• CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2014 6:53pm (Aug 22nd 2014) edited

So... you open the back door of the hutch and put a hand in and a screech starts up from the broody hens. You withdraw the hand and the screech tails off. I may patent it...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2014 9:04pm (Aug 22nd 2014)

Fabulous! I've seen similar (though not quite as easy to control, or as musical, and a little bit more dangerous!) with grumpy cats.

Do you have a new hen yet?
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2014 3:07am (Aug 23rd 2014)

Nope, two weeks and none, one, two or three of the three fertile eggs the two girls are sharing should be hatching.Two more weeks of Musical Hutch...:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2014 7:54pm (Aug 23rd 2014)

Ooo it's better than waiting for Christmas!
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2014 1:41am (Aug 24th 2014)

Are you sure the eggs are developing, CC? I hope if they hatch, they will be little girls.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2014 1:54pm (Aug 24th 2014)

I'm not looking, I'm just leaving it to nature, Lynn. I'm risking the Shrieking to put water and food in the hutch but other than that I'm leaving them to it - they know more about it that I do!
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2014 6:39pm (Aug 25th 2014)

Yes, it's best not to disturb them unless you just have to, CC. I always use the incubator to hatch mine..the dog and I like to watch them hatch. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2014 9:55pm (Aug 25th 2014)

Does your dog sit still long enough to watch them hatch Lynn?!
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2014 1:35pm (Aug 26th 2014)

Yes, after she's chased him round the house and peeled him off the ceiling! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2014 8:32pm (Aug 26th 2014)

I haven't hatched any eggs for a couple of years now, I've got so much I have to do with the 6 horses. My JRT still thinks all of the chickens are her "babies' and is very protective of them. She really doesn't fit the normal description of a Jack Russell, she has never wreaked anything in the house or eaten my wiring. Now Frodo is a different story all together..he has eaten holes in my front deck and steals anything he can get his mouth on. He's a monster!
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2014 3:48pm (Sep 2nd 2014)

One teeny tiny yellow chick has hatched! Nugget keeps burrowing her head underneath Locky to see what's going on...
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2014 10:42pm (Sep 2nd 2014)

Yay! Hope its a girl!
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2014 1:13am (Sep 3rd 2014)

I'm hoping it's a little girl too, CC!!! Still only the one chick?
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2014 7:33pm (Sep 3rd 2014)

I don't know. I'm just serving chick crumb and scrambled egg twice a day and getting shrieked at! Any movement towards Nugget and Locky is rewarded by more shrieking and a bit of beak action...
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2014 9:27pm (Sep 3rd 2014)

Sounds more like a trip through the jungle!
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2014 5:38pm (Sep 4th 2014)

Little grey one appeared today. One egg left unhatched...
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2014 6:02pm (Sep 4th 2014)

Woo Hoo ..2 babies..I hope both are little girls, CC!!!:woohoo:
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2014 10:22pm (Sep 4th 2014)

A grey one and a yellow one - what breed are these chicks?! Are they random eggs off the internet - maybe the last one will be a duck!
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2014 6:43pm (Sep 5th 2014)

They're frizzle pekin bantams - I hope!No sign of the last egg today...they've buried it in straw and lost interest I think. It got kicked out the nest box a week or so back and may have been out about 6 hours so may not be viable.
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2014 7:47pm (Sep 7th 2014)

Yellow one is to be Butter chicken and the grey one Pepper chicken.
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2014 1:35am (Sep 8th 2014)

Please say the names don't mean that you are going to eat them, CC. :svengo::gasp:
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2014 5:56pm (Sep 8th 2014)

I can't even eat my hens' EGGS, Lynn; I'm not likely to eat the ladies themselves! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2014 9:16pm (Sep 8th 2014)

Brilliant names as ever CC! Someone once gave me eggs from her hens, and I couldn't bring myself to eat them. Thought I was weird but seeing you don't either CC just proves I am!!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2014 10:39pm (Sep 8th 2014)

I don't eat the eggs from my hens either,CC..I'm not a good farmer..I can't eat anything I've raised.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeSep 9th, 2014 1:27am (Sep 9th 2014)

I agree although I don't have hens I see what you mean. I could never eat Koko:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeSep 9th, 2014 5:12pm (Sep 9th 2014)

But if Koko laid eggs (after you'd informed the press) would you eat them? :D
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2014 2:35pm (Sep 10th 2014)

Aw, congratulations on your new babies CC!! :001_tt1:

*grumbles* I want chicks... :001_tongue:
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2014 3:38pm (Sep 18th 2014)

Nearly had a disaster last night; I went out to the dustbin but could only see one chick. Frantic search revealed chick down drain from which the cover had become dislodged, soaking wet, gasping, eyes closed...
    Rushed indoors and sat by the fan heater with the chick wrapped in a towel and slowly but surely s/he came back to life and became dry and fluffy and started shouting indignantly for mums. So I chased the girls into their hutch a bit early and put Fish (new name) under the hens and hoped for the best. At least, I thought sadly, s/he won't die alone in a drain (which Eric has sealed and put a huge flint on top) but warm and with the others. Opened up the hutch this morning and who was first out? Fish - large as life and twice as shiny. Amazing.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2014 6:24pm (Sep 18th 2014)

That's wonderful the you were able to save Fish, CC. Poor little thing must have been so scared. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2014 8:20pm (Sep 18th 2014)

It's lucky you were able to save little Fish - you'll always have a bond with him/her now.
    • CommentTimeSep 19th, 2014 10:56pm (Sep 19th 2014)

Omg CC, that must have been so scary! I am so glad Fish (love the name ^__^ ) is okay, I would have seriously panicked!
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2014 3:39pm (Sep 20th 2014)

I was mortified; I hadn't noticed that the grille had become dislodged. Kathleen says I should rename him/her Mr Muscle or Harpic as s/he's been down the drain...:face-monkey:
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2014 5:38pm (Sep 23rd 2014)

It's an easy thing to miss. I remember going into the garden when Milly was very young and she wasn't anywhere. Panicking I started yelling for her, and I heard her answer...she was in one of our next door neighbour's garden, which was about 10 feet lower than ours!! I had to climb down the wall and she raced over and flew straight into my arms :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2014 6:16pm (Sep 23rd 2014)

No harm done, anyway. S/he's exceedingly fluffy after the blow dry. Butter is definitely frizzle but I think Fish may be a smooth pekin.