• CommentTimeAug 6th, 2014 6:52pm (Aug 6th 2014)

• CommentTimeAug 7th, 2014 8:10pm (Aug 7th 2014)

I'm so sorry CC but as you say, at least she didn't suffer a long, protracted illness. Sleep soundly Sinead, enjoy pecking and scratching at the bridge. xx :heart:
    • CommentTimeAug 8th, 2014 6:54am (Aug 8th 2014) edited

Oh CC, I'm so sorry about your little Sinead passing away like that, but you're right at least she didn't suffer. Was it a hot day there today? I've lost some of my older girls in the hot weather like that. RIP Sinead. :face-crying: :brokenheart:
    • CommentTimeAug 8th, 2014 5:40pm (Aug 8th 2014)

No, it wasn't unduly hot and they can go and sit in the shade or in the house, wherever they like. Bless her.
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2014 5:31pm (Aug 11th 2014)

Oh CC what a horrid surprise :( Rest in peace Sinead :heart:
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2014 8:58am (Aug 13th 2014)

Thanks, Red and everyone. Now Locky's gone broody. I've ordered some frizzle pekin bantam eggs...I hope one's a little baldy bad tempered one. I shall call her Sinead...:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorchooksnpinkroses
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2014 12:59am (Aug 25th 2014) edited

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: chief chicken</cite><div class="Bubble"><div><div><div><div><div>Just found her dead in the hutch. She was pecking about this morning when I left and seemed fine... At least she wasn't ill for a long time, bless her. Thinking about it she was about 6 I think. Poor little girl. Sleep well.</div></div></div></div></div></div></blockquote>

Sometimes they really do appear OK, then just drop dead. This happened with our 5 or 6 year old Pekin rooster, Ricky, a couple of years ago. He was the loveliest natured little fellow, always finding good bits for the girls and calling them over. One day he was pecking happily away and eating etc, then when I went to lock them just after dark, :face-sad:he was lying dead near the path!! I have to admit to shedding tears when any of our chooks (or cats) dies!
    PS; Why do the quotes come out like they are at present instead of with a nice little 'quotation bubble'?
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2014 4:29pm (Aug 25th 2014) edited

I always erase everything with 'div' or 'bubble' when I quote someone, aND JUst leave the 'cite' bits. That seems to do it!
    I cry buckets over any animal that dies - even Sinead, and she was a crabby little s*d who didn't like anyone!:face-smile:
    I'm glad you said about them seeming all right then dropping dead; I quite thought I was a bad mother!
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2014 6:33pm (Aug 25th 2014)

CC, you could never be a bad mother..you take great care of your critters.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2014 10:02pm (Aug 25th 2014)

I've been known to cry for days over deceased pets. When Angel, my rat, died I was convinced I had killed her and it took several days to forgive myself and realise that, even though I probably caused it (heart attack while medicating her), if I hadn't given her the meds she would've died anyway and probably had a worse death. Still hurts though. We do our best for our animals and I'm sure they must know that.