• CommentAuthorLarcie
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2014 9:37pm (Jul 24th 2014) edited

Hey all, new here so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have 8 hens, all aged under 4 years old. Suddenly one got ill and passed away.

She stopped eating and drinking, wouldn't move. I couldn't even tempt her with yogurt or melon which are her favourites.
    No runny nose or mouth
    No odd poo
    No change in comb/ waddle colour
    Her crop was fine
    No panting or gaping or head tilt
    It seemed like she literally gave up for no reason.

I quarantined and treated her (and the flock) for worms and mite, treated the coop for mites and put DT earth in the dust bath.
    I treated her for egg bind and eventually resorted to syringe feeding her water with electrolytes and a bit of yogurt.
    On the 3rd day she died.

Other than a small red mite issue which we're getting under control nothing else has changed. Same food same fresh home grown treats. Plenty of water.
    I have no idea what happened, and ideas?

The other girls are fine, panting a bit but it's super hot here lately and one or two of the girls combs have gone a bit pale ( the hit weather maybe?)they're eating and drinking and maintaining a good weight but I'm still a worried chicken mummy :(
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2014 5:18am (Jul 25th 2014)

Welcome to the group, Larcie. Over the years I've had hens that have done the same thing..sometimes they do just die like that...especially in the hot weather.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2014 7:38pm (Jul 26th 2014)

Hello Larcie, :welcome: to the forum.

I've moved your post to the 'Animal Care' section of the forum, just as that's a bit easier to find on the main page so you might get more responses ;)

I'm so sorry to hear one of your girls has passed away :(

It sounds like you did everything right and have done the right thing treating your chickens for worms and mites though. I really don't know what else to suggest, other than keeping a close eye on them. You could try adding Apple Cider Vinegar to their water (I think it's about 1 tablespoon per gallon) that's known as being a good pick-me-up for chickens.

This thread is possibly worth having a read through too:

As for the pale combs, that's quite a common thing to happen in hot weather. Do your girls have access to shade? We used to add ice cubes to the chickens' water as well, which they seemed to appreciate.

I hope the rest of your flock are okay :bighug:
    • CommentAuthorchooksnpinkroses
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2014 1:14am (Aug 16th 2014) edited

It sounds like it could have been the heat, What was the temperature when said chook was sick and died?
    In summer I always hose the ground under all our chooks' favourite bushes, so that they have cool, damp soil to dust bath in. I also make big ice blocks in 500 ml containers and put them in their water in the hottest part of the day, if It's really hot, I do it twice.
    If it gets really hot, any chook that is obviously 'flat' with heat stress could have a bath. I fill up a 42 litre 'tub trug' with water and dunk the chook in it and hold her there with her head above the water. Sometimes they appreciate it so much they just float there for a while without trying to get out. Then when you get her out she has her own 'evaporative cooler'. Hope this helps for future times.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2014 2:39pm (Aug 16th 2014)

I love the idea of the bath tub for them!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2014 11:00pm (Aug 16th 2014)

They sound like great ideas to a non-hen owning reader like me! Is it worth putting them in one of the other threads too to make sure anyone else looking for tips can find them?