexicia as a challenge (and WHY, by the way, would this particular word be among the most difficult to spell do you think?) I'm astonished to learn that you edit yourself so much Kate. I love the things you have to say. Sad to think there might have been more. At the same time I have to admit its a rare post that I just enter without returning to edit... Well, less now that I have those nice red underlinings telling me about my spelling embarrassments in advance :P Its a subtle little line of delicate red dots - I think you might actually like it CC :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 9:50pm (Jan 9th 2008)

Ok - back from signing on to the Chicken Out Campaign. For me, it wasn't even a white lie to put my town in. They don't ask what town in the UK - so I just typed in Langley & it worked. Happiness.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 9:57pm (Jan 9th 2008) edited

British chickens salute you, Lynn & Diane! (And also this Rubber Chicken ;))
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 9:59pm (Jan 9th 2008)

Wow, I've never been saluted by a rubber chicken. That I know of anyway. First time for everything.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2008 11:33pm (Jan 9th 2008)

Whenever you mention a rubber chicken CC it makes me think of that really old song that Dave Lee Travis (a british DJ) did as a parody of "Convoy" (don't remember who did that though!) In the original one of the call signs was Rubber Duck, and DLT made it plastic chicken (in a brummie accent!) Amuses me but probably lost on everyone else that wasn't mentally damaged by the song! :D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2008 1:51am (Jan 10th 2008)

Wait - I vaguely remember that song. 1980s maybe? I never heard the parody I'm sure.
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2008 4:17pm (Jan 10th 2008)

The parody was done by BBC Radio 1 DJs, it was called Convoy GB, but the only line I remember is 'Newport Pagnell, Toddington and even Watford Gap'. Strange what lurks in the crevices of the brain. I might even have the 45 in the Doom Room somewhere!
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2008 6:07pm (Jan 10th 2008)

I'm sure it didn't get to the States - and if it did they'd never had 'got' the humour as it was british motorway-based!
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2008 7:32pm (Jan 10th 2008) edited

Nice job (re: Chicken Out) in your blog Neil. You old radical! :)

By the way - did you change your avatar? It looks like Penny & Tilly now.
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2008 8:37pm (Jan 10th 2008)

Old radical...!

Yes the new one is much smaller file-size-wise.

I hope I can make lots and then they will be free to anybody who wants 'em.
    • CommentTimeJan 10th, 2008 8:37pm (Jan 10th 2008)

Full-page ad by Sainsbury's in the paper today saying how super they are re animal welfare. No explanation as to why they didn't attend the supermarket summit that HughF-W and Jamie O held though.
    Strange, that.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 5:49am (Jan 11th 2008)

Sorry Neil - that might a "USA-ism" Doesn't necessarily imply anything about your chronological age. (And I believe you are about 20 years younger than yours truly.) What I meant was more like: confirmed radical... :( Forgiven?
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 7:41am (Jan 11th 2008)

No need to apologise Diane I thought it was funny! Don't be :( be :)!

Also funny (in a bad way) about sainsbury's (and probably others to come) clamouring to announce how ethical they are - all wanting to piggy back on this new wave of consumer interest and increase profits no doubt.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 5:18pm (Jan 11th 2008)

Whew. I actually was worried Neil. Its hard to be sure without seeing people's faces, and because we speak different Englishes, :), just how some things have gone over. And I would feel very sad if I ever offended any of my Hencam friends.

Ok, onward... :P

Happily.
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 7:18pm (Jan 11th 2008)

Despite the Sainsbury's ad it was still rows and rows of cheap chicken being sold in there today. I bought some free range (double the price) and had the choice of 4 trays.

I noticed a tiny piece in the paper yesterday saying that battery cages would not be allowed in Europe from 2012, despite Italy and 2 other countries trying to get it overturned.
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 9:13pm (Jan 11th 2008)

Here I am again, getting all upsey over the 'Chicken- out' progs.

Those baby chicks put into that de-oxygenated chamber were gasping for breath and suffocated in front of our eyes !!
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 9:24pm (Jan 11th 2008)

How terrible Oli. Why were they killing baby chicks?
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 10:24pm (Jan 11th 2008)

Just hatched and are wrong sex.......
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 10:27pm (Jan 11th 2008)

>just hatched and are wrong sex< That's horrible!
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 10:31pm (Jan 11th 2008)

Maybe I should explain there are programmes on UK television all this week by two different chefs all about the way very low cost chickens are raised and slaughtered. Neil has some of it available for you to watch. Neil will tell you where....
    • CommentTimeJan 11th, 2008 11:45pm (Jan 11th 2008)

That's how I got Onion; he was surplus to requirements as another rooster and then began to fight with his dad; if I hadn't taken him, he''d've been destroyed. Horrible.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 4:39am (Jan 12th 2008)

Ollie it sounds like showing it for what it is has people changing dramatically. Lets hope so. Poor sweet chicks.

Onion is one lucky boy.
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 3:07pm (Jan 12th 2008)

Sainsburys say they haven't experienced any difference in chicken-buying habits, and Tesco's say they're selling more cheap chickens.
    Now why don't I believe them?
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 3:31pm (Jan 12th 2008)

Folk are probably buying up the cheap stuff before it goes up in price or disappears - there will always be people who put money before anything. I think people will stop buying chicken at all for a few weeks, then gradually start to change their buying habits.
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 3:33pm (Jan 12th 2008)

Well, I don't think they're telling the truth; if nothing's changed, why comment?
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 3:36pm (Jan 12th 2008)

True. There's a disgraceful letter in the paper today from the chicken 'growers' official people saying they're not bad and its all humane slaughtering etc. No comment on living conditions etc.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 4:56pm (Jan 12th 2008)

That's the value of video - people can believe their eyes.
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 6:19pm (Jan 12th 2008) edited

Anyone read the Daily Mail today? Deborah Ross seems to find the whole issue of chicken welfare highly amusing. She's had a snottagram from me...
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 8:09pm (Jan 12th 2008)

I bet you gave her what for!!
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 9:41pm (Jan 12th 2008)

I just said that I was glad that she found the abuse of animals so amusing. At no time did I call her a chicken-hating knuckle dragger...;)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 12th, 2008 11:11pm (Jan 12th 2008)

You Go Girl!! Very well said.
    • CommentTimeJan 13th, 2008 7:01am (Jan 13th 2008)

Send her a t-shirt when they're done!
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2008 10:59pm (Jan 16th 2008)

CC..excellent..but You SHOULD have called her a chicken-hating knuckle dragger too. :thumbup:
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2008 11:48pm (Jan 16th 2008)

I saw a woman today sorting through the battery egg pile, and announced loudly to my friend that "Sainsbury's have woodland eggs where the birds can roam free, much better than those battery eggs" - but she took no notice!! I think she was a chicken-hating knuckle dragger - that's why she was kneeling on the floor.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2008 1:34am (Jan 17th 2008)

Good for you for standing up for those poor hens Kate!
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2008 4:52pm (Jan 17th 2008)

Ah, but I've had voice, training, see...you have to PRRRRRRRROJECT, dahling! And I read a lot of Paddington as a brat so cultivated a hard stare like Aunt Lucy's.:rasta:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2008 6:00pm (Jan 17th 2008)

Paddington. I love that bear.
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2008 7:18pm (Jan 17th 2008)

It's one of my tests; I ask which bear a person prefers out of Winnie the Runnypooh, Rupert and Paddington. If it's Paddington, I know we'll get along. If it's Winnie, 50/50, but if it's Rupert...!:fierce:
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2008 8:58pm (Jan 17th 2008)

Yes, I'd pick Paddington out of those 3 too!!
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2008 9:15pm (Jan 17th 2008)

Consider yourself a Rubber Chicken, mate!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2008 5:45am (Jan 18th 2008)

People thought I named my kitty after Winnie the Pooh, but it was actually Winnie Mandela. Who is Rupert?
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2008 8:20am (Jan 18th 2008)

I've never heard of Rupert either, CC..I do love Paddington..I'm a Teddy Bear collector and I have a couple of cute little Paddington Bears.
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2008 10:39am (Jan 18th 2008)

Rupert was a white bear that wore tartan trousers. He had a cartoon series, but I think I'm right in saying they were still drawings with someone reading the voices etc.
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2008 4:01pm (Jan 18th 2008) edited

Rupert has dubious dress sense (yellow tartan trews & scarf teamed with red jumper - yech!), talks in rhyme and is nauseatingly well-behaved, sanctimonious and twee.
    He first appeared in the Daily Express and I could never stand him and still can't. What does that say about me, Diane?! :)
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2008 8:24pm (Jan 18th 2008)

I forgot about the rhymes and that he was a newspaper comic strip - I think I surpressed the memory because I disliked him. Someone bought me a Rupert annual one Christmas. I wish I still had it - it'd never been read or even the pages turned so would be worth a fortune!!! (Well, a little bit!)
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2008 8:33pm (Jan 18th 2008)

I'm glad it's not just me, then!
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2008 9:38pm (Jan 18th 2008)

He was the sort of bear that would've been bullied at school.
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 1:41am (Jan 19th 2008)

I found a site that had Rupert on it..he's an ugly little spud. He looked like a golfer in those pants and red shirt...not my kinda bear either.:fierce:
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 1:54am (Jan 19th 2008) edited

He sounds like Barney. Ugggh.

CC. I think it says that you are still superior. :rasta:
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 9:34am (Jan 19th 2008) edited

My four year old brother in law was devoted to his Rupert cuddly toy.They had to come back off holiday on day two as Rupert had been left behind and B in L was so distraught.
    I never let our children get so attached to a toy!
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 2:55pm (Jan 19th 2008)

He's the sort of bear *I* would have bullied at school...:devil:
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 5:39pm (Jan 19th 2008)

You have a four year old B in L Oli?!! :shocked: Talk about marrying young!!! :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 5:51pm (Jan 19th 2008)

No, I meant when B in L was a four year old!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 11:04pm (Jan 19th 2008)

Oh - that makes sense. I thought your hubby's folks just had a kiddie four years ago. :tongue:
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 11:07pm (Jan 19th 2008)

I understood - just thought it sounded funny!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2008 11:23pm (Jan 19th 2008)

I hadn't!
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2008 2:21pm (Jan 20th 2008)

I think I need a sherry....:confused:
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2008 7:01pm (Jan 20th 2008) edited

How are you getting on with that sherry CC? Ready for another?
    I have forsaken my old ladies' Bristol cream for a Palomino Fino.
    Large glass please.
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2008 8:31pm (Jan 20th 2008)

Half a pint of armadillo in this corner!:rasta:
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2008 10:20am (Jan 21st 2008) edited

I'm getting well marinated, ready for the oven.
    (read crematorium)
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2008 6:57pm (Jan 21st 2008)

Now now, don't be depressing! Have another...don't mind if I do...