• CommentAuthorEilesjaz
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2014 3:39pm (Sep 16th 2014)

Hi, I need some advice please. I have a poorly chicken and my gut tells me that she's dying of old age. She's been going downhill for a couple of days, she's not eating or drinking, she's very thin and slightly unsteady on her legs. She now won't leave the coop. I don't know her exact age as I've had her for 2years but she was given me. I'm thrown however as her comblooks healthy and her as bright when there open. I'm I on the right path as I don't want her to suffer x
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2014 5:06pm (Sep 16th 2014)

Try whisking up a raw egg for her. And apple cider vinegar added to the water can help. Perhaps taking her to a good vet might be the answer; they can advise you.
    • CommentAuthorEilesjaz
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2014 5:25pm (Sep 16th 2014)

Thanks for the advice, I went with my gut instinct and a lovely friend came around and put her to rest. He estimated that she was 8/9years old and agreed that unfortunately it was her time and was cruel to keep her alive. I don't stay as I struggle with seeing animals die but my friend did comment that as she did release a lot of fluid so I think as hard as it was I made the right decision. One question tho, does it ever get any easier making these descisions? :face-crying:
    • CommentTimeSep 17th, 2014 4:23pm (Sep 17th 2014)

No, never. But if it did it would mean you were getting hard and heartless. Sleep well, little hen. :heart:
    • CommentTimeSep 17th, 2014 9:16pm (Sep 17th 2014)

I'm so sorry for your loss. As CC said, it never gets easier, and what sort of animal / pet it is doesn't make any difference (how many times do we hear "its only a cat/dog/rat/chicken"). We have to make what we believe to be the right decision with the knowledge we have available. All we can do is remember that they were loved when they were alive, and will be loved in death too.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th, 2014 10:21pm (Sep 17th 2014)

It never gets any easier. I'm sorry for the loss of your little hen, but you did the right thing for her. Chickens no matter what their age, are very good at covering up the fact that they are sick, so by the time you see something wrong, it's usually too late to help them. :brokenheart:
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2014 3:40pm (Sep 18th 2014)

Lynn is so right; they only show distress at almost the last moment. You did what was best for her.